Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

69% of people are traitors to the Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Never mind.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 8, 2017

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm shocked, no discussion of the new footage with Rey holding Kylo's light saber*?

*It's a new commercial so it's not a big secret, just wanted to give consideration to anyone trying to not watch the ads.

Take it to the spoiler thread, this is porgposting

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cnut the Great posted:

Sorry, but Hayden Christensen is the face of Anakin Skywalker now in the eyes of the public (far more than Sebastian Shaw ever was or is) and will be forever and always. Seeing Anakin happy and redeemed looking like his actual self is more satisfying on a storytelling level than seeing Sebastian Shaw, who without the obscuring benefit of make-up is way too obviously not Anakin. And with any luck we'll be getting Hayden Christensen to return in some capacity in the sequel trilogy playing the character he defined for a generation.

You've lost the Star Wars culture war in this regard, I'm afraid.

lol just stop kiddo.

By this idiotic logic of yours, Ewan McGregor would have replaced Alec Guinness in Lucas' revisionist ROTJ cut next to Hayden, but he didn't. I'm sorry you like those trashy and incoherent prequel films so much, too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

viral spiral posted:

lol just stop kiddo.

By this idiotic logic of yours, Ewan McGregor would have replaced Alec Guinness in Lucas' revisionist ROTJ cut next to Hayden, but he didn't.

I don't see how that follows. Viewers recognize Alec Guinness' Obi-Wan, and they recognize Hayden Christiansen's Anakin.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Take it to the spoiler thread, this is porgposting

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bongo Bill posted:

and they recognize Hayden Christiansen's Anakin.

lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hayden Christensen IS Anakin. We all love Anakin.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Are you now trying to say that people didn't watch the prequels?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly I don't think the Porgs are gonna be a huge part of the film. One will probably sneak aboard the Millenum Falcon and do silly gerbil things and be cute and help cheer up Chewie, but it's not like a whole group of them is gonna come pouring out from the cargo bay and leap at the throats of First Officer troopers during the climatic battle

...actually, wait

Serf
May 5, 2011

porgs own tho

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hayden Christensen IS Anakin. We all love Anakin.

He did provide unintentional comedy for a generation, that is for sure. Having the most iconic villain in cinema become a whiny little bitch that gets nervous around girls in AotC and RotS turned most people off. In hindsight, I think many prefer Jake Lloyd as Anakin than Mr. Christensen.

Bongo Bill posted:

Are you now trying to say that people didn't watch the prequels?

:psyduck:

This is what willful ignorance looks like, folks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I certainly don't. Speak for yourself.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Honestly I don't think the Porgs are gonna be a huge part of the film. One will probably sneak aboard the Millenum Falcon and do silly gerbil things and be cute and help cheer up Chewie, but it's not like a whole group of them is gonna come pouring out from the cargo bay and leap at the throats of First Officer troopers during the climatic battle

...actually, wait

my prediction is that people are going to be whining more about BB-Hate more than porgs once it comes out

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

lelandjs posted:

...actually, wait

New TV spot shows at least a few get onto the Falcon. But yeah, they seem to solely be there to be an annoyance to Chewie, which sounds pretty funny.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

New TV spot shows at least a few get onto the Falcon. But yeah, they seem to solely be there to be an annoyance to Chewie, which sounds pretty funny.

"This dog was grieving over his master's untimely death, but watch what happens when these rodents start to annoy him!"

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Darth Vader not being cool is good.

Darth Vader being awkward and conflicted is good. Also, a way more interesting choice than what most were expecting before the prequels happened.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
You know why Mace Windu never shows up as a Force Ghost?

Because he's still alive. :getin:

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I've been saying for years now, that when they finally make the Obi-Wan movie with Ewan, Mace Windu will absolutely be in it.

It'll be a buddy movie with the two of them going off on one final adventure after a weathered and armless Mace one day shows up on Ben's doorstep.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I assume that Mace will be played by Chadwick Boseman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

viral spiral posted:

lol just stop kiddo.

By this idiotic logic of yours, Ewan McGregor would have replaced Alec Guinness in Lucas' revisionist ROTJ cut next to Hayden, but he didn't. I'm sorry you like those trashy and incoherent prequel films so much, too.

