Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Stand Out VR is live on the Early Access store! Some streamers (myself and our own lemming among others) will be doing key giveaways on stream this weekend, check it out!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7iiotg/standout_vr_battle_royale_is_out_for_early_access/

Holy cow, they had 51 people in a single match after the game was on the steam store for an hour. This weekend is going to be nuts!

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Stand Out VR is live on the Early Access store! Some streamers (myself and our own lemming among others) will be doing key giveaways on stream this weekend, check it out!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7iiotg/standout_vr_battle_royale_is_out_for_early_access/

Holy cow, they had 51 people in a single match after the game was on the steam store for an hour. This weekend is going to be nuts!

There are 87 online playing now! I hope they can keep this player count since it really needs a decent amount of people to keep the bots down. Maybe they can reduce the time between rounds as well.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The new Meatmas update for H3VR is amazing.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

X Rebirth VR version is free to play this weekend. I'm interested in trying out the Touch controls it is supposed to have as an option instead of fancy joystick setups.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Any issues playing with a rift? It says it’s for the Vive and I never know if I should expect that most things on Steam will be usable on both or if they really mean that it is only for Vive.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rio posted:

Any issues playing with a rift? It says it’s for the Vive and I never know if I should expect that most things on Steam will be usable on both or if they really mean that it is only for Vive.

The alpha worked fine for me in a Rift, I'll try the full game tonight and let you know

Edit: actually I'm pretty sure Saq is on a Rift so I'm sure it's fine

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

rio posted:

It works just fine. The only annoying thing is that to activate walking you have to press in on the joystick which is always awkward. I imagine on the Vive the clickpad is easier to use in that respect.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seashell Salesman posted:

The new Meatmas update for H3VR is amazing.

You can't post this without the trailer. It's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDmKwWMETb4

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Taintrunner posted:

You can't post this without the trailer. It's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDmKwWMETb4

My apologies. In return the thread may have my scientific results of poking the meatmas scene so far: grinding up ammo gets you the black ball resource, grinding up the melee starter weapons gets you the goobery blob (?) resource, the higher tier spawns seem to drop more stuff, and you lose all your gear when you leave and re-enter the scene but not if you die (so dying appears to have no consequences despite there being healing items).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm curious to see how far into Lone Echo I am but don't want to be spoiled by watching a video walkthrough (and no one writes text ones anymore). Can someone let me know about how much percentage I have complete? I just started opening cryostasis chambers on the alien ship with the guidance of the AI.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

jubjub64 posted:

It works just fine. The only annoying thing is that to activate walking you have to press in on the joystick which is always awkward. I imagine on the Vive the clickpad is easier to use in that respect.

Hmm, that might be a deal breaker. Smooth turn is like that on Rec Room and I barely use it because it is really uncomfortable and not accurate so I can’t imagine doing that for entire games as a primary form of movement.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GutBomb posted:

I'm curious to see how far into Lone Echo I am but don't want to be spoiled by watching a video walkthrough (and no one writes text ones anymore). Can someone let me know about how much percentage I have complete? I just started opening cryostasis chambers on the alien ship with the guidance of the AI.

I would say a good 80% if my memory is good?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rio posted:

Its actually better for us rift people, We can use 180 room scale poo poo and get snap turn while vive people have to suffer without it or something.

But yeah, Works good.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Stand out is crashy. It's ugly. And when there's a good population of humans on, it's fun as hell. At the $15 sale price (until the 15th) it's probably a good buy. I'd be a bit surprised if it was still the preeminent VR battle royale a year from now, but I have little doubt that there's $15 of fun to be had out of it before someone comes along and does it better. IF the playerbase remains healthy, because playing against bots is deeply unsatisfying.

I'm especially a fan of how you can still talk after you die, so if you died at close range you can have a friendly chat with your killer. I've been enjoying chilling with them and helping them spot enemies for as long as they stay in the area. A bit of vicarious victory makes up for the disappointment of defeat.

rio posted:

Hmm, that might be a deal breaker. Smooth turn is like that on Rec Room and I barely use it because it is really uncomfortable and not accurate so I can’t imagine doing that for entire games as a primary form of movement.
This was fixed in a patch today. Oculus no longer needs to press to move. Even before that, the way it works on vive is you only press to start moving (and even that only sometimes seems to be necessary, it's kind of confusing), but regardless you should be good to go now.

EbolaIvory posted:

Its actually better for us rift people, We can use 180 room scale poo poo and get snap turn while vive people have to suffer without it or something.
Give me true roomscale over snap turning any day.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tom Guycot posted:

I would say a good 80% if my memory is good?

That's kind of disappointing. I've only put in maybe 4 hours. It's so good. I want more.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 9, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ralith posted:

Stand out is crashy. It's ugly. And when there's a good population of humans on, it's fun as hell. At the $15 sale price (until the 15th) it's probably a good buy. I'd be a bit surprised if it was still the preeminent VR battle royale a year from now, but I have little doubt that there's $15 of fun to be had out of it before someone comes along and does it better. IF the playerbase remains healthy, because playing against bots is deeply unsatisfying.

I'm especially a fan of how you can still talk after you die, so if you died at close range you can have a friendly chat with your killer. I've been enjoying chilling with them and helping them spot enemies for as long as they stay in the area. A bit of vicarious victory makes up for the disappointment of defeat.

This was fixed in a patch today. Oculus no longer needs to press to move. Even before that, the way it works on vive is you only press to start moving (and even that only sometimes seems to be necessary, it's kind of confusing), but regardless you should be good to go now.

Give me true roomscale over snap turning any day.

You still get full room scale. Lmfao. It’s just a setting to allow snap turn.

