Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Vakal posted:

The gameplay isn't that great, but always I liked how it had only one weapon which was basically a swiss army gun that would change design slightly depending on which firing mode you selected with a satisfying little robot voice.

This was the worst part of Hard Reset. It's like some devs don't realize players don't want to stare at the same vague, ugly chunk of metal on their screen for 6 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It will, however, be one of the best parts of Scorn!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This was the worst part of Hard Reset. It's like some devs don't realize players don't want to stare at the same vague, ugly chunk of metal on their screen for 6 hours.

I thought the worst part of Hard Reset was the boring weapons and bad gameplay but hey, to each their own.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Glagha posted:

I thought the worst part of Hard Reset was the boring weapons and bad gameplay but hey, to each their own.

I was trying to be positive.... :v:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

CJacobs posted:

It will, however, be one of the best parts of Scorn!

I came across Scorn a few days ago and thought it looked neat, love the Giger style, but the gameplay videos out there aren't encouraging. It looks boooorrriiing and the level design (or is it procedural?) looks to be a bunch of random connected corridors on a flat plane.

Hope I'm wrong because visually and art-direction wise it looks great.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
For a while I thought Scorn and Inner Chains were the same game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Scorn looks like a horror/puzzle thing with a gun, rather than a shooter. It also looks like it’s coming out in 2050 so whatever.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
You can have lots of redundant guns with only two slots in a gun-heavy or military FPS, where a traditional arsenal would be a mess of assault rifles and shotguns. And it's also good for RPG-ish open world FPSs where ammo management becomes too much for consoles. Halo is neither, so it felt to me like a needless oversimplification, which was an emerging theme at the time. Actually it just felt cheap, like when in HL2 you get to an area where you'll need the rocket launcher so it puts infinite ammo crates around, only worse because HL2 doesn't take away your shotgun when you pick up a rl.

Mordja posted:

For a while I thought Scorn and Inner Chains were the same game.

There's also a third game that looks the same but is a walking sim in hell.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

loga mira posted:

There's also a third game that looks the same but is a walking sim in hell.

Agony? I think those are the three that I mix up.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

That's the one. The "we have UE and a 3d artist" path to success.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey does anyone still have a link to that 60fps goldeneye/pd emulator? I lost it and need to redl it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Agony is, I think, a first person walking sim/puzzler, Scorn is a first person shooter/puzzler, Inner Chains is out and just bad.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Aces High posted:

Incidentally which console FPS was the first to have a weapon wheel? Perfect Dark was the earliest I remember, it's not perfect but it was a big improvement over Goldeneye

Turok 2 had one. Actually, it had two, because it had too many goddamn weapons to fit on one weapon wheel.

(It had too many weapons to fit on two weapon wheels)

That was '98. Not sure if it's the first.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

loga mira posted:

You can have lots of redundant guns with only two slots in a gun-heavy or military FPS, where a traditional arsenal would be a mess of assault rifles and shotguns. And it's also good for RPG-ish open world FPSs where ammo management becomes too much for consoles. Halo is neither, so it felt to me like a needless oversimplification, which was an emerging theme at the time. Actually it just felt cheap, like when in HL2 you get to an area where you'll need the rocket launcher so it puts infinite ammo crates around, only worse because HL2 doesn't take away your shotgun when you pick up a rl.

That argument about consoles is pointless nowadays. They're built like PCs and in the case of PS4, the games can work with M+KB if the devs want to. It's just them not taking advantage of the tools. If ammo management is "hard" for a console is because the dev didn't design a good interface for it, nothing else.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No one wants to use a mouse and keyboard from their couch dude

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The Halo weaponlimit is really good because on Legendary Elites are super tanky so you need to abuse specific mechanics like plasma pistol + BR, backsmacks and stickies to deal with them but later on in the game plasma BR didn't really cut it for dealing with the sheer number/variety of enemies so I'd end up carrying the rocket launcher to deal with groups and strip shields on elites and then hip headshotting single elites at close range which felt really cool and badass. If you could carry all the weapons at once I'd just purely snipe with the sniper rifle, rocket groups and always have an easy to use midrange option plus always be able to 2 shot elites.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

The best thing about Halo for me was the grenade button, and going by that I'm assuming they wanted to make the combat more fluid with the player using all of their poo poo effortlessly, thus the gun limit for quick switching and no thinking of which gun to use. I'm sure they've explained all of these choices over the years in interviews and such, no Halo fans itt?

