Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pants Donkey posted:

I really hate this worn-out implication that working a regular job is somehow getting off easy or doing less. Not to downplay the demands of full-time parenting or anything, but jobs still tend to suck and you don't even get to be with your new kid.

As opposed to the beat-to-death implication that stay-at-home mom's just sit around eating bon-bons all day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

there wolf posted:

As opposed to the beat-to-death implication that stay-at-home mom's just sit around eating bon-bons all day?

Yeah they're both lovely ways of looking at people. Work is work. It doesn't matter if you're getting paid for it, it's all mind numbing bullshit and you'd rather be doing something else.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

there wolf posted:

I haven't seen this at all in recent years. Like, I'm sure it was a thing at one point, but as far as I've seen in comics/comedy it's the husband complaining about his day at work only to get death stared by his wife who looks like she's caring for a bear instead of a kid.

As I said, caring for a baby is work and it's also important. But, unless you got into a dream job early in life, a job is also still work and presumably you're not an rear end in a top hat and also pulling your weight with the kid when you're home.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Samovar posted:

At the risk of sounding like a pedant supreme, I really wish pederast was used instead of paedophile; I mean a bibliophile doesn't want to gently caress books, and an oenophile doesn't want to gently caress wine.

Speak for yourself.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What about gynephiles?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
In related news:
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/938968152062513153

Trump's still in office, dude.

Yep, it's just like you said a year ago...

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Kegluneq posted:

On a related note: Are babies weaned super early in Scandinavia? They all look pretty young but produce brown poos and dark vomit, which they shouldn't be doing on just milk.

swedish-americans try to get the kid on canned salmon within the first week or two, if my mom's side of the family is any indication

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

You have to understand, unlike Trump, who is a bad skunk in the White House and can't we all just get along, the Clintons are evil incarnate and someone should really Do Something about them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

I really hate this worn-out implication that working a regular job is somehow getting off easy or doing less. Not to downplay the demands of full-time parenting or anything, but jobs still tend to suck and you don't even get to be with your new kid.

her wife's job seems to mainly consists of eating candy, watching Stranger Things and working on her novel though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Stantis portrayal of Hillary reeks of "Strong assertive woman means evil and manipulative and batty" so he may not like Trump but he also has deep seeded sexism to thank along with just going along with pretty much whatever his party is calling the enemy that week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If Obama frquently said,"Merry Christmas" then how come I keep insisting he didn't? :smugbert:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pants Donkey posted:

It's probably because of the worn out comic strip tradition of regular jobs involving sitting at a desk working on the Fitzsimmons Account in between talking about football at the water cooler and having a beer on the way home.

But yeah, both sides really do suck. There were times over the last year I wouldn't see my baby for three days in a row because I left for work before she got up and came home after she went to bed. But that also means my wife had to come home from work and feed and bathe the child and herself without any help. The key is to never imply that you have the harder time.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What about gynephiles?

Also Francophiles often want to gently caress French people

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I'm going to save all the curious pedants out there a few seconds googling: chameleons do in fact have literal backbones. As for metaphorical backbones I haven't found any literature on the subject.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Angepain posted:

I'm going to save all the curious pedants out there a few seconds googling: chameleons do in fact have literal backbones. As for metaphorical backbones I haven't found any literature on the subject.

I'm going to double pedant you and say that the plural is not an accident and chameleons do in fact not have spines.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the breakthrough Brexit deal – Theresa May’s ‘hard won’ deal with Brussels to widen the Brexit negotiations has been publicly praised by all sides of her divided party"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Caspar David Friedrich

Times:

Gerald Scarfe:

Stephen Collins:

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Kissing other people's babies is loving weird and gross too, what started this trend? It probably goes way too far back to blame anyone currently, but it shouldn't be a thing. And frankly, even if a parent says it's okay for a stranger to kiss their baby, they probably shouldn't and that parent is kinda weird imo.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Just look at the middle panel there. She's saying "Get people out to vote for me and fight the rumors and innuendo about me." Like, yeah, that's actually exactly what you would do if you were running for office. I'm not sure what she was supposed to do instead that would be OK with Stantis here.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Grimdude posted:

Kissing other people's babies is loving weird and gross too, what started this trend? It probably goes way too far back to blame anyone currently, but it shouldn't be a thing. And frankly, even if a parent says it's okay for a stranger to kiss their baby, they probably shouldn't and that parent is kinda weird imo.

