Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

if u like archer frisky dingo is its superior predecessor imo

honestly i only ever watched a few eps of archer before i just wanted to rewatch frisky dingo instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

alnilam posted:

i wanna read but then you'd be doxxinh yourself so I'll just assume it's extremely cool and good

The magazine is just a local history thing with a few thousand readers. The article revolves around a set of photos I found while doing database work over the summer of First Nations and Metis people with Winchester repeaters, some accounts from the North-West Resistance, and my own knowledge of the subject. It's a short history of the gun, and it's use by indigenous people in Saskatchewan. It was fun to write, because people generally think "oh hey, Winchester Repeaters, that cowboy gun," but I got to get into material and indigenous history, and turn the whole thing on it's head a bit. Also, I really like guns.

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I too dangle my modifiers everywhere I can!

I thought this was the chill forum!

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 7, 2017

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Grats on gettin publified! That's really cool.

sockingtonsworth

Hugh Malone posted:

pogram the robbit

program THE ROBBIT

e: robbit.. im a fuckin fool after all

Renegret

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hello I saw Coco last night I cried like a loving baby at the end it was real good

eukara

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Whenever I read Coco I have to think of that stupid movie Congo

alnilam

more on the film Little Monsters:

it seems very much to me that the main monster character Maurice (Howie Mandel) was in almost every way derivative of beetlejuice, and of the excellent performance of michael keaton in that role. it seems to me that mandel was deliberately copying the style, which i don't mean as a criticism because it's a great style. everything from the frequent transitions between normal/higher voice to low raspy voice, the manic mannerisms, the fact that he manicly acts in circles around an initially confused and quiet onlooker (fred savage in LM, baldwin and davis in beetlejuice) who eventually learns how to interact with him a little better, the ability to do goofy magical poo poo like growing limbs or pulling props out of nowhere... the only thing different was that beetlejuice was more or less irredeemable, whereas maurice was actually a nice guy who sincerely wanted friendship.

anyway the plot thickened after watching it, when I looked up the release dates... beetlejuice came out in '88, little monsters in '89! that is very fast turnaround for a purely derivative film.

beetlejuice came out in march of '88, so fairly early in the year.
little monsters came out in august of '89.

so do you think that LM was written after beetlejuice? that seems like an awfully quick turn-around! or is it possible that LM was already under pre-production, and when beetlejuice came out they made the snap decision to model Maurice after Beetlejuice... someone with more knowledge of film production timelines might be able to comment on this
OR
did they both derive the style of the beetlejuice-esque monster... from a tertiary, original source??? dun dun dunnnnn

pls discuss

ty manifisto

alnilam

also all in all little monsters was not a particularly great movie lol, but it made for a fun nostalgic re-watch

ty manifisto

alnilam

i'm taking this to CD as well, if there was a conspiracy between the writers of beetlejuice and little monsters the world needs to know!!!

ty manifisto

alnilam

speaking of fred savage, did anyone else besides me grow up watching this

ty manifisto

Manifisto

wikipedia posted:

Burton's original choice for Betelgeuse was Sammy Davis, Jr., but Geffen suggested Keaton.

:eyepop:

wikipedia posted:

McDowell's original script is far less comedic and much darker; the Maitlands' car crash is depicted graphically, with Barbara's arm being crushed and the couple screaming for help as they slowly drown in the river.

. . .

The character of Betelgeuse—envisioned by McDowell as a winged demon, who takes on the form of a short Middle Eastern man, is also intent on killing the Deetzes rather than scaring them, and wanted to rape Lydia rather than marry her.

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

never seen lm but a quick view of a youtube clip is enough to convince me that yeah, howie mandel was doing a thinly veiled beetlejuice impression

but that's easy enough to explain with a short turnaround. all you have to do is take a movie already in production and rewrite the character to make it more "beetlejuicy," maybe pull in a different star to make that happen. clearly beetlejuice itself went through some major changes.

can't say that's what actually happened in little monsters (the wikipedia/imdb pages don't say much about production), but it seems pretty plausible

ty nesamdoom!

Koishi Komeiji

Little monsters unironically scared the poo poo out of me when I was a little kid. My little kid brain did not "get" that movie the way it was supposed to be gotten.

Koishi Komeiji

In the scene where the kid meets the monster for the first time the monster is talking really fast and his eyes bug out and then he says something about how your dad is going to come in here with a shotgun and blow your head off. Looking back that scene is supposed to be funny but my little kid self was like :stonk:

FluffieDuckie

i googled "little monsters beetlejuice" and the second result was this something awful front page article

https://www.somethingawful.com/current-movie-reviews/madagascar-iron-sky/5/

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

alnilam

FluffieDuckie posted:

i googled "little monsters beetlejuice" and the second result was this something awful front page article

https://www.somethingawful.com/current-movie-reviews/madagascar-iron-sky/5/

that review sums it up pretty well, i agree on all points including the cringey pedo subtexts, which don't seem intentional, which makes it even creepier

UWBW

Permanently banned from the Alamo
I only have vague and misunderstood memories of the brief glimpse of that movie I saw as a child. I was at my cousin's house and his parents were, at the time, massive hoarders. I can't remember if the movie featured a really messy nasty set or if that was just my cousin's house...

