Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
This L5R stuff is really exciting, but if FFG messes up the logistics "SIX PACKS SIX WEEKS" is going to be an insult meme for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fetterkey posted:

This L5R stuff is really exciting, but if FFG messes up the logistics "SIX PACKS SIX WEEKS" is going to be an insult meme for a long time.

I don't know we've already got 'On the boat'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thirsty Dog posted:

Maybe I've just been spoiled by FFG but the art and the layout of those cards puts me off completely.

Art-wise there are probably better choices, but Iron Kingdom are on a tight budget so yeah, you've been spoilt. And the layout is legacy from the original CCG which goes back to 1996. It is a very good multiplayer game, though - I did an LP a couple of years ago if you have Archives.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't know what you guys are talking ab

out

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

out

If this card is labeled "High Marks" I'll give it a pass.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Art-wise there are probably better choices, but Iron Kingdom are on a tight budget so yeah, you've been spoilt. And the layout is legacy from the original CCG which goes back to 1996. It is a very good multiplayer game, though - I did an LP a couple of years ago if you have Archives.

Everyone who knows Shadowfist raves about its multiplayer play. I've never heard anything negative about it, so it must be fun!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

out

That's a piece of art from 1996, in the days when Doug Shuler could get work on CCGs. I really don't know what they're thinking with the choice of art to show off - most of it is mediocre, to be frank, but this is stuff that doesn't look great on a card and worse when it's blown up. They could be using stuff like this:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The card layout honestly bothers me more. Art is one thing, readability in-game is another

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

The card layout honestly bothers me more. Art is one thing, readability in-game is another

What are you having the problem with? Just the font size on the cards?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Every aspect of the typography and design is terrible and it just looks amateurish. The left and right borders are arbitrarily different sizes which makes the art frame off center from the text box right below (which has an ugly gold/black gradient border for some reason?). The bad font is fuzzy and the kerning and layout makes everything harder to read. The white text on the border of the card should have a black outline to make it much easier to read. The formatting of language is hard to grasp as well. I've played tons of card games and this part is just awful:

"Unique. Turn :: Turn *rest of card text*"

Unique should be an icon, or at the very least not starting a line of text that includes the card ability. The Turn :: Turn thing is just bad formatting for a card game language.

And that's ignoring all of the funny art.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bottom Liner posted:

Every aspect of the typography and design is terrible and it just looks amateurish. The left and right borders are arbitrarily different sizes which makes the art frame off center from the text box right below (which has an ugly gold/black gradient border for some reason?). The bad font is fuzzy and the kerning and layout makes everything harder to read. The white text on the border of the card should have a black outline to make it much easier to read. The formatting of language is hard to grasp as well. I've played tons of card games and this part is just awful:

"Unique. Turn :: Turn *rest of card text*"

Unique should be an icon, or at the very least not starting a line of text that includes the card ability. The Turn :: Turn thing is just bad formatting for a card game language.

And that's ignoring all of the funny art.

Haha, that looks 90s as gently caress. Has their graphic designer been in a coma 25 years?

Besides the things you mention:
  • Borderless, bold, sans-serif white text on the title - readable at this resolution but definitely going to be hard to read at any greater distance.
  • Cost(?) not bold on the right, which clashes awkwardly with the title.
  • Traits in font identical to the title but black instead of white - a weird contrast.
  • Three different font sizes in the text box is a bit much.
  • You mentioned on the "Turn :: Turn" thing, but I just want to point out that that's definitely not how colons work; basic grammar should be the lowest bar for a card game to jump over.
  • Even at this resolution the artist credit is hard to read.
  • If "formidable," "ice," and "healer" are traits of some kind, why isn't "unique" also a trait that is formatted the same way?
  • You mentioned, but I want to reiterate: If "unique" really needs to be separate from the traits, it also definitely needs to be separate from the other ability - as written, it makes it look like the Turn ability is what's "unique," rather than the card itself. Put a line break in there.
  • The symbols at the bottom don't seem particularly easy to parse at a distance, but that might not matter too much depending on what they mean.
  • Text box is too small - how are you ever going to fit complicated, interesting abilities in there? It hardly seems possible to have a card do two different things in this game.