It's an apples and oranges comparison. Alec Guinness actually played a character in a bunch of scenes in multiple Star Wars films. People recognize him as Obi Wan. Nobody sitting in a theatre today will give a poo poo about Shaw or have any idea who he is, whereas most people saw the prequels and remember that Christensen played Anakin. It's a very simple concept, the quality of the prequels as films as zero to do with it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

viral spiral posted:

:psyduck:

This is what willful ignorance looks like, folks.

Then I'm going to need you to explain the joke. Do you think that viewers would not recognize the actor?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

viral spiral posted:

Lucas decided to turn the ghost thing from poo poo to diarrhea by inserting ghost Hayden Christensen into ROTJ. That part was even more appalling than that Jedi Rock song in Jabba's palace.

This can be cool if her father turns out to be Snoke or something.

jorge lukiss pooed on me!!

Rey's parents will be skywalkers or nobodies from the new eu. Snoke is just a Sheev clone.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Saw the latest trailer and hell yeah "TRAITOR" dude is back!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Saw the latest trailer and hell yeah "TRAITOR" dude is back!

He’s dead, though. He got blasted in the chest in TFA and fell to the ground, dead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gonz posted:

He’s dead, though. He got blasted in the chest in TFA and fell to the ground, dead.

He got better

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Bongo Bill posted:

Then I'm going to need you to explain the joke. Do you think that viewers would not recognize the actor?

Most people can figure out who the character is supposed to be, but if you're watching the whole film series for the first time then it's not super bizarre to think audiences wouldn't recognize the guy in the 3rd movie who doesn't actually show up until the 5th movie.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Gonz posted:

He means Finn

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ror posted:

Most people can figure out who the character is supposed to be, but if you're watching the whole film series for the first time then it's not super bizarre to think audiences wouldn't recognize the guy in the 3rd movie who doesn't actually show up until the 5th movie.

But Christensen as Anakin shows up in the 2nd movie?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

But Christensen as Anakin shows up in the 2nd movie?

what kind of monster would ask someone to slog through the prequels first

thats almost as bad as asking someone to watch rogue one before a new hope

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The correct order for watching Star War is in release order. I know this because I just finished watching them in chronological order. Release order flows best because that's the order that ideas are introduced into the narrative.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I just did the same and I'd have to agree.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Here is my Star Wars watch order before the midnight screening of Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi:
Episode 1
Episode II
Episode NOO
Episode V
Episode VI
Rogue One
I'm going to time the marathon so when Rogue One ends I'll be on my cinema seat with my iPad and earphones.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Here's mine:

Jedi Party
The Friend Zone
Revenge of Middle Management
Laser Moon Awakens
Attack of the Phantom Past

And hopefully The Last Laser Master.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Here's mine:

None.

I might get to watch TLJ in theaters next year.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

loving lol, how out of touch do you have to be to think that Hayden Christensen *isn't* the actor most associate as Anakin Skywalker? Like, probably the greater proportion of internet OT Jorj-ruined-my-childhood "fan" purists don't even know the name of the actor who we see as Anakin in ROTJ.

Similarly, how detached are you to think that Wedge 2-minutes-of-screen-time-across-3-movies Antilles *should* be higher rated on some approval poll than JarJar Binks?

Not only is JarJar a far more memorable character (which would have an obvious effect on these types of polls where 'like' and 'remember' are casually interchanged with 'approve' no doubt), but he actually has characterization. Wedge is a "character" only in the technical sense.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm surprised Wedge was on the list at all.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

loving lol, how out of touch do you have to be to think that Hayden Christensen *isn't* the actor most associate as Anakin Skywalker? Like, probably the greater proportion of internet OT Jorj-ruined-my-childhood "fan" purists don't even know the name of the actor who we see as Anakin in ROTJ.

Similarly, how detached are you to think that Wedge 2-minutes-of-screen-time-across-3-movies Antilles *should* be higher rated on some approval poll than JarJar Binks?

Not only is JarJar a far more memorable character (which would have an obvious effect on these types of polls where 'like' and 'remember' are casually interchanged with 'approve' no doubt), but he actually has characterization. Wedge is a "character" only in the technical sense.

It's not "out of touch," it's a knee-jerk reaction that Prequels Equals Bad no matter what, and literally nothing can be recognized as good or even relevant coming out of them. Purely ideological.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ceramic Porg Mug at the grocery store last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

The correct order for watching Star War is in release order. I know this because I just finished watching them in chronological order. Release order flows best because that's the order that ideas are introduced into the narrative.

I agree. I did the same thing and it didn't flow as well as watching in release order.