Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
you can play druid pretty far solo afiak.

dualboxing just gives people more options because you get 2 dudes and 2 merc npcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Is there a spellcasting class that is particularly well-suited for solo-content?

It seems like there's not a lot of love for druids today, from what I've been reading. I remember solo content being a lot of fun as a Shaman originally, but I don't want to play a healing class again..

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Dennis McClaren posted:

Is there a spellcasting class that is particularly well-suited for solo-content?

It seems like there's not a lot of love for druids today, from what I've been reading. I remember solo content being a lot of fun as a Shaman originally, but I don't want to play a healing class again..

Don’t play any caster that’s not a heal class on live or a TLP server (phinny/agnarr).

You need to decide what server really you want to play on. If you want to play on live and just mess around solo then a monk or SK is ideal honestly.

TLP (either), I would go SK or any melee class although rogue would be the lowest choice for solo.

Casters are in a really bad place atm.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Dennis McClaren posted:

In that case - can you recommend anyone recommend me a server? American Central player here...

The OP makes it seem like a pretty serious decision...

Very excited to start up a Druid. I played EQ1 back as a young teenager and I think somehow that's how I got introduced to S.A. back in 2003.
Is it okay to NOT be able to dual-box 2 classes? I'm just going to be running this on my laptop; I don't have more computing power to dual box.

Project 1999 is probably closer to what you are looking for.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Population wise between the TLPs its Phinegal barely edging out Agnarr, but both have higher population than any live server.
Phinegal is currently on the Dragons of Norrath expansion, which was just opened yesterday. Lvl Cap 70 currently, new expansion every 3 months roughly.
Agnarr is on Velious and will be locked once it reaches LDoN. Current level cap 60, max 65 at LDoN.

Live servers have much lower populations but also have stuff like mercs so solo leveling isn't bad.

So gotta figure out what server you wanna play on. Then what class to go along with it. On the TLPs melee are stronger than casters in most cases like Tai mentioned.
Druids are fine.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

This is hard to understand.

So, TLP servers DO NOT let you have mercs, but they have higher populations...

Regular F2P servers, (are these the live servers?) or standard servers DO let you hire mercs, but have much lower populations...

So if I have that correct, myself personally I would just want to play on a higher population server.

So after I sign up, pay for the expansions, and start a new character, I've got to pick a class.

But it seems like picking a class that's not gimp depends on picking your server? In that case if I went Phinny, what classes are BROKEN? I don't want to be pigeonholed into a melee class just because they're better, but I also don't want to pick a class I like and it turn's out everyone on TLP servers says the class is poo poo.

I'm sorry to talk so much about this especially for you experienced players, but it's hard to grasp. The only classes I don't want to play for sure are - Cleric, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, SK, or Mage. So that leaves me the rest of the classes to choose from. I just don't want to pick a gimp. It takes a lot of work to restart a character in EQ if you don't like what you choose...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
TLP servers will get mercs with the appropriate expac, along with other features. Most features are properly tied to the expac they came out. Like on Phinny, DoN just came out, so we just got potion belt, bandolier, guild hall.

So Agnar locks at LDON, so it'll never have mercs. Phinny will have mercs eventually.

TLPs require a sub or krono to play.

Regular F2P servers are live servers, yes. They have mercs because those expansions are out there.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

So essentially the different is that Phinny is just coming along slowly like the original game was; without everything unlocked from the start... That's it? Seems fine to me, definitely worth it for a larger pop. to play with.

Thanks for helping with that.

si
Apr 26, 2004
There's also the emu servers, like Project 1999 - that has its own thread. Which is a bit different in that they aren't the official paid for game. Depends if you're after the new content (eventually?) or not.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I prefer the TLP I think. P99 sounds way too hardcore for my tastes haha. Can't believe I used to play that way 8 hours a day on weekends as a teen.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea TLP is the way to go if you want to relive your glory days.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Class wise you can always play whatever you want but if you start raiding a pick a class based on that then there are definitely tiers between the classes depending on the role you want to play. If you want to dps you need to decide between caster or melee. Currently melee dps out does caster dps by quite a bit. But you generally won't be shunned if you pick something suboptimal unless you pick a necromancer. They have the worst time finding groups. And from a raiding perspective if you aren't able to put out 50% of the damage of a berserker or monk, even if you are fully geared it starts to wear down on most people because class balance is poo poo.
Raid dps ranking is berserker monk rogue and then a large gap behind are wizards mages beastlords sks warriors and the like. I can't say I remember where rangers are falling on parses atm. Beastlords are neck and neck with tanks though which makes me really sad.

