Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Picked up a 6lb strip roast for a small dinner party this weekend. Roasting at 225, how long can I expect it to take until it hits 120? Just trying to figure out timing, my usual roast beef is a small top round for just me and the wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

I was going to make some fudge for a work Christmas party. I’ll do it the old fashioned way (by crystallizing the sugars). Does the milk serve a chemical/physical purpose, or is it mostly for taste? Same with the butter.

I usually don’t buy regular milk and instead get almond or soy milk. Any idea if it would be possible to use those for fudge?

Fudge is really fiddly to make, and I wouldn't recommend just messing around with a recipe on a whim, unless you're willing to do some trial and error. Milk and butter are cheap enough that I'd say you should just go buy them.

If you do want to make vegan fudge, then I did find this recipe:

https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-fudge/

which suggests that it is possible.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I want to cook steak, but the apartment's range is electric smooth top and I was told that is bad bad bad, and also bad for cooking steak with any method, so getting a cast iron pan is a waste?

Which means I have to broil it in the oven. What can I get for that, that can cook 2-3 modest-sized steaks at a time?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bootcha posted:

So I want to cook steak, but the apartment's range is electric smooth top and I was told that is bad bad bad, and also bad for cooking steak with any method, so getting a cast iron pan is a waste?

Which means I have to broil it in the oven. What can I get for that, that can cook 2-3 modest-sized steaks at a time?

You can just stick a cast iron in the oven :shrug:

Just get it properly preheated before dropping steaks in there.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bootcha posted:

It's not ideal, but I have the same thing in my apartment, and I have a le creuset cast iron I cook steaks on like every other day with really no problems, once you figure out your ideal heat.

I've found using the burner that is closest to the size of the bottom of the pan works best. If you use a bigger burner you lose a lot of efficiency.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bootcha posted:

Cookie sheet?

Warning, it may not be perfectly flat after going in the hot as gently caress broiler

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bootcha posted:

I have an electric glass-top range and my cast iron pan works absolutely fine on it. You just need to be careful not to slide it around on the glass top, which can cause damage. Just leave it be and use a utensil to flip the steak, which I think you'd be doing anyway.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Many people saying you can still use a cast iron, either in oven or on stovetop...

So would something like this work?

https://www.wayfair.com/Le-Creuset-...hxoCwZsQAvD_BwE

I was also looking at this for a broiler pan for the same steak, fish, and lamb medallion purposes.

https://www.target.com/p/range-klee...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

While a dutch oven is good to have, the regular lodge cast iron pans can be used both in the oven and on a glass stove top. I use my 12 inch lodge skillet for almost everything on a glass electric range. Older ranges may take longer to heat up, but it should get hot enough to sear a steak well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bootcha posted:

I was also looking at this for a broiler pan for the same steak, fish, and lamb medallion purposes.

It's the basic broiler pan that comes with stoves. I have one just like it and use it all the time. It's not fancy but it doesn't warp under high heat, at least mine hasn't.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bootcha posted:

A couple years ago I got a new place and it has a lovely flattop electric stove that I haven't replaced yet. According to the factory specs the biggest burner is 19k BTU, which is a little anemic even for a residential range (which normally have at least one 20k BTU burner).

It's fine. Just let your steak come up to room temperature first and make sure you're preheating your pan adequately. The hive mind recommendation is to preheat in the oven, but there's nothing magic about that. If your fire alarm tends to go off it'll help with that (assuming your oven is properly venting). But every loving residential rangetop ever made will quite happily heat a cooking surface to the autoignition temperature of cooking oils---this is in fact one of the main causes of home fires in the US---and that's way the gently caress hotter than you need to grill a steak, cook in a wok, or any of a number of other things that popular wisdom, quote unquote, will tell you you can't do properly without specific gear.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If anything, electric coil hobs will heat your cast iron and crappy steel pans more evenly than most gas burners.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubG posted:

But every loving residential rangetop ever made will quite happily heat a cooking surface to the autoignition temperature of cooking oils---this is in fact one of the main causes of home fires in the US---and that's way the gently caress hotter than you need to grill a steak, cook in a wok, or any of a number of other things that popular wisdom, quote unquote, will tell you you can't do properly without specific gear.

It's not so much reaching temp as it is keeping temp under load (drop a pound of meat in a wok on a home stove and notice it is poo poo).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought the proper way to cook a steak was to microwave it for 45 seconds then throw it on a hot skillet for 30 seconds per side to get a crust cause actually cooking a steak is haram.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

baquerd posted:

It's not so much reaching temp as it is keeping temp under load (drop a pound of meat in a wok on a home stove and notice it is poo poo).
Nah. I mean yeah if you're dropping a pound of steak straight out of the fridge onto the cooking surface it'll turn out like poo poo, but that'll be true independent of your range.

