Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Played twice, hated the card modifiers - they make zero sense. If I wanted RNG, dice would be much more suitable, especially for a dungeon crawler. In addition, the modifiers also decide between life and death - and most of the time you'll whiff half of your attacks!

People who compare this to Kingdom Death: Monster and/or say it is better need a head examination. Perks are pathetically designed, but you'll need them if you ever want to make it through any number of scenarios without getting mauled to death by the number of shoddy modifiers.

The campaign itself SUPER BORING, even the original 8-Bit/16-Bit RPG dungeon crawlers like Final Fantasy had masses of immersion for primitive technology. We are living in the 21st century, using the mightiest platform to promote the modern fantasy genre, and yet a developer has managed to create something worse for something so simple and so hyped! How has this happened!?

I'm not personally a D&D player (or other RPG player for that matter), but I found that there are a lot of twists and turns involved when the Gamemaster is able to freely create an ideal experience.

I hope to never find a game as disappointing as Gloom(and Doom)haven in my life ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My son and I took another kick at scenario 2 tonight.

We went real fast. I didn't even complete my rest - we finished the scenario while I was doing my first long rest. I had used the Stamina potion though. That put us on like... Turn 7?

We missed the treasure though. Does that means we can never get it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kiranamos posted:

Played twice, hated the card modifiers - they make zero sense. If I wanted RNG, dice would be much more suitable, especially for a dungeon crawler. In addition, the modifiers also decide between life and death - and most of the time you'll whiff half of your attacks!

People who compare this to Kingdom Death: Monster and/or say it is better need a head examination. Perks are pathetically designed, but you'll need them if you ever want to make it through any number of scenarios without getting mauled to death by the number of shoddy modifiers.

The campaign itself SUPER BORING, even the original 8-Bit/16-Bit RPG dungeon crawlers like Final Fantasy had masses of immersion for primitive technology. We are living in the 21st century, using the mightiest platform to promote the modern fantasy genre, and yet a developer has managed to create something worse for something so simple and so hyped! How has this happened!?

I'm not personally a D&D player (or other RPG player for that matter), but I found that there are a lot of twists and turns involved when the Gamemaster is able to freely create an ideal experience.

I hope to never find a game as disappointing as Gloom(and Doom)haven in my life ever again.

Source?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Jabor posted:

Source?

I had the TTS version of this from the kickstarter. Just didnt feel like this game was anygood. Strategy was to save cards by rushing to the boss and killing as little as possible while trying to get gold and avoid traps. There is no repercussion for loosing, you just do it again and grind out XP. The writing was just mediocre generic fantasy. I dont understand what the big deal was? Kingdom Death: Monster is way better.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

^^ that's not you is it. Cause lol you haven't actually played if that's you idea of how the game works.

Jordan7hm posted:

We went real fast. I didn't even complete my rest - we finished the scenario while I was doing my first long rest. I had used the Stamina potion though. That put us on like... Turn 7?

You can replay the scenario. You don't get any end rewards (the grey box that says unlock scenario xyz and get 20xp)

You do get any gold and treasures and exp as normal for winning a scenario. The treasure doesn't reset after you get it once.

All that to say. You can replay it...or 'replay It' and get the treasure

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 8, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

You can replay the scenario. You don't get any end rewards (the grey box that says unlock scenario xyz and get 20xp)

You do get any gold and treasures and normal so for winning a scenario. The treasure doesn't reset after you get it once.

All that to say. You can replay it...or 'replay It' and get the treasure

I'll probably replay the scenarios solo or something then. Something about getting the treasure without actually replaying it seems wrong to me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I'll probably replay the scenarios solo or something then. Something about getting the treasure without actually replaying it seems wrong to me.

I' d peak at it and first and see if it's just a 10gold or something. You don't have to win the scenario. You keep gold and treasures even losing

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Treasure spoiler: this one I actually got, and its only 10 gold

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
so if you can replay things does that mean that technically the game lasts forever despite the fact it's legacy? Like you can always just pull out an old class or w/e after you 'beat' the game and play some more with it?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah. Besides the random cards scenarios you can just play forever. Or replay scenarios.

Also since things scale well. You can do that 1st boss with some level 7 hero's and still have a challange!

Note:you don't advance the campaign this way or get the written scenario rewards. But you CAN get gold xp and checkmarks! No city or road events

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 8, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The only thing missing is that you'll stop retiring characters once you run out of personal quests to accomplish.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jabor posted:

The only thing missing is that you'll stop retiring characters once you run out of personal quests to accomplish.

That would...be a lot

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah. Besides the random cards scenarios you can just play forever. Or replay scenarios.

