Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

euphronius posted:

But how many want it.

105%, and it's usually a rationalization to convince themselves that a minivan Just Won't Fit My Needs And So I Need A Yukon Denali Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If people hate minivans, why not buy a full sized van? Completely different stigma, people will just think you're a plumber or something.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

DTaeKim posted:

As an addendum, if you plan on having more than two children and/or intend to carry passengers in addition to your kids, just get the minivan. Any third row in a SUV is going to be painful to get in and out.

Counterpoint: Minivans are ugly and it sucks driving something you hate.

It's not always about "stigma".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

versus the automotive design icons that are the Chevrolet Traverse, Dodge Durango, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Murano, etc, eh

Nov 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

versus the automotive design icons that are the Chevrolet Traverse, Dodge Durango, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Murano, etc, eh

There are plenty of people who find those models significantly more attractive than a minivan - beauty is in the eye of the beholder - just look at the Flex.

I understand the argument that if you are using a third row on a daily basis it makes complete sense to get the minivan. But if that third row is only going to be occupied occasionally - and you dislike minivans - why punish yourself (the person who will spend the most time in the car and is buying it) for the occasional convenience of a few passengers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

To me, it's nothing about whether Those People drive minivans and I'm not one of them.

It's the fact that every minivan is ugly and there are some nice looking SUVs. (CX-9 for example)

Of course, you could make the argument that my idea of attractiveness is informed by my notions of what Those People drive, but ehh...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Besides, you're fooling yourself if you think you're not making decisions based upon cultural poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Minivans are like a Prius in that they represent a vehicle that has prioritized practicality to the abandonment of basically everything else, and americans as a rule are kind of afraid of that sort of purity of purpose

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
The Prius metaphor is right on. I drive one and, while it is perfect for what I need it to do, I still hate it and will not be replacing it with another when the time comes. While I don't get the love affair with SUVs, in this context I do understand a seemingly irrational aversion to the minivan.

Nov 6, 2002

I'm summary, car buying is a land of contrasts.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Back in Tony Soprano's day SUV meant a BOF truck based oxcart that got 16mpg and had very inefficient packaging. you could legitimately have a "need" for an SUV over the minivan. Today when people say SUV they just mean a less convenient, less efficiient minivan that's can't do anything that a Minivan can't.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

. Today when people say SUV they just mean a less convenient, less efficiient minivan that's can't do anything that a Minivan can't.

(except look good!)

There is a beauty in pure functionalism. Minivans all do this weird thing where they don't embrace their functional nature and try to be all swoopy/bubbly/weird.

I'd legit drive a Ford Transit or similar with a nice interior because it's pure function and it looks like it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Back in Tony Soprano's day SUV meant a BOF truck based oxcart that got 16mpg and had very inefficient packaging. you could legitimately have a "need" for an SUV over the minivan. Today when people say SUV they just mean a less convenient, less efficiient minivan that's can't do anything that a Minivan can't.

You (and many others) are confusing SUV with CUV. I get it because the marketing does as well.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Motronic posted:

You (and many others) are confusing SUV with CUV. I get it because the marketing does as well.

None of the acronyms mean anything. The distinction is that back in the day when people talked about SUVs they meant something specific, but today it can mean a CX-3.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

Neither of these are real

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
Clearly we need wagons with suicide seats to neatly avoid minivan and SUV aversions!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Bring back the shooting brake.

Nov 6, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

(except look good!)

There is a beauty in pure functionalism. Minivans all do this weird thing where they don't embrace their functional nature and try to be all swoopy/bubbly/weird.

I'd legit drive a Ford Transit or similar with a nice interior because it's pure function and it looks like it.

I actually really like the Transit Connect and did quite a bit of research on them before my last purchase. It looks like what it is.

Unfortunately all the interiors are really awful.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly the best not van minivan is the Ford Flex.. looks like a truck.. has good 3rd row and good capacity. I fit a riding mower in a minivan.. can't do that in an SUV.. too short.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tater_salad posted:

Honestly the best not van minivan is the Ford Flex.. looks like a truck.. has good 3rd row and good capacity. I fit a riding mower in a minivan.. can't do that in an SUV.. too short.

I prefer it before the redesign.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 6, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I actually really like the Transit Connect and did quite a bit of research on them before my last purchase. It looks like what it is.

Unfortunately all the interiors are really awful.

the interior is just Ford partsbin, it's not that bad

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
Helping my girlfriend find a replacement for her 03 civic which is threatening to get very expensive to mantain

Proposed Budget: Under 22K
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: City commuting, occasional road trip, general use i.e. groceries, etc
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, safety, cost of ownership (maintenance), mpg, something that can handle the snow would be nice, that happens here.

