Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Safety Factor posted:

I'm listening to the GW Twitch stream because it's all about Dark Angels today. Phil Kelly has clarified that primaris marines are, in fact, drooling morons.

Basically, he said that they aren't able to use normal marine weapons because they haven't been trained in them. They also can't drive rhinos or predators because they don't know how. Though in that case, the normal marines also don't want to give up their sweet rides. At this point in the setting, biglys are like 100 years old.
:lol:

This is sad...I assume it was meant in jest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
What am I getting wrong here? It seems like I can do a battalion detachment of guard for 180 points (240 if I want to throw lascannons into the squads) to get +3 CP and some cheap screening in my Blood Angels army. Is there a reason I wouldn't/couldn't do this other than needing to carry an extra codex?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Booley posted:

What am I getting wrong here? It seems like I can do a battalion detachment of guard for 180 points (240 if I want to throw lascannons into the squads) to get +3 CP and some cheap screening in my Blood Angels army. Is there a reason I wouldn't/couldn't do this other than needing to carry an extra codex?

Other than being limited to 3 detachments total at 2000 points, not really.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

No, you're correct.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Other than being limited to 3 detachments total at 2000 points, not really.

With my main army being marines the only time I could see running into the need for a third detachment would be a lord of war. 1 battalion of marines, 1 battalion of guard, 1 battalion of probably elites but maybe fast attack.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ever feel like you're too old for this game?

I've been playing since RT, but lately my grey hair has been making me feel out of place.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The best answer would be the simplest. "buy this $80 vehicle that you wouldnt have from previous editions"

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Would love some feedback on the hivemind on this mission I came up with for a friendly beerhammer throwdown at my place this weekend, Eldar vs. Chaos w/ 200 PL per side (100 per player): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h75UBLTnnrgsfUjAIYPHoJr7caf76P0NYKzizeIFAZc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm on the Eldar side so want to make sure I didn't skew it horribly or otherwise make it unfun.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

:confused:

Like it or not, that's the gist of what he said. Specifically, that they wouldn't know what to do with a normal bolter or plasma gun. It was just some quick comments on a stream, I wouldn't treat it as gospel.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

This... actually makes complete sense just coming from pharos. It's not that they're dumb, marines don't get taught to operate stuff it's done through hypnotherapy, so if they didn't get the training for a vehicle they genuinely wouldn't know.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The GW UK GT heat 2 is on this weekend. Let's see if a dogshit SM list wins again.

Also I tabulated all my historic tournament results earlier and wow I am a painfully average player.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Artum posted:

This... actually makes complete sense just coming from pharos. It's not that they're dumb, marines don't get taught to operate stuff it's done through hypnotherapy, so if they didn't get the training for a vehicle they genuinely wouldn't know.

That doesn't make to much sense, Marines are made out to be pretty fast learners compared to normal humans. I assume intelligence is a quality you desire in a Marine...

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cessna posted:

I’m 53 and just starting, so yes?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

Better question. If they can't get in stormravens or drop pods, how to Primaris deploy onto planets? Jump out of the space ship?

Well Inceptors drop from orbit, so maybe the rest ride on their backs?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Eh, no such thing as too old. Now I can afford all the kits I lusted after as a child.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

Just so ya know, I will be at Adepticon. We can talk about lifting instead of anime this time.

My drunk Uroboros impression is
"It's okay Dan, I'm not going to talk about anime.
Hey Campbell let's talk about anime"

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He's just sad because Campbell is the cute one. Don't worry Uroboros, because I will be there.

Don't sell Dan short, he's actually the sensitive one

Pendent posted:

The Badcast fanfic where Calgar kills himself inside a land raider while his Primaris boss can't get inside will forever remain one of my favorite things.

The payoff is a long one on that one but I loved it too much to give it up. I started writing my own fanfic for the challenge when I was worried we wouldn't get any, but we got a bunch.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh, no such thing as too old. Now I can afford all the kits I lusted after as a child.

This might be the case for me and my entire company of Primaris marines.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Uroboros posted:

That doesn't make to much sense, Marines are made out to be pretty fast learners compared to normal humans. I assume intelligence is a quality you desire in a Marine...

Primaris marines, even more than normal ones, are purpose-dedicated tools.

It would never even occur to one that he could drive a Rhino because he's a hellblaster gunner and his combat role is blasting hell.

It retroactively gives the regular marines more character in that they can cross-train as well as be (somewhat) flexible.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You guys shouldn’t feel old. I’m 31, i enjoy seeing the Long Fangs across the table from me. More so than the young kids.