Also since things scale well. You can do that 1st boss with some level 7 hero's and still have a challange!

Note:you don't advance the campaign this way or get the written scenario rewards. But you CAN get gold xp and checkmarks! No city or road events

this makes me more likely to maybe pick it up then; the idea that it can be replayed even if the story itself can't is pretty cool.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I mean, you're talking about a literal 100 hour campaign that you are worried about finishing, and you're assuming you won't just want to play Gloomhaven 2 that came after spending 5 years on the first one.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nearly done with our first scenario....definitely got some rules wrong along the way. There were several occasions where monsters would flip e.g. Shield1 Retaliate2 and we were playing it as though they had those bonuses the whole round rather than just after their initiative turn. I also think there were a couple points where we flipped one modifier card for multi-target attacks, and we DEFINITELY didn't handle me running to a door and popping invisibility quite right (although tbh it was pretty close).

My scenario goal is to earn 13 XP, which I thought would probably be doable with the Spellweaver...unfortunately even with judicious use of my stamina potion and the card that lets me recover lost cards once a scenario I don't think I'm going to break 10. You don't get XP for killing stuff, right? I couldn't find anything in the rules about it. Does the bonus XP for clearing a scenario count towards personal goals like that?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Actually that brings up a strategy question I've had as well; How do you guys handle entering new rooms?

Aside from going invisible, putting up a big shield, or similar, it just seems that entering a new room is usually a great way to make yourself into a pincushion as all the monsters inside get turns usually right after. It's one of the few rules that just feels like there's got to be a better way.

Possible scenario 1 not-really spoiler? That was why I exhausted in scenario 1 (I chose to take the hit so the two people who'd never played before would have a chance to play longer and the archers and bandits within just immediately took half my cards and most of my life away).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm playing with a Scoundrel and I straight up had to tell her to quit tanking hits with her cards because yeah, obviously you don't have tons of health to play with, but I can't loving range-3 heal your lost cards.

I think you just really need to be ready when you open a door - everyone should rest up on the same turn so you're as close to full strength as possible before facing the inevitable horde.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Nearly done with our first scenario....definitely got some rules wrong along the way. There were several occasions where monsters would flip e.g. Shield1 Retaliate2 and we were playing it as though they had those bonuses the whole round rather than just after their initiative turn. I also think there were a couple points where we flipped one modifier card for multi-target attacks, and we DEFINITELY didn't handle me running to a door and popping invisibility quite right (although tbh it was pretty close).

My scenario goal is to earn 13 XP, which I thought would probably be doable with the Spellweaver...unfortunately even with judicious use of my stamina potion and the card that lets me recover lost cards once a scenario I don't think I'm going to break 10. You don't get XP for killing stuff, right? I couldn't find anything in the rules about it. Does the bonus XP for clearing a scenario count towards personal goals like that?

You don't get XP for killing stuff, but I would think that scenario completion XP counts toward that goal.

My strategy for entering new rooms is to have enough extra movement to be able to back out again if needed. Monsters in newly revealed rooms do not activate until after the door opener's turn is completed.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

CaptainRightful posted:

My strategy for entering new rooms is to have enough extra movement to be able to back out again if needed. Monsters in newly revealed rooms do not activate until after the door opener's turn is completed.

That sounds like it would probably work well. Draw lingering monsters off the back wall and towards you a bit too.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

You can use your invisibility cloak any time during your turn, so it's not a big deal to have used it prior to opening the door and blocking entry (although archers can shoot over you still). Getting enough XP from your cards with the Spellweaver usually means getting 6XP from 2xFire Orbs, and then whatever else you muster up. Our spellweaver got 14XP which was the most of any character in that scenario, so it's definitely doable. I used Frost Armor twice to get 4XP as well. It paired well with opening the door and tanking 2 hits for free. And you don't get XP for killing stuff, and the bonus XP does not count.

keldon
May 14, 2009
As the Brute I'm usually the first one through a door. I typically use my Boots for +2 move since I don't know exactly where enemies will spawn. I try not to look too closely at the scenario book until we actually open the door. Then I run in and, if possible, blow up one of the enemies before it gets a turn. Usually this isn't a problem with Balanced Measure (attack for how much you moved, which is usually 6 after boots). If that's not in my hand for whatever reason I do the Attack 2/Disarm skill, or use my Warhammer to stun things. Since I'm the Brute I tend to have enough HP to deal with whatever attacks they manage to put out after that.

It's always an easy choice when I draw the battle goal to open a door.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

CaptainRightful posted:

You don't get XP for killing stuff, but I would think that scenario completion XP counts toward that goal.
It doesn't. If it did, the goal for gaining a small amount of XP would be impossible.