Thanks!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Aesirstorm posted:

Helping my girlfriend find a replacement for her 03 civic which is threatening to get very expensive to mantain

How will you be using the car?: City commuting, occasional road trip, general use i.e. groceries, etc
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, safety, cost of ownership (maintenance), mpg, something that can handle the snow would be nice, that happens here.

Thanks!

Another civic? I believe the new hatchbacks can be had for that price. If she doesn't like the styling, Mazda 3?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Civic hatch sport is $21.5k, EX is $23k. I have a 10th gen civic (Si sedan) and love it, although I wish it had the new accord's infotainment. Really good fuel economy, fun to drive, comfortable, etc. Another car I drove and liked was the Elantra GT, but the fuel economy was nowhere near the Civic and I didn't find it as much fun. Nicer interior and infotainment though, and better warranty and finance options.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I'm eyeing a 2002 Subaru Forester S for 2.6k. I'll get a Carfax, but is this a situation where I'm walking into a potential timing belt/head gasket/water pump bomb if those parts haven't been replaced? Just over 200k miles.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Yes. Does the seller have any receipts? What is the history of the car?

Timing belt interval on that engine is around 100k, so if it's on it's second belt it will need one soon. It is possible (I've seen it) but not probable to have original headgaskets at 200k.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aesirstorm posted:

Thanks!

are we talking like Front Range snow or Southeast Michigan snow? because all cars ever made can handle 80% of the parts of the US in which it snows

anyway, you can also check out the Ford Focus if she can drive stick. I still don't trust the DTC automatic transmission. They are available very cheap so total cost of ownership is great even if it's a little less reliable than a Civic. The Hyundai Elantra and Kia Rio are pretty well regarded at this point too. I prefer the interior of the Rio personally but they're basically the same car.

You can also look at the Toyota iM and Honda Fit, which are a bit smaller.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are we talking like Front Range snow or Southeast Michigan snow? because all cars ever made can handle 80% of the parts of the US in which it snows

anyway, you can also check out the Ford Focus if she can drive stick. I still don't trust the DTC automatic transmission. They are available very cheap so total cost of ownership is great even if it's a little less reliable than a Civic. The Hyundai Elantra and Kia Rio are pretty well regarded at this point too. I prefer the interior of the Rio personally but they're basically the same car.

You can also look at the Toyota iM and Honda Fit, which are a bit smaller.

Chicago Snow

She can't drive stick unfortunately, she has been scoping out Fit's and Civics.

Thanks!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Unload My Head posted:

Yes. Does the seller have any receipts? What is the history of the car?

Timing belt interval on that engine is around 100k, so if it's on it's second belt it will need one soon. It is possible (I've seen it) but not probable to have original headgaskets at 200k.

Well, he sold it to someone else but thanks for the good info. I'll make sure to find someone with a documented maintenance history.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aesirstorm posted:

Chicago Snow

Thanks!

any compact sedan or hatch will be just fine. I would take a look at the Korean twins.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Aesirstorm posted:

Chicago Snow

Thanks!

Chicago snow is very minimal and quickly cleared, there's no reason to worry about AWD or even having snow tires.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Does anyone have useful resources on how to determine whether or not financing a vehicle is a good idea versus buying straight cash? We're in Ontario, Canada btw.

I know the typical advice is always, always go with cash, but for example my partner and I are in a tricky situation. We just moved to a new city, and her new job requires access to a vehicle*. So, we can get by for a month or so while she settles into her job but eventually we'll need a vehicle.

Combined we have a little bit of cash, maybe $7-8k CAD, but really we'd prefer to use less of that cash as it's our only savings and we'd like to get a good head-start on putting money aside for our future.

Our combined income is around $105k per year. We can likely expect our wages to increase to around $125k within the next 5 years. We have no other debt (we rent our apartment, school debt is paid off).

It looks like with that cash we could maybe get a Toyota, a late 2000's/early 2010s Yaris, or Corolla with 100,000km on it.

Should we consider maybe getting financing on a slightly newer but still used car of the same model? Maybe instead pay something like $5k down on a $10-15k car, finance the rate for 300-400$ monthly payments? My thought here is to maybe jump on some of the warranty available with a newer car.

What other options do I have here? I've heard of folks taking bank loans or credit union loans instead of their dealerships, how does that work?

Here's my generic info from the OP:

Proposed Budget: $2-5k down with financing, $8k max for outright cash
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Don't care. All things being equal maybe a hatchback is nice sometimes for getting stuff at Ikea?

