Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I could swear that Zeromus has a silent "counterattack" to restore his HP to full once it drops below a threshold, to simulate having more than 65k HP. At least, there's some RPG from this era that pulls that trick, and you can skip the counter (and thereby halve the length of the fight) by taking the boss below that threshold using a counterattack, which cannot itself be countered. The practical upshot is that the boss doesn't actually break the 65k limit, they just have a workaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think its a counter, I think its one of his scripted actions somewhere above 10k health. So if you blow through that window, he doesn't do it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kaiser Dragon in the GBA version of FF6 does that too iirc, he has two pools of 65k health or something

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I need fan art of Kefka just going "'SUP FUCKERS!" ASAP

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

An amazing LP. Thanks to everyone involved, I loved every minute of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah. Thanks for the LP, y'all! I'm kind of amazed I watched so much of it; consider that a tribute to your ability to produce amusing commentary.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The ending of this game from the boss to The End is so drat good, thank you for reminding me of that (and for the whole LP!)

Silly confession time- some translation of the game that I saw named the part 3 bosses as Lady and Rest (as opposed to Girl and Sleep) so now every time I see that part of the fight I think of How Is Babby Formed because there's a line in there that says "to lady to rest".

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
For our first foray into Wily's Fortress of Death, what better greeting could we get than the old Mega Man staple...

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #13: Under the eyes of Joes
(Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and shinryu)

and in Hard Mode, well, Wily could always use a few more spikes...

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #13: Wily Serial Productions
(Heavy Sigh, NGBDSS, shinryu, Simply Simon and Word on the Wind)

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Having nothing but Sniper Joes in all of their incarnations as a level theme is a garbage idea, but man, that second half more than makes up for it. Being able to run amuck with the walkers and other joe vehicles is a rather cool and fun gimmick.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

XavierGenisi posted:

Having nothing but Sniper Joes in all of their incarnations as a level theme is a garbage idea, but man, that second half more than makes up for it. Being able to run amuck with the walkers and other joe vehicles is a rather cool and fun gimmick.
It helps that pretty much every weapon tears through any kind of joe in the first place.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I could swear that Zeromus has a silent "counterattack" to restore his HP to full once it drops below a threshold, to simulate having more than 65k HP. At least, there's some RPG from this era that pulls that trick, and you can skip the counter (and thereby halve the length of the fight) by taking the boss below that threshold using a counterattack, which cannot itself be countered. The practical upshot is that the boss doesn't actually break the 65k limit, they just have a workaround.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't think its a counter, I think its one of his scripted actions somewhere above 10k health. So if you blow through that window, he doesn't do it.

TooMuchAbstraction is correct, Zeromus gets a silent HP refill at a certain threshold as a counter attack. Once he gets below 16k HP the next time he gets damage he'll counter with that refill. Reflected magic doesn't trigger counters in FF4 so you can just spam those and only deal with his 61k(?) HP.

This old AGDQ FF4 run kills Zeromus with mostly reflected magic and deals ~62k damage to him. This more recent one just powers through it with Edge throwing duped Excaliburs for reference. They even note when the AI does the refill as a counter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scrublord Prime posted:

TooMuchAbstraction is correct, Zeromus gets a silent HP refill at a certain threshold as a counter attack. Once he gets below 16k HP the next time he gets damage he'll counter with that refill. Reflected magic doesn't trigger counters in FF4 so you can just spam those and only deal with his 61k(?) HP.

This old AGDQ FF4 run kills Zeromus with mostly reflected magic and deals ~62k damage to him. This more recent one just powers through it with Edge throwing duped Excaliburs for reference. They even note when the AI does the refill as a counter.