Also, what board would be best to talk to people about working in tech support? Asking the yobbers cuz yall're nice :)

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig, and Koishi for the last one. TVsVeryOwn made the CyberMike.

punchymcpunch

oh come on how pedoey cant i--

oh ok he pulls the kid's pants down in the goddamn trailer

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

UWBW posted:

I only have vague and misunderstood memories
is there anyy other kind :thunk:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

UWBW posted:

I only have vague and misunderstood memories of the brief glimpse of that movie I saw as a child. I was at my cousin's house and his parents were, at the time, massive hoarders. I can't remember if the movie featured a really messy nasty set or if that was just my cousin's house...

Also, what board would be best to talk to people about working in tech support? Asking the yobbers cuz yall're nice :)

None of the computer board seem to be about working, it's like tech support and coding and something and then there's yospos...

So if it were me I would probably do a thread in ask/tell

eukara

Do you believe in life after bomb?
hope you are all doing good today

enjoy green tea and if you don't like that, your favorite beverage

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
I prefer coffee-flavored beverine.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Flavius Aetass
i just ate freshly fallen snow for the first time in my life. what a great texture!

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Flavius Belisarius posted:

i just ate freshly fallen snow for the first time in my life. what a great texture!

congratulations and welcome to the club! we've been waiting for you!

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Thank you for posting this! I tore open the shutters and threw up the sash, and sure enough it was snowing in Houston. It's not sticking, but I went outside and got a flake on my tongue and got to taste it

8^P

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

if u like archer frisky dingo is its superior predecessor imo

honestly i only ever watched a few eps of archer before i just wanted to rewatch frisky dingo instead

alnilam my friend, i would seriously recommend the last season of archer, as it was a really really good look into ptsd and sociopolitical interactions, plus the plot was really good. it is an interesting watch!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Flavius Aetass

Hugh Malone posted:

Thank you for posting this! I tore open the shutters and threw up the sash, and sure enough it was snowing in Houston. It's not sticking, but I went outside and got a flake on my tongue and got to taste it

8^P

Awesome! I'm not far from Houston and we got a whole blanket on the ground

Twenty Four

What is... snow?

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
did u make snow cream?

Starman Super DX

Tell me more!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

:eyepop:

funmanguy

What time is it?

its 18 degrees in wichita falls. O_o

Koishi Komeiji

If any of you yobs from like Scandinavia or somewhere are confused right now it snows in Texas for a few hours every ten years so this is a big deal for some. Austin got some snow too. You could hear police and fire truck sirens blaring as soon as it started everyone collectivity lost their poo poo at the same time.

UWBW

It's no joke, either. I went to college in Philly and when we had an inch of snow there were pileups everywhere. Drivers that don't know how to drive in snow are dangerous to everyone around them.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig, and Koishi for the last one. TVsVeryOwn made the CyberMike.

Koishi Komeiji

It was like some kind of byob eclipse. Imagine if suddenly :byob1: covered up the sun and you go outside and every single person is outside being all chill and taking pictures of trees and being friendly for a few hours.

alnilam

Drivers who smugly think they're good at driving in the snow are probably more dangerous than people who aren't good at it

Driving in snow is simply flat out dangerous (to yourself and others) no matter the skill of the driver and i get really mad when i hear ppl say something like "haha speed up grandma don't you know how to drive in the snow?!" like no that grandma is cool and smart to be going very slowly

also u should just avoid driving unless absolutely necessary until the streets are plowed

UWBW

alnilam posted:

Drivers who smugly think they're good at driving in the snow are probably more dangerous than people who aren't good at it

Driving in snow is simply flat out dangerous (to yourself and others) no matter the skill of the driver and i get really mad when i hear ppl say something like "haha speed up grandma don't you know how to drive in the snow?!" like no that grandma is cool and smart to be going very slowly

also u should just avoid driving unless absolutely necessary until the streets are plowed

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Can confirm the accuracy of the advice being given through personal experience:

Once, I drove on the highway right after a snowstorm. It was rush hour and I was frustrated with going like 40 mph, so I entered the far-left lane, intending to pass everyone. The problem was that no one had been driving on that lane so it was covered with fresh snow, and I started sliding as soon as I got into the lane. I swear it took me like 5 minutes to get back into the middle lane because I couldn't turn or anything. It was a 4-wheel drive car, too. So uh my winter driving tip is "don't be like me"

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Starman Super DX

I hate extreme weather. In the Winter your plans get canceled on a whim when mother nature suddenly drops a foot of snow on your area. In the Summer time it gets so hot you don't even want to leave the house (especially when the air is broken in your car). Spring and Fall are the best seasons

Tell me more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Starman Super DX posted:

I hate extreme weather. In the Winter your plans get canceled on a whim when mother nature suddenly drops a foot of snow on your area. In the Summer time it gets so hot you don't even want to leave the house (especially when the air is broken in your car). Spring and Fall are the best seasons

Counterpoint: Some like it hot.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!