Remember that after opening a door you flip cards for any new monsters before you finish your turn. Since you know what they're going to be doing it's usually possible to leave yourself in a safe spot.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, make sure you're opening the door with enough movement left to adapt to the situation. It's not very heroic, but opening the door and then immediately backing off can go a long ways.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I actually didn't realize stopping on a door merely paused your movement rather than ending it. Fortunately it hasn't been an issue for us yet but that's good to know

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I just realized that I'm 10% through gloomhaven (assuming 60-70 scenarios) after only owning it for two days and I'm already wishing I either got removable stickers or a second copy.

This is the best game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How were the Kickstarter scenarios? I'm not looking to do them anytime soon but I'd like to know if they're worth messing with eventually aside from just being More Stuff.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

I just realized that I'm 10% through gloomhaven (assuming 60-70 scenarios) after only owning it for two days and I'm already wishing I either got removable stickers or a second copy.

This is the best game.

I'm 20% and while I don't regret reg stickers. I am sad I'm only staring at 150 more hours and not 200

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
The good news is that Isaac is working on an expansion.

He's looking to add in puzzle elements to break up the combat heavy feel which could be really interesting.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Those standee bases will ruin the standees though, they are way too solid, you can't pinch them to open like you can in other games. I'll have to buy different ones otherwise the monsters will look like rear end in no time.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Countblanc posted:

How were the Kickstarter scenarios? I'm not looking to do them anytime soon but I'd like to know if they're worth messing with eventually aside from just being More Stuff.

They are good. A couple flops (in my opinion), but they are all creative. He tries out new gameplay concepts in them, it’s a different experience from the main game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Monsters in newly revealed rooms do not activate until after the door opener's turn is completed.

Well I have been reading that wrong for 10 months now. :argh:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Hopper posted:

Those standee bases will ruin the standees though, they are way too solid, you can't pinch them to open like you can in other games. I'll have to buy different ones otherwise the monsters will look like rear end in no time.

Yes I am worried about this too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm seriously THIS close to just using coins for any of the standees that have multiples of a type, it's too big of a pain to fit them all back in their Broken Token boxes again after dumping them out and I'm already using the app for monster decks anyway

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Uuuuuuum. You weren't kidding about Music.

The permanent retaliate 2 range 2 is insane. Also the extra movement is huge. I swaped between those as necessary. gonna trade the autoheal for a different 1 or x. not worth it

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Uuuuuuum. You weren't kidding about Music.

The permanent retaliate 2 range 2 is insane. Also the extra movement is huge. I swaped between those as necessary. gonna trade the autoheal for a different 1 or x. not worth it

The autoheal is one of my most used songs. Not because the amount of healing is worth it, but because it clears Wound and especially Poison like a champ. And then someone else can use a big heal without wasting it. Admittedly, this is pretty scenario-specific, but it's a godsend in those scenarios. And the bottom half is one of the few support abilities the Soothsinger can use on themself, as well as a decent ranged heal. By contrast I've basically never used the Song of Speed.

Edit: Non-spoilery, that reminds me of an easily missed rule: you are not your own ally. Abilities that target allies will not affect you unless specifically stated that they do. (But ranged heals can be used on self or at range, unless they specifically only work on allies.)

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 9, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah I noticed that second one. That class has lots of cool super powerful looking perks. Then I drew hit cards maybe 3 times the whole scenario!

The first use you said does sound really useful. The speed increase was really nice with a summon heavy class. allies running all over the map! and Cragheart double ranged with range 4 attacks wasn't hurting either. Until we outlevel it's usefulness retaliate will be default. It's crazy good

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Retired Rockman the Cragheart tonight. Got Ubisoft. That looks fun to me but my daughter is going to play spellweaver for the less complexity.

A 4 year old posted:

Goodbye, you were a good rockman Rockman

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
My son retired his tinkerer this morning and opened the mindflayer character box. Completely different.

The new characters really give the game a new lease on life, as the combat was getting a bit samey.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Beffer posted:

My son retired his tinkerer this morning and opened the mindflayer character box. Completely different.

The new characters really give the game a new lease on life, as the combat was getting a bit samey.

Mindflayer is 3rd tier in the class power rankings at high/boosted scenario level, alongside (symbol) sun.

Music note is 1st tier by themselves. 2nd tier is (symbols) circle+crescent and triforce.

everything else is lower. of course everything is viable if you play it right, but some classes are much better than others as enemy level rises.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Played through the first scenario today with some friends. I was playing Ratboy the Mindthief and I got loving bodied, forced to retreat in the corridor because I ran out of cards. The rat really goes through cards like nobody's business, doesn't he?

I know how to play better next time.