Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
To me Mario Kart is like Smash where the crazy chaos is what makes it fun. When you remove all that and make it a completely fair game with a level playing field it becomes really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

onesixtwo posted:

The last 30 seconds of a Mario kart course are the only important seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChbDsKrmTek

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Finally opened my tiddy blade se and it’s just a cd and some big art book(it’s kinda cool). Started playing the game and god what is that Instagram filter over everything? Can I turn this off?

Nope

My suggestion is to play it in portable. The Vaseline smeared graphics are much more tolerable when you're aware of the fact that hell, it's running on a god drat tablet

Good thing the game is pretty fun and has strong world design because it's really, really ugly

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

My favorite part of this video every time I see it is the very end after the onslaught of attacks, she just sits there in shock

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chapter 4 of xbc2 is quite long and dumb but then a dick joke saved it momentarily

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I saw a xbc2 review say that certain field skills will gate you towards the end of the main quest, anybody know which skills these are? I dont want to get stuck.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

KingSlime posted:

Nope

My suggestion is to play it in portable. The Vaseline smeared graphics are much more tolerable when you're aware of the fact that hell, it's running on a god drat tablet

Good thing the game is pretty fun and has strong world design because it's really, really ugly

This seems like legit advice, I’ll keep the “holy moly on a tablet!” Front and center and enjoy the anime tiddies.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't had issues with XB2 docked, it's in tablet mode where it can look like a bad emulator filter when stuff gets intense.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FirstAidKite posted:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but are there any new additions confirmed for bayonetta 1/2 for the switch?

If not, is it just going to be the wii u version but maybe looking slightly better or something and on the switch? I already have the wii u version but I never actually played them for various reasons and if the switch has any exclusive content then I might as well just sell the wii u copies and put that cash towards getting the switch versions.

Hell the Wii U version has some secret stuff that you can only get by tapping on a touchscreen which u can't do docked on a switch

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Real hurthling! posted:

I saw a xbc2 review say that certain field skills will gate you towards the end of the main quest, anybody know which skills these are? I dont want to get stuck.

There's a story quest where you will want Nopon Wisdom but even if you don't have it you can get around it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

what good wiiu games still need to be ported to switch now

I played it on my friend's wiiU so I don't really care so much but I would love if tokyo mirage sessions got ported so its characters would be added to fire emblem heroes

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is definitely the last WiiU I can think of that got unfairly cut down in the death rattle of the system. Personally I'd also want a DKC platformer too but I assume we'll get a new one eventually.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

goferchan posted:

There's a story quest where you will want Nopon Wisdom but even if you don't have it you can get around it

Is that really it? Gamespot has some whiners on staff

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 9, 2017

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should go back and play SNES Mario Kart through modern eyes. It's still fun, but it's maybe the most bullshit game in the series.

The computer is forever exactly one flub behind you and has an infinite supply of super stars and/or banana peels. And that's on 100 cc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the moment they're bitching about, and you have to actively try to not have the skill requirements for it by that stage.

I assume it's the Elpys bit where you need an Ancient Wisdom check to open up the path near the end?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Internet Kraken posted:

To me Mario Kart is like Smash where the crazy chaos is what makes it fun. When you remove all that and make it a completely fair game with a level playing field it becomes really boring.

sure

but could they make the "crazy" elements less awful? i'm sick of getting ink squidded and lightning bolted three times each every round

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Huxley posted:

Everyone should go back and play SNES Mario Kart through modern eyes. It's still fun, but it's maybe the most bullshit game in the series.

The computer is forever exactly one flub behind you and has an infinite supply of super stars and/or banana peels. And that's on 100 cc.

Driving in that game felt really, really bad when my brother and I used his SNES Mini, compared to any of the 3D ones.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mk8D is the best version, simple as that

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

LethalGeek posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Visually, sure, but I've always been a fan of manually activating drift boosting by waggling the stick/dpad, rather than restricting its effectiveness by stats and driving style.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Mutant Standard posted:

sure

but could they make the "crazy" elements less awful? i'm sick of getting ink squidded and lightning bolted three times each every round

It sounds like it’s just not the game for you I guess.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Real hurthling! posted:

Is that really it? Gamespot has some whiners on staff

A lot of game reviewers are really bad at games.

Although part of that is probably needing to rush through to meet a deadline I suppose. Still, any time I've had a story based skill requirement the game has been very clear about alternate ways to complete the objective.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

A lot of game reviewers are really really really really really really really really really bad at games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848Y1Uu5Htk

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Reflexes and skill need constant practice. Not gonna "git gud" if you don't play the same game over and over again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's 18 bucks on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. The console versions are based on those mobile phone versions. Might be 20-25.

That's acceptable. Especially if it means getting more of these games here.

This is literally every race against the CPU in Mario Kart Wii.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
MK8 is a game of luck, and the more I practice the luckier I get.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huxley posted:

MK8 is a game of luck, and the more I practice the luckier I get.

Some days you lose at Mario Kart, some days you manage to both impress and infuriate your best friend at Mario Kart 64 by managing to time a Mushroom-boosted hop over them right at the finish line of Lap 3.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mario Kart is a game I'd basically never play alone but its a blast with friends/siblings. The new game lets you play online with two people which is really nice since you have someone to share the pain with.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I was expecting the Polygon Doom video but this is good too

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's fine if Mario Kart is gonna be wacky bullshit but I'd prefer they didn't put unlockable stuff behind skill-based challenges if that's the case.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mario Kart is totally unlocked from the jump tho? Unless you mean stuff like wheels, which are just based on coins, not on skill.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i dont think anything is locked based on skills except for the time trial gold kart?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

It's fine if Mario Kart is gonna be wacky bullshit but I'd prefer they didn't put unlockable stuff behind skill-based challenges if that's the case.

Gold Mario is a skin, and the gold kart pieces don't have unique stats. I understand that it still is bothersome, but no one is missing out on anything aside from a golden aesthetic.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

also its whacky but it aint that whacky.

by and large you can get skilled enough at it that even the most brutally-timed blue shell won't ruin you

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

chaleski posted:

I was expecting the Polygon Doom video but this is good too

Please link the Polygon Doom video.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why isn't Slime-san more popular? Free DLC expansion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzPcJovopcQ

Imma have to pick it up later I think :nyoron:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing I honestly hate about MK8 is how much the game punishes you for being middle of the road at it. I feel like I will almost consistently do better if I gently caress up a bunch than play well. It's a really unsatisfying and lovely progression for an online experience. There's definelty an upper tier for skill level that I don't have, but I feel like being somewhere in the middle just totally fucks me and I might as well do bad on purpose and get a bunch of free boosters that let me pass everyone than actually try.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

i dont think anything is locked based on skills except for the time trial gold kart?

I meant the series as a whole, not specifically MK8D. I enjoy MK8D very much for the sole reason that I can just jump in and have a party.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Was Bayonetta 1 60fps on Wii U? What about 2?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Was Bayonetta 1 60fps on Wii U? What about 2?

Both games targeted 60fps, with Bayonetta 2 performing better than 1, iirc, but there are drops in certain situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I told a friend about bayonetta 3 being announced and his response was just "is it on a real console?"

I said the switch and he said "so no then"

Sorry guys, switch isn't a real console. Which is weird since he owns a switch. He's just holding out for bayo 2 to get ported to a non-nintendo system even though that's impossible what with nintendo having funded it.

e: oh wait my bad he meant that the wii u isn't a real console :v: he just doesn't like the switch controller.

Wii u was good though, it's unfair to say it's just the virtual boy again but whatevs

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 9, 2017

• Locked thread