Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Rex-Goliath posted:

I've only played three games so far but I haven't been having any trouble with loot so far. Guessing the other posters who were struggling before have just been unlucky? I dunno

I'm liking this so far, though. It's definitely feeling like an actual polished finished product now.

Looting can be slower, but because the map feels so big you have more time to loot if you don't have to fight immediately. The extra time makes up for the loot being less dense. The loot might not even be less dense, we just might not know the best places yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

You actually leave the plane facing the direction your camera was pointing before jumping. GOTY

Another observation: This map just feels all-around more dangerous which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Oh also: The green things on the palm trees are bullet proof. Even their leaves. Fuckin plant stole my kill.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Did they change AWM or level 2 helmets? Level 2 helmet shot off of me left me with 1 hp twice. I should have been dead both times.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Athanatos posted:

Did they change AWM or level 2 helmets? Level 2 helmet shot off of me left me with 1 hp twice. I should have been dead both times.

They lowered the AWM damage and increased the kar and something else.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
helmet now protects the neck area so it takes damage but doesn't get the headshot bonus damage modifier maybe?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

mehall posted:

They lowered the AWM damage and increased the kar and something else.

The increased damage on the kar98 and m24, the other crate drop sniper.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Bhodi posted:

ahhaha the new map is garbage, it's larger and more spread out but the loot is ultra trash and all the buildings have twice as many pointless rooms. Even in the military base there's basically one building with decent loot and if you drop in the city good luck even finding a rifle before getting popped in the head from 1km out because everything is so absurdly open

good luck finding a vehicle

Yeaaaaaaah, I don't know about the loot but too many small rooms and there's real problem with needing vehicles to get to circles but a lack of roads. The road layout is awful.

This is going to be a map where you get killed a lot driving a vehicle or running across open fields.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 9, 2017

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
What's the point of the Winchester? What's its damage? Can it kill in one headshot through level 1/2 helmets? Because if not I don't know why you would pick it up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hackan Slash posted:

What's the point of the Winchester? What's its damage? Can it kill in one headshot through level 1/2 helmets? Because if not I don't know why you would pick it up.
It's crazy accurate with almost no bullet drop with AK damage (maybe better?) so if you can get used to the iron sights it's a beast weapon at least until you get a scope and a real rifle

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

As far as 1.0 test server performance goes, the initial game lag is awful and I don't think it's just me.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 9, 2017

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

It's basically just if you want a challenge.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
8/9 times the game has crashed trying to join a match on the test server. Never had (major, consistent) issues with it before.

Anyone else unable to play on test server?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

As far as 1.0 test server performance goes, the initial game lag is awful and I don't think it's just me.

That's because there's 100 people on the substandard servers they use for testing (seriously, the difference between that and the live versions are massive). Once half of them die or crash or leave it's fine.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I haven't tried the new map but why does the Winchester need an end game point at all; it might be all you find at the start and if it kills things seems good to me.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The test servers are super painful until it gets down to the 30s. On this map, loving around looting and then thinking you can drive into the zone is a bad idea, there are a lot of cliffs and drop offs. Also the microbus can rollover at the drop of a hat.

Framerate tanked for me one match and the game crashed the instant I died, so I think something was going on there.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 9, 2017

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

The test servers are super painful until it gets down to the 30s. On this map, loving around looting and then thinking you can drive into the zone is a bad idea, there are a lot of cliffs and drop offs. Also the microbus can rollover at the drop of a hat.

Framerate tanked for me one match and the game crashed the instant I died, so I think something was going on there.

What's going on is that it's poo poo right now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
New map looks alright so far. Looks like they really improved their optimization with it. Have they added hold to ADS yet?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I haven't tried it yet but I'm really confused as to why they thought making the map like, 50% bigger would be a good idea. It's a real shame they didn't try 4km x 4km or at least 6km x 6km.
What?
I thought the new map was meant to be half the size and more condensed.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Croccers posted:

What?

It seems a little smaller, but it definitely isn't that. They must have changed that plan at some point because I originally thought that too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love how the scaling is still completely hosed. Chocotaco was standing next to a burned out car prop and he's barely taller than the bottom of the window sill.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Croccers posted:

What?

It’s weird. The map itself seems larger but the cities are much more complex and compact and dangerous. It really seems like they made it with the vaulting in mind. It’s going to take a while to get used to but it’s fun.

There’s also less cover between cities and the light colored sand seems to make your silhouette stand out more. Plus the lack of trees with leaves allows much less visual cover.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Hope you find a scope.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

fknlo posted:

I love how the scaling is still completely hosed. Chocotaco was standing next to a burned out car prop and he's barely taller than the bottom of the window sill.
I was hoping this would of been fixed too. The scaling is my number 1 bugbear then trying to play First-Person.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Rex-Goliath posted:

It really seems like they made it with the vaulting in mind.