Guillermus posted:

That argument about consoles is pointless nowadays. They're built like PCs and in the case of PS4, the games can work with M+KB if the devs want to. It's just them not taking advantage of the tools. If ammo management is "hard" for a console is because the dev didn't design a good interface for it, nothing else.

Well, New Vegas was on consoles and it had ammo reloading/crafting on top of multiple ammo types, so it can be done, but even though I liked all that it still at times felt tiresome. I think Morrowind on Xbox and the new Deus Exes have proper grid inventory on consoles, no idea how it works. It's a generalization, what can and can't be done on consoles. Everything took a dive when FPSs and WRPGs games were moving to consoles, but then kind of straightened up. Like Invisible War had universal ammo, that still baffles me, but the new Deus Exes are decent.

DisDisDis posted:

The Halo weaponlimit is really good because on Legendary Elites are super tanky so you need to abuse specific mechanics like plasma pistol + BR, backsmacks and stickies to deal with them but later on in the game plasma BR didn't really cut it for dealing with the sheer number/variety of enemies so I'd end up carrying the rocket launcher to deal with groups and strip shields on elites and then hip headshotting single elites at close range which felt really cool and badass. If you could carry all the weapons at once I'd just purely snipe with the sniper rifle, rocket groups and always have an easy to use midrange option plus always be able to 2 shot elites.

There are less intrusive ways of controlling which guns the player uses, like limiting ammo availability. Of course then players start hoarding ammo. I guess in that Halo was a more old school game than HL2 for example, if it didn't always give you the exact right gun/ammo for it before a fight.

loga mira fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 7, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

loga mira posted:

The best thing about Halo for me was the grenade button, and going by that I'm assuming they wanted to make the combat more fluid with the player using all of their poo poo effortlessly, thus the gun limit for quick switching and no thinking of which gun to use. I'm sure they've explained all of these choices over the years in interviews and such, no Halo fans itt?
I imagine that is exactly what they were going for, yeah - though I wouldn't say I'm big enough of a Halo fan to have paid attention to interviews confirming as much (reminder that I only finished the first Halo for the first time about a month ago, despite playing it the day the original Xbox came out)...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

skasion posted:

Didn’t Republic Commando do that too?

Yes, it did. You technically had 3 guns in Republic commando, an self-recharging infinite ammo pistol, your rifle and a slot for alien weapons (these are almost universally fantastic, including the beam cannon that can't reload because it can't suck your blood through the armor you're wearing). But your rifle eventually gets attachments to turn it into a sniper rifle and grenade launcher.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I would be down for a Judge Dredd VR shooter where you had to talk to your lawgiver pistol to get it to change ammo types.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CJacobs posted:

Wolfenstein TNO/TOB/TNC/BLT/ABC/As Easy As 1-2-3 also has a terrible health system in that you can scoop up armor and health stuff in little chunks all over the game world... but not automatically, you have to press E on it, so after every fight you have to run around mashing E as you look at things just so you can hoover up all their goodies and it really sucks. The New Colossus kinda sorta did away with that by making it so that BJ automatically picks things up if you walk over them and aren't looking at them (?????) but only stuff that's directly on the floor.

The new wolf games have a cool plot, music and aesthetic but I think they have some really major gameplay problems that I hope they overcome in the third game. They seem like they want to be a return to bombastic kick-rear end shooters of the 90s, but are saddled by way too many modern design principles that hold them back (movement's too slow, there are too many hitscan enemies, BJ is way too brittle, having to pick up armor and health like you say is a pain, the arsenal is bit dull...) especially in light of Doom 2016. They end up kind of feeling like a game that was made a few years after Half life 2 if anything, except the 2009 Wolfenstein game is that but better (gameplay wise) imo.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 8, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

Hey does anyone still have a link to that 60fps goldeneye/pd emulator? I lost it and need to redl it
Here's the latest version.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

loga mira posted:

I think Morrowind on Xbox and the new Deus Exes have proper grid inventory on consoles, no idea how it works.

Uh, exactly how you'd think it'd work. It's an inventory screen in which you can not only go up and down, but also... left and right :aaa:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vakal posted:

I would be down for a Judge Dredd VR shooter where you had to talk to your lawgiver pistol to get it to change ammo types.

gently caress that was cool in the Karl Urban movie tho

When he surreptitiously sets it to "hotshot" mid-conversation and burns that guy's head off :discourse:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ty

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
I'll just leave this here:
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/939003594086400000

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I want Turok 3 on PC! :cry: The only thing that game needed to be better was more enemies on screen. The N64 hardware probably didn't help.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I want Turok 3 on PC! :cry: The only thing that game needed to be better was more enemies on screen. The N64 hardware probably didn't help.

Rage Wars would be nice too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

I feel they'd work best bundled together. You'd never be able to get a sufficient player base selling an obscure 90s multiplayer-only FPS ported from the Nintendo 64, but if it was packaged with a strong single player component there might be enough players to make it viable. At least at launch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've probably mentioned it a billion times in this thread but any Turok 3 remaster needs to implement the scrapped campaign co-op.

As for Rage Wars, I imagine it's probably redundant in the face of the new multiplayer modes that are present in the other games, but it couldn't hurt to bring it back. I suppose.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Who owns Turok 3 anyway?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

MariusLecter posted:

Hell yeah, I got Turok fever and I need more.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I think I already said it but, yeah, I was a little surprised by how much I enjoyed Turok 2 after last playing it on PC almost two decades ago. I expected it to be burdened with a lot more problems that 12-year-old-me was willing to overlook.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Who owns Turok 3 anyway?
Probably the same folks that own the rest of the series.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vakal posted:

One of my guilty pleasure FPS games from the PSX era is Codename: Tenka.

The gameplay isn't that great, but always I liked how it had only one weapon which was basically a swiss army gun that would change design slightly depending on which firing mode you selected with a satisfying little robot voice.

Hell yeah, I rented that back in the day. And I'll use this as an excuse to post that awesome ad for Project Horned Owl, the epitome of coolness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SMGJf84Ltw

Vakal posted:

Dredd vs Death was a pretty fun game. Dredd is best! John Wagner is the best writer ever.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Vakal posted:

This was one of the first PS1 games I ever owned, actually, and I never got used to the control scheme. I was already too used to playing Duke 3D and Quake on my desktop, I guess.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Heavy Metal posted:

Hell yeah, I rented that back in the day. And I'll use this as an excuse to post that awesome ad for Project Horned Owl, the epitome of coolness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SMGJf84Ltw

drat, you guys keep getting me. I remember that game getting slammed in review but I was thinking "It's almost like a Patlabor game!"

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

Probably the same folks that own the rest of the series.

That's good to know. At least there is a hope for a T3 port.

Vakal posted:

This, Disruptor, Resident Evil Survivor, Delta Force (pretty terrible among PS1 shooters), Medal of Honour (both games were really fun), Alien Trilogy and Duke Total Meltdown. The PS1 Rainbow Six games were also the first of the games I played in the series.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

gently caress that was cool in the Karl Urban movie tho

When he surreptitiously sets it to "hotshot" mid-conversation and burns that guy's head off :discourse:

Dredd 2012 is loving awesome and I hope the rumours of netflix doing a series with Karl Urban are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Guillermus posted:

Dredd 2012 is loving awesome and I hope the rumours of netflix doing a series with Karl Urban are right.

Yeah, they nailed both Dredd as a character and the overall aesthetic really well. I can't quite work out how Rebellion haven't managed to make an actual good Dredd game.