But even with that being said, older guys really showed me the ropes. Seeing their armies that they could afford with their adult salaries was awesome.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It'd be cool to go to a US tournament sometime but I suspect my wife would divorce me if I said I was gonna fly to the States to slam hams for a weekend.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cessna posted:

I've been playing since RT, but lately my grey hair has been making me feel out of place.

Just celebrated a friend's 40th by spending a weekend at Warhammer World.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Corrode posted:

It'd be cool to go to a US tournament sometime but I suspect my wife would divorce me if I said I was gonna fly to the States to slam hams for a weekend.

Just going to visit Chicago....

For a weekend...

In March

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

My drunk Uroboros impression is
"It's okay Dan, I'm not going to talk about anime.
Hey Campbell let's talk about anime"

I don't remember that specifically, but it sounds accurate...

I was sloshed by the end of the Friendly my final opponent made me drink a ton. He got so wasted that he wandered off to piss, then couldn't find the table we were playing at.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Corrode posted:

So take a boat?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So I was sitting around with my bits box today, thinking that what I wanted was a couple Wolf Priests to run with my Reivers. In order to make them work, though, they needed to be able to deep strike. My FLGS so happened to have a dusty box of Spellcrow bits sitting around that I made of with for $5, so behold, Primaris Wolf Priests, with jump pack, crozius, and plasma pistol.

Based on a couple Intercessors I had left over from the Chapter Challenge, with bits from a Space Wolves pack box, leftover Reiver bits, and assorted etc.

They still need a little cleanup in a couple places, but I think they'll do.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Do craftworld and dark versions of the Eldar associate or trade or communicate in any meaningful way or do they just avoid and/or kill each other on sight

Like can a dark Eldar decide to one day join a craftworld or are they just gonna die out of the webway

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm sorry Primaris Marines, I'd love to paint you but there's this game called RimWorld and holy poo poo have I really played this stupid little game for 400 hours what the hell is wrong with me.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

goose willis posted:

Do craftworld and dark versions of the Eldar associate or trade or communicate in any meaningful way or do they just avoid and/or kill each other on sight

Like can a dark Eldar decide to one day join a craftworld or are they just gonna die out of the webway

They interact, but until the Ynarri there was nothing to really make them friendly.

The Craftworld Eldar are basically puritans while the Dark Eldar are basically the remnants of the original, corrupt Eldar society. As such, they strongly distaste one another.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 9, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there gonna be Primaris Chaos Space Marines?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are there gonna be Primaris Chaos Space Marines?

There have been little hints here or there, but I doubt there will be any for a while. CSMs already got their dex. I imagine there won't be anything for at least another year, if it even happens.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Broken Record Talk posted:

There have been little hints here or there, but I doubt there will be any for a while. CSMs already got their dex. I imagine there won't be anything for at least another year, if it even happens.

They could do them as part of the Noise Marine codex release, since Fabius Bile is primarily aligned with the Emperor's Children and he was the one working on it. I'd say it would never happen, but we got Death Guard so...

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm personally hoping for new Chosen that are two wounds each and Primaris-sized

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

PierreTheMime posted:

They could do them as part of the Noise Marine codex release, since Fabius Bile is primarily aligned with the Emperor's Children and he was the one working on it. I'd say it would never happen, but we got Death Guard so...

DG and TS were specifically noted as getting separate codices from the general CSM one. Fulgrim’s Space Cocaine Cowboys aren’t getting their own codex.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Emperor's Children didn't even get a Chapter Approved nod, which isn't a good sign.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I have a feeling that everything Slaanesh-related is going to be culled

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I have a feeling that everything Slaanesh-related is going to be culled

They're not. If they were getting culled they wouldn't have been mentioned at all in the chaos and eldar codices.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Well it's going to be a gradual process, they're not gonna squat them, but look at what happened in Age of Sigmar

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Stop making GBS threads on my birthday cake you guys... :sadpeanut:

I want to have a sparkleboi codex and primarch to play with toooo. :smith:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They can't get rid of Slaanesh, it's too integral to the Eldar and Emperor's Children are too big of a part of the Horus Heresy.

New Noise Marines would be great. As long as their weapons look more like musical instruments, and not just like weird sci-fi guns like the Kakophoni models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

New Noise Marines would be great. As long as their weapons look more like musical instruments, and not just like weird sci-fi guns like the Kakophoni models

Noise marines with as much personality and attention to detail as the new death guard stuff would be amazing.