Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some shows like Happy Endings suffered from having too many rapid fire jokes. They blaze past you unless you have captions on or if you're the type that rewatches episodes over and over. One thing that laughter helps with is pacing the jokes. Seinfeld and Newsradio used them well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't mind laugh tracks too much when it is (or sounds like) an actual audience reacting to stuff; really obvious canned laughter is what I don't like, like in Hanna Barbera cartoons or old sitcoms or Disney kids comedies.

I have it on good authority those cartoons were animated in front of a live studio audience.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Some shows like Happy Endings suffered from having too many rapid fire jokes. They blaze past you unless you have captions on or if you're the type that rewatches episodes over and over. One thing that laughter helps with is pacing the jokes. Seinfeld and Newsradio used them well.

The original Police Squad! was shitcanned because it required viewers to concentrate too much on the episode, and was somehow considered too "intellectually demanding" for the american audiences.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Slime posted:

I have it on good authority those cartoons were animated in front of a live studio audience.

When I was a very young child, I really and truly believed that everything I saw on TV was being performed live, even movies I watched dozens of times (I imagined the actors being like "okay, it's four o'clock, time to perform Star Wars again" or whatever). I have no recollection of how I thought cartoons "worked," but I know I thought the laugh tracks in those old cartoons were because the cartoon was being shown to a room full of people who were watching it at the same time that I was.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't mind laugh tracks too much when it is (or sounds like) an actual audience reacting to stuff; really obvious canned laughter is what I don't like, like in Hanna Barbera cartoons or old sitcoms or Disney kids comedies.

I think the reason the old HB cartoons were laugh tracked is because they were the first 30 minute animated shows on TV, and were essentially sitcoms. So the practice is antiquated now, but back then it was probably to keep people understanding what they were watching.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Pastry of the Year posted:

When I was a very young child, I really and truly believed that everything I saw on TV was being performed live, even movies I watched dozens of times (I imagined the actors being like "okay, it's four o'clock, time to perform Star Wars again" or whatever). I have no recollection of how I thought cartoons "worked," but I know I thought the laugh tracks in those old cartoons were because the cartoon was being shown to a room full of people who were watching it at the same time that I was.

I was born in the late 80s, so I was familiar with video recording and whatnot from a young age, but I still assumed literally every show was performed live in front of an audience, in one take, and filmed earlier that week. Heck, it was a revelation to me that movie scenes could be filmed out of order. So my assumption was that cartoons were animated earlier in that same week, like on a Friday night for a Sunday Simpsons broadcast or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's weird. Obviously the cartoon characters are actors.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Everyone knows that the first couple seasons of the Simpsons were performed live on Thursday nights :colbert:

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

If we're talking about laugh tracks not aging well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YguljAFU3Bc

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What I believed when I was a stupid kid was that all the backgrounds in Scooby Doo cartoons (but only Scooby Doo cartoons and other HB cartoons that looked a lot like it) were physical backdrops with people sitting behind them that somehow operated the characters like puppets.

I later upgraded to the marginally less stupid belief (when I learned what computers were) that cartoons were made by someone drawing the characters then using a computer to make them move around.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Iron Crowned posted:

Everyone knows that the first couple seasons of the Simpsons were performed live on Thursday nights :colbert:

It was actually a terrible strain on the animator's wrists.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I loved Fresh Prince of Belair's live audience. They genuinely seemed to laugh and were shook and silent whenever there was a serious scene. It helped that most of the cast were charming and all around good actors. It's weird but this goddamn sitcom obviously prepped Will Smith for his later serious roles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI4Mv8R0mE0
Like at 3.56 you can hear a woman audibly gasp and cry.
drat I love Fresh Prince.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Volcott posted:

Can you think of a show that's actively enriched by canned laughter? I sure can't.

The Wire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDIi0dzmvpE

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sarcopenia posted:

I loved Fresh Prince of Belair's live audience. They genuinely seemed to laugh and were shook and silent whenever there was a serious scene. It helped that most of the cast were charming and all around good actors. It's weird but this goddamn sitcom obviously prepped Will Smith for his later serious roles.

