Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've bought stuff from play-Asia and can vouch for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

i only want bayonetta 2 so ill probably just go digital, but i have to imagine a switch-sized steelbook is loving cool

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know about elsewhere but America's getting the same deal as they did on Wii U, where if you buy one game on the eShop it discounts the other so the total price for both is $60, it's $50 for Bayo 2 + $10 for Bayo 1, or $30 for Bayo 1 + $30 for Bayo 2

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Is Spirit Tracks a game worth playing?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
http://www.shopncsx.com has been around forever and are much less gamergatey

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Not even a little.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

The Milkman posted:

http://www.shopncsx.com has been around forever and are much less gamergatey

what's gamergate?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

it's fine. but you'd have to have played pretty much any other Zelda game before it. the other ones are just so much better. it's just really mediocre in a great series

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Well, alright.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I like the overworld theme, especially the version they play on that anniversary album that came with Skyward Sword

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
So when can I preorder the super maximum infinite climax from Japan

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Did anyone ever play The End Is Nigh? I think there was a thread when it got announced but I can't find it. It comes out on Switch tomorrow and I guess I'm gonna get it, from reviews it sounds at least like the closest thing to a Super Meat Boy port (also Slime-San is in that same neighborhood and worth checking out if anyone hasn't. there's a demo)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

Did anyone ever play The End Is Nigh? I think there was a thread when it got announced but I can't find it. It comes out on Switch tomorrow and I guess I'm gonna get it, from reviews it sounds at least like the closest thing to a Super Meat Boy port (also Slime-San is in that same neighborhood and worth checking out if anyone hasn't. there's a demo)

i loved it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

It's fun

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hell yes . Excited for Ente The Gungeon on Thursday, too .... I got it on PS4 and really liked it at first, then disliked it, then came around again and appreciated it more. Apparently there was an update since I last played that rebalanced the early-game drop rate of weapons/keys (which was my main beef with it) and then there's another free one (Advanced Gungeons & Draguns) coming by the end of the month with like a full expansion's worth of new content

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

Advanced Gungeons & Draguns

nice.. first i heard of that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

nice.. first i heard of that

Yeah 20 new guns, 20 new items, new room layouts and enemies, at least one new boss, some quality of life improvements , an easy mode option, and a ton of new item synergies. and maybe some other poo poo... looks cool

edit: and it might be coming out on week for all platforms along with the Switch version? the devs still haven't specified a release date but are still saying that (a) it will be out this month and that (b) the Switch version will get it when everyone else does, and based on the last Stardew Valley update apparently Nintendo still takes like a month to approve patches, so here's hoping they just drop the updated version

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 12, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i saw VVVVVV was on switch now and man now i kinda wanna play VVVVVV all over again, all i have on my switch is splatoon 2 and odyssey

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

i saw VVVVVV was on switch now and man now i kinda wanna play VVVVVV all over again, all i have on my switch is splatoon 2 and odyssey

VVVVVV is great but if you want a new old platformer the Switch has a ton of good stuff

Wonder Boy, Sonic, Blaster Master Zero, Spelunker Party, Shantae, and Mighty Gunvolt Burst are all fun

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

oh poo poo I forgot Gunvolt was on Switch -- it's both of the 3DS games, right? I loved the first one but my 3DS broke by the time the sequel came out

edit: also I'll vouch for Gonner, Steamworld Dig 2, and Slime-San as fun platformers in addition to the ones you mentioned .

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

oh poo poo I forgot Gunvolt was on Switch -- it's both of the 3DS games, right? I loved the first one but my 3DS broke by the time the sequel came out

edit: also I'll vouch for Gonner, Steamworld Dig 2, and Slime-San as fun platformers in addition to the ones you mentioned .

Mighty Gunvolt Burst is a different game, i think both of the 3ds games is a package thats not out yet?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ahh the 2 pack is out, its called Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack

thats also good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

elf help book posted:

VVVVVV is great but if you want a new old platformer the Switch has a ton of good stuff

Wonder Boy, Sonic, Blaster Master Zero, Spelunker Party, Shantae, and Mighty Gunvolt Burst are all fun
nice! little hesitant about sonic since i was never super into sonic but ive heard really good things about shantae and gunvolt, so i might check those out, thank you

but god VVVVVV was so good lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

Mighty Gunvolt Burst is a different game, i think both of the 3ds games is a package thats not out yet?

