Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Implementing VR will be a cinch in Star Citizen. Even now Roberts is using his skills to tweak AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS to get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Turns out all the problems in 3.0 were due to a misconfigured HIMEM.SYS

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Financial Controller vacancy up in UK office yesterday

Surely that's not who I think it is

Isn't 'Financial Controller' the job title in those spam emails that money launderers send when they want to recruit new mules?

To be suitable for this position you must:

Have a UK bank account with online banking.
Be confident using a computer, particularly email.
Be able to work from home for 2-3 hours per day.

The successful candidate will typically earn, through commission, £10-20k per month.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Tenzarin posted:

Why are people waiting for this game when the x series has been around for years and already has vr support, all with game play from the single ship to building a space empire?

Because Star Citizens are a collection of guerrilla advertisers, gray marketeers, and finally dipsticks who would rather live action role play as a guy who has a game to play than actually be a guy who has a game to play. They are sad dummies.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

all those other games have negative aspects because they're real, released games.

star citizen has no negative aspects, just stuff that needs to be changed for the final release. it's the platonic ideal of a space game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Some People call me the space game dev, yeah
Some call me crowdfunder of love
Some people call me Crobbler
Cause I speak for the Freyermuth of love
People talk about me, baby
Say I'm doing it wrong, doing it wrong
Well don't you worry backers don't worry
Cause I'm right here, right here coding at home

I'm a nitpicker, a dumb grinner
with a lawyer, and a sinner
I play whale music in the sun
I'm a coker, I'm a bloater
I'm a midnight coder
I don't care if my games are fun
Wooo wooooo
Wooo wooooo

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

Turns out all the problems in 3.0 were due to a misconfigured HIMEM.SYS

Now that brings back some memories.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

big nipples big life posted:

correct, the community liked the leaked script, they used words like "authentic" and "i paid $15000 for this, of course it is the best script ever"

Chris Roberts is using words that have never even been used together in a sentence before.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SomethingJones posted:

Financial Controller vacancy up in UK office yesterday

Surely that's not who I think it is
Surely, not the Gizmondo guy.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Bayonnefrog posted:

Everyone here seems to be more level headed and reasonable. Which was way different from what I had heard after playing Eve Online for years.

That's what they want you to think................
There's a spider/fly analogy somewhere but I, hang on, this isn't my loungeroom.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

biglads posted:

Implementing VR will be a cinch in Star Citizen. Even now Roberts is using his skills to tweak AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS to get it done.

just load your mouse drivers in upper memory and star citizen will run at a smooth 90fps bing bong so simple

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hav posted:

You kids never had to optimise upper memory block load orders just to shoot the death star.

I typed out a whole batch file from an old magazine called DOS World that let you save, name and load config.sys/autoexec.bat for specific configurations. This was mandatory to have sane defaults for compilers and games. All your UMB's belong to me.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Some People call me the space game dev, yeah
Some call me crowdfunder of love
Some people call me Crobbler
Cause I speak for the Freyermuth of love
People talk about me, baby
Say I'm doing it wrong, doing it wrong
Well don't you worry backers don't worry
Cause I'm right here, right here coding at home

I'm a nitpicker, a dumb grinner
with a lawyer, and a sinner
I play whale music in the sun
I'm a coker, I'm a bloater
I'm a midnight coder
I don't care if my games are fun
Wooo wooooo
Wooo wooooo

You know how people say hundreds or thousands of $$$ forstar citizen was worth it for the meeting all the people on the way

I think the only general Star citizen community worth participating is this one

And
I got my $$$ back before I even got here...

Please buy more ships citizens

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bayonnefrog posted:

Thanks for the replies. I've already really enjoyed my first month following this thread. It's why I joined. The SC reddit wouldn't engage in anyone with a different opinion and flip out.. Everyone here seems to be more level headed and reasonable. Which was way different from what I had heard after playing Eve Online for years.

Eve Goons are actually the finest roleplayers the world has ever seen. Everybody can't be the hero, because then you are left with nothing but garbage NPCs to to be the enemy, and NPCs suck. So Eve goons volunteer to play the violent mindless hive of hate and violence that can't be reasoned with, that won't show mercy, that just never stops. Now that's an enemy you can have a years long vendetta against. An enemy worth spawning a galaxy wide coalition to knock down.

