Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fathis Munk posted:

Hell yeah, I am super into the concept of jet turbines associated with tank treads now.

There’s probably some designs from the Germans’secret weapons vault of WW2. That’s probably where GW keeps stealing their designs (and I don’t just mean vehicles :haw:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

The problem is that love it or hate it, GW has a very clear design language for its imperial vehicles. This worked for the Thunderhawk but it hasn't come out well since, usually because the flyers are smaller and come across as flying cubes.

What I always heard was that it was supposed to be an extended, striking fist. Actually being longer than it wide certainly helps the design, too.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

anti_strunt posted:

What I always heard was that it was supposed to be an extended, striking fist. Actually being longer than it wide certainly helps the design, too.

As rad as that sounds, it doesn't translate very well onto the models. I would never have thought of a fist if you hadn't said that.

Chill la Chill posted:

There’s probably some designs from the Germans’secret weapons vault of WW2. That’s probably where GW keeps stealing their designs (and I don’t just mean vehicles :haw:)

I think the soviets actually experimented with putting wings on tanks. If I remember right the idea was to use a motorized sled to get the tank airborne or release it from a cargo plane and then have it glide in to where it was needed and detach the wings when it landed.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 6, 2017

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

The Skeleton King posted:

I think the soviets actually experimented with putting wings on tanks. If I remember right the idea was to use a motorized sled to get the tank airborne or release it from a cargo plane and then have it glide in to where it was needed and detach the wings when it landed.

It's one those crazy sounding ideas that would have probably won the war for them if it had worked out. Like bouncing bombs across a lake to take out that key infrastructure. But it turned out to be actually crazy and wouldn't come to fruition until the A-Team parachuted a tank out of a plane and steered by firing the gun. Next step, add the wings!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The problem is you can't land the tank without tearing out the suspension or making it a big fat target to anti-tank fire as it comes down.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

As rad as that sounds, it doesn't translate very well onto the models. I would never have thought of a fist if you hadn't said that.

TBH I never really saw it either

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aerodynamics is heresy

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

anti_strunt posted:

Well that sure is a thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

anti_strunt posted:

Looks like those spaceships my bro and I used to make with our wee waffle toys

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The air just moves where it knows it should be according to the divine will of the emperor.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Synthbuttrange posted:

Aerodynamics is heresy

"Sir, we've repaired that STC we found but it can only produce one thing."

"What is that thing?"

"An armored box, sir."

"Great! Put treads on it! Make a bigger one and put treads on that!"

"What if we put wings on the box, sir?"

"Brilliant! Now put together three boxes and put wings on that! I'm a drat genius."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

anti_strunt posted:

This is hella cute.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

anti_strunt posted:

I used to have a couple of those. And many of those cards. Space Marine was my first GW game after Hero Quest/Space Crusade. I miss squats.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I murdered the poo poo out of Warlord Titans with those goofy bastards all the time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That doofy circle on the front was where you put the chapter symbol decal!

Those were kind of incredible, I'd love to see one upscaled to 28mm.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

That doofy circle on the front was where you put the chapter symbol decal!

Those were kind of incredible, I'd love to see one upscaled to 28mm.

Ask, and ye shall receive: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/240/267859.page;jsessionid=FB28FFB705B02F14FAB76CF83E958BBB#2380296

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm the warjack in the wrong game.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm the warjack in the wrong game.

No, no - he left the wrong game.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Nooo he's a little RT era dreadnought.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

someone buy me an avatar that flips between these 4 beautiful faces. TIA

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I know it probably isn't, but it looks like he lined the top with Chiclets.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

the Imperium are masters of antigrav but at the same time totally ignorant of how it works. Much like orks

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
When you have archeotech engines that can already put out more thrust than you could build anything to handle, you don't need lift surfaces or aerodynamics. You just smash that air out of the way! Applying overwhelming force inefficiently to the point it'll just barely get the job done is an imperial motto.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hell yeah Iron Hams

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gender illusionist posted:

the Imperium are masters of antigrav but at the same time totally ignorant of how it works. Much like orks

Orks know how things work, they work because they do

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hamshot posted:

When you have archeotech engines that can already put out more thrust than you could build anything to handle, you don't need lift surfaces or aerodynamics. You just smash that air out of the way! Applying overwhelming force inefficiently to the point it'll just barely get the job done is an imperial motto.

Needs jpg of an F-4 Phantom with aquila painted on

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I just bumped into this, I don't think I've seen it before.

VVV There's a model painting thread, and this thread which has become something of a general "interesting models" thread. If there was an actual "interesting models and conversions" thread I'd have posted there.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 9, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Again, wrong thread. If people want to make their guard into bad guys I'd much prefer Cobra to Hydra or Nazis.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
insane crazy poo poo that somehow works is also allowed in this thread

if it was the interesting mini thread people would just post 'cool' conversions of space marines

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

People post "wrong thread" unironically?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Xarbala posted:

People post "wrong thread" unironically?

Apparently lol

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I'm behind on the thread, but this is my first great find in the wild, apologies if it's already been posted.

Ebay "40K Homemade Space Marine Deathwatch Landraider"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it has but its always a welcome sight

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
When life gives you Lemons a Ghost ark, make Lemonaid a Triarch Stalker:

*it came from ebay*

"We have four nice used figures so please see all pics for what is missing and what is there. The carnifex is missing a limb I think it also had the gun with it. The flyer which is quite small is missing an arm also and the other is glued back so will need some tlc. The other two appear to be quite nice but again see all pics as I might not even know what is supposed to be there as I know very little about these."

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just posting a link to the auction because it's :nws:

But this belongs here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k-Officio-Assassinorum-Callidus-Assassin-oop-metal/332446947394?hash=item4d6761d842:g:uJ8AAOSwY~1aCF3e

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Man, that painting is so bad, it barely counts as NSFW!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

5% off how could I say no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Looks like a buff Mad Max villain