Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Those carvings on her body. Did the same guys who made the steam punk Geishas in the Hollywood GitS work on this?

In general there are some jarring design choices, but the trailer alone ticks off quite a lot of plot points. Let's hope it won't be a mess.
Ido looks well cast based on looks, even if he doesn't seem to be from Tiphares anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lurking Haro posted:

Those carvings on her body. Did the same guys who made the steam punk Geishas in the Hollywood GitS work on this?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I have to reread the manga now :blush:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Relin posted:

that face seems so unnecessary, and will distract me the whole film. i've never really bought into uncanny valley personally though. i didn't know grand moff tarkin was cgi until someone told me he was after the film :o:

Well, yeah, Tarkin was not in the valley because he looked realistic. Uncanny valley is when it's close but something is off, in Alita's case it's because they're using human-like skin texture but with abnormal face proportions.

It's growing on me a little but I still think it looks super weird. I'm curious to see what it's going to look like on the big screen.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Kill it with fire.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

n.. posted:

Well, yeah, Tarkin was not in the valley because he looked realistic. Uncanny valley is when it's close but something is off, in Alita's case it's because they're using human-like skin texture but with abnormal face proportions.
Also because none other of the main cast in the trailer that are also cyborgs, like Zapan, have weird face features. Gally being the only one with a CG face just looks wrong. That was also kind of the point of the first few volumes of the manga that she just looks like a normal girl despite being a powerful warrior once she unlocks some memories of the panzer kunst.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
According to a buddy of mine who worked on the movie:

- It's probably going to be PG-13 (which is basically an instant dealbreaker for me, regardless of how awesome the movie looks otherwise).

- He's not entirely sure but as far as he can tell, Alita's eyes are a deliberate uncanny-valley thing and supposed to come off as unsettling, and in the context of the movie this works great.

He's under ultra-NDA so I couldn't get much more out of him, but those are tidbits that might be interesting.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I got that it was deliberately uncanny valley. That said, I think it's a bad decision. If they wanted to give her a distinguishing feature on her face they could have gone with her cheek things she has in Last Order.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Her eyes are freaking horrifying. :gonk:

Like I probably would've gone to see it even if it hadn't been a good movie, just out of sheer fan loyalty, because I've been like the hugest dumb BAA fan since I was like 14 years old. I've bought all the books, and even the artbook!! But those gigantic bizarre Snapchat filter eyes are probably going to be the thing that makes me not see the film.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

- It's probably going to be PG-13 (which is basically an instant dealbreaker for me, regardless of how awesome the movie looks otherwise).

no dog getting turned inside out, no sale

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

- He's not entirely sure but as far as he can tell, Alita's eyes are a deliberate uncanny-valley thing and supposed to come off as unsettling, and in the context of the movie this works great.

He's under ultra-NDA so I couldn't get much more out of him, but those are tidbits that might be interesting.
Well I expect cyborg dismemberment and brutality is PG-13, you just won't be seeing a lot of bloody brain explosions.

Alita's eyes seem weird in the wake-up shot but otherwise are only kind of strange.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
These eyes are growing on me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, I am a pretty huge fan so my opinion might not count but the scene were Ido wipes away her tears shows they 100% know she has big weird gently caress off eyes and its deliberate.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Her eyes look like poo poo. It's loving baffling.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the eyes are bad, y’all

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
did they just not show this to any test audiences at all?

make the lips big, you idiots

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
You know, I can get intentionally invoking uncanny valley to try and make something more unsettling or not-human, but this is just really poorly done. Like, it looks similar to the whole CG mouth stuff in Justice League to me.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The eyes are bad but that isn't a deal breaker for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lurking Haro posted:

Ido looks well cast based on looks, even if he doesn't seem to be from Tiphares anymore.

My fan casting for Ido has always been Adrien Brody, but when it was announced Christoph Waltz was officially cast I was like "oh poo poo, yeah, that's a good choice" haha. The cast overall is really good.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/alita-battle-angel-trailer-breakdown/

quote:

It was always Jim's intention to create a photo-realistic version of the manga eyes that we're so accustomed to seeing. We really wanted to honour that tradition and see that look standing next to any human character. To have the right person to emote behind it was really essential. Her origins are in the film and you understand why she looks that way.

Looks like the eyes were Jimbo's idea. Also maybe something is shoehorned into the story to explain it?

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
I'm more worried about the PG-13 rating than the eyes, so we'll see how that shakes out. Still looking forward to how they handle Ido's action scenes with Waltz.

Also, easily overlooked detail from that interview: Nova is going to show up much earlier as a character, and is now a body-jumping entity? Chiren is kind of a fill-in for him in the OAV, so having them both together could be interesting.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

She has bigger pupils so she can pick out more tiny details in combat. :shrug:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't know if that's how that works but I don't know enough about eyes to dispute it so it's probably brilliant.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's not, cone cells in the retina are what allow the eye to perceive finer details and fast motion. A bigger (dilated) pupil would mean more light hits the retina: better vision in low light conditions, maybe (but also more sensitivity to bright light).

