Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
The charitable reason is that they changed how they handle payments in an extremely dumb way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why would they need more vc cash.

(jk i know it's to buy a new ferrari)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Nobody knows if Snapchat shows are actually successful

quote:

So far, NBCUniversal's bet seems to be paying off, with the network claiming that the show has garnered more than 29 million viewers since its debut. That number, however, needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Snapchat does not disclose valuable metrics like user watch time and series retention stats, so it's hard to know what exactly qualifies as a "viewer." The company also doesn't disclose monthly active users, which is considered a key metric in determining user growth.

Not surprisingly, Snapchat isn't the only one trying to make social TV a hit. Facebook introduced its own video platform, Watch, in August, where it streams anything from original shows created by independent artists to Major League Baseball games. Per video analytics firm Delmondo, though, Facebook Watch videos are only being viewed an average of 23 seconds at time -- so the company needs to figure out a way to keep people's attention longer than that.

:iiam:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Doggles posted:

Facebook Watch videos are only being viewed an average of 23 seconds at time -- so the company needs to figure out a way to keep people's attention longer than that.

That is bad if they are streaming movies or something but the front page looks like it's mostly just short clips and like 1-3 minute 'shows" and stuff, like the apparent top right now is some lady singing a song. Facebook watch seems like it's nothing and will fail because there is no push behind it and it's not really doing anything particular but nothing is inherently more marketable about a video service that shows 30 second clips compared to ones that show 30 minute clips.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nothing to seehere posted:

Like, why? Patreon is actually a decent thing to come out of the SV bubble: it's way to pay content creators for what they make independently of where they make it and has allowed a bunch of stuff to be funded that wouldn't be.

Someone decided that taking on another run of funding (despite already being super profitable) was a good call and now everyone is suffering the consequences.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Also isnt a big reason people are hating the new patreon fees is that the new fees are charged per donation instead of being based on the total? So if you sending a small amount of money to multiple patreons you get hit with the fees multiple times instead of having the fee be based on the amount your giving in total.

Edit: also what does patreon need all that extra VC money for? Theyre profitable and i cant really see anywhere they reasonably 'expand' into it short of a kickstarter clone, which they probably couldve done without extra investors.

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 8, 2017

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Communist Zombie posted:

Also isnt a big reason people are hating the new patreon fees is that the new fees are charged per donation instead of being based on the total? So if you sending a small amount of money to multiple patreons you get hit with the fees multiple times instead of having the fee be based on the amount your giving in total.

Edit: also what does patreon need all that extra VC money for? Theyre profitable and i cant really see anywhere they reasonably 'expand' into it short of a kickstarter clone, which they probably couldve done without extra investors.

I mean it seems to me like they are just telling people to undercut them, and if some non profit were to come into existence that did this, they wouldn't be able to compete and would likely fall to obscurity.

I mean suppose PBS did something like this, unless someone stopped them from investing in it, they could corner the market and since any for profit business would have to climb uphill both ways to drive them out, it could cut investors off from that money for a long time.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 8, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They just got an infusion of sixty big ones by new humanoids who presumably want new revenue?

yep. someone worked out the numbers, Patreon Jack Pomplamoose said "THAT TOTALLY ISN'T THE REASONING BEHIND IT" and conspicuously failed to contradict the ah numbers.

I'm fine, my serious patrons start at $5. but dammit, the point of $1 patrons is to develop them into $5 patrons. you imbeciles. you blithering idiots.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Apparently if you give multiple donations they bundle them into one charge but you still pay a fee per donation :thumbsup:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

skull mask mcgee posted:

Apparently if you give multiple donations they bundle them into one charge but you still pay a fee per donation :thumbsup:
Maybe they could implement a system where you assign a total amount to donate and then each dollar you pledge is actually just a raffle ticket for your entire pot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are there any currently viable immediate replacements for Patreon who do things the old way? I imagine people will start changing fast if so.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Inescapable Duck posted:

Are there any currently viable immediate replacements for Patreon who do things the old way? I imagine people will start changing fast if so.
Flattr, maybe

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Every full-time employee of Patreon lives in an expensive city anf has a total compensation of at least $75k-$150k, and possibly $200k-$300k. They have no idea why customers would care about fee increases of 0-100 cents, and they all assumed subscribers would just pay the difference.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Patreon was chugging along making a tidy profit, or a tiddy profit if you want to talk about their biggest income sources. Why ruin a good thing for quick profits?

