Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Maybe you could make up some sort of way of healing that any character could use, so you don't need a heal bot and people can play in a way that isn't like an mmo. Something that would thematically be kind of a pick-me-up to give you a "surge" of health. You could call it a... healing rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

pushpins posted:

Hey I'm kicking around this idea of a backpack type thing a barbarian could carry on his back that would be loaded with weapons and operated by a druid who has shapeshifted into a mouse. Here's a bad drawing of it

would appreciate some ideas of what could be added to it

Please put a warpstone inside of it which normally launches off uncontrolled cascading lightning but because its in a box it only launches out from the front when you open it. Also tell the druid to shapeshift into a rat not a mouse.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Maybe you could make up some sort of way of healing that any character could use, so you don't need a heal bot and people can play in a way that isn't like an mmo. Something that would thematically be kind of a pick-me-up to give you a "surge" of health. You could call it a... healing rush.

It still pisses me off when people say you don't need a cleric in D&D5e because the lovely hit dice is enough to fill that role.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nephzinho posted:

I don't want to run an NPC like that (though I do have one written up to show up to help as ordered by another NPC in the event it looks like a mid-boss or something is going to accidentally TPK). Really just looking for small ways to recover the odd hit here and there to prevent constant short rests without giving unlimited potions or other burst healing options. They didn't want to roll with a healer, they're not getting one.

In our case we had a cleric player lined up who then became unavailable before we started playing, so this was kind of a band-aid for that.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

I don't want to run an NPC like that (though I do have one written up to show up to help as ordered by another NPC in the event it looks like a mid-boss or something is going to accidentally TPK). Really just looking for small ways to recover the odd hit here and there to prevent constant short rests without giving unlimited potions or other burst healing options. They didn't want to roll with a healer, they're not getting one.

I just fixed the busted hit dice system.

In my game you get a Healing Surge pool that is equal to the max roll on all your hit dice. So a level 3 paladin will get a Healing Surge Pool of 30hp. This can convert on a 1:1 basis to your regular health during any rest. Anything that adds bonus healing (like the bard song of rest), you roll first at the start of the rest period before using your Healing Surge Pool. This means your fat HD martials will forever have more healing to make up for being hit more often.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nephzinho posted:

I have a party that has no healing whatsoever, trying to think of some limited healing items to provide them with. Things that would give them a little top off when they take incidental damage and keep them from having to rest every time they are touch. Don't want to just throw potions at them. Would either of these be too powerful?
For the 2h wielding Berserker barbarian, a greataxe that restores d4+CON modifier every time they Frenzy. Limited uses per rest, carries downside of Frenzy.
For the warlock, an amulet that restores INT modifier every time they land a killing blow with Eldritch Blast. Will track the number of times it activates, may be cursed and do stuff after hitting certain milestones.

Also have a wizard and a rogue/barbarian multiclass that I can't really think of something thematic for. The wizard is particularly attached to their familiar, might do some kind of "Consume Familiar" functionality?
Give them all magic amulets that grant them +con mod additional hit dice and allow them to spend and maximise their hit dice without taking a short rest as long as they spend a few minutes recovering their breath. In addition, once per short or long rest:

As a bonus action the Amulet of the Warlord allows the user to trigger a willing or unconscious ally's amulet, burning one of the ally's hit dice to grant the ally HP as above.

As a bonus action the Amulet of the Cleric allows the user to burn a hit die to trigger a willing or unconscious ally's amulet. The ally spends no hit die but gains HP as above.

As a bonus action the Amulet of the Dwarf allows the user to spend a healing surge to gain HP as above, and also gain advantage on all saving throws and grant disadvantage on all attacks made against them until the end of their next turn.

As a bonus action the Amulet of the Orc allows the user to spend a healing surge to gain HP as above, and also immediately perform an attack with advantage.

Call them the amulets of the edition warriors.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 8, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Splicer posted:

Call them the amulets of the edition warriors.

:vince:

Unironically using this.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 8, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

It still pisses me off when people say you don't need a cleric in D&D5e because the lovely hit dice is enough to fill that role.

