Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
it kind of has to be a volcano or big natural disaster this time because you'd have to assume they'd figure out proper dinosaur containment by now. the first one was kind of understandable because hey, it's a huge storm and they did Spare Some Expense when it came to the security system, being that basically only Nedry seemed to have been the designer and only he knew the ins-and-outs.

but with Jurassic World it's kind of unforgivable... i mean how many animals even escape in the whole world? it makes the news when a cow runs down a highway somewhere, and it makes the world news for a while when a zoo animal hurts or kills somebody.... at some point somebody is going to be like "We need to spend quite a few more million dollars on these cages" and then some egghead is going to crunch the numbers and be like "oh yea that's pennies because we make billions of dollars a year because we're a park with live dinosaurs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

TLW and Jurassic Park 3 "didn't happen" according to Trevorrow.
That's not what I've read.

http://screenprism.com/insights/article/where-does-jurassic-world-fit-in-the-jurassic-park-canon

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

So, like, Jurassic World is now abandoned and it's just an island where dinosaurs roam free? Didn't JP1 make it pretty clear that that could never happen, because the dinosaurs were engineered to be lysine-deficient and would die without special man-made food? Did I forget something or did Masrani gently caress up the recipe?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just like with the dinos at Site B that dated back to the original park, Life Finds A Way.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The ending of The Lost World, with Malcolm asleep on the couch with his girlfriend while his daughter watches John Hammond speak on TV about how precious the now-undisturbed ecosystem on Isla Sorna is, seems to be a pretty big endorsement of the idea that the dinosaurs aren't all bad, and even if this view isn't imparted to Malcolm textually, it seems appropriate that his view might have changed a bit.

Especially because the script, which doesn't have the whole T. rex in San Diego portion, has a different final scene (which I only found out about just now because I was trying to look up what Hammond says), and it's pretty explicit that Malcolm's view has changed:

quote:

EXT. CEMETERY - DAY

Snow falls in a gray midwinter sky. In a cemetery, a group of
fifty MOURNERS is grouped around a gravesite next to a coffin
that is festooned with cascades of flowers. On a table, there
is an array of framed photographs --

-- of JOHN HAMMOND. A MINISTER reads from the Bible while the
Mourners wipe away tears. IAN MALCOLM stands a respectful
distance from the group, KELLY right beside him. Malcolm's
face is blank, tired, his sunburn out of place with the white
winter setting around him.

At gravesite, a Young Woman turns, looking back over her
shoulder. About sixteen, she's lovely, with long blonde hair
and an honest, open face. She notices Malcolm, recognizes
him.

She nudges a Young Man next to her, about thirteen years old.
The Young Man turns and breaks into a smile just as welcoming.

As the ceremony breaks up, they walk over to him.

MALCOLM
Hello, Lex. Tim.

LEX stands on her tiptoes and kisses Malcolm on the cheek.
TIM extends a hand and Malcolm shakes it.

MALCOLM (cont'd)
This is Kelly. My daughter.

They nod their hellos.

LEX
I'm glad you came, Dr. Malcolm

MALCOLM
I'm sorry about your grandfather.

TIM
Thank you.

LEX
We were going to call you, in a few
days. Tim and I have been thinking,
and we've decided we want people to
know about the island. About what we
all saw.

TIM
We think it's something our
grandfather would want us to do.

MALCOLM
(pause)
Why?

LEX
Because it's true.

Malcolm looks at her for a long moment.

MALCOLM
I know, Lex. But even if we're the
only ones who ever know, it'll still
be true. You see, I've decided
that if the world found out about
what your grandfather created, it
wouldn't be around for very long.

LEX
But -- it was real. You can't let
people go on saying it's not.

MALCOLM
That's the thing about reality.

He looks down at Kelly.

MALCOLM (cont'd)
Even when people stop believing in
it, it doesn't go away.

Kelly smiles and takes his hand, her slender fingers
interlocking with his.

EXT. JUNGLE - DAY

Back on Isla Sorna, we float over the deserted worker village,
moving lightly, as in a dream.

MALCOLM (V.O.)
Do you feel the cold wind blowing on
your face? That's real.

We sweep low, landing on the roof the helicopter took off
from, the nest below now careful rebuilt with straw and
scrap, a dozen unblemished eggs in the middle of it.

MALCOLM (V.O.)
Do you see the four of us, standing
here together, alive? That's real.

A PTERANODON land gently on the nest. Ever so carefully, it
positions itself over the eggs, lowers itself to roosting
position, and folds its giant wings around its body.

MALCOLM (V.O.)
And maybe that's still that matters.

The animal raises its head, opens its beak, and SQUAWKS
approvingly up at the heavens.

FADE OUT

Malcolm's whole point in the first movie is that these things are dangerous wild animals and they can't be controlled by man. And maybe they shouldn't have been brought back in the first place, but they're alive now, and they're real. They're a part of nature now, not exhibits in a theme park.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Okay, that works pretty well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

s.i.r.e. posted:

TLW and Jurassic Park 3 "didn't happen" according to Trevorrow.

What's the point of this, exactly?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

My guess is to retcon out site B

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

banned from Starbucks posted:

My guess is to retcon out site B

What's the point of that?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
An R rated Jurassic Park film directed by Quentin Tarantino would be pretty boss.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

viral spiral posted:

An R rated Jurassic Park film directed by Quentin Tarantino would be pretty boss.