I like that you can tell Will was really breaking up during that scene because he accidentally skips over a syllable and has to redo. Like "I don... I don't need him..." kind of thing but I've forgotten the actual line

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
Aren't most sitcoms a mixture of an actual live audience and canned laughter to cover up holes anyway? :shrug:

Also, no show has a worse laught rack than SCTV. Dave Thomas I think said that the guy whose job it was to add laughs didn't get the show's humor and just added laughs into any empty space he could find, and it really is that distractingly bad a lot of the time.

londonarbuckle has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Dec 8, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still can't believe half of the things Audie Murphy did and lived through. I think he actually wanted to die heroically in battle and just kept on living despite his best efforts.

his autobiography states that before the war he was known as a loner with a nasty temper, and after the war he had severe depression and addiction problems so it could very well be the case that he'd had bipolar disorder or depression issues his entire life

so you may be more on the nose than you think

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Speaking of MASH and laugh tracks, I remember have it pointed it out to me once that the show never used laugh tracks in the operating room.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

"woooooooooooo!!!!!"

"oooooooooo....."

My favorite was that one dude that would shout "Yeah Al!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tumble posted:

his autobiography states that before the war he was known as a loner with a nasty temper, and after the war he had severe depression and addiction problems so it could very well be the case that he'd had bipolar disorder or depression issues his entire life

Yeah, I wasn't really saying that as 100% a joke. When we discussed him in our History of WW1 and 2 class there was a lot of debate about just what was wrong with him mentally. We focused a bit on how he was after the war, but there was a very vocal few saying that if the war hadn't come around he might have become a spree killer or something.

I don't agree with that, but I do think that he may be one of very very few soldiers were a war was a good outlet for them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

All America needs to do is enlist the mentally ill to fight our wars and hope none of them make it back because holy poo poo that would make for some nasty PTSDs.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Sarcopenia posted:

If Will Smith hadn’t become so drat famous I swear they would have done a Netflix revival by now. But Will is now Uncle Will. And his crazy millennial nephew has shown up...

I genuinely liked Fresh Prince. Despite the absolutely insane 90s fashions, it has aged pretty well. It’s got a lot of heart and people really responded to that.

Married with Children had the longest pauses for audience reactions out of any show. I wonder what it’d be like without the laugh track. Al walks through his front door, kinda stands with his mouth slightly open for about 30 seconds, waiting to say something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BiggerBoat posted:

People were talking about MASH for a while and I think it sucks and has aged terribly. Never liked that show and can't stand Alan Alda. Never got it and the laugh track makes it worse. In the wake of Franken resigning and everything we're realizing, look at things like Henry Blake copping a tongue kiss from Major Houlihan before boarding his chopper, Klinger's cross dressing and all the surgeons constantly being shitfaced and tell me that poo poo holds up.

Matter of fact, that last thing always bugged me more than anything. These doctors had to be ready at a moment's notice and were ALWAYS getting hosed up and drinking and building stills in their tents and I think they addressed that one time where Hawkeye was too hosed up to operate.

The movie was better because I don't think Altman was trying to make everyone charming or play it for laughs as much as shining spotlight on it but the TV show always felt like it was preaching and trying to teach us a Important Lesson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shame Will Smith waited too long to do a new Parents Just Don't Understand from the other perspective.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I'm convinced Saved by the Bell's laugh track was just the cast not doing anything to hide it.