Well you don't need a cleric. Bards and Druids can preform the same healer role.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kingcom posted:

:vince:

Unironically using this.
Engraved on the backs are the phrase "A hero goes forth".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 8, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well you don't need a cleric. Bards and Druids can preform the same healer role.

You of all people can't jump on someone for somantic mistakes. I mean't very obviously to anyone who read the post I was quoting to mean 'don't need a healer'.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

You of all people can't jump on someone for somantic mistakes. I mean't very obviously to anyone who read the post I was quoting to mean 'don't need a healer'.

I know it was just some harmless fun. I know what you meant.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

kingcom posted:

somantic mistakes

Don't you mean component mistakes? :smugwizard:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I had to slowly mold my group to realize that active healing is a fool's game. Now it's rare that anyone ever takes a class that you would consider mainly a healer.

Its fine though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The bonus action thing i hilarious because you could watch them screw it up in real time.

So, in AD&D, you didn't really have "actions" so much. You could Move, and you could Do A Thing. That's it! That's all of it. In 3e, they started complicating things a bit, which turned into a lot - rounds were no longer a minute, they were six seconds. They killed off "turns" and largely replaced them with new time increments that were never made official - 6 seconds, a minute, ten minutes, were the three big ones. And they made actions be actual actions. You no longer "could move and do a thing," now you have a move action and a standard action, and you combine them into a full action. Later, they also added swift and interrupt actions ,and just generally a lot of other bullshit.

So 4e comes in and goes well, this is a hot mess, lets tidy it up, and put it all into one easy format: Standard, Move, Minor. Standard was for Doing A Complicated Thing, move was for moving, and minor was for Doing A Minor Thing. Cool and easy. But in 4e, those minor actions got out of control and there were waaaay too many of them.

Mike Mearls, having recently ground up an AD&D 1e DMG into a fine powder, and then having snorted that powder, barged in hollaring about how D&D Next was going to be super uncomplicated and easy, it was going back to AD&D's thing of NO ACTIONS. Nope, you could move and do a thing and that's it.

...Until it came time to interview Acquisitions Incorporated, the Penny Arcade D&D thing. Those of us who remember that absolute nightmare of an interview had more then a few good laughs at how utterly inept Mearls was at trying to appeal to them in literally any way at all, and one key part of that interview was the group cleric going "One thing I really liked is how I could heal and still fight." Mearls stammered a bunch, because that explicitly wasn't supposed to be how 5e worked, and then said basically "Yeah we can write in a power right now that lets you do just that!" And so the bonus action was born!

It didn't take long for, well, just about everything to get shoved into bonus actions. After all, it was the easiest way to do up a new mechanic! Not sure it's balanced against Attack or Spell? Shove it into a bonus action! Which meant of course that the entire purpose of the bonus action - that it literally gave you a "bonus action," a free action to cast your heal spell - was erased more or less immediately. Now, a bonus action is something that isn't a bonus, and often also isn't a new action! And of course nobody for even a second considered balancing them against each other - it's only supposed to be this one thing for clerics, remember? - they're entirely out of whack. It's hilarious Mearls brings up dual wielding, because bonus actions have killed dual wielding. It's just not worth it compared to using other, far better bonus actions, basically ever.

And none of that was done intentionally. Just a loving mire of nonstop accidents because nobody is actually looking at where they're driving.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ProfessorCirno posted:

So 4e comes in and goes well, this is a hot mess, lets tidy it up, and put it all into one easy format: Standard, Move, Minor. Standard was for Doing A Complicated Thing, move was for moving, and minor was for Doing A Minor Thing. Cool and easy. But in 4e, those minor actions got out of control and there were waaaay too many of them.
I mean... and Immediate, Opportunity, Free, and No. There were still a lot of action types.

The main change to actions that 4e did was doing away with full-round-actions entirely. Which was an extremely good thing to get rid of, at least.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

The Crotch posted:

I mean... and Immediate, Opportunity, Free, and No. There were still a lot of action types.