That's Square's answer to everything battle scripting related. Final boss changes forms? counter the first form dying. Enemy needs a fancy death animation? give it too much hp to oneshot and have it counter with its fancy death animation when lowered to oneshot range.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
We're closing in on the end of the main campaign. Today's episode is a single level of the Capital.
SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 18

This stage does have an issue that a lot of stages in this game seem to have and it's that the levels are too big and there isn't enough checkpoints to balance out the size.
For instance it takes about eight to minutes to reach the checkpoint in today's stage. It's not an easy task to get to a checkpoint without save scumming due to enemy placement and the way the stages are designed.
I would have given up on this game a long time ago if I had to do this straight because of how frustrating a lot of this game is and how precise you have to be in a lot of places to even advance.
I kinda wonder what the original un revised version was like.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Getting ever closer to the final showdown. When it's going to happen though is another matter entirely.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 19

There actually is another version of this romhack. Instead of revised it's called recharged. It's pretty interesting in the fact that it looks like a completely different game but's actually not. If you are familiar with revised you can tell what levels are what even if they look different
in terms of tileset and a few changes in layout. One note is that revised changed out hunter's castle and put processors in their place. Another point is that the majority of boss battles have been removed and the one's with scorpion have been tweaked and improved upon to be a lot better than they were in Recharged. In any case Revised seems to be a much more refined version of Recharged but that still doesn't mean I'm going for the extra content. I've seen those levels and I don't want to put myself through that.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Now it's time for EVERY ENEMY IN THE GAME to fight us.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #14: Unfinished Marseillaise
(Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and shinryu)

And in Hard Mode, a piece of 21XX technology makes its way back to the past, just for our sake.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #14: Rushed Out Overheat
(Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, dijondujour, shinryu, NGBDSS, and Word On The Wind)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Holy crap we're doing it, we're actually doing it. Come join this dead husk of a channel while we do the post mortem of Beyond Chaos. https://www.twitch.tv/feyerbrandx/

e: and done, will dump onto youtube at some point.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 25, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Now it's super duper officially done! FeyerbrandX hosted a stream last night, and now the recording is on youtube. Say hello to the Beyond Chaos FF6 Randomizer Post-Mortem!

It's still got some stream setup hanging out in the early video, but just skip to maybe four to six minutes in and that'll get you closer to us actually doing the stream.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 25, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nice going you all. I could tell you had a lot of fun doing the LP. Thanks for contributing!

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

Now it's super duper officially done! FeyerbrandX hosted a stream last night, and now the recording is on youtube. Say hello to the Beyond Chaos FF6 Randomizer Post-Mortem!

It's still got some stream setup hanging out in the early video, but just skip to maybe four to six minutes in and that'll get you closer to us actually doing the stream.

The post mortem was the part where I was dead.

Seriously. I came back!

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
And so we reach the end of the game and get one of the two endings.
SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Finale

All in all not a bad game. I kind of enjoyed the dynamic between Hunter and Scorpion. It was like Mario was taking on a pair of best friends who didn't know who they were dealing with.
The issue though was that the pair didn't seem to be as serious as a threat as Sonic made them out to be. Things became a slog towards the end with death awaiting at nearly every step due to level design and enemy placement.
The closer you get to the end the levels start to feel way longer than they should with powerups becoming scarce and the midpoint being so far away which turn things into a frustrating gauntlet if you play this game straight.
It's certainly not a hack a beginner could make it through without abusing savestates like I did but I've seen worse.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Doseku posted:

And so we reach the end of the game and get one of the two endings.
SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Finale

All in all not a bad game. I kind of enjoyed the dynamic between Hunter and Scorpion. It was like Mario was taking on a pair of best friends who didn't know who they were dealing with.
The issue though was that the pair didn't seem to be as serious as a threat as Sonic made them out to be. Things became a slog towards the end with death awaiting at nearly every step due to level design and enemy placement.
The closer you get to the end the levels start to feel way longer than they should with powerups becoming scarce and the midpoint being so far away which turn things into a frustrating gauntlet if you play this game straight.
It's certainly not a hack a beginner could make it through without abusing savestates like I did but I've seen worse.

Thanks for LPing this. If nothing else, there were a lot of interesting ideas in this hack.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
wait gently caress this means I'm the last one going right now

So we're headed to the swamp, and with it, the sort of level design you were probably expecting two worlds ago. It's still not *awful*, but this is about the point where we break out the savestates and don't look back. And no, I didn't edit out a second of the second video. You get to see every precious second.