Oh whoa Burst is something different entirely huh. Interesting

edit: and it's $10 ok I bought it

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 12, 2017

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i own like 5 copies of VVVVVV and i know one day itll go on sale and ill buy it on switch too, its a fun game to drop 2 hours on

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i love nintendo games and indie platformers

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

elf help book posted:

i own like 5 copies of VVVVVV and i know one day itll go on sale and ill buy it on switch too, its a fun game to drop 2 hours on
i just now saw it was $10 and i was expecting it to be $20, radical

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

nice! little hesitant about sonic since i was never super into sonic but ive heard really good things about shantae and gunvolt, so i might check those out, thank you

but god VVVVVV was so good lol

Sonic Mania is loving great but it's gonna feel very weird to you if you didn't grow up on Sonic games. I owned a Genesis as a kid and it still feels strange playing Sonic games....... it's almost like they were made in an alternate divergent timeline where the flow & philisophy of the classic Mario games never happened, they're definitely their own thing, but it's good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

since shantae came up i played some of the Friend to the End dlc that comes out tomorrow. It's kinda cool.

it strips the game down a bit into being fully linear, theres no world map like in the main game, but you can access a stage select from the pause screen. There's also no items and no normal stat building.

each of the 3 characters has different abilities, and you need to use them to get through the edited levels. instead of collecting money, money works like the xp on the weapons in cave story, you level up a character and they get more powerful but they drop xp when they get hit and can level down again

the story is goofy, you need to fix shantae after she became evil in the main story, so you enter her mind and essentially replay the game from her memories. so all the cutscenes are edited like how she remembers them, going 'blah blah blah' if she wasnt listening, acting really exagerated, that kinda thing. its fun for another rehash

the risky dlc was ok in that youre doing the same thing as the main game but with crazy powers, this actually feels like it has more thought put into it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

Steamworld 2 is fun?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

Sonic Mania is loving great but it's gonna feel very weird to you if you didn't grow up on Sonic games. I owned a Genesis as a kid and it still feels strange playing Sonic games....... it's almost like they were made in an alternate divergent timeline where the flow & philisophy of the classic Mario games never happened, they're definitely their own thing, but it's good

a question noobs often ask is 'where do i go', the answer is it doesnt matter just go, youll get there

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just chiming in to say I've beaten Mighty Gunvolt Burst like 7 times and love it, it's got a killer gun customization system, the levels and bosses are tight and once you know the routes you can beat it in like 50 minutes. It's a great game and they keep adding free dlc characters

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i missed the dlc being free for gunvolt and blaster master but i should just buy it all, they deserve it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

Just chiming in to say I've beaten Mighty Gunvolt Burst like 7 times and love it, it's got a killer gun customization system, the levels and bosses are tight and once you know the routes you can beat it in like 50 minutes. It's a great game and they keep adding free dlc characters

Yeah I just beat the first stage and then looked at the weapon customization screen and my jaw basically dropped lol. Being able to create your own weapons with a points system is a really cool idea for a Mega Man clone & the ability to take penalties like taking 3x damage in exchange for more customization points is awesome . Can't believe I didn't know about this game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

Steamworld 2 is fun?

Yeah I didn't get far in the first game but I blew through the sequel, couldn't put it down. My biggest complaint is probably that it's short (took me like 7 hours by the in-game clock) & that the last boss fight is really good and there should have been a bunch more like it. I didn't even come close to 100%ing it though and it's also clearly set up with speedruns/sequence breaking in mind so if you're the kinda person who replays stuff a lot the length may not be a big issue. I'll definitely revisit it and clear out all the secrets at some point. I think the first game had a lot of procedurally generated stuff but the map in this game is all hand made and it makes a big difference

edit: also it's got some of the best Grappling Hook Feels in a 2D platformer that I've ever enjoyed.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ive tried to play through steamworld dig 1 on 3 separate occasions and got too bored and couldnt continue halfway through each time

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I've heard nothing but great things about Steamworld 2, never played one but might check it out

goferchan posted:

yeah something about Sonic just plays weird to me due to my brain being completely molded by mario. maybe if it's on sale tho

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Volgarr the Viking is years old and kinda ugly but it's on Switch now and I like it a lot, it's an arcade-style platformer with Super Ghouls n Ghosts jumps

Gunvolt Striker Pack Switch isn't just ports, they updated the games to run at 60FPS, changed some of the systems in the first game to match the systems in the second game, redid the UI, etc. they're the best versions of each game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Steamworld Heist is also worth checking out , I know it's on 3DS and iOS and I assume on PC as well. It's the same world as the Dig games but a completely different genre, X-Com style turn based squad strategy except it's on a 2D sidescrolling plane. You aim and adjust trajectory like you're playing Worms or something basically and it works out really well.... I hope it gets a sequel that builds on it the same way Steamworld Dig 2 did on the first game