The main change to actions that 4e did was doing away with full-round-actions entirely. Which was an extremely good thing to get rid of, at least.

Well, it also had a general power level assigned to powers that used types of actions (and what tier those powers were) which is an insanely better way than what we've got in 3E and 5E.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MonsterEnvy posted:

You tried to play this off but it's still obviously false and you're wrong.

Fffffuuuccck.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Fffffuuuccck.

Excepting the Life domain, what makes a Cleric a better healer than any other caster that gets Cure Wounds and Healing Word on their lists, which (if I recall correctly) includes Bards and Druids? I honestly can’t think of anything; I’ve run plenty of AL tables with no Cleric and they’ve gotten along just fine with a Bard patching them up.

If the answer is “a Bard has better things to do on their turn than cast Cure Wounds” then you’ve identified a problem with Cure Wounds (it’s a bad spell in combat because it will be outdamaged so you are trading your action for a chance that your fighter gets another action) and a problem with the Cleric (they don’t have anything better to do once they’ve dropped Bless and Spiritual Weapon at the start of the fight).

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Valtonen posted:

I gave my party a philosophers stone making device lifted from
FMA- ten minute ritual that requires a sentient, living target and proceeds to turn them into 2d4+4 healing potions. Theyve since started actually weighing whether the healing is really worth it.

You could combine this with the 2003 anime interpretation since they are already weighing morality and have the people given to the device come back as homunculi.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Life Clerics are the 2nd best healers due to their domain abilities.
Lore Bards are the 3rd best healers since they get Healing Word and steal Aura of Vitality off the Paladin's list.
Everyone else that gets Healing Word comes afterwards, followed by Paladins.

Who are the best healers, you ask? Lore Bards with a level of Life Cleric for 20d6+50 heals using a 3rd level slot.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

Lore Bards are the 3rd best healers since they get Healing Word and steal Aura of Vitality off the Paladin's list.

Who are the best healers, you ask? Lore Bards with a level of Life Cleric for 20d6+50 heals using a 3rd level slot.
Spend the other lore spell on goodberry for 60hp out of combat healing using a 1st level slot.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Conspiratiorist posted:

You can also do life cleric / druid for Healing Spirit shenanigans out of combat.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Splicer posted:

Spend the other lore spell on goodberry for 60hp out of combat healing using a 1st level slot.

40hp. Pretty good, but considering the level it comes online at, the classic Counterspell is a better pick (Counterspell and Aura of Vitality are pretty much the best Lore Bard 6 picks, followed by stuff you might have niche good use for like Haste or Fireball).

Now, Magic Initiate (Druid) for Goodberries and Shillelagh on a Life Cleric? Worth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xiahou Dun posted:

Fffffuuuccck.

Nope as other people have stated I was not wrong.

But yeah, In combat healing tends to only be useful in two ways. Big massive (and expensive to the point people wonder if it's a good use of the slot) heals like the Heal spell, and stuff that gets you back up if you were knocked out.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 8, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

blastron posted:

Excepting the Life domain, what makes a Cleric a better healer than any other caster that gets Cure Wounds and Healing Word on their lists, which (if I recall correctly) includes Bards and Druids?

I think the answer is when you start looking at spells at higher levels, like Prayer of Healing and Mass Healing Word, which are cleric-exclusive.

Although if you just wanna spam level 1 Healing Word to scrape people off the floor when they drop to 0 hp, you're probably best off playing a Favored Soul or Land Druid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

I think the answer is when you start looking at spells at higher levels, like Prayer of Healing and Mass Healing Word, which are cleric-exclusive.
also bards.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Splicer posted:

also bards.

every spell is a Lore bard spell! :v:

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Question: my players will be entering a mine in which a huge machine will be creating a lot of noise, to the extent that they are deafened. Does this affect the verbal component of casting a spell in any way? If not, is it too harsh to make a PC spellcaster make a concentration check before casting a spell? I'd like to add some element to the boss battle so that the PCs have to disable or shut down said machine in order to be completely effective. Any feedback would be welcome.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Shitshow posted:

Question: my players will be entering a mine in which a huge machine will be creating a lot of noise, to the extent that they are deafened. Does this affect the verbal component of casting a spell in any way? If not, is it too harsh to make a PC spellcaster make a concentration check before casting a spell? I'd like to add some element to the boss battle so that the PCs have to disable or shut down said machine in order to be completely effective. Any feedback would be welcome.