There's no such thing as a perfect graphic design, and even cards I'd consider well-designed have one or two odd choices I could also criticize. But this is a bit much. It's so ugly.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

It's the exact same design as the original game, which came out like a year or two after Magic. It's 90s as gently caress because it's literally from 1995. Compare it to early MtG and you'll see its actually cleaner and easier to parse.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

it's almost like graphic design has advanced in 20 years

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

although this is probably my favorite bad card templating, pax porfiriana

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Rurales Cuerpos Exploradores :psyduck: Someone doesn't understand Spanish adjective order

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

The Turn :: Turn thing is just bad formatting for a card game language.

I think you're just looking to pick nits with that example, it should be perfectly clear. You turn The Doctor to use its ability; the ability turns all damaged characters and heals them. The double-colon is the chosen convention to separate costs from effects and has nothing to do with grammar at all.

Addressing a few things someone else brought up:

quote:

• Borderless, bold, sans-serif white text on the title - readable at this resolution but definitely going to be hard to read at any greater distance.
  • If "formidable," "ice," and "healer" are traits of some kind, why isn't "unique" also a trait that is formatted the same way?
  • You mentioned, but I want to reiterate: If "unique" really needs to be separate from the traits, it also definitely needs to be separate from the other ability - as written, it makes it look like the Turn ability is what's "unique," rather than the card itself. Put a line break in there.
  • The symbols at the bottom don't seem particularly easy to parse at a distance, but that might not matter too much depending on what they mean.
  • Text box is too small - how are you ever going to fit complicated, interesting abilities in there? It hardly seems possible to have a card do two different things in this game.

Card titles can easily be read at arm's length, and I don't have short arms.

I agree that Unique would be better as a trait from a layout point of view, but there's a gameplay reason why it isn't. There's a lot of cards that affect cards with a specific trait name. So you can play a card that hits all the Formidable characters in play, all the Ice characters and so on. If Unique was a trait, you could use those cards on all the Unique characters in play - which is at least a third of the characters in the game. Those cards would either be disproportionately powerful or would have to be costed into uselessness, thus destroying the whole point of the trait system.

Unique is placed where it is because for the reason given above, it's a keyword. For consistency all keywords are put in bold below the traits. A line break would be useful, I agree, but then you're also criticising the size of the text box. Pick one.

The symbols at the bottom don't matter much. The ones on the left are the resources and Power used to play the card. The ones on the right are the resources it generates. So The Doctor requires 1 Monarchs influence to play and costs 2 Power, and it generates 1 Monarchs influence and 1 Magic.

You can fit two non-keyword abilities on a character at a push, and there's enough room for four lines of rules text so complex abilities are possible. The text box is smaller on characters than on other cards, though, as characters are in the main meant to be disposable.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 15, 2017

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jedit posted:

I think you're just looking to pick nits with that example, it should be perfectly clear. You turn The Doctor to use its ability; the ability turns all damaged characters and heals them. The double-colon is the chosen convention to separate costs from effects and has nothing to do with grammar at all.

The problem with space-colon-colon-space as opposed to simply colon-space is that the former is unfamiliar whereas the latter is standard English, and unfamiliar things are harder to parse. And the problem with the two "Turn"s is that before the colons, "Turn" is used as shorthand for "turn this card" and after the colons it means just the ordinary transitive verb "turn" with a direct object after it. Yes, you can figure out from context what they mean,. but using a word to mean two different things one right after the other is unnecessarily cognitively taxing.

I mean, they could have just written "Turn this card: Turn. . ." or "Turn The Doctor: Turn. . ." and been super easy to read.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

StashAugustine posted:

although this is probably my favorite bad card templating, pax porfiriana

I was just playing this the other night with someone who hadn't really played before. The cards are packed full of flavor but it's impossible for new players to tell what the hell they're looking at. A lot of flavor and history in the game though, it's really quite good.

