Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah.

"Does he believe it" is the wrong question to ask about Trump.

Trump thinks that if he says it he makes it true.

hes not wrong. reality has been bending to his whim somewhat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. he was a hardcore fiscal conservative and didnt like roosivelt. but most of the disney higherups including the ones who left because they hated his conseravtive guts, dont think he was racist. at worst he was probably "of the times."

I mean considering the times that probably means he was pretty loving racist.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Dave Weigel is incredibly wrong here. Between 2010 and 2014 there was a shitton of articles about how the Tea Party's purity politics led to them not flipping the senate. How purity politics on the right led to either candidates that were unelectable extremists (Linda McMahon, Richard Mourdock, Todd Akin) or to vote splits that hurt more moderate candidates (Rehberg).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Office Pig posted:

Well this is certainly a way to make a long story short.

Look, I'll be honest: I actually know very little about Russian history beyond "The incompetant Royal family was killed and this eventually led to Stalin taking control of the country and then much later, somehow, we ended up with Putin." There's a good chance I'm unaware of some key details here.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Star Wars is going to be paint by numbers from here on out but I will still admire Rogue One for telling basically an old school WWII war movie in space.

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I actually know very little about Russian history

no, don't be so hard on yourself lol

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rogue One gave us the Vader scene at the end, which is the only scene that really showed why people respected/feared the Jedi. They're kind of wet noodles in all the other movies.

As long as I get a few memorable scenes like that in every movie, I'm good.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Star Wars is going to be paint by numbers from here on out but I will still admire Rogue One for telling basically an old school WWII war movie in space.

First half was dumb, second half was amazing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a Red Letter Media review where they mention that there’s really only one kind of story you can tell in the Star Wars settling, and it’s Star Wars, and they’re right. There’s no possibility of innovation in a setting that’s just a very careful pastiche of old adventure stories, which is an adventure story.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

The whole Disney Princess cult creeps me out as an adult, but I probably would've been into it as a kid. I played with Barbies, so wtf do I know anyway?

at least disney princess movies are teaching positiveish messages to young girls now. poo poo like the little mermaid was god awful, where frozen is primarily about the relationship between two sisters

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

It was Star Wars Seven Samurai and painfully obvious about it.

What loving thread is this?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My birthday is just before Christmas, which generally means very few of my friends are around for it. This'll be the third year in a row I'm spending it day-drinking and watching Star Wars in the theatre with a few stragglers, which isn't a bad little tradition to have even though I'm kiiinda more interested in seeing The Shape of Water this year

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

DrNutt posted:

I mean considering the times that probably means he was pretty loving racist.

yeah I mean you can look at disney cartoons of the era, his actions allying him with anti-semites, not hiring minorities at disneyland

like yeah

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Feldegast42 posted:

Considering how much of New Hope was influenced by WWII war movies I really appreciated Rogue One doing basically the same thing, and for the most part sticking the landing. It felt like Star Wars without feeling like a rehash (the characters were paper thin however, I'll never dispute that), and was pretty much what I wanted from a Prequel in the first place.

Force Awakens just felt like Abrams going "I'm just gonna remake New Hope". I really enjoyed it, but it was very paint by numbers. Last Jedi is my breaking point, if it's just Empire with more red I'm probably done with the franchise again (at least in terms of first run "Oh boy!" engagement), but if they actually try to tell a new story I'll probably stick it out.

Honestly I'm more concerned with JJ "It's not rehashing, it's homage" Abrams loving up the franchise than Disney as a whole; simple overuse will kill the IP no matter who holds it, but if we don't even get through the first trilogy before realizing "oh it's just the originals redone" it's dead in the water, at least for me.

But anyways, I watched some clips of Trump's announcement about Jerusalem and oh dear god I forgot why I don't watch him talk.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It was Star Wars Seven Samurai and painfully obvious about it.

What loving thread is this?

theory: the most popular star wars are based on kurosawa films

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

stone cold posted:

theory: the most popular star wars are based on kurosawa films

I'm just mad that western films have been ripping off seven samurai for 50 years and people still don't recognize the formula.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I'm just mad that western films have been ripping off seven samurai for 50 years and people still don't recognize the formula.

Star Wars is based a bit more off of The Hidden Fortress, by Lucas' own admission.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

business hammocks posted:

There’s a Red Letter Media review where they mention that there’s really only one kind of story you can tell in the Star Wars settling, and it’s Star Wars, and they’re right. There’s no possibility of innovation in a setting that’s just a very careful pastiche of old adventure stories, which is an adventure story.

yeah pretty much. i mean i love the star wars universe, but its true. i have been listening to the expounded universe podcast(they cover EU books chapter by chapter and laugh/talk about it) but it shows how many terrible books there are compared to the good ones. its kinda like how new film makers and such make star trek movies to star warsy. star trek at its core is rod serling morality stories in space with weird poo poo, which alot of people dont get. idk i'll shut up.

Crow Jane posted:

My birthday is just before Christmas, which generally means very few of my friends are around for it. This'll be the third year in a row I'm spending it day-drinking and watching Star Wars in the theatre with a few stragglers, which isn't a bad little tradition to have even though I'm kiiinda more interested in seeing The Shape of Water this year

i have tradition of seeing star wars with my one friend at the midnight showing. so fun times.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Renaissance Spam posted:

Considering how much of New Hope was influenced by WWII war movies I really appreciated Rogue One doing basically the same thing, and for the most part sticking the landing. It felt like Star Wars without feeling like a rehash (the characters were paper thin however, I'll never dispute that), and was pretty much what I wanted from a Prequel in the first place.