The deafened condition is on page 290 of the PHB. All it does is make you fail checks that require hearing, nothing more; it doesn't influence spellcasting. There are some rules regarding environmental effects forcing concentration checks, but that's only intended for maintaining concentration-type spells. Not for casting any spell whatsoever.

That said, you can absolutely make up your own houserule or custom effect for this particular machine. You'll just have to do so by making it up entirely by yourself, as the 5e rules don't contain anything to cover this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the best way, mechanically, to represent this Wizard:

Obviously, Strength has to be just as high as Intelligence. Is two levels of Fighter enough? That gives full spellcasting levels but removes one ASI.

This is for a hypothetical adventure in the future so the actual level of play is unknown, I'm just looking for a general progression.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 8, 2017

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
With Xanathar's out circle of dream druids rank pretty high on the best healing class, you get pool of d6s equal to your druid level, as a bonus action you can use up to half of them to heal a target out to 120' with a bonus of 1 temporary hit point per level.

A clerics healing ability if a lot more baked in then any other class. Bards only get so many spells they can pick, yeah they can pick healing word but there might be many better choices. A cleric just picks it for the day. Paladins can heal, but that eats into their expected smite power. Moon druids can heal, but dropping out of wild shape to do so isn't idea. A cleric and put on medium or heavy armor and stand on the front line, a land druid is stuck with hide or using spell slots for bark skin. Clerics are just kind of generically competent at all of those things, nothing exciting, just competent.

They become a lot better depending on if you take a dip or your domain. A level or two of fighter works for any heavy melee build. It won't get you up to multi attack great, but you will have something to do on those rounds where your not casting. Arcane lets you cast cantrips like a wizard. This is of course ignoring whatever role playing you might be into.

The cleric is basically taking 10 on a roll, it's going to pass most of the time but it's never going to be exciting.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Obviously, Strength has to be just as high as Intelligence. Is two levels of Fighter enough? That gives full spellcasting levels but removes one ASI.

This is for a hypothetical adventure in the future so the actual level of play is unknown, I'm just looking for a general progression.
Show the picture to your GM and say "i want 14 str and 14 con to play this wizard!", if he says no find a better gm.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh what the bard is again best at any given role in 5E? This is highly surprising.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm the guy in the back trying to hide my boner with my sword.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pretty sure that Aura of Vitality is old hat now that Healing Spirit is in Xanathar's. Lower level, more efficient, still works with Life Cleric.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Dragon Sorcerer. 20 charisma and bonus AC when shirtless. Ancestry: Swole

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

Dragon Sorcerer. 20 charisma and bonus AC when shirtless. Ancestry: Swole

He uses his 20 Cha to constantly lie about being a Wizard. This is perfect.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kaysette posted:

I'm the guy in the back trying to hide my boner with my sword.

He's not holding a sword, that's his actual dick.

Don't anger muscle wizard.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Magil Zeal posted:

Pretty sure that Aura of Vitality is old hat now that Healing Spirit is in Xanathar's. Lower level, more efficient, still works with Life Cleric.

It's a viable alternative for Lore Bards; it's a matter of whether they prefer the 10d6(+40) 2nd slot heal or 20d6(+50) 3rd slot heal.
Where it's really nice on, however, is Rangers. Give them a 1 level Life Cleric dip (which MC reqs they easily meet) and you've got pretty great party sustain between Goodberries and Healing Spirit.

I think Druid/Cleric is a poor multiclass so that's whatever for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He's a barbarian with the ritual book casting feat, summoning a familiar. Naked barbarians can wear non-armoured clothing, right?