Hell knows if this would even apply to a cyborg, though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Mars hosed up her eyes i guess :shrug:

Putting anime eyes on someone, jesus christ.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

teagone posted:

My fan casting for Ido has always been Adrien Brody, but when it was announced Christoph Waltz was officially cast I was like "oh poo poo, yeah, that's a good choice" haha. The cast overall is really good.

I poo poo you not, I have always imagined Ido as sounding just like Tom Hanks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mecha posted:

I'm more worried about the PG-13 rating than the eyes, so we'll see how that shakes out.

Same, being introduced to the first major villain just casually breaking a dude's head to eat his brains was pretty cool.

The rest of the stuff just sounds kind of lame but it's hard to get worked up over any of it. I didn't expect them to get it right, and was not surprised.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That's it! *snaps fingers* She looks like the original, E3-reveal Elizbeth Comstock from Bioshock.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Caught back up to this and I gotta say, Alita/Gally's origin being that she's the excised tit tumor of a Martian princess is definitely not what I would have predicted.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I mentioned it in the CD thread but Battle Angel was my introduction to anime. I rented it from my local Blockbuster back in the late 90s and I fell in love with it. Though my interest in anime dissipated as the years went on I always had a soft spot for this series. I remember reading that Cameron wanted to make this in to a film many years ago and as those years went on my belief that the film would ever be made evaporated. Now it's 2017 and I've finally seen actual footage from the film.

While the trailer hit me square in the nostalgia, I am worried. Both GitS and Blade Runner flopped and I'm worried that this too will be forgotten. I want this to be great, I really do, but I'm not convinced that movie goers are interested in this kind of movie.

And yes, the eye thing made me laugh.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Link to the Movie thread, for convenience.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't know if anyone else has picked up the first Deluxe Edition hardcover yet, but I just got it from Barnes & Noble as an xmas gift for my girlfriend and jesus gently caress this book is huge

You could very, very easily bludgeon somebody with this

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't know if anyone else has picked up the first Deluxe Edition hardcover yet, but I just got it from Barnes & Noble as an xmas gift for my girlfriend and jesus gently caress this book is huge

You could very, very easily bludgeon somebody with this

My girlfriend gave it to me for a gift! I love the reprinted color pages and the huge, huge format that lets you admire the art. The translation, however, is janky as gently caress. People talk like they do in subtitles or really literalistic scanlations. Comparing with the original, to be fair, I could see a few parts where the original translation missed some nuances or changed a few meanings, but the old translations definitely felt more natural-sounding to read.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

My girlfriend gave it to me for a gift! I love the reprinted color pages and the huge, huge format that lets you admire the art. The translation, however, is janky as gently caress. People talk like they do in subtitles or really literalistic scanlations. Comparing with the original, to be fair, I could see a few parts where the original translation missed some nuances or changed a few meanings, but the old translations definitely felt more natural-sounding to read.

It seems that way to me too, but I'm really not sure how much I'm just favouring the old translation out of nostalgia.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hopefully the movie will mean some japanese studio will do a proper adaptation of the manga

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quick question: My daughter started dabbling in the original series and has so far liked what she read and I'm planning on buying her original series so she can get it next year. Can anyone tell me if the Deluxe Edition is worth it?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wark Say posted:

Quick question: My daughter started dabbling in the original series and has so far liked what she read and I'm planning on buying her original series so she can get it next year. Can anyone tell me if the Deluxe Edition is worth it?

one hundred goddamn percent yes, it's beautiful

e: like i'm legit incredibly impressed with how Kodansha handled it, it's one of the nicest comic books i've ever seen. the quality is easily up there with DC's Absolutes.

Sunesis
Apr 17, 2003

RANPHA IS MAD LOL
If they are dumping all these characters into one movie I guess we can assume this will be the only movie? The more they stray from the manga the more they will need to make up.

Introducing Nova so early kills the end of the original manga.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sunesis posted:

I guess we can assume this will be the only movie?

It was a 90 second teaser. Cameron has always planned for Alita to be a trilogy. While that may no longer be the case, and the movie has the potential to bomb, we were only shown a handful of scenes so lol at making this kind of assumption.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

It was a 90 second teaser. Cameron has always planned for Alita to be a trilogy. While that may no longer be the case, and the movie has the potential to bomb, we were only shown a handful of scenes so lol at making this kind of assumption.

Like, I love the manga with all my heart, and the teaser looks great to me, and I want this to turn into a franchise that blows Marvel and Star Wars out of the water

But seriously, this is the only Alita movie we're going to get :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

You never know. The movie might actually be good and make a shitzillion dollars. I'm just saying dooming and glooming the film based off a 90 second teaser seems a bit much.