Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Endless Mike posted:

Turns out, she's not like most girls

More like most girls than any other woman on the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nia is way too nice to be a convincing heel, that whole monster push was misguided from the start.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

It is likely the best Hogan match ever.

His best matches are the WM match with Savage and the cage match with Bossman

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Nah, it was a good idea. It's just that you can only push one insane monster at a time and Nia couldn't show up Braun. By all accounts and him online Braun is just as nice as Nia Jax

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Nah, it was a good idea. It's just that you can only push one insane monster at a time and Nia couldn't show up Braun. By all accounts and him online Braun is just as nice as Nia Jax

Outside of that Karen Jarrett story I suppose.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

didn't that end up not being real? legit question

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

A quick look around shows nothing to dispute it's having happened. He apologized so, eh, whatever. If he's cool now that's great, anybody can have a bad day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's inconsistent stories.

Karen said they were just acting in character.

A witness said they were both kind of drunk and got a bit loud but it wasn't a big thing.

A different witness said he got on his knees and begged for forgiveness.

The middle seems most likely.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Mickie Knuckles isn't super fat but she's not in great shape and beats the crap out of people.
I'm checking some vids out now, this looks promising, thank you! So far she's not Owens-esque in her capabilities but she is indeed out of shape and beating rear end (in deathmatches no less). I feel like I've heard the name before, was she involved in some kind of drama in CZW or a similar place? I want to say a legit beatdown on some guy?

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, there are some women in wrestling who are heavyset and not conventional-American-TV-pretty, but you can't trust WWE to have a "fat-rear end woman" without her gimmick being "fat-rear end woman" which is just a gross thing to promote. Are you familiar with Dump Matsumoto?
I'm familiar with her by name and appearance, but not actually familiar with her work. I'll check her out next. She apparently teamed with Bull Nakano, who I considered as a possible answer, but she was more crazy/bizarre looking and only a bit thicker than standard WWF models.

I wouldn't have high hopes for a fat woman in WWE regardless of talent, which is why I didn't include my original follow-up question of whether WWE had ever showed interest in such a prospect. I sorta wonder if 'talented fat woman beats the poo poo out of rear end in a top hat instagram-model-esque women' would appeal to the crowd in the same way as 'Talented drunk redneck beats the poo poo out of his rear end in a top hat boss', but probably not.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE just needs to sign Aja Kong. Surely Vince isn't scared of her still

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
In addition to Knuckles, how about LuFisto?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

WWE just needs to sign Aja Kong. Surely Vince isn't scared of her still

Be real, everyone is scared of Aja... She's one bad mother.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

dromal phrenia posted:

I'm checking some vids out now, this looks promising, thank you! So far she's not Owens-esque in her capabilities but she is indeed out of shape and beating rear end (in deathmatches no less). I feel like I've heard the name before, was she involved in some kind of drama in CZW or a similar place? I want to say a legit beatdown on some guy?

From what I remember, she had just gotten signed to TNA and was finishing up indy dates. She was in a match with some guy and she kept stiffing him so he stiffed her back. Her face got puffed up and Ian Rotten got pissed off. Him and some other dude then beat up the guy in the ring for messing up her face before she was going on tv. I probably have some details wrong but it was a whole stupid affair.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Anyone here buy and read the Crazy Like A Fox: The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later book yet?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

Anyone here buy and read the Crazy Like A Fox: The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later book yet?

Waiting for it to show up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Do Japanese promotions ever try to work yakuza angles, or is that considered a bad idea that might piss off actual yakuza?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

punch tominaga had to get a yakuza perm for losing a match a few years back and he parlayed that into a scummy thug gimmick. only thing that comes to mind

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When your indy/UWF(i)/spin off needs Yakuza money to stay afloat you ain't gonna make fun of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean they never came out and said it, but Chono's gimmick as he got older felt like he was emulating Yakuza stuff from movies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I mean they never came out and said it, but Chono's gimmick as he got older felt like he was emulating Yakuza stuff from movies.

Also, the "Yakuza Kick"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Also, the "Yakuza Kick"

"He kicked a man in the head, Schiavone!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Some of the weirder promotions out there that might do a yakuza angle like HUSTLE were backed with yakuza money so that wasn't happening. Even a fairly weird promotion like Tajiri's had that kind of backing.

Maybe DDT will.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
666 has a parody Yakuza gimmick, but good luck sitting through enough 666 to appreciate it.

Isn't Chono's "Yakuza kick" called the "kenka kick" in Japan? Or am I getting video game names confused with reality yet once again

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember WWE wanted Taijiri to do a Yakuza gimmick, and he flat out told them no, explaining that it could put his family's life in danger back home

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We'll always have the New Japan hidden bosses in Yakuza 0 at least, and the old guys appearing as hidden bosses in the next Yakuza game

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/939563356377067520

Was Raw actually close to getting cancelled by USA in 98?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They were getting curbstomped by WCW until they brought in Tyson and started the big Austin push, although I don't know anything about behind the scenes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The call was made to cancel Raw and Tuesday night fights in late 97, as of the end of the 97-98 season.

Raw then got popular and only TNF got axed.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

SatoshiMiwa posted:

We'll always have the New Japan hidden bosses in Yakuza 0 at least, and the old guys appearing as hidden bosses in the next Yakuza game

I just got Yakuza 0 and I'm like three chapters in. How soon can I make this happen

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

I just got Yakuza 0 and I'm like three chapters in. How soon can I make this happen

He was one game out. Yakuza 6 is the one that has the NJPW guys

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
this whole post was an embarassment to myself, my community, and most importantly the good lord above

shiksa fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 10, 2017

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Gaz-L posted:

He was one game out. Yakuza 6 is the one that has the NJPW guys

This breaks my heart but it makes sense that they aren't in 0

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Since I was curious about it, I did a bit of digging and found something showing their apperances off: https://streamable.com/4x4s9
Featuring YTR, TenCozy, Tanahashi, Naito and Okada.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

This breaks my heart but it makes sense that they aren't in 0

Inoki should be in there bustin up dudes on the street.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

frankenfreak posted:

Since I was curious about it, I did a bit of digging and found something showing their apperances off: https://streamable.com/4x4s9

Disappointed the camera doesn't zoom right out on the Rainmaker pose :shobon:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

drat, Tana gets shanked here as well.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

and naturally no sells it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

drat, Tana gets shanked here as well.

drat news reporters

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Some of you dudes mentioned a book about Brian Pillman, is it just an examination of his interesting approach to the business or is it a biography? Because Brian's an all-time favorite and I find the guy fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Some of you dudes mentioned a book about Brian Pillman, is it just an examination of his interesting approach to the business or is it a biography? Because Brian's an all-time favorite and I find the guy fascinating.

Biography. Crazy Like A Fox: The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later https://www.amazon.com/dp/1976541247/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MNGlAbYA8Q6EY