I thought I remember them saying there will probably be vaulting bugs because they had started on the new map well before they started on vaulting

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
The performance improvements are great. Trading the cover of trees/bushes for verticality is dope. The game almost seems like it runs too smooth now -- almost floaty compared to the janky mess of the current version

But are there any good god drat arguments for why both maps shouldn't be smaller? The scale is impressive and all, but the it increases the likelihood of the three PUBG gameplay mechanics:
1. Getting bad circles and dying out of the zone regardless of what you do. Dominating early game and then wasting 20 auto-running hoping the circle + vehicle RNG is favorable to you is terrible gaming.
2. Vast open space to increase the likelihood of getting a random instant death kar98 headshot from someone you can't see or have any chance to fight against because RNG has only gifted you a red dot scope.
3. Being lulled into a routine bore given the massive scale of the map and not expecting some idiot hiding in a bathtub with a shotgun.

Keep the massive maps for varying possibilities and experiences, but just shave 1/3 or 1/2 off the possible landing area at initial drop. Yes, this will increase the early game congestion and randomness of early fights, but the time between 60 and 20 people alive (1st circle and 3rd/4th circle?) is so dull. As someone that primarily plays squads, the most interesting/tactical experiences are positioning and raiding of an enemy camp. Or being forced to be cautious because any compound could have a team in it. Dying after 20+ minutes of gameplay just because you are forced by RNG to expose yourself for a 120 second run across the desert or wheat field to be picked off by people lucky enough to find scopes is lame and has nothing to do with strategy or FPS skill. Even if you want to be ultra aggressive and force fights to get action/loot it's not unreasonable to go 5-20 minutes without action or even hearing action.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 9, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Also lol @ ‘the wall’ and the plane going nuts doing Donald Trump impressions any time it flies over it

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I love the new car physics. They dont feel insane wacky-races-esque anymore, but i still just rolled a truck 8 times and the drove away.

(It slowed down greatly after roll 3, so i just sat there, cheeks in my hands, watching with glee as i slowly rolled downhill in an indestructible truck :allears:)

It's super fun.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Oh man, it's been a while since I have laughed this hard before (with Laenas) due to the game with Roll drat Tide.

Yesterday, our squad of four makes it to the last 5, in the fields, everyone is prone and the one guy takes out everyone except for RDT. Blue is closing in. Both of the players stand up and square off with each other, rather than running to the white. RDT pulls out his... pan.... then his revolver... then his UMP, hits the guy twice but still loses. We make fun of pan and pistol moment and we are done for the night.

We play with him again today and I ask him about it, he states that he uses the mousewheel to change his weapons. Well why don't you use the numeric button we ask, and he responds with "What and take my hand off the mouse to change weapons?", implying the number pads. Also proceeds to crash and burn the vehicle he's driving.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I enjoy that the sound of the parachute detaching or whatever when I land no longer destroys my ear drums

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Chopstix posted:

Also proceeds to crash and burn the vehicle he's driving.

This being after he keeps crashing into poo poo, and we ask him 'Are you loving driving with mousewheel as well?' and he tells us to gently caress off and if we want to drive then fine....and then flips the buggy he was driving and downs himself and his passenger

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

hey game I died so no I would not like to rejoin the game I just pressed exit to lobby from

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I think current map size is fine. I think the distance between circles is ginormous sometimes.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Good soup! posted:

I enjoy that the sound of the parachute detaching or whatever when I land no longer destroys my ear drums

Oh yeah that’s another thing they fixed: the landing is so much smoother now. It’s not you hitting the ground and sitting there for a few seconds as you wait for it to register. You cut the cord and run as soon as you hit the ground. It’s great

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Tweak posted:

hey game I died so no I would not like to rejoin the game I just pressed exit to lobby from

Hey man, I just want to be really sure you don't want to stare at the game over screen until the game ends.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So is it just me or are people firing m16s ridiculously fast now?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jiro posted:

So is it just me or are people firing m16s ridiculously fast now?

Burst fire is good

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

First match on desert map: The plane immediately kicks everyone out at the start
Second match on desert map: It's down to me vs. the final dude and the game kicks me out to the menu - "Host closed the connection"

:master:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

please wait until the ride has come to a complete stop before exiting the vehicle

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

New map is pretty fun, but loot density definitely feels off. I wish they'd get rid of cosmetic spawns. I really think it'd help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Is it just me or do vehicles run through gas way faster on the new map now?

First time I ever had a truck run dry on me before.

Also the vehicles handle way differently now, which makes driving tons more fun. Fish tailing through an open field was hilarious and equally good at evading the douche trying to hit me with a SCAR.

• Locked thread