You could always clearly hear Jessie and Lisa go "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" whenever somebody kissed or something sad happened or some poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

What I believed when I was a stupid kid was that all the backgrounds in Scooby Doo cartoons (but only Scooby Doo cartoons and other HB cartoons that looked a lot like it) were physical backdrops with people sitting behind them that somehow operated the characters like puppets.
This isn't actually that far off of cel animation.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mash is like the complete opposite of TV series that didn't age well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjy7uUn7fc

I have never watched this show and I skipped this video because it's a show I never saw, and then 5 quotes later I watched it and gently caress me. I'm never watching that show.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There used to be a thing in cartoons for forever where the background would be a totally different shade than the characters and whatever opened them and I always was slightly annoyed with it. Like oh, the door is the same shade as the character, it's going to be opened. I would just wait for the object to be interacted with and it was distracting

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

There used to be a thing in cartoons for forever where the background would be a totally different shade than the characters and whatever opened them and I always was slightly annoyed with it. Like oh, the door is the same shade as the character, it's going to be opened. I would just wait for the object to be interacted with and it was distracting

Yes EXACTLY the one drawer in the dresser that was obviously painted with cel paint as opposed to being part of the more muted kinda watercolory background

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I thought I was a genius when figuring this out as a kid :saddowns:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SEX BURRITO posted:

If Will Smith hadn’t become so drat famous I swear they would have done a Netflix revival by now. But Will is now Uncle Will. And his crazy millennial nephew has shown up...

I genuinely liked Fresh Prince. Despite the absolutely insane 90s fashions, it has aged pretty well. It’s got a lot of heart and people really responded to that.
The fact that Fresh Prince is both still watchable, and mostly good is a sign that against the odds of how it came to be in the first place it was a good show.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Yes EXACTLY the one drawer in the dresser that was obviously painted with cel paint as opposed to being part of the more muted kinda watercolory background

The one patch of hay in the haystack...

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
How do you get a baby to be quiet without smothering it, presumably because there are Charlies in the trees?

Asking for a friend.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's fun to watch the main characters pausing while waiting for the cheers to subside when they enter a scene.

The best part is how the show was at its best when it was mocking the gently caress out of Al for rightfully being a loser, only to switch around Season Six because the audience somehow identified with him and his trials. I think that's when the creators finally just realized they were getting paid either way and just walked and let the audiences enjoy whatever hell they had created for themselves.

At least one of them went on to create the same show for the WB and made it darker, which at least made some twisted sort of sense and explains why that show hasn't been seen for nearly twenty years.

Edit: also, removing the laugh track from Big Bang Theory (which they couldn't completely do without cutting into lines) really just shows that nobody is really a character, they're all a setup for lovely jokes. How long is one of their scripts, really? About 13-15 pages?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

londonarbuckle posted:

Aren't most sitcoms a mixture of an actual live audience and canned laughter to cover up holes anyway? :shrug:
In general single camera sitcoms don't use a live audience at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I saw that MASH episode when I was like 12 and I didn't react to it even half as bad then as some of you are now. I'd hate to think of what would happen if you watched something like Dear Zachary.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I saw that MASH episode when I was like 12 and I didn't react to it even half as bad then as some of you are now. I'd hate to think of what would happen if you watched something like Dear Zachary.

The story of that is horrifying but the way they portrayed it really made me angry. The cheesy ramp up at the end with the red filters and rising score to underscore the horror was just in poor taste in my opinion. The actual reality was awful enough I don't need to feel like I'm suddenly watching a b-grade slasher movie

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Volcott posted:

How do you get a baby to be quiet without smothering it, presumably because there are Charlies in the trees?

Asking for a friend.

sedative maybe?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

The story of that is horrifying but the way they portrayed it really made me angry. The cheesy ramp up at the end with the red filters and rising score to underscore the horror was just in poor taste in my opinion. The actual reality was awful enough I don't need to feel like I'm suddenly watching a b-grade slasher movie

Agreed, but even with it's flaws it's still more of a gut-punch than Alda ruining that MASH scene. Even when I was a kid I thought it would have been better to have him just silently staring ahead and maybe gently breakdown instead of melodramatically wailing like a first year drama student.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Last Chance posted:

sedative maybe?

SEDAGIVE??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

I thought I was a genius when figuring this out as a kid :saddowns:

It infuriated me because every time I tried explaining this to my brother he couldn't get it. I'm not sure if that makes me or him the :saddowns: