Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The Stars Are Right! Dagon brings us a glorious bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
then you get close and some chryssalids pop out

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why on Earth isn't there a chryssalid mod for Rimworld yet? Or even just a more general XCOM one

Tie it into the dropships mod

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Getting up to the high side of the map to deal with sieges and poo poo is kind of a pain so, yeah

e: Dove still has issues after all I guess :emo:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 8, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Coolguye posted:

then you get close and some chryssalids pop out

Cruise ship terror missions are lobstermen which is so much worse than chryssalids.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Who needs to play the game when flesh forge plays it for you in glorious "analog".. instead of video it's scrap book!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh Dove, don't you see? You were saved the moment you accepted the Crawling Chaos into your heart! :glomp:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Brin just got mangled by a hungry cougar and is recovering in the hospital. Raven, who is having the "drama bomb" mental break, walks into the hospital, apparently likes what she sees

Raven: drat U FINE, DTF?
Brin: *agonized moaning*
Raven: AWWW YIS LETS GET HITCHED BITCH
Bring: Please leave

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think you've read that conversation all wrong. Raven clearly opened with "ARE YOU AN ANGEL? BECAUSE YOU LOOK LIKE YOU FELL FROM HEAVEN, REALLY HARD"

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Slime posted:

So is it still not worth going for hydroponics if you have solar flares enabled? Because it seems like with how often the game likes to gently caress me with solar flares I'm better off installing sun lamps in heated, soily rooms to grow things throughout the whole year rather than bother with goddamn hydroponics what with how often it loving fails and drat near instantly kills the goddamn loving plant.

Hydroponics is still worth it for anything except Devilstrand, since solar flares aren't that common and you should get a good number of harvests inbetween them. I only stop bothering with them if I have a year-round growing season.

Flesh Forge posted:

No power infrastructure -> no refrigeration -> food rots :science:

Packaged Survival Meals :colbert: If you have that much food rotting, you can afford the extra ingredients to make them.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 8, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well that implies like, a billion research I hadn't done yet :shrug:

Actually I have research stopped right now, the colony is sort of at the coal/industrial age and although I have components coming out of my ears I'm only just securing land to actually build things like a power infrastructure. Each of those 5x5 colonist rooms costs something like 1500 blocks and wood/bone which, yes, could have gone instead to platforms for power and production and stockpile space but I don't play games to crush, I play them to bake bread :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Raven never gave up :glomp:

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

MadJackMcJack posted:

Packaged Survival Meals :colbert: If you have that much food rotting, you can afford the extra ingredients to make them.

Don't even need that, pemmican practically lasts forever. Esp if you put it in a room with swamp coolers or underground. I never used to use it but now that I'm finally getting into tribal runs I stack heaps upon heaps of pemmican on the pemmican throne.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Really need to build a much bigger hospital :(

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Flesh Forge posted:

Raven never gave up :glomp:

You really should have put a marriage spot in the temple.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
A romantic camping trip with your sweetheart under the ~stars~

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Please tell me that's made from one of their ex lovers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sometimes I think I build too many traps. But then this happens.

e: The tide has turned!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 8, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Maybe I don't build ENOUGH traps :thunk:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Flesh Forge posted:

Maybe I don't build ENOUGH traps :thunk:

Traps are terrible at killing Centipedes. They’ll kill Scythers as you noticed, but you’re better off kiting Centipedes.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
having ten elephants seemed like a good idea until keeping them meant eating nothing but whatever meat I can find until I get enough power to keep my hydroponics running :negative: I have ten colonists and even with three dudes hunting I can't put food on the table fast enough so everyone is starving or getting food poisoning from eating raw ostriches

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 8, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Traps are terrible at killing Centipedes. They’ll kill Scythers as you noticed, but you’re better off kiting Centipedes.

I think it is much better to have a gang of heavy melee beat the poo poo out of them in close combat but that's me :shrug:

Things are starting to shape up, I still barely have any power infrastructure (3 coal generators) but I have a vast amount of bone now and I can build platforms for solar/wind generators on platforms made of that. A giant excess of rubbish left by raiders is a constant concern, I probably should just burn it rather than recycle it.

The hospital has to actually be on proper land because I want sterile tile floors there, which means gobs of earthworks to fill in the deep water:

I could get the rooms to fit together more snugly than this but I like to leave a little bit of water visible here and there :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 8, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The real drawback of fielding melee is you need like 5 fulltime tailors because they shred all their clothing every fight.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Eh, it keeps them busy I guess?

Usually by the year I have a fully matured colony, most of my pawns are looking for stuff to do half the time. All the needs are met, security isn't a problem, and all we have to do is maintain the food stockpile, keep up with maintenance, burn all the raider corpses and blood soaked clothing, and keep up with the repair component demand. And build replacement artillery ammo I suppose.

Biggest issue is sending out mining parties looking for loving uranium in different near by maps.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I wonder, would people have a use for a mod that makes some electrical infrastructure stuff buyable from caravans/spaceship traders rather than necessarily needing to make it yourself? So you could buy a solar generator and hook it up to some coolers you also bought and get a freezer running before you have the required research. It would let tribals get a head start when it comes to getting some of those handy things going, at a cost.

i got the idea because i raided a pirate outpost and got some lights and a turret that i could cart back home but couldn't use because i couldn't also take their solar panels + batteries + power conduits with me and felt it would be a fun idea if i could in fact take them home with me

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So Nature's Pretty Sweet is infact, pretty sweet.

This might be the bigest fire I've ever seen:

On another note Red wood is OP as gently caress. You thought wood statues was the way to fortune? Wood has base value of 1.2. Red wood is 3.4.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Redwood is balanced by, like lava fields, slowing the game to a crawl if you try running it faster than 1x speed (on the lame computer I use anyways)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sure old crackhead lady, you can join, bring your friends

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
A pawn like that always gets drafted and forced to charge into their future kidnappers. :byewhore:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
oh lord she is an actor too prepare for “incapable of dumb labor”

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That Guy Bob posted:

A pawn like that always gets drafted and forced to charge into their future kidnappers. :byewhore:

She's welcome for all the delicious raiders she brought :unsmigghh: She wasn't bad either, a little stringy but good with hot sauce :shrug:

We have got to stop doubling the freezer as a prison, for one thing there's not really enough cells but also the prisoners keep dying of frostbite in the summer.

So we're building a proper prison, down near the gate. Also since it'll be climate controlled I can strip their gear and give them crappy prison togs to wear until it is their time to meet the Crawling Chaos.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

We admire its purity

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

MiningCo Spaceship seems wildly overpowered.

Is there a dropship or other player airship/colony saving mod updated for B18?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Prison complete :smith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

LLSix posted:

MiningCo Spaceship seems wildly overpowered.

Is there a dropship or other player airship/colony saving mod updated for B18?

I wish, I never realized how much I relied on jetting across the planet for trading until now. I might give that mod a shot just because god drat even with higher stack limits I still have so much garbage lying about, and I haven't seen a trade ship for ever

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Hey, Flesh Forge, how do you build walls on your bridges? It shows up as invalid terrain for me and I sure as gently caress would like the ability to build boardwalk housing complexes because there is not a lot of usable terrain in my lovely swamp.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You have to construct Heavy bridges to support walls, not basic ones. Also you can't place heaters on basic bridges. It's OK to place interior floors as basic bridges as well as doorways, that prison floorplan is a good example: white = basic bridge made of bone, dark = heavy bridges made of granite. it takes time and tonnnnnnnnns of resources and more time but it lets you build pretty amazing poo poo out over water :woop:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So convenient

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good news boys, surgery is 100% off! OF YOUR DICKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I dunno if it's a feature of the Hospitality mod or if it's mods acting weird with each other, but I've noticed that if a visitor has passion for a skill, they will do work for me with that skill to get joy. Like this guy, he has passion for medicine, so....

I've also had them mining, researching and cooking for me. Madness, but hey, an extra pair of hands is always welcome.