Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rock Puncher posted:

https://www.iasplus.com/en/standards/ias/ias38

IAS38 specifically prohibits the recognition of brands, mastheads, publishing titles, customer lists and expenditure on research, training, advertising and start-up activities. Once recognised revaluations are restricted to those intangibles for which there is an active market.

Thanks for your useful contribution to the thread though.

Yeah that's great and all but it's not really relevant to market cap.

Market cap is essentially the value of a stock times the number of outstanding shares. The value of intangibles has some effect on revenues, but can be minor to major depending on the asset. Stock price which is primarily driven by the NPV of some combination of future revenues and dividends.

If an intangible is valuable enough to be of significant factor to revenues (pharma) you can bet that it can be properly assessed a market value. Even if the loving human robots in accounting can't fathom it or put it in the books. The market don't give a poo poo about that because at the end of the day it's about present value of future earnings.

Boon fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

What are you even arguing about and what does capitalizing intangibles even have to do with bitcoins. Guy was talking about market cap and you’re suddenly quoting international accounting standards for this poo poo when bitcoins would probably be a level 1 financial instrument, albeit an incredibly stupid one. Also intangibles still aren’t hard so sorry they’re giving you a problem I guess?

If you read the post I was replying to maybe it would make sense. It has nothing to do with bitcoins you tard.

@boon
It is very relevant to market cap, unless you don't understand that the market capitalisation is a representation of company value. Like I said, most company value is derived from intangibles, see any of elon musks companies and check their financial reports and tell me where the value of the company comes from, because it isn't there.

If you think markets are rational you need to do your research.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rock Puncher posted:

@boon
It is very relevant to market cap, unless you don't understand that the market capitalisation is a representation of company value. Like I said, most company value is derived from intangibles, see any of elon musks companies and check their financial reports and tell me where the value of the company comes from, because it isn't there.

If you think markets are rational you need to do your research.

You're not engaging what I said but what you think I said

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Boon posted:

You're not engaging what I said but what you think I said

Because you're talking about things you clearly don't understand?

See prices lead earnings and post earnings announcement drift as a simple counter to saying markets are hyper rational and all prices reflect the actual value.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I have no idea what argument you think you’re making but as someone who has spent years auditing global pharma companies as part of the big 4 I’m pretty confident in what I’m saying

E: I don’t think anyone here in the bitcoin thread is making the case that markets are rational and lol if you think that’s what we’re doing

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rock Puncher posted:

Because you're talking about things you clearly don't understand?

See prices lead earnings and post earnings announcement drift as a simple counter to saying markets are hyper rational and all prices reflect the actual value.

Nice straw man dipshit. I never said markets were rational, nor implied it.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

I have no idea what argument you think you’re making but as someone who has spent years auditing global pharma companies as part of the big 4 I’m pretty confident in what I’m saying

OK, maybe you need to go back to uni then, because you originally seemed to be suggesting there is no subjectivity in intangibles when clearly there is a degree of subjectivity in even measuring things in the first place. Maybe borrow a book about contemporary accounting issues? You don't even need to be an accountant or a big 4 auditor to be aware of these things.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rock Puncher posted:

OK, maybe you need to go back to uni then, because you originally seemed to be suggesting there is no subjectivity in intangibles when clearly there is a degree of subjectivity in even measuring things in the first place. Maybe borrow a book about contemporary accounting issues? You don't even need to be an accountant or a big 4 auditor to be aware of these things.

:lol:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
what's up with the whole price/earnings ratio estimate thing?

market cap is bullshit because it comes from a bullshit equation that has nothing to do with the sum of the actual market demand.

painting the tape is a term like wash trading where you take a worthless asset and trade with yourself or a friend back and forth for higher and higher prices until you get some idiots to buy at the inflated price and chuckle off

actual "value" of whatever takes a lot more effort to gauge than simply pretending the order book or sales price and inventory have anything to do with the whole enchilada

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Lol yeah I was clearly saying that there’s no subjectivity whatsoever. That’s definitely a thing I said.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

aha I got you on the technical ropes i win

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Is that weird furry guy with the fox penis coffee table still doing dumb bitcoin stuff constantly? Logan something I think. Now that poo poo was funny

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSfeCOiRfgA

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

but did he do something as funny as diverting conversation into what is at best tangentally pertinent jargon

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Waffle House posted:

but did he do something as funny as diverting conversation into what is at best tangentally pertinent jargon

Depends how funny you think a coffee table with a giant erect Fox dong on it is, I guess

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The real tragedy in all of this is that the several hundred (did any ever hit 1k?) page threads about bitcoin back in the heady Bruce Wagner days seem to have vanished into oblivion following the GBS genocide.