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership and maintenance, low MPG. Prefer imports because of perceived reliability.

Live in Ontario, Canada

*My understanding is that in Canada if the employer requires access to a vehicle, some of the costs of the car can be tax deducted but I've yet to figure out how this is determined beyond obvious situations like being a contractor, or salesmen who uses their car every single day.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

On the contrary, financing is almost always the “right” choice if you’re reasonably creditworthy. It’s trivial to get a sub 3% loan on a vehicle, and average stock returns are ~7%. Take the loan, invest your cash, and enjoy some beneficial interest rate arbitrage. Even in a taxable account you’ll come out ahead.

Of course, it doesn’t need to get that intense. Just get some decent financing and pay it off on time. 0-3% loans are great for building credit and cost you almost nothing. Keep the cash on hand in case you need it around.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Unless the canadian dollar has gone the way of Zimbabwe or you somehow make that sweet rear end money but have garbage credit, just finance whatever new car you want at a good apr and you'll come out ahead.

Nov 6, 2002

An auto loan is not a mortgage where you are going to be mostly paying interest for years and years. On a $15k, 60 month loan at 3% you'll pay around $1,200 in interest. Over the span of five years that is a pretty inconsequential amount of money for reliable transportation. If you really hate the idea of paying interest and you can handle the monthly payments - including insurance - maybe checkout new cars that have 0% deals available. If you do go used, make sure you check out a local credit union, as that will probably be the best source of good rate for used vehicles.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 13, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the interior is just Ford partsbin, it's not that bad

My impression from driving a Transit Connect is that it's somehow less than the sum of its parts. It was noisier than a Focus inside.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

*My understanding is that in Canada if the employer requires access to a vehicle, some of the costs of the car can be tax deducted but I've yet to figure out how this is determined beyond obvious situations like being a contractor, or salesmen who uses their car every single day.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...e-expenses.html

tl;dr version: If you are required to go places during the work day (or go lots of places instead of one office) AND you aren't reimbursed through your workplace you can claim stuff about using your car. The exact methods used are all at that link.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

An auto loan is not a mortgage where you are going to be mostly paying interest for years and years. On a $15k, 60 month loan at 3% you'll pay around $1,200 in interest. Over the span of five years that is a pretty inconsequential amount of money for reliable transportation. If you really hate the idea of paying interest and you can handle the monthly payments - including insurance - maybe checkout new cars that have 0% deals available. If you do go used, make sure you check out a local credit union, as that will probably be the best source of good rate for used vehicles.

In my experience a good dealer can meet or beat the credit union rate, but it's absolutely a good tool to have in your pocket.

And I'll nth the fact that a car loan is a good idea in many situations. It's a bad idea to take out a loan to buy something you can't really afford in the first place, and/or something that you can't realistically expect to get through the loan period without megabucks of maintenance and repairs. It'd also be a bad idea to take a 72 or 84 month zero down loan on a new car where you'll spend years upside down.

It's perfectly fine to take out a loan you can afford to buy a newer used car that won't likely need a $2k+ repair before you pay it off. If you stick with used cars and negotiate well, you could probably put a little cash down and never actually be upside-down on the loan.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure how common this is, but for the dealerships I went to on my last couple vehicles 0% financing would cancel out some other promotion that wound up being worth more than the total interest I'd pay to my credit union by a few hundred dollars. None of them could beat my credit union either (though they usually got within .5% so I guess it's not that big of deal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I was hoping to get to 300K miles on my 2004 Prius (currently 210K) but this morning I got the red brake warning light and a shrill alarm that effectively communicated "don't drive me". Apparently it could just be fluid but I think more likely than not this is something not worth paying for. We will see. But in the meantime I am considering my options if it comes to replacing it.

Proposed Budget: 20-25K
Body Style: Hatchback or sedan
How will you be using the car?: Mostly city commuting and errands, occasional road trip, occasionally on dirt roads (nothing the '04 Prius couldn't handle with some care)
What aspects are most important to you?

Mainly reliability (low maintenance and long-lasting). I really liked my Prius and will be sad to see it go. It wasn't really the efficiency that did it for me, but the unexpected spaciousness and cargo ability, the smooth driving, continuous transmission, thermostat air-controls (setting the desired temperature rather than the temperature of the air coming out). I'm not committed to a hybrid but am starting to look at used 2016 Priuses. If I don't go the Prius option what are some other options to consider? Is there anything else out there with continuous transmission?

edit: \/ lol thanks, sounds good

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 13, 2017