Shadowfist is ugly as hell but at least it's fairly clean. Seeing the cards on the table it's not too difficult to read the stats from a distance, but the templating could definitely due with an update. I'm sure a few of us in this thread with some photoshop skills could make a sleeker template in an hour. It's probably just one of those things that the game isn't popular enough to warrant and since it's been around there's not necessarily enough money in a kickstarter to fund a whole revised edition.

DontMockMySmock posted:

The problem with space-colon-colon-space as opposed to simply colon-space is that the former is unfamiliar whereas the latter is standard English, and unfamiliar things are harder to parse. And the problem with the two "Turn"s is that before the colons, "Turn" is used as shorthand for "turn this card" and after the colons it means just the ordinary transitive verb "turn" with a direct object after it. Yes, you can figure out from context what they mean,. but using a word to mean two different things one right after the other is unnecessarily cognitively taxing.

I mean, they could have just written "Turn this card: Turn. . ." or "Turn The Doctor: Turn. . ." and been super easy to read.

Iconography is good...

...unless we're talking about the L5R CCG bow icon.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Sega 32X posted:

It's the exact same design as the original game, which came out like a year or two after Magic. It's 90s as gently caress because it's literally from 1995. Compare it to early MtG and you'll see its actually cleaner and easier to parse.

Bullshit, OG Magic border design was the best. Way better than those generic, boring borders they use now.

My favorite alters ever are when they make old bordered versions of new cards, like Planeswalkers with the dumb old templating

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Bullshit, OG Magic border design was the best. Way better than those generic, boring borders they use now.

My favorite alters ever are when they make old bordered versions of new cards, like Planeswalkers with the dumb old templating

One of my favorite things that they did with the Space cube was import the Timeshifted layout from M:tG.

<<< MtG x Space >>>

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

It means the same thing, except one is a cost and the other is an effect. An Edge that said "Whenever a character is turned, deal 1 damage to it" would deal 1 damage to the Doctor and 1 damage to every damaged character that wasn't already turned when it resolves.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Jedit posted:

It means the same thing

No, it doesn't. I just explained. What happened in my mind when I read it the first time was that I assumed that the first "Turn" meant "turn this thing" (since, after all, "turn" is a transitive verb and there was no other obvious object besides "this thing"), and then, having developed this translation, my brain parsed the effect as "turn this thing, all characters in play, and then heal them" which you'll notice doesn't make any sense. It only took a moment for my brain to realize what it really said, but it's like a little stumble in your brain, the mental equivalent of thinking there's one extra stair in the staircase, and trying to step on air.

I'm not trying to claim here that it's unreadable or even that it's difficult to tell what the card does when you think about it for a second, just that it's badly in need of a good pass-over by a decent editor to make it read smoothly.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 15, 2017

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Sega 32X posted:

This has been said a couple of times now and it doesn't make any sense as a defence. A remade computer game where the original came from 1995 would absolutely be expected to follow modern norms on usability, or face criticism for ignoring all the advances in the industry since then.

Those cards are horrible for in-game readability, and don't even have the excuse of having great art to make up for it.

I guess it's the exact same gameplay as from 1995 too?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The game had a Kickstarter rerelease back in 2012 I think it was. They should have updated the look of the cards then.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I suspect that game caters to a very niche audience that would turn on them if they changed the design.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

I guess it's the exact same gameplay as from 1995 too?

Yes, but that really isn't a problem because whatever its other faults Shadowfist absolutely nailed the gameplay.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

Addressing a few things someone else brought up:

Card titles can easily be read at arm's length, and I don't have short arms.

I agree that Unique would be better as a trait from a layout point of view, but there's a gameplay reason why it isn't. There's a lot of cards that affect cards with a specific trait name. So you can play a card that hits all the Formidable characters in play, all the Ice characters and so on. If Unique was a trait, you could use those cards on all the Unique characters in play - which is at least a third of the characters in the game. Those cards would either be disproportionately powerful or would have to be costed into uselessness, thus destroying the whole point of the trait system.