Ynglaur posted:

Disrupting the space-time continuum

Not as bad as it used to though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Communist Zombie posted:

Gotta drive that valuation up so that the funders can become rich. If I know startups then the top-brass probably already started skimming off the top of those VC millions in order to line their own pockets.

Communist Zombie posted:

Patreon was chugging along making a tidy profit, or a tiddy profit if you want to talk about their biggest income sources. Why ruin a good thing for quick profits?

It's either greed or stupidity. They had an unprecedented opportunity to morph into a Google-esque monopoly here and they just burned it overnight.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kickstarter is working on d.rip, but you currently have to be a creator to get in the closed beta.

Liberapay is cool to but it's barebones and doesn't support hidden posts or videos IIRC.

I think we'll probably see someone make a less capitalistic version of Patreon within a year.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

super sweet best pal posted:

Not as bad as it used to though.

Tidy sustainable profits into the foreseeable future are not how it works anymore, man. It's about pumping that valuation as high as possible and then cashing out for life with your buddies. The place can burn down in a day after that, who gives a gently caress as long as you converted your hundred million out into liquidity.

The tech ecosystem is a travesty and it would be great if KJU nuked San Francisco during TED or something.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Patreon was literally planning to divest itself of its entire long tail in June, they only just sprung this on everyone. "We'd rather have our GMV be made up of fewer, but truly life-changed creators rather than a lot of creators making a few dollars." Like, do you know how the gently caress building an audience works, you cock.

The founder of Patreon is the guy from Pomplamoose who lost $100k on a crowdfunded tour. That is, an indie band who somehow had $100k to lose. I think we've spotted our genius.

edit:

https://twitter.com/CHAPOTRAPHOUSE/status/938872316087427077

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/939296097826168832

improvements

divabot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 9, 2017

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
People in the YOSPOS tech bubble thread are speculating that Patreon raised their fees because their payment processor decided that it would no longer permit them to aggregate many payments together. Their narrative is that now Patreon has to pay fees on every little micro-transaction, and this threw a wrench into their old pricing model.

It still would be obviously Patreon's fault and a huge oversight on their part for not planning for this or not carefully reading their contract with their payment processor, or being better at negotiating for lower fees for themselves, but IMO this is a more likely explanation than this thread's current narrative which is 'evil startup company management team collectively twirls their mustaches and raises prices out of greed'.

Usually this thread whines about start-up companies for not making any money and for pricing things below cost, but now we have all done a 180 and lambast this start-up for raising price.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 9, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

super sweet best pal posted:

this is my thought there was literally no reason to go for more funding but these people are greedy dipshits.

the first sign was changing their great logo into something loving stupid that probably cost them six figs to some poo poo design firm.

silence_kit posted:

Usually this thread whines about start-up companies for not making any money and for pricing things below cost, but now we have all done a 180 and lambast this start-up for raising price.

lol

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 9, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

silence_kit posted:

People in the YOSPOS tech bubble thread are speculating that Patreon raised their fees because their payment processor decided that it would no longer permit them to aggregate many payments together. Their narrative is that now Patreon has to pay fees on every little micro-transaction, and this threw a wrench into their old pricing model.

It is still would be obviously Patreon's fault and a huge oversight on their part for not planning for this or not carefully reading their contract with their payment processor, or being better at negotiating for lower fees for themselves, but IMO this is a more likely explanation than this thread's current narrative which is 'evil startup company management team collectively twirls their mustaches and raises prices out of greed'.

Does it really make a difference whether it is incompetence or malice?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

It's easier to laugh at them when they're just incompetent

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There is no way a payment processor wouldn't have forced them into these changes earlier if they were actually needed, instead of letting Patreon get as big as it is first. Credit processors have all the leverage on sites that are just starting out or are simply small time.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

silence_kit posted:

It is still would be obviously Patreon's fault and a huge oversight on their part for not planning for this or not carefully reading their contract with their payment processor, or being better at negotiating for lower fees for themselves, but IMO this is a more likely explanation than this thread's current narrative which is 'evil startup company management team collectively twirls their mustaches and raises prices out of greed'.

Then why didnt they just say so? If patreon had come out and said that while would have been some grumbling there wouldnt be the sense of betrayal and the mass leavings due to it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MiddleOne posted:

Most people who don't post in this thread would agree that it is a huge difference. If this idea is really foreign to you, I'd suggest looking at most countries' legal systems, where crimes of incompetence are treated very differently from crimes of malice.

fishmech posted:

There is no way a payment processor wouldn't have forced them into these changes earlier if they were actually needed, instead of letting Patreon get as big as it is first. Credit processors have all the leverage on sites that are just starting out or are simply small time.

I have no idea how these businesses work, so I have no idea how to evaluate the truth of this statement, but this does make sense to me. What is the likelihood though that they were doing it & violating their agreement, and then got caught later?

Communist Zombie posted:

Then why didnt they just say so? If patreon had come out and said that while would have been some grumbling there wouldnt be the sense of betrayal and the mass leavings due to it.
Being in the business of collecting very small amounts of money from a tonne of different people, Patreon is pretty heavily reliant on being on good terms with their payment processors and on negotiating low fees per transaction. I'm just parroting what people posted in the YOSPOS thread, but maybe Patreon didn't want to throw their payment processor under the bus, since it would not really be conducive to a productive business relationship.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 9, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

probably nobody would care if they hadn't just closed a round of vc funding which was wholly unnecessary.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

silence_kit posted:

See the extensive pile of quotes from June this year that I linked. They actually think they can keep just the whales if they actively drive away the entire rest of their userbase.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

divabot posted:

See the extensive pile of quotes from June this year that I linked. They actually think they can keep just the whales if they actively drive away the entire rest of their userbase.

This seems to sum up what happens to a lot of online services. And video games when they descend into freemium hell.

What's to stop even the whales from signing up to an alternative service and advertising that instead?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

silence_kit posted:

I have no idea how these businesses work, so I have no idea how to evaluate the truth of this statement, but this does make sense to me. What is the likelihood though that they were doing it & violating their agreement, and then got caught later?

It isn't plausible that their payment processor(s) wouldn't have known what they were doing is the thing. The service has been going for 4 years now, and there's been individual campaigns pulling in over half a million bucks for themselves (across a whole year of pledges at the rate at least) alone since the beginning of last year.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

silence_kit posted:

Most people who don't post in this thread would agree that it is a huge difference. If this idea is really foreign to you, I'd suggest looking at most countries' legal systems, where crimes of incompetence are treated very differently from crimes of malice.

I'm sorry to inform you that customer relations is not enforced in law, your honour.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is it really incompetence to have a round of unnecessary vc funding that's detrimental to the long term future of your platform?

and can someone in the know explain how snapchat doesn't turn a profit. they have ads after every snapchat story now. do they pay all those companies to put stories and videos on the story page?? wtf.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 9, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I couldn’t imagine Patreon NOT contemplating ads at some point in the near future. If they have big names, they could conceivably sell ad space on pages and interstitial ads on video or audio content. :shrug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Neon Noodle posted:

I couldn’t imagine Patreon NOT contemplating ads at some point in the near future. If they have big names, they could conceivably sell ad space on pages and interstitial ads on video or audio content. :shrug:

But they are a subscription service

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

divabot posted:

What quotes? You linked a long meandering article about Patreon from which there was one throwaway quote from a Patreon guy saying that ideally he'd prefer a few people donating a lot over many people donating a little. That's not surprising at all, given that there is a fixed cost to Patreon for any transaction. This is why a lot of small stores and restaurants require minimum purchase amounts for credit cards.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Arglebargle III posted:

But they are a subscription service

So is Hulu

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This sucks

when is the revolution

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

silence_kit posted:

It still would be obviously Patreon's fault and a huge oversight on their part for not planning for this or not carefully reading their contract with their payment processor, or being better at negotiating for lower fees for themselves, but IMO this is a more likely explanation than this thread's current narrative which is 'evil startup company management team collectively twirls their mustaches and raises prices out of greed'.

Why would they share that information with paypal? Why should they know or care whether I have 20 $1 pledges or 1 $20 pledge?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

silence_kit posted:

I have no idea

Yeah, we know. :wave:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neon Noodle posted:

How is this meant to work when much to all of a given project's content is provided not on Patreon itself at all?

EG a ton of Youtube people only post their stuff on Youtube still, though they take suggestions from confirmed patrons for topics to go over/things to do. Those fetish game people run their own forums and just tie into Patreon checks to determine what tiers of the forums are accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
How in the world did patreon not think charging a monthly amalgamation would be the right way to proceed.