Healers rank cleric, shaman, druid and afaik that's the ranking they always stay in that order, but clerics are strictly only good at healing while the other utility such as shaman slows or druids damage shields and ports.

Tanks warriors make the best raid tanks because of defensive, sks make the best group tanks now strictly because of dread gaze an ae threat spell. Paladins are best rampage tanks because of divine aura hammer. All are fine in groups but sk has an edge.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

That was very helpful, thank you.

I went with a Druid, because I think it will give me a nice mix of the things I want to do. Travel easy, heal myself, do a little damage, and occasionally get a group. Ports, SoW, invis will be nice to level with. I always wanted to play one originally, they look like a lot of fun. Anything I should know about them on a TLP?

Also, in general, is there a good site or forums to go and research your class on?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 7, 2017

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

Dennis McClaren posted:

I went with a Druid, because I think it will give me a nice mix of the things I want to do. Travel easy, heal myself, do a little damage, and occasionally get a group. Ports, SoW, invis will be nice to level with. I always wanted to play one originally, they look like a lot of fun. Anything I should know about them on a TLP?

Also, in general, is there a good site or forums to go and research your class on?

You said that you didn’t want to play a healing class again but then picked Druid so I’m confused.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Well I should have said I don't want to play a pure healer. I was a maxxed out Cleric originally. At least druid has some versatility. My apologies.

Do the beginning quests that you receive as a lv1 from the guildmasters in your starting town - do they not get logged in your "alt-q" quest box? The 3 Gm's in the lil druid grove in Surefall Glade gave me tasks to complete "deliver this flask to so and so" , but none of the tasks they gave me show up in the quest box...

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 8, 2017

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Quest log? This is EQ, man.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
You won't see stuff hit task menu until DoN

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Awesome. I guess it makes the quest feel more real if you have to write it down.
This is EQ for sure - it took me almost an hour just to get lv2. No other MMorpg would make you sit through that haha. I love it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what is a "rampage tank"?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

gradenko_2000 posted:

what is a "rampage tank"?

A lot of bosses rampage which means they sent extra attacks towards the first person to get aggro and is in melee range, it's usually less damage than boss hitting main tank, but still very significant. Paladins can mitigate a ton of this damage from a hammer that drops in Luclin that procs divine aura. The rampage hits still go to Paladin but divine aura gives 18 secs of invulnerability per proc and it procs a lot. Any tank can do rampage and sometimes other classes but paladins trivialize that whole mechanic.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Dennis McClaren posted:

Travel doesn’t mean a lot any more with PoK
You’ll heal in a group. That is it. You won’t have the down time to damage as your heals aren't optimal like a cleric
Everyone has SoW via run speed AA or pots.
Your damage is trash
You can’t solo for poo poo past kunark
Everyone has invis via cloudy potions

Just letting you know about the class if the appeal of it is that it can do a bit of everything.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tai posted:

You’ll heal in a group. That is it. You won’t have the down time to damage as your heals aren't optimal like a cleric
Your damage is trash

Just letting you know about the class if the appeal of it is that it can do a bit of everything.

Druids also get a useful debuff or 2 but nothing like malo. Druids aren't bad, they heal just fine in groups post PoP, probably earlier now that they made all the changes to priests.

Also, you can solo just fine past kunark, luclin you can quad (or if you really have balls pbaoe kite), PoP you can charm kill poo poo, past that I never really soloed as we boxed our own group.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
As always, make friends in EQ.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Tai posted:

Your damage is trash

Lol what a letdown! But I would much rather hear the truth then spend all my time learning it the hard way.

Are enchanters still useful as a class in EQ?

I think I'll pass on a druid. Sadly, most of the replies in this thread boil down to what sounds like - "If you want to tank, play an SK; they're best. Don't play a caster; their damage is poo poo and melee is way better; if you want to DPS your choice is zerk, or monk."

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I'm a level 5 Enchanter on Phinny - name : Chabuddy - so any goons on Phinny please hook a goon up with a friend!

Why are only some zones showing up on the map tab? When I enter a new zone, say Butherblock, the map doesnt always show in the map tab...

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm a level 5 Enchanter on Phinny - name : Chabuddy - so any goons on Phinny please hook a goon up with a friend!

Why are only some zones showing up on the map tab? When I enter a new zone, say Butherblock, the map doesnt always show in the map tab...

They don't have maps for all the zones by default. You want these: http://www.eqmaps.info/eq-map-files/

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Bingo! thanks mate.

Are there any well-known leveling guides out there? Where to grind exp optimally at your level, something like that? Or some site/channel that shows you all the tips/tricks for getting started - stuff to make playing easier?

And finally one last ? - it was said above that there is a run speed AA that replaces SoW. I'm sure that won't happen for a long time for me. Is there anything I can do now at low levels to help my run speed? I am SLOOOOOW

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 9, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Dennis McClaren posted:

Bingo! thanks mate.

Are there any well-known leveling guides out there?

http://almarsguides.com

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

MF_James posted:

Druids also get a useful debuff or 2 but nothing like malo. Druids aren't bad, they heal just fine in groups post PoP, probably earlier now that they made all the changes to priests.

Also, you can solo just fine past kunark, luclin you can quad (or if you really have balls pbaoe kite), PoP you can charm kill poo poo, past that I never really soloed as we boxed our own group.

Quad kiting is pointless. If you are on live, your merc will be levelling you. If you are on a TLP then it’s far far far far (x100) better exp to get a group.

I forgot the fire/ice debuff. On Anguish raids, that debuff is noticeable if it’s not on a raid boss.

Yea as I said they heal fine but why bother playing a Druid if you want to be a healer.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Dennis McClaren posted:

Bingo! thanks mate.

Are there any well-known leveling guides out there? Where to grind exp optimally at your level, something like that? Or some site/channel that shows you all the tips/tricks for getting started - stuff to make playing easier?

And finally one last ? - it was said above that there is a run speed AA that replaces SoW. I'm sure that won't happen for a long time for me. Is there anything I can do now at low levels to help my run speed? I am SLOOOOOW

Open the bazaar and search for wolf. Blood of the wolf potions give you SOW. Run speed AA’s kick in at lvl 51.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks man, found it!

Is there a recommended UI package that most people use?

The O.P. is 5 years old, so I'm sorry if I clog up the thread with a lot of questions I couldnt find answers to.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
:justpost:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dennis McClaren posted:

Thanks man, found it!

The O.P. is 5 years old, so I'm sorry if I clog up the thread with a lot of questions I couldnt find answers to.

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6274 is real popular. Use it myself.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dennis McClaren posted:

Thanks man, found it!

Go right ahead and ask, no worries about spamming.

I of course recommend my own UI (I play Zliz), which you can find here. It's up to date and minimalist, just a more clean and more tidy version of the default UI.

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

I mean honestly, can you resist the sexy Monk in this screenshot of my UI?

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 9, 2017

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Krazuel posted:

A lot of bosses rampage which means they sent extra attacks towards the first person to get aggro and is in melee range, it's usually less damage than boss hitting main tank, but still very significant. Paladins can mitigate a ton of this damage from a hammer that drops in Luclin that procs divine aura. The rampage hits still go to Paladin but divine aura gives 18 secs of invulnerability per proc and it procs a lot. Any tank can do rampage and sometimes other classes but paladins trivialize that whole mechanic.