Same with dumping a pound of protein into your wok all at once. That's just lovely technique in general, regardless of what kind of rangetop you're using.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

Fudge is really fiddly to make, and I wouldn't recommend just messing around with a recipe on a whim, unless you're willing to do some trial and error. Milk and butter are cheap enough that I'd say you should just go buy them.

If you do want to make vegan fudge, then I did find this recipe:

https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-fudge/

which suggests that it is possible.

Yeah, maybe I'll just make hot chocolate with the leftover cocoa and milk.

It definitely is fiddly though. First time I made it was really good. Second time I over beat it, by the time I poured it out it was way too hard. Hopefully I'll beat it the right amount this time!

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

I was thinking about making some special manmosas for a late night brunch thing I am doing. I do not enjoy beer. Does anyone have any strong opinions about what beer goes in a manmosa? Would blue moon, orange juice, and triplesec be too much? Thoughts, comments, rants appreciated.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have no opinions about what beer to use, but for the juice, try to use one that is clear and ideally carbonated. Cloudy juices such as orange juice will make the bubbles disappear fast

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Interesting. Thank you. I'll have to sample some carbonated ones. I've only ever had oravagina, and it was gross.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I would want a beer that is very effervescent, so a wheat beer would not be high on my list. Maybe something like Stella, Asahi, or Miller High Life? I dunno, whatever the bubbliest beer is.

Miller High Life seems like a wry sub for champagne, although the result sounds gross.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Matlack Radio posted:

I've only ever had oravagina, and it was gross.
I think you're in the wrong thread.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

rgocs posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A manmosa is three fingers of a good whiskey and orange juice for breakfast.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Use either Mickey’s malt liquor 40’s or PBR. You’re making brass monkeys, nothing “mimosa” about them.

These are serious suggestions from personal experience, to be clear.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

moller posted:

I would want a beer that is very effervescent, so a wheat beer would not be high on my list. Maybe something like Stella, Asahi, or Miller High Life? I dunno, whatever the bubbliest beer is.

Miller High Life seems like a wry sub for champagne, although the result sounds gross.

High Life is a great beermosa (I refuse to say manmosa cuz that sounds dumb as poo poo. I enjoy the gently caress outta a mimosa without worrying about emasculating myself)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Setting aside my personal feelings about "manly/girly" food and drink, I would suggest micheladas if you want to do a beer brunch cocktail. It's a pretty broad category of recipes that range from beer with lime juice and salt to what is fundamentally a beer-based bloody mary. You can get super creative with them. I like mine with a light beer (I usually reach for Modello out of habit but most light beers will do) fresh lime juice, a modest glug of bloody mary mix, more worcestershire sauce than is probably appropriate, and a dash of whatever hot sauce is handy. I don't use ice, but many people do.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Instead of bloody Mary mix, use clamato.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Spicy clamato michelada is a gift from the gods when you are hungover.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The best beermosa is Stiegl Radler.

Grapefruit bitterness melds so well with beer bitterness.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Casu Marzu posted:

High Life is a great beermosa (I refuse to say manmosa cuz that sounds dumb as poo poo. I enjoy the gently caress outta a mimosa without worrying about emasculating myself)

It's a "fauxmosa." No need for gendering names there, but as High Life is the Champagne of Beers it works out great. I enjoy both a mimosa and a fauxmosa.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I just tried to make linzer cookies with this recipe, but replaced the butter with resolidified brown butter. They completely melted in the oven. :( I even chilled the second batch in the freezer, used a silpat (batch 1), and parchment paper (batch 2), cold baking trays, etc.

So I have to think it's something to do with the temperature? Or the brown butter?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The structure of melted and resolidified butter is significantly different than the structure of never-melted butter.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Beermosa sounds better. I would go with that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I made this over the weekend, didn't turn out that good if I have to be honest. The crackling was the best part, the interior with the most spices were the least tasty. Not worth the effort IMO, but I had to pay stupid amounts to get a piece with skin from a butcher (11.90 / kg !!!!!). Getting pork belly in Finland is hard, it's always pre-sliced meant for frying.

Still I feel I failed with the skin too, didn't get it proper I felt, too hard, or too chewy. And I am starting to come to the conclusion that pork belly just gets worse the more spices you put on it, it's best with just salt.

http://www.kalofagas.ca/2013/03/10/ellasonitiko/

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I always heard it called beeroj.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Aren't these all shandies?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Cuck’s fizz?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

What does that cast iron pot have over a Lodge for 1/3 of the cost?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

uncle w benefits posted:

What does that cast iron pot have over a Lodge for 1/3 of the cost?

it's enameled

lodge has their own line of enameled cast iron too, dunno if it's any cheaper than le cruset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

BraveUlysses posted:

it's enameled

lodge has their own line of enameled cast iron too, dunno if it's any cheaper than le cruset

It is. I have a 6qt lodge enameled dutch oven. It was like $35 and is awesome.
EDIT: Their MSRP isn't that cheap, but still less than Le Cruset.