Raptors don't tip

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The one undeserved death in jp3 was the guy what gets executed via neck snap by the raptors right

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I wonder how they will explain Claire not going to prison for eighty years due to the "incident" at JW

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Corporate suits don't go to prison. Tourists probably had to sign a waiver before going to the island. Or hell, maybe Isla Nublar isn't under any jurisdiction but Masrani's.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To make it realistic she should be fined $5000.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Plot twist - the fallen kingdom is MAN'S kingdom. Dinosaurs are brought to the mainland, they flourish, the end.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
That's why I laughed at the complaint that it was unrealistic for there to be a new park after the San Diego incident.

Dinosaurs actually exist now, there's too much money in it for the people trying to profit off of them to be impeded by the law in any meaningful way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Claire not going to jail is probably the most realistic thing in the movie. She probably got a job offer at the Trump Administration.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Point of interest, according to director, all trailer footage is from the first 50 minutes of the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Claire not going to jail is probably the most realistic thing in the movie. She probably got a job offer at the Trump Administration.

They probably pinned the blame for the JW fiasco on Masrani

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also fairly realistic.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The fact that the trailer seems to be only showing off like one sequence from the movie is either a bold move or a very bad sign.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

935 posted:

Point of interest, according to director, all trailer footage is from the first 50 minutes of the movie.

Yeah just from reading through the list of characters on the imdb page such as Saudi Royals Auction Consultant or Russian Mob Guy there's going to be a whole lot more to the plot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The island exploding is obviously just the premise, and the actual film will be ‘what do we do with all these mutant frogbirds?’

Undoubtedly a weird mix of refugee/immigration metaphor, endangered species/conservation metaphor, and pet industry metaphor (touching on the not-so-topical topic of pet cloning and genetically engineered pets, but really just saying “isn’t it hosed up that you can just walk down the street and buy a hamster?”).

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

porfiria posted:

The fact that the trailer seems to be only showing off like one sequence from the movie is either a bold move or a very bad sign.

Or a sign the film is not finished yet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wandle Cax posted:

Or a sign the film is not finished yet

Yeah it doesn't hit cinemas for another 6 months

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also it's a teaser. Wasn't the Thor Ragnarok teaser pretty much entirely the Hulk arena fight?

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

My Twitter Account posted:

So, like, Jurassic World is now abandoned and it's just an island where dinosaurs roam free? Didn't JP1 make it pretty clear that that could never happen, because the dinosaurs were engineered to be lysine-deficient and would die without special man-made food? Did I forget something or did Masrani gently caress up the recipe?

In TLW book and movie it was explained that the animals survived because the herbivores were eating a heavy lysine diet and the carnivores would eat the herbivores and would get the amino acid through digestion. However almost all of these animals except the Rex in Fallen Kingdom were created long after the events of the original films so it’s possible they just dropped the lysine contingency altogether.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Top Gun posted:

In TLW book and movie it was explained that the animals survived because the herbivores were eating a heavy lysine diet and the carnivores would eat the herbivores and would get the amino acid through digestion. However almost all of these animals except the Rex in Fallen Kingdom were created long after the events of the original films so it’s possible they just dropped the lysine contingency altogether.

Which never made much sense because no animal is capable of synthesizing lysine on its own and the only possible way to get it is through diet.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
If the island explodes in the first 50 minutes then I figure they kind of have to go back to the mainland with the dinos.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

They're clearly saving the human dino hybrids for the final trailer.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Clearly they're setting up a Blue and Chris Pratt buddy cop trilogy, which I'd be behind.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
With regard to Zara's death and the fact that Claire didn't even acknowledge it, I wonder if they'll be able to match the insane amount of backpedaling that Stranger Things did with Barb's death in its second season.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No, I'm sure the Jurassic World company did an internal investigation and found that the company they contracted out the design and build of the dinosaur pens did an internal investigation and found that the concrete company they contracted out to used an inferior quality concrete and rebar

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Maybe Isla Whatever is actually over a Yellowstone-esque caldera and not even Chris Pratt can stop it from exploding and mankind goes extinct while the dinos survive

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Calaveron posted:

Maybe Isla Whatever is actually over a Yellowstone-esque caldera and not even Chris Pratt can stop it from exploding and mankind goes extinct while the dinos survive

Maybe the real dinosaur is...man.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

bobjr posted:

Clearly they're setting up a Blue and Chris Pratt buddy cop trilogy, which I'd be behind.

At this point I almost think saying "gently caress it" and just doing this with someone like Lord and Miller is the only way to make this franchise worthwhile going forward.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Everyone itt coming up with better ideas that what will actually happen. I like JP but the ending is gonna be "wow we found another island we can just dump them on and let them live naturally [end scene is just the same one from Lost World]".

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Proposition Joe posted:

If the island explodes in the first 50 minutes then I figure they kind of have to go back to the mainland with the dinos.

Or they're just stuck on an ash covered island trying to survive somehow and it turns into Jurassic Park 3 from there but instead of lush jungles it's just an ashy hellscape.

I'd watch that just for the imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tumble posted:

No, I'm sure the Jurassic World company did an internal investigation and found that the company they contracted out the design and build of the dinosaur pens did an internal investigation and found that the concrete company they contracted out to used an inferior quality concrete and rebar

The entire movie is the internal company investigation. There are no dinosaurs in the entire run time.

• Locked thread