Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If the Panamera is the dream car, you need better dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

When i see a truckload of cinder blocks dumped into a carbon fiber truck bed then I'll be a believer

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

hifi posted:

When i see a truckload of cinder blocks dumped into a carbon fiber truck bed then I'll be a believer
The Ridgeline is "just" FRP but here's the video they released to drag Chevrolet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOhO3D_90Y

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Guinness posted:

Imagine some kid clawing his way up the corporate ladder to finally make Senior Director of Operations, just so he could finally realize his dream of owning a Panamera.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Guinness posted:

The Cayenne is The Best Porsche.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
every kid in Texas dreams of clawing their way up to middle management and overpaying for an F-150 King Ranch

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
You can buy a Panamera in a 680hp station wagon version that does 0-60 in a tick over 3 seconds and you can get it in brown.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No manual though :frogout:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

No manual though :frogout:

No tape deck either, grampa.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy gently caress did they actually round off the wheel wells?

So we won't get any more of those BS adverts of them dumping poo poo tons of rocks into the back of an F150 and going "Oh look at all the holes!"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

So we won't get any more of those BS adverts of them dumping poo poo tons of rocks into the back of an F150 and going "Oh look at all the holes!"

When was the last time you saw one of their "man step" or "heated steering wheels are for pussies" commercials since their truck gained those features?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

When was the last time you saw one of their "man step" or "heated steering wheels are for pussies" commercials since their truck gained those features?

I don't recall them calling out the heated steering wheels, but I do remember the "man step" commercials.

Howie Long: "Can you believe that other company making it easier to access the storage area (i.e. major purpose) of your truck? Pfft."
Everybody watching: :thunk:

Good call, GM.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I think the stinger is a realistic goal car for anyone who wants something new or lightly used and doesn’t have a top tier executive salary.

A lot of people probably could afford a BMW or Audi equivalent right up until they have to own and maintain it.
The stinger comes almost dangerous close to what these cars can do for you with a better warranty, cheaper maintenance and lower insurance rates.

When the ECU tune comes out you’ll probably get enough performance out of the TT V6 to embarrass a lot of far more expensive vehicles for far less money. Ultimately I think these cars will be on the road long after the German ones go to the junkyard.

In my opinion you sacrifice some of the luxury fit and finish with the Stinger and performance characteristics that 90% of drivers would never reach anyway. For these sacrifices you save close to 20k in initial costs and a ton more in operating costs. Plus you get parts commonality with other cars in the family which further makes the ownership experience much easier.

If you light cigars with stacks of Benjamins then it doesn’t matter what car you get. The people who buy (read:lease) BMWs have budgeted the 20-30k per 3 years they’ll spend plus insurance and maintenance and for them that’s all they need since their alternative prior to the leasing bonanza was to trade in Malibu’s every 3 years.

For someone like me- depending on my income I’d either buy off lease with confidence or buy new and drive it for years to come.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't recall them calling out the heated steering wheels, but I do remember the "man step" commercials.

Howie Long: "Can you believe that other company making it easier to access the storage area (i.e. major purpose) of your truck? Pfft."
Everybody watching: :thunk:

Good call, GM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagPZOAtZp4

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

I think the stinger is a realistic goal car for anyone who wants something new or lightly used and doesn’t have a top tier executive salary.

A lot of people probably could afford a BMW or Audi equivalent right up until they have to own and maintain it.
The stinger comes almost dangerous close to what these cars can do for you with a better warranty, cheaper maintenance and lower insurance rates.

When the ECU tune comes out you’ll probably get enough performance out of the TT V6 to embarrass a lot of far more expensive vehicles for far less money. Ultimately I think these cars will be on the road long after the German ones go to the junkyard.

In my opinion you sacrifice some of the luxury fit and finish with the Stinger and performance characteristics that 90% of drivers would never reach anyway. For these sacrifices you save close to 20k in initial costs and a ton more in operating costs. Plus you get parts commonality with other cars in the family which further makes the ownership experience much easier.

If you light cigars with stacks of Benjamins then it doesn’t matter what car you get. The people who buy (read:lease) BMWs have budgeted the 20-30k per 3 years they’ll spend plus insurance and maintenance and for them that’s all they need since their alternative prior to the leasing bonanza was to trade in Malibu’s every 3 years.

For someone like me- depending on my income I’d either buy off lease with confidence or buy new and drive it for years to come.

That warranty and ECU tune dont play together though.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

That’s no problem. You just reverse the tune when you go in for service. Unless the ECU has logs to show you changed something.
Even without the tunes your car is putting up some respectable times. It’s really compelling for people who can just afford to buy the car but can’t afford upkeep on a comparable German car.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I revert the ecu tune on my Abarth to stock whenever I take it in for service. It's a non-issue these days.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Drove the 2.0T AWD stinger today. I can confirm that even with the less powerful engine and awd that it will get sideways under power with TCS off and the car in sport.
:getin:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

That’s no problem. You just reverse the tune when you go in for service. Unless the ECU has logs to show you changed something.
Even without the tunes your car is putting up some respectable times. It’s really compelling for people who can just afford to buy the car but can’t afford upkeep on a comparable German car.

A lot of vehicles have flash counters and/or flags that trip if the ECU has been modified. It’s not as easy as just factory resetting it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You just get a spare ecu vin matched. In kia/hyundai theyre really easy to swap back and forth.

Im curious how the 2.0t is. They were highly modable in thecoupe and the zf8 should be fairly robust.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:ironicat:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Christobevii3 posted:

You just get a spare ecu vin matched. In kia/hyundai theyre really easy to swap back and forth.

Im curious how the 2.0t is. They were highly modable in thecoupe and the zf8 should be fairly robust.

The Stinger’s 8-speed is an in-house design, not the ZF 8HP. Motor Trend and Alex Dykes are the only two US reviewers I’ve seen with reviews of the 2.0T Stinger, and both were quite positive about it. The equipment list on the base Stinger is competitive with the loaded mainstream midsizers, and the faux luxury cars. Kia is being aggressive on the leases for the base Stingers, which is encouraging for moving units.

The enthusiast comparison I’m personally interested in is the Accord Sport 2.0T vs. a base Stinger. Every review I’ve seen of the new Accord has been glowing, and the 2.0T Accord is faster in a straight line and lighter than the Stinger.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Huh thought it was a zf. If they didnt change anything in it from the v8 g80 then should be stout enough still.

The accord sport is neat but it seems like they could do more for the pricing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kill me now posted:

I got to drive a US production spec Stinger GT2 AWD today as part of Kia's dealer training program.

It's cool.

Things I didn't like about the drive
Traffic
Not enough twisty roads
The BMWesque detent in the accelerator travel at about 80% throttle.
The throttle/transmission responsiveness at low RPM even in Sport.

They also brought a Base spec Panamera as a performance and size comparison. The Stinger had more power and smoother but slower shifting (Auto vs DCT) It was also more comfortable over the bumps both in the standard shock settings and the sport settings. Had more cargo space and seating capacity (Porsche is a 4 seater)

The Panamera was clearly the nicer and more high end interior and the difference in digital display size and resolution was clear. I wish they had brought something more in more similar in price point like a 440xi gran coupe. Even with the performance difference almost no one is going to cross shop the panamera with a stinger. Their reasoning was while the Porsche is the dream car, the stinger can be the reality car for an enthusiast customer.

Yeah the benchmark cars they brought to the media drive were a base-spec V6 Panamera, Audi A5 sportback, Audi A7, 440i, and a Lexus of some description.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jesus

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

It's so bizarre.

"What, you want to be comfortable? Fag! Chevy: the lovely, uncomfortable truck for manly men."

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
How did Howie know what a manicured hand looks like? Checkmate closeted Howie.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

PT6A posted:

It's so bizarre.

"What, you want to be comfortable? Fag! Chevy: the lovely, uncomfortable truck for manly men."

Yeah and then they jump right into talking about fuel economy??? gaaaay

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Or just get a used Lexus and have a better car all around. I'm not sold on the Stinger yet, it needs a few years to prove itself.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Or just get a used Lexus and have a better car all around. I'm not sold on the Stinger yet, it needs a few years to prove itself.

Driving it might help you buy in.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Godzilla07 posted:

The Stinger’s 8-speed is an in-house design, not the ZF 8HP. Motor Trend and Alex Dykes are the only two US reviewers I’ve seen with reviews of the 2.0T Stinger, and both were quite positive about it. The equipment list on the base Stinger is competitive with the loaded mainstream midsizers, and the faux luxury cars. Kia is being aggressive on the leases for the base Stingers, which is encouraging for moving units.

The enthusiast comparison I’m personally interested in is the Accord Sport 2.0T vs. a base Stinger. Every review I’ve seen of the new Accord has been glowing, and the 2.0T Accord is faster in a straight line and lighter than the Stinger.

The interior of the Accord is horrid, and while I’ve only driven one for 20 min I just don’t see how it could compare dynamically to the RWD Kia. But then the Accord left me feeling really flat, I do not understand the plaudits that car has been getting.

If the requirement is a rwd sporty four door, have I mentioned how good the base Giulia is? Make sure to get one with the optional lsd.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

drgitlin posted:

If the requirement is a rwd sporty four door, have I mentioned how good the base Giulia is? Make sure to get one with the optional lsd.

If they made one that split the difference between the quadrifoglio and the base, with say 350 HP in a V6, I’d be driving it right now.

The chassis is really good and the steering makes the whole care feel very alive. If I had 80k to spend on a car I’d be in the QV and if I only had about 45k I’d be in the base model with LSD. But at 60 grand the M2 was the most attractive option.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

On one hand, the Giulia is by far the most desirable car in its segment.

On the other hand, I know that Lexus and BMW will still exist in five years.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wheeee posted:

Well I wouldn’t BUY one. I’d lease one though.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Kraftwerk posted:

Ultimately I think these cars will be on the road long after the German ones go to the junkyard.

What has given you any indication about longevity of Korean cars? Anything more then say 5 years old from Mia/Hyundai has been an absolute shitcan of a vehicle.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I gotta wonder how many people watched this and went, 'whoa! heated steering wheel!" and then went and bought the Ram.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Wheeee posted:

But Alfa is owned by Fiat Chrysler....

Oh, right.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

D C posted:

What has given you any indication about longevity of Korean cars? Anything more then say 5 years old from Mia/Hyundai has been an absolute shitcan of a vehicle.

Lol yeah. All of the early 2000s Elantras have vanished.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

D C posted:

Maybe if we're talking 10 years old since it was a shitcan when it was new, but I've seen other peoples' 2012 Hyundais and they are just sort of boring but still functioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I had a 2009 Sonata that I traded in last year and it was... fine. Nothing wrong with it, fairly comfortable.