You really should turn down the hate sprinkler.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
I’m planning on diving sight unseen into VR and I’m stuck on deciding between and Oculus or a PSVR. I have a regular PS4 and a PC with an i5 3570k and GTX 970. The $200 PSVR packing going on sale tomorrow is tempting but somewhat limiting compared to PC VR. I’m also worried that my PC is not going to be up to the task in the coming months and I won’t have the budget for a new build until the GTX 1170’s most likely hit.

Also I know the $200 package is the old headset. I don’t care since I have no plans on getting a PRO or moving to 4K HDR anytime soon.

I wear glasses and have 2 young kids that will want to join in the fun of that makes any difference.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

As an owner of both a Rift and a PSVR, I'd definitely go with a Rift unless you're really excited about Skyrim VR. I am personally playing Skyrim on my PSVR now, though, as it's a great game. The PC VR with room scale is just technically hugely more capable and allows a lot more freedom, but many games will be the same.

Edit: you'll also pretty much require some contacts to use the rift comfortably. If that's a dealbreaker just get PSVR, it is much more glasses friendly(though contacts make it more comfortable as well). I actually got some daily contacts specifically for VR and use them only for it.

Question Time fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 9, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You don't need contacts for VR. I use a lens insert.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

PerrineClostermann posted:

You don't need contacts for VR. I use a lens insert.

Some goon bought these horrible Harry Potter glasses for VR http://www.zennioptical.com/450021-metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinge.html for $20 and posted about it. I copied him, they work great with my Oculus.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

FWIW I wear glasses, but can get away without them when I jam the Oculus lenses to my eyeballs and can see clearly :shrug:

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

kloa posted:

FWIW I wear glasses, but can get away without them when I jam the Oculus lenses to my eyeballs and can see clearly :shrug:

I’ve used Cardboard without glasses and it was fine so I guess it’s not that big of a deal.

So my computer is up to spec for things like Dirt Rally and Job Simulator? I don’t care about Doom but I will play the hell out of Skyrim VR if it ever comes out for PC.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sacred Cow posted:

I’m planning on diving sight unseen into VR and I’m stuck on deciding between and Oculus or a PSVR. I have a regular PS4 and a PC with an i5 3570k and GTX 970. The $200 PSVR packing going on sale tomorrow is tempting but somewhat limiting compared to PC VR. I’m also worried that my PC is not going to be up to the task in the coming months and I won’t have the budget for a new build until the GTX 1170’s most likely hit.

Also I know the $200 package is the old headset. I don’t care since I have no plans on getting a PRO or moving to 4K HDR anytime soon.

I wear glasses and have 2 young kids that will want to join in the fun of that makes any difference.
I think an argument can be made either way.

Pro PC / Anti PSVR:
The GTX 970 was the minimum recommended spec when the Rift and Vive launched, so I wouldn't worry too much about support for it being dropped.
Besides being the old headset, that $200 PSVR bundle does not include the motion controllers, and you will definitely want motion controllers for VR, closing the budget advantage.
The Oculus Rift has the best motion controllers right now, and better tracking / more playable area than PSVR. And a bit better resolution than PSVR. It's just overall a more immersive VR experience.
You get a big library including indie / experimental titles, not just what went through the Sony approval process.

Pro PSVR / Anti PC:
You're guaranteed your setup will continue to be supported by Sony. With PC there's a good chance you'll feel the urge to spend more on upgrades down the road.
The PSVR headset is the most comfortable, and is friendly to most glasses.
It's a console - the setup is the most straightforward, and the games just work without installing drivers or other PC headaches.
You get some nice time limited exclusives, Rez was a historical example, Skyrim is the current example.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I thought I needed my contacts in when I got the Rift since it didn’t seem like my glasses fit when I got it. However I was dealing with some serious eye irritation and had to take them out - after playing around with the straps on the Rift and pushing in the bottom of the soft insert of the Rift the glasses work just fine and are actually not uncomfortable to wear with it. The biggest downside is that I can’t easily pull up the headset to look around the room because the glasses get in the way so putting the headset on and taking it off is more of an effort that requires two hands and some care. I wouldn’t at all say that glasses are a problem now and I don’t have small glasses frames either - they are medium height and fairly wide width frames.

Regarding your specs, I run a gtx970 too but have a 6th generation i7 (6700). My card works hard but has not presented any problems running games (well see about that after Fallout 4 VR though). The CPU rarely runs past 50% (often even less of a load) and seems to either not be needed as much for VR games or is overkill in terms of what is required. So I’m not sure how a 3rd gen i5 would perform but I would guess that you are good to go enough to at least run most games. Like others said, the 360 room scale is probably worth doing the pc setup - you can get a very usable 360 setup with just 2 sensors too if you position them well. I would just do some googling to see if you can find info on how your i5 would perform.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Ralith posted:

I'm really glad to hear it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GutBomb posted:

That's kind of disappointing. I've only put in maybe 4 hours. It's so good. I want more.

It definitely leaves you wanting more, but I suppose it depends on how fast you are. My first playthrough was a little over 6 hours, and my second playthrough where I did all the optional missions, and found all the cubesats (theres some cool info as they go on), was right about 8 hours. They've said they're going to be doing more with the story, whether a sequel or expansions, they were quite vague, but its definitely one of the things I'm most looking forward to hearing more details about next year.

Sacred Cow posted:

They're both nice pieces of kit, and I wouldn't be too worried about the video card. Its still listed as recommended spec for the oculus (they lowered the min spec to 960), and have been pretty vocal that it will remain so for the life of the rift. Obviously this doens't mean ultra settings with a bunch of SS in every game, but it shouldn't hit a wall. I would focus on the other aspects while making a decision.

-