Are those still around somewhere?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronash posted:

The real tragedy in all of this is that the several hundred (did any ever hit 1k?) page threads about bitcoin back in the heady Bruce Wagner days seem to have vanished into oblivion following the GBS genocide.

Are those still around somewhere?
Buy archives (so lowtax can buy bitcoin)

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

Lol yeah I was clearly saying that there’s no subjectivity whatsoever. That’s definitely a thing I said.

You're right you didn't say there was 0, but you definitely suggested it was more cut & dry then it really is. Regardless, I disagree with you and doubt your credentials, but hey that's great that we have an expert here from the big 4 to correct the record.

https://hbr.org/2004/06/sharpening-the-intangibles-edge
https://imgur.com/a/G4KzH
http://www.wileydirect.com.au/buy/contemporary-issues-accounting-1st-edition/

I don't really have time to debate how you perceive the issue so I'll defer to people that have already done the work.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Contemporary issues from 2004. We’ve moved on to rev rec on contracts now grandpa

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

Contemporary issues from 2004. We’ve moved on to rev rec now grandpa

It's actually 2012 for the book, but I guess you can still make that criticism. Regardless, I think I'll go by the book rather than what a rando on SA claims to be and states.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

My problem with this whole thing is isn't it hilariously bad as a currency though? Like in order to aquire goods with it you need to go though umpteen something steps and rather it works better as a money laundering tool?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

BluPotato posted:

My problem with this whole thing is isn't it hilariously bad as a currency though? Like in order to aquire goods with it you need to go though umpteen something steps and rather it works better as a money laundering tool?

Every transaction has a history on the blockchain, so it's not that great at it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Yooo I’m drunk as gently caress and want to argue more about accounting. What do you all think about implementation of the new leasing standard. I’ve got strong opinions!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BluPotato posted:

It was a hypothetical proof of concept that people cling to because they own a bunch of it and would really like free money for having that thing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BluPotato posted:

It is bad at everything that its most strict adherents claim it is good at.

It is bad at being a currency

It is bad at being a store of value

It is bad at being a money laundering vehicle

It is bad at keeping your purchases anonymous

Bitcoin is good at separating rubes from their money

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I have a couple of colleagues who bought quite a lot of money's worth of bitcoin at around 7000$ and they've both been very vocal about it; well now they're both trying to cash out and neither of them have been able to confirm their transaction for 3+ days and they're both sort of panicked about it and keep checking their phones lmfao.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Here's something I've been working on for a while, check it out: bitcoin ---> bitcon

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

amotea posted:

Here's something I've been working on for a while, check it out: bitcoin ---> bitcon

bitcoin?

more like

[wait for it]

more like butt coin

:rimshot:

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

divabot posted:

bitcoin?

more like

[wait for it]

more like butt coin

:rimshot:

mods please ban this user

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HCFJ posted:

mods please ban this user

Turn on your monitor

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Dropping 10% in value over just 12 hours? Who else but Bitcoin :iamafag:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

thats ok itll bounce up in again in 5 min lol

or maybe not! Let it ride!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Doesn't matter, everybody is locked in now that nobody can get their money out. Enjoy the ride folks!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Need one of these going in the other direction, then one of a bitcoin disappearing and we can replace all posts in the thread with them.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
not to worry!! there'll be a fresh tranche of tethers released in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

This may be a stupid question, but wouldn't not being able to sell as easily as it is to buy have an effect on price, in theory? I know Bitcoin was designed to be deflationary, but if the exchanges are only really pushing one side of a transaction (ie. purchases), wouldn't this not make it go up on aggregate?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

divabot posted:

not to worry!! there'll be a fresh tranche of tethers released in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Yo dude could I by any chance get you to write a long ebook about investing in, and the technology behind, my rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

mojo1701a posted:

This may be a stupid question, but wouldn't not being able to sell as easily as it is to buy have an effect on price, in theory? I know Bitcoin was designed to be deflationary, but if the exchanges are only really pushing one side of a transaction (ie. purchases), wouldn't this not make it go up on aggregate?

Selling is just as easy as buying. It's getting the cash in and out of the exchanges that takes a few days to clear.