Krem Quay: Part 1
Part 2

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

6:49 in the second video might be my newest favorite LP moment.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I adore that sudden cut-off of the entire swamp as a result of the editor only letting you work with pre-made chunks of level.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What's up with the background in that ship level? The ocean is supposed to be a Mode 7 object. I'm assuming they just replaced it with a static image to get the red color? It makes it seem so... lifeless.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

FPzero posted:

6:49 in the second video might be my newest favorite LP moment.

Augus posted:

I adore that sudden cut-off of the entire swamp as a result of the editor only letting you work with pre-made chunks of level.
I have to say, that was a very magical amount of bullshit to pile on all at once. I was watching and I went "wait where did the level go DID THEY FORGET THE REST OF THE LEVEL WHAT THE gently caress"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

28 deaths on the riding level. Not thaaat bad. I've seen more evil hacks.

It just suddenly cutting off for the barrel was hilarious though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That mandatory bonus stage in Suken Ship reminds me of a Super Metroid hack which, at one point, required you to save your game in a save station and then reload it, at which point you would appear in a different room from the save room, and would be able to progress. As I recall the creator's logic was "nobody ever puts save stations in hacks (which was true at the time, because they were prone to breaking), and this is the only station in my hack, so of course people will figure out you have to use it!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That mandatory bonus stage in Suken Ship reminds me of a Super Metroid hack which, at one point, required you to save your game in a save station and then reload it, at which point you would appear in a different room from the save room, and would be able to progress. As I recall the creator's logic was "nobody ever puts save stations in hacks (which was true at the time, because they were prone to breaking), and this is the only station in my hack, so of course people will figure out you have to use it!"

The "read my mind" method of game design, aka "why you use blind playtesters".

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't even know if that bonus was actually mandatory, I legit had absolutely no idea where I was after it spit me out, and I have my doubts that FP did either despite having the level open in the editor.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man I know about as much as you guys do. See if you can figure it out for yourself:

Click here for the full 2560x2208 image

It appears that the bonus game (which is the #97 03D8 in the top right) is mandatory because I can't see a way to connect from the rest of the level over to the No Enguarde sign in the center left.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't see a way either, unless there was a fake wall somewhere. And I can't see those in that map. Unless those are one of the things defined by the chunks themselves.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Similarly the romhack Pokemon Quartz requires you to fly to a city you're actually already in at one point, as it's the only way to reach one pokemon center and continue the plot. It's weird enough that later versions of the hack's readme outright tell you to do this in the FAQ section.

While I also love the rollercoaster levels in DKC2 there are obviously some situations they're not intended to be used in, such as precision platforming in a swamp. The sudden and jarring edge of the swamp that opens into a massive bottomless pit was hilarious, though, and reminds me of the start of Mario Maker where they literally say "uh oh! This level isn't finished! Now let's try adding an exit!"

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Similarly the romhack Pokemon Quartz requires you to fly to a city you're actually already in at one point, as it's the only way to reach one pokemon center and continue the plot. It's weird enough that later versions of the hack's readme outright tell you to do this in the FAQ section.

I remember a ROM hack called Kaizo Blue (yes, it's precisely what you think) doing this too, and it was way more appropriate there, at least.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That riding level almost seems like it was supposed to be a normal level but then the author accidentally put a roller coaster in it. None of that poo poo is even close to what the coaster is designed to work with

on a side note, if there is a miraculous third Donkey Kong game by Retro Studios I really hope they put a Disco Coaster throwback in it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That spot before the checkpoint felt like an old cartoon where you stopped all forward momentum, then dropped instantaneously.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I tell you what, I can't wait for blind jumps into offscreen enemies to happen multiple times a level.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I tell you what, it's looking like that hack is bad.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
You got your Metroid in my Megaman!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #15: Maze of the Defenders of Wily
(Heavy Sigh, Great Joe, and Crow)

And it's Still there!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #15: Wily's Pursuit
(Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, dijondujour, shinryu, NGBDSS, and Word On The Wind)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Congratulations to Simon on his new lucrative career as a Health Bar Voice Actor.

• Locked thread