Note that at some point SKs get a quest that allows them to turn in the hammer and some stuff from Praetorian Myral that gives them a corrupted version. Paladins are still better ramp tanks because SKs are better at basically everything else but Paladins can also force a DA if things are really going sideways by casting it.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Ok, since you guys are kind enough to deal with suffering though a bunch of returning player questions... These are my queries after getting to lv10 today.

How and when can I go about getting a mount?
How do you use the Bandolier exactly?
I couldn't find a lot of the potions from the O.P. - the distillate of spikeskin isnt in the Bazaar. Where can I get a damage shield proc from for leveling?
Anything I should know about leveling faster? I'm currently in Kurn's tower pulling even's and yellow cons...

I went with a ShadowKnight after all. I played 5 levels of Enchanter and couldn't stand how slow it was going. This is much faster I'm having a great time.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Hoohah posted:

Note that at some point SKs get a quest that allows them to turn in the hammer and some stuff from Praetorian Myral that gives them a corrupted version. Paladins are still better ramp tanks because SKs are better at basically everything else but Paladins can also force a DA if things are really going sideways by casting it.

Sk's can force a DA too, but Paladins might get additional ones that late into the game, i'm not really sure.
The SK version of that hammer doesn't currently exist on TLP servers, and wasn't introduced until like a year or two ago on live servers. No clue when Phinigel will see it tbh.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Dennis McClaren posted:

Ok, since you guys are kind enough to deal with suffering though a bunch of returning player questions... These are my queries after getting to lv10 today.

How and when can I go about getting a mount?
How do you use the Bandolier exactly?
I couldn't find a lot of the potions from the O.P. - the distillate of spikeskin isnt in the Bazaar. Where can I get a damage shield proc from for leveling?
Anything I should know about leveling faster? I'm currently in Kurn's tower pulling even's and yellow cons...

I went with a ShadowKnight after all. I played 5 levels of Enchanter and couldn't stand how slow it was going. This is much faster I'm having a great time.

Shadowknights can get a mount at level 51?55?59? via AA purchase, or you can buy a mount from the /marketplace or by spending 10-100k platinum in the bazaar.

Idk about bandolier, something about you assign it weapons and then press some hotkey to hot swap between them, I've never used it but it is in game on Phinigel now as of a couple days ago with DoN launch.
(I play a beastlord and I don't ever have to swap weapons at least currently, so haven't looked into it.)

There should be potions on the bazaar unless the people making them have dried up, try sorting for potions, and then by level range. Another alternative DS potion is Kilva's Skin of flame(sp?), try partial searches like "skin" etc.

Killing the highest level mobs you can manage without much downtime is the best way to level. You will probably be stuck a little bit by soloing if there aren't any grouping opportunities. Make sure to join /general and use /lfg to try and find some people to level with as that is 100% the best way, but can be hard to get a group sometimes. What you are doing now killing Yellows and Blues is good until everything slows down basically. Almar's Guides someone mentioned earlier has good guides for progression servers in regards to most things such as tradeskills or leveling paths.

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 10, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Only thing I can tell you about is bandolier. Bring it up (B by default). Pick a slot, and click "add" to add your current weapons as an option. Add a name and poo poo. Equip different weapon sets manually and click "add' on a slot to make more sets. Then with the set you like highlighted, either click "activate" or "hot button" which makes a hot button you can put on your bar. Then you can quickly switch between your 4 weapon slots (main, secondary, range, ammo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

What if I was just trying to switch out a 1h sword + shield (as a set) for a 2h sword, with the bandolier?

What's the deal with this "potion belt"? I don't have a potion belt, but I still buy and use potions just fine...?

If I was interested in dual-boxing, does that mean you have to subscribe 2 accounts?

I bought a 6 month membership sub. I was under the assumption that it came with all the expansions up to date. But when I was in the bazaar and tried to buy some items without running to the trader, EQ told me I was missing some expansions and wasn't allowed to do that.
So do I still need to buy expansions even though I have a 6 month sub?

I got to level 10 today! I actually was able to find a group - sort of lol. I found a berserker my level to grind with, and I got 4 levels with him. I'm in love with this game all over again. If I was irresponsible and 16 again, I would be staying up all night to play haha.