Every day dedicated goons tirelessly mine the EVE forums and poo poo up local to keep up appearances that we're all gibbering retards. While in reality no more than 90 or 95% of us are gibbering retards.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Awesome new launcher icon.

Hold my beer. Gonna buy an Idris.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Jaycebirb/status/939362316449206272

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

The Titanic posted:

I tried VR Skyrim.. and it was terrible. :(

I can’t imagine anyone designing something for VR and thinking “ah I’ll patch it in later!”

Contrary to that though, VR SuperHot is very fun. I’m not sure if they patched it in or if they made it ground up, but it was like night and day “this is terrible” cs “wow this is fun!!!” between Skyrim VR and SuperHot VR.

One of the ealiest "patched in VR" games i recall was team fortress 2, people considered it clunky to operate and even the dev's themselves said "yeah don't patch in VR, build a game from the ground up with the design of VR in mind"

VR games can be amazing from the few games i've tried with a friends vive, but too bad the price of entry not to mention the hardware requirements to run the equipent right now make it an insanely niche market to get into.

SC isn't even designed correctly to have the stupid loving facecam be worth a purchase.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

http://t-machine.org/index.php/2007/09/27/8-things-to-avoid-when-building-an-mmog-server/

8 things to avoid when building an MMOG server

"5. ignore performance testing until mid-way through the project. If performance tests at 10% of the way through production say it’s slow, that means you’re in deep trouble – it does NOT mean that “we’ll come back and optimize it later”. Optimizing netcode and server code is NOT like traditional single-threaded local-only optimization: many of the things you’re dealing with (like LANs, and TCP/IP stacks) run orders of magnitude too slowly, so your optimization comes from imaginative system-architecture, not from optimizing small chunks of code at a time."

Caveat: This guy has no loving idea about game development.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Toops posted:

Typical use case:

This rules and makes me want a dancey cat christmas tree ornament

Solarin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 9, 2017

dogshitboy
Dec 8, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

Hello new commando, what's your star citizen story?

hey,
am just here to follow the drama, don't even care about games.
and to see you owning DS from time to time hah

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

videogames in 2017 are so good

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDB7hunkZaY&t=8s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFCVZCslPIk&t=1465s

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/d4cwnkb.gifv

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Access ramp gear best landing gear

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

stingtwo posted:

One of the ealiest "patched in VR" games i recall was team fortress 2, people considered it clunky to operate and even the dev's themselves said "yeah don't patch in VR, build a game from the ground up with the design of VR in mind"

VR games can be amazing from the few games i've tried with a friends vive, but too bad the price of entry not to mention the hardware requirements to run the equipent right now make it an insanely niche market to get into.

SC isn't even designed correctly to have the stupid loving facecam be worth a purchase.

Yeah. Even with all its flaws, ED in VR is incredible. This is because FD had VR in mind right from the start.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I too regret reading the last 30-40 pages instead of just skipping them. Y'all have problems.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

You can already do head tracking with just a webcam, but I hear it kind of sucks compared to TrackIR. If you think CIG can do any better, then you're probably going to be disappointed

yeah, facetracknoir - it works surprisingly well it just isn't smooth enough

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Solarin posted:

This rules and makes me want a dancey cat christmas tree ornament

I'm inclined to print some, if people are interested. Shouldn't be too expensive to mail them around the world, also.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The Titanic posted:

Though you do bring up a good point. How will you do Face Over IP in a VR game with the VR headset?

Will there be tiny fidelity cameras inside the headset to monitor you?

Wouldn't they all have the "I am about to throw up face?"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MedicineHut posted:

Awesome new launcher icon.

Hold my beer. Gonna buy an Idris.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/makeatemplate/status/937459384606777345

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT
The 315p seat dosen't missing
For the server to not crash.
All doors and airlocks should cycle and open.
I should be able to get to my ship opening the door and jumping in and flying .
should have exited ship thru doorway
The 3D Radar should stay in the cockpit when looking at the ship from 3rd person , so only the pilot can see it in front of him, as a small "ball", inside the cockpit.
Not to leave atmo in Dragonfly
seeing the landing gear when deployed on the landing pad
The game shouldn't have crashed
to close the mobiglass
For all walls etc to be perfect like the rest of the cool game. kudos.
none of the above
Full HUD should be visible and chat box shouldn't be shrunken.Expected result would have been enter turret and succesfully be able to fire at the enemy. Unable to with either upper or lower cockpit turret.
Nox should have spawned upright (it did in the previous spawn 10 minutes ago, but I got the two cursors bug - see my only other bug report) and should have allowed the rider to navigate the red target cursor to the power on controls, allowing rider to power on and use the Nox as a space bike.
The expected result I assume would have been once "riding" the nox, that a single target cursor would be present in order to control ship functions, and said Nox should have moved forward upon pressing W etc, and / or turn and strafe. All the Nox was able to do to the best of what I could see what start some kind of unctrollable strange spin
I should have payed better attention so i could properly report this issue.
I just would like better visibility when flying. similar to outside camera views.
The turret should be unfunctional after being severed from the rest of the Ship
I just expect to be able to get into this ship like the others.
Fall down the ladder
0 damage
...Instead of destroyed, it's feel just inconfortable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
airlock should open
You should not can enter the turret from the outside.
Necessary to have informations for flight combat on HUD (Shield, missiles, etc)
I should have succeed to get down on the big ship
simply exit from menu to continue my flight
i needed an open ship where to enter
It should work properly and the animations should show as intended.
ship is parked
Loading into game.
I guess I expected to not float.
The character would likely accelerate to terminal velocity and smash into the ground, leaving thousands of pieces of body parts scattered in a 500m radius.
Bindings and Game & Video changes should all save in and after logging out of the game.
Lands ship , powers off ship, ship stays on the land
Doesn't overheat at the spawn of the ship
cant start the launcher
expected someone to check and see that menu option dropdown menu was actually accessible and not trimmed by list
Ship starts up and allows flight.
Rover back at ship/fleet list/manager for spawning and when loaded in a constellation. That the connie can take off and the rover is not to heavy in the belly :p
An Explosion inside the Shelter without any crashes
Insurance claim should begin giving me a long timer counting down until ship return with an option to pay extra to speed up the process.
Wreck should be spawned outside of asteroid geometry and be collectible to make mission completion possible.
With having 30FPS+ before, the freezes shouldn't happen
Seats should have been in place alllowing player to fly ship
For the interfaces to be there and interacteable
The books should not have pysical contact with or be inside of a computer monitor.
My armor don't have to loose oxygen because i stay in the cockpit and my ship don't have to auto-refuel in deep space
should be seeing what is actually outside of ship
No interior textures should be visible from the outside
Mustang Omega should be red, and textures should be consistent on fuel scoop
Lights should stay off.
There should be a space port there
Not clip through the wall
Exited Seat but still inside of Cockpit able to get back into seat and correct the mistake.
The player should not be able to clip through the mesh.
Disk shouldn't get close to 98% during running of game Unable to screen capture Task Manager
It becomes inconvenient ship maneuvers.

ACTUAL RESULT
With 2560x1440 resolution the monitors loose all input until pc reboot. With 1920x1080 it seem to work just fine.
EXPECTED RESULT
Expected game lauch with monitors still running seem to be legendary with wanted resolution.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

I typed out a whole batch file from an old magazine called DOS World that let you save, name and load config.sys/autoexec.bat for specific configurations. This was mandatory to have sane defaults for compilers and games. All your UMB's belong to me.

Boot floppies were the way.

I literally learned DOS from the pages of pc shopper, back in the days when having a coprocessor was hot poo poo. I still have the copro in a box, along with all my old 486s. I’d say good times, but i don’t miss himem.sys or emm386.exe, or dos4gw.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kilmers Elbow posted:

yeah, facetracknoir - it works surprisingly well it just isn't smooth enough

Try sticking some registration dots to your face. It won’t work, but you’ll get more used to looking weird.

Facetracknoir doesn’t come close to the trackir5, sadly enough, although people have designed a couple of clips that are better than the active thing they flog. The hat clip works well for me though.

Couldn’t sim or space without it now. Occasionally the camera fritzes and i’m left looking straight ahead like a dumb baby until i find the camera slew controls.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

Try sticking some registration dots to your face. It won’t work, but you’ll get more used to looking weird.

Also make sure to forget to take them off if you have to answer the door.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I too regret reading the last 30-40 pages instead of just skipping them. Y'all have problems.

Y’all. Like you ain’t one of us.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

This won't be abused mercilessly, not a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

uhm, it has the best flight model of any game in its class. None of that scaled down one I put in LOD. Try it.

In fact, in recognition of your service to the cause, I'm going to send you a free key right now.

Thank you! I'm gonna take you up on that, I'll set up PMs and drop you a message.