I don't know where it started, but I'm reminded of an episode of the Adam West Batman series where he and the Penguin are both running for mayor of Gotham. A woman asks Batman to kiss her baby, and he says no, explaining why it's unhygienic, and loses her vote.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

I haven't seen this at all in recent years. Like, I'm sure it was a thing at one point, but as far as I've seen in comics/comedy it's the husband complaining about his day at work only to get death stared by his wife who looks like she's caring for a bear instead of a kid.

As I said, caring for a baby is work and it's also important. But, unless you got into a dream job early in life, a job is also still work and presumably you're not an rear end in a top hat and also pulling your weight with the kid when you're home.

It's not about who's doing more work, it's about being able to do ANYTHING but the SAME THING all the time, all day, every day. The partner who goes to work gets to have a quiet-time commute, adult conversations, and gets to take a poo poo in peace. A 8-10 hour diversion from the same same same.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Angepain posted:

More chameleon facts: They don't actually change color to match their environment! That's a myth, they actually change color depending on their mood. Also, the reason they're able to change color at all is because they have a layer of crystals under their skin.

Chameleons are neat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Grimdude posted:

"Shaking hands and kissing babies" as shorthand for politicians schmoozing with voters goes back to at least 1833.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cloud Potato posted:

Gerald Scarfe:

Building a coalition with the Unionist Party was such a wonderful thing.

quote:

Irish border

• The agreement promises to ensure there will be no hard border and to uphold the Belfast agreement.
  • It makes clear the whole of the UK, including Northern Ireland, will be leaving the customs union.
  • It leaves unclear how an open border will be achieved but says in the absence of a later agreement, the UK will ensure “full alignment” with the rules of the customs union and single market that uphold the Good Friday agreement.
  • However, the concession secured by the DUP is that no new regulatory barriers will be allowed between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK without the permission of Stormont in the interest of upholding the Good Friday agreement.

In other words: the UK will keep having to abide by EU regulations, but will otherwise lose all the perks of being in the single market. Take Back Control™ :allears:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

More chameleon facts: They don't actually change color to match their environment! That's a myth, they actually change color depending on their mood. Also, the reason they're able to change color at all is because they have a layer of crystals under their skin.

Chameleons are neat.

But not as neat as octopuses who can blend into the background and actually don't have backbones! :eng101:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh yeah Octopuses, and cephalopods in general, are amazing.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Stephen Collins is just great.

And so are Octopuses

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Cephalopods always get a bad rap from political cartoons.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Internet Kraken posted:

And you know. Their proficiency in the Eldritch arts and allegiance to the dark ones of the deep.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Octopuses are smart and cool.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Internet Kraken posted:

So do elephants.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Katt posted:

And you know. Their proficiency in the Eldritch arts and allegiance to the dark ones of the deep.

Are you trying to tell me this little pod is evil? Get out.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
It would kill you in the name of their masters in a heartbeat if given the chance.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you trying to tell me this little pod is evil? Get out.

That is dangerously cute.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

World Famous W posted:

It would kill you in the name of their masters in a heartbeat if given the chance.

I'm voting for Octopus because he tells it like it is

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I'm voting for Octopus because he tells it like it is

*blows off dust*

I knew this one would come in handy one day.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

*blows off dust*

I knew this one would come in handy one day.

At this point I am not sure if we would be noticeably worse if we did have an eldritch abomination as president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Cthulhu isn't evil, he's just misunderstood :colbert:

• Locked thread