Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The fact it was to the angry dude who stormed off last season made it EVEN BETTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Robot Wars final was great, it had everything. Underdog story, an actual fire, Carbide getting their poo poo wrecked and then cannibalising a dead robot to stop it happening again. Lovely stuff.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Travel Man Xmas Special this year is Richard with Jon Hamm in Hong Kong.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I need to do the 2017 version of buying the 2 WEEK XMAS SPECIAL edition of the Radio Times and going through each page with a highlighter pen. Which I guess is getting the PDF version and use the highlighter tool. It’s just not the same! (A lot less to highlight too, but actually surprised that there’s at least a few things I care about. Woo!)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Looke posted:

Not dead yet sadly, however she was about to leave the hospital for good but then was shot by a rampaging gunman, so if we’re lucky...

Holby is one of the few things I go out of my way to watch to blow off stress -- I'm hoping that if it wasn't Elliot or Joseph, that Guppy (from Casualty) is the gunman.

Yeah, I'm about playing the long game, and it had better be someone surprising from the past like that.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Ms Boods posted:

Holby is one of the few things I go out of my way to watch to blow off stress -- I'm hoping that if it wasn't Elliot or Joseph, that Guppy (from Casualty) is the gunman.

Yeah, I'm about playing the long game, and it had better be someone surprising from the past like that.

God drat Guppy, what a character

I don’t know if you’ve seen today’s episode yet

But poor Henrik, I thought his son was just a dickhead, not a killer

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

EL BROMANCE posted:

I need to do the 2017 version of buying the 2 WEEK XMAS SPECIAL edition of the Radio Times and going through each page with a highlighter pen. Which I guess is getting the PDF version and use the highlighter tool. It’s just not the same! (A lot less to highlight too, but actually surprised that there’s at least a few things I care about. Woo!)

I should probably buy the Radio Times at Christmas. I always read it at my grandma’s house, and it is great when you’ve got Boxing Day fatigue and just want the nicely laid out TV listings. It always reminds me to watch Fiddler on the Roof and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

Especially since they’ve updated the previously good EPG on youview and it’s now sluggish and annoying.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

EL BROMANCE posted:

Doing it the old analogue way is a Christmas tradition, don't let that die out!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm enjoying I'm a Celebrity this year. I do hope Iain wins because it's always fun to see the loving shithead lads lose. gently caress Dennis and gently caress Jamie.

The robot wars finale was absolutely great! It's a shame that the same few robots get into the final but I guess it's really expensive to build something that doesn't get totally smashed up in a few minutes.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Looke posted:

God drat Guppy, what a character

I don’t know if you’ve seen today’s episode yet

But poor Henrik, I thought his son was just a dickhead, not a killer

Just finished it this morning, when I should be working on a translation.

Was disappointed when the villain was revealed for a brief moment, I thought it might be Johnny, especially considering how mopey Jacq has been whenever anyone mentioned her home life as 'a person from the past' had me thinking of old characters, not someone who was just in an episode a week prior!

I know this was meant to be the usual yuletide carnage that you get on the soaps, but in recapping the episodes for Mr Boods, I can't stop giggling about the shotgun lobotomy for Ollie, Frederic channeling Gary Oldman during the stand-off, and of COURSE one of the recent newlyweds had to go down -- to be fair, I'd forgot about Rafe as well, and the choral of heavely voices during his surprisingly strong and LONG farewell, considering he'd been shot in the jugular...but then again I was introduced to Casualty decades ago as a comedy by my auntie.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Casualty is absolutely a comedy. Anyone who claims otherwise takes life too seriously.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I’m not even watching I’m a Celeb because it’s not my thing at all but I’m following on twitter because I know Iain a bit and he could do with the boost.

He should always have been more famous than things turned out and I’m unapologetic about that slightly arse-licky opinion.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, I always liked Iain a lot. Had no idea he was even in this until the last day or so. My mate won some gameshow pilot he hosted a bunch of years ago (Sky?) don’t think it ever happened though.

RI:SE > Big Breakfast. No apologies.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Taear posted:

The robot wars finale was absolutely great! It's a shame that the same few robots get into the final but I guess it's really expensive to build something that doesn't get totally smashed up in a few minutes.
The final was absolutely phenomenal. Nuts2 taking out Carbine, Behemoth's last second win against Magnetar, that expensive flipperbot going up in flames, the ten robot melee- it just ruled all the way through. Eruption was totally hosed up at the start of the episode and seeing it survive all the way and win the grand final was awesome.

Oh and the behemoth meme man's reaction to the pit opening under them was the funniest thing this series.

I hopping as the show's revival continues we'll see more and more decent combatants and it'll just keep getting better and better.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

thehustler posted:

I’m not even watching I’m a Celeb because it’s not my thing at all but I’m following on twitter because I know Iain a bit and he could do with the boost.

He should always have been more famous than things turned out and I’m unapologetic about that slightly arse-licky opinion.

It’s a shame he had such a twatty persona on the 11 o clock show and whatever that breakfast TV thing was called. Hadn’t heard much about him until he was on the Adam Buxton podcast where he genuinely seemed a nice person. I hope he makes a comeback.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The 11 o'clock show was such a badly executed good idea.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

The final was absolutely phenomenal. Nuts2 taking out Carbine, Behemoth's last second win against Magnetar, that expensive flipperbot going up in flames, the ten robot melee- it just ruled all the way through. Eruption was totally hosed up at the start of the episode and seeing it survive all the way and win the grand final was awesome.

Oh and the behemoth meme man's reaction to the pit opening under them was the funniest thing this series.

I hopping as the show's revival continues we'll see more and more decent combatants and it'll just keep getting better and better.

Nuts 2 is great because their stupid joke robot accidentally had a weapon at the perfect height to hit unprotected tubes and chains on other robots and started most fights by neutering their opponent's weapon with one shot and then having their tiny robot bully it around the arena while they spun around.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goatface posted:

I wonder how Iain feels about Ricky Gervais's career post 11 o'clock show compared to his. I'd be gutted if I were him, I'm sure.

And while he's not really a twat he is one of those people who tends to use insulting jokes to fit in. Which works sometimes and collapses other times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taear posted:

I wonder how Iain feels about Ricky Gervais's career post 11 o'clock show compared to his. I'd be gutted if I were him, I'm sure.

Likewise, I wonder how the rest of the original cast of History Boys feels about James Corden getting arguably the best career out of all of them (I acknowledge that Cooper is a bigger deal in acting but as an all-round media personality, Corden's the one with the late night talk show in America and gets to host awards shows).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Th

goatface posted:

Daisy Donovan was wasted on it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

James Corden being famous makes zero sense and boils my piss

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Taear posted:

And while he's not really a twat he is one of those people who tends to use insulting jokes to fit in. Which works sometimes and collapses other times.

Not to mention Sacha Baron-Cohen who got his own series off the back of the show, plus his own (terrible) Ali G movie. When people look back at early 2000s comedy, they’ll remember Ali G, but I doubt many people remember how he got started. If you look at the wiki page for the show it’s crazy how many big names contributed to it.

Yeah, he definitely came across as being a bit of a snickering bully boy at times. A lot of comedy at the time was just mean and controversial for the sake of it. A hangover from lad culture I guess.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Bape Culture posted:

James Corden being famous makes zero sense and boils my piss

I liked The Wrong Mans

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He was really, really good in One Man Two Guvnors.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Charlie Brooker got his TV writing start on the 11 O'Clock Show too, it's actually kind of hilarious how well everyone except the two leads did out of it. It's a bit like Matthew Holmes's on Garth Merenghi.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ineptmule posted:

I liked The Wrong Mans

I enjoyed it too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SEX BURRITO posted:

Yeah, he definitely came across as being a bit of a snickering bully boy at times. A lot of comedy at the time was just mean and controversial for the sake of it. A hangover from lad culture I guess.

He's not a snickering bully boy. He's awkward as poo poo and thinks he needs to do it to fit in, but doesn't quite know how to do it or when.
So it backfires.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

wooger posted:

Daisy Donovan was wasted on it.
I love Daisy Donovan, I'm not sure if her career derailed because she preferred the family life or if producers just weren't interested anymore though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Likewise, I wonder how the rest of the original cast of History Boys feels about James Corden getting arguably the best career out of all of them (I acknowledge that Cooper is a bigger deal in acting but as an all-round media personality, Corden's the one with the late night talk show in America and gets to host awards shows).

Not Russell Tovey?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

The thing with his persona on the 11 O’Clock Show was that they sorta made him do it. Then he got like that all the time, was a massive twat and hosed his life up a bit.

Then radio came calling, he stopped drinking and it all turned around. He’s been at so many stations but the output is just brilliant. He’s won a few Radio Academy awards lately.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

He did a RHLSTP that was good too

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thehustler posted:

Then radio came calling, he stopped drinking and it all turned around. He’s been at so many stations but the output is just brilliant. He’s won a few Radio Academy awards lately.

The question is - redtop papers have been saying he's doing the jungle to pay for care for his Mum. Is that real? If it is then it seems like his radio career isn't doing him that well.
Which is a shame, considering.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Taear posted:

The question is - redtop papers have been saying he's doing the jungle to pay for care for his Mum. Is that real? If it is then it seems like his radio career isn't doing him that well.
Which is a shame, considering.
Have you seen the cost of elderly care?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Radio Dj-ing doesn't pay that well if you're not in one of the overpaid breakfast slots on BBC Radio.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Akuma posted:

Have you seen the cost of elderly care?

I have, I just assumed that if Iain was doing well with his DJing he'd be earning reasonable money that was all.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

His mum has MS and it’s been tough to get the right care for her over the years. He talks about it sometimes. Radio DJs always give you small snippets sometimes. It’s a strange relationship, the one between DJ and listener.

Now I want to read Dead Air again...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Radio pays gently caress all. He’s wanted back into telly for years. Very vocally.

Edit: damnit

thehustler fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 11, 2017

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
So, for a while I ran a vpn to trick my ps4 into thinking I was in the UK, thus allowing me to stream all4 and BBC stuff. My current roommates arent into that idea, so I'm wondering what my best options are for streaming British tv in the US. Do I have any?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Gejimayu posted:

So, for a while I ran a vpn to trick my ps4 into thinking I was in the UK, thus allowing me to stream all4 and BBC stuff. My current roommates arent into that idea, so I'm wondering what my best options are for streaming British tv in the US. Do I have any?

What's wrong with them? Oh well. Kodi may be your best bet. You can side load it into Amazon fire sticks.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve considered using [url= https://www.uktveverywhere.com]these guys[/url], the only drawback is on top of the $20 subscription (which is fine as that package has everything I’d want and it includes dvr which id need due to the time zone issues) you have to buy one of their boxes. But they’ve been around for a few years and generally get good reviews, just a shame there’s no way to trial it.

I was hoping to find a decent enough iptv service that did subscriptions for just basic freeview but not found anything solid, and again lacking dvr.

Kinda funny how ustvnow.com did exactly what I needed while in the U.K. and wanting US tv, even down to the free tier.