Unique is placed where it is because for the reason given above, it's a keyword. For consistency all keywords are put in bold below the traits. A line break would be useful, I agree, but then you're also criticising the size of the text box. Pick one.

The symbols at the bottom don't matter much. The ones on the left are the resources and Power used to play the card. The ones on the right are the resources it generates. So The Doctor requires 1 Monarchs influence to play and costs 2 Power, and it generates 1 Monarchs influence and 1 Magic.

You can fit two non-keyword abilities on a character at a push, and there's enough room for four lines of rules text so complex abilities are possible. The text box is smaller on characters than on other cards, though, as characters are in the main meant to be disposable.

Nah dog, the cards look like poo poo no matter how you approach it and the game being from 1995 doesn’t excuse it.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I think it's personally kind of charming, and I think a lot of modern CCG aesthetic design is bland and boring.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The only thing I'd really change myself is putting some graphics or lines around the card name, cost, resource generation, and body values so they stood out a bit more. The templating isn't that terrible in my opinion.

The Feng Shui sites look much better because the important stats have been give a large space and easily stand out, although graphically it still looks very flat.

Also nobody go to their website, it's even uglier than the cards.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

No real thoughts on the card design, but I played a few multiplayer games of shadowfist with a group in Austin and it’s a ton of fun with four people. Probably the best multiplayer-focused L/CCG I’ve played.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Is there an L5R LCG thread or is it just the big L5R thread? I don't care at all about the RPG but want to read about the LCG every single day.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

alg posted:

Is there an L5R LCG thread or is it just the big L5R thread? I don't care at all about the RPG but want to read about the LCG every single day.

I think most of the chat has migrated there, yeah.

I feel the same.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Pretty big errata for LOTR LCG. I'm getting ready for a fellowship event in a month, and it nerfs some of the ideas I was thinking about (Caldara was a big one). Anyone play the event at gencon? Any advice for decks needed?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

My two favorite fighty decks are dead. RIP Boromir Does Everything 2-hero secrecy/valor and/or 3-hero Aragorn threat reset. RIP Háma - they cite Thicket of Spears as the problem, but I just want to play Foehammer over and over and then play a million things with Mablung money.

Caldara is probably still good enough, maybe?

On the plus side, slight buff to Keen as Lances/Rossiel (what my group calls "the pokéball deck").

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Fritzler posted:

Pretty big errata for LOTR LCG. I'm getting ready for a fellowship event in a month, and it nerfs some of the ideas I was thinking about (Caldara was a big one). Anyone play the event at gencon? Any advice for decks needed?

How does a competitive cooperative card game tournament work?

Edit: This reminded me that I still have my Arkham Horror game and can't part with it. It's so good, just requires some dedication from other players for a "campaign", both from a deckbuilding and purchasing standpoint.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah I took one look at that errata and just thought "nah"

My Eowyn/Boromir Secrecy/Valour do everything deck is too beautiful to just let go poof. Errata be damned.

DontMockMySmock posted:

RIP Boromir Does Everything 2-hero secrecy/valor

:whatup:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

How does a competitive cooperative card game tournament work?

Edit: This reminded me that I still have my Arkham Horror game and can't part with it. It's so good, just requires some dedication from other players for a "campaign", both from a deckbuilding and purchasing standpoint.
It’s not a tournament, but up to 12 players can play the fellowship event at once. So everyone just plays together at the same time. It’s a very difficult quest (at least it was last year), and we attempt it a few times.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Lord of the Rings LCG is getting turned into an app.

Coming out on Steam but from the looks of the interface I gotta think iOS is targeted as well.

Steam page is up here.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 9, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome. Can’t wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

It interesting because they've changed a lot. Defence is gone, 3 resources per turn, spheres now require a certain number of matching heroes.