Force Awakens just felt like Abrams going "I'm just gonna remake New Hope". I really enjoyed it, but it was very paint by numbers. Last Jedi is my breaking point, if it's just Empire with more red I'm probably done with the franchise again (at least in terms of first run "Oh boy!" engagement), but if they actually try to tell a new story I'll probably stick it out.

Honestly I'm more concerned with JJ "It's not rehashing, it's homage" Abrams loving up the franchise than Disney as a whole; simple overuse will kill the IP no matter who holds it, but if we don't even get through the first trilogy before realizing "oh it's just the originals redone" it's dead in the water, at least for me.

But anyways, I watched some clips of Trump's announcement about Jerusalem and oh dear god I forgot why I don't watch him talk.

its not jj this time. its some other dude. from what i have heard outside the ATAT battle and luke being a mentor, its not very ESB.

i liked rogue one, i just have some ideas that would have worked better and the flat characters bother me. i liked the action and i liked that they didnt pull any punchs for star wars movie.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Gold Sexy Body posted:

I can't vote for either candidate, i'm just saying that it's not dumb to not want to vote for candidates who don't represent your interests.

it actually is very stupid not to vote against the candidate pointing a gun at your head.

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

dbukalski posted:

it actually is very stupid not to vote against the candidate pointing a gun at your head.

Field a better candidate then.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

boner confessor posted:

at least disney princess movies are teaching positiveish messages to young girls now. poo poo like the little mermaid was god awful, where frozen is primarily about the relationship between two sisters

The Little Mermaid is not "God Awful", it's all about Ariel being allowed to make her own choices and live her life the way she wants in spite of her father's wishes. :colbert:

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
The Star Wars franchise has, at best, one good movie in it. It's rly not good.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gold Sexy Body posted:

Field a better candidate then.

learn how primaries work

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Little Mermaid is not "God Awful", it's all about Ariel being allowed to make her own choices and live her life the way she wants in spite of her father's wishes. :colbert:

ariel is a weeb for drylander culture and should be put in a Home

vv ursula is the only good thing about that movie, i wanted her to win vv

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Plus Ursula is based on Divine, who was pretty much the greatest thing ever.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Gold Sexy Body posted:

lmao hell yeah dude can you believe some people want single payer and to not die of treatable diseases in the richest country the world has ever seen, gently caress those guys lol

its loving alabama. the more liberal candidate already lost to jones. we cant just demand they replace jones with bernie. democracy happened and your left with jones vs moore

one of those men is pointing a gun at your face and one isnt libereal enough in alabama for you. so yeah stay home and play ps4. I think you said you cant vote for either(as in dont live in alabama or whatever) so Im addressing your thought process not your ability to pull the lever

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

boner confessor posted:

ariel is a weeb for drylander culture and should be put in a Home

ariel is figuring out her own independent identity and should be allowed to pursue interests different from the rest of her family to figure out how to be her own best self

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

dbukalski posted:

its loving alabama. the more liberal candidate already lost to jones. we cant just demand they replace jones with bernie. democracy happened and your left with jones vs moore

one of those men is pointing a gun at your face and one isnt libereal enough in alabama for you. so yeah stay home and play ps4. I think you said you cant vote for either(as in dont live in alabama or whatever) so Im addressing your thought process not your ability to pull the lever

People that argue like this do not actually care about the voters or democracy. They just want their way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Plus Ursula is based on Divine, who was pretty much the greatest thing ever.

Plus the giant cock on the movie poster.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stone cold posted:

ariel is figuring out her own independent identity and should be allowed to pursue interests different from the rest of her family to figure out how to be her own best self

it's the cinematic equivalent of someone's teen daughter running away from home to live with a divorced guy she met on the internet who lives in a singlewide and breeds pit bulls

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
It's really not healthy for people to keep living under the delusion that America is salvageable.

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

boner confessor posted:

learn how primaries work

Lol, ah yes the best candidate always wins the primary, including uh, noted election winners John Kerry and Hillary Clinton, very good point

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dbukalski posted:

to be fair. thats one dsa organizer on her lovely blog. the rest probably(hopefully) arnt that dumb.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gold Sexy Body posted:

Lol, ah yes the best candidate always wins the primary, including uh, noted election winners John Kerry and Hillary Clinton, very good point

it's silly to be mad itt that you dont know how primaries work. this isn't the thread's problem, its your personal problem

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

dbukalski posted:

I can't vote and I hope Doug wins.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

BarbarianElephant posted:

In the USA, it's gone the other way than in Scandinavia - constantly creeping *right* over decades. That's why you can look at old US right-wingers like Reagan and think they'd be kicked out of their party for being RINOs these days. Each successive Republican president has made the previous one look like a moderate. It will not end unless we take steps to make it end - the next Republican president will be making us yearn for Trump, because he will be another step more extreme.

so basically roy moore 2020

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

boner confessor posted:

it's the cinematic equivalent of someone's teen daughter running away from home to live with a divorced guy she met on the internet who lives in a singlewide and breeds pit bulls

no, it’s not

projection much?

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

boner confessor posted:

it's silly to be mad itt that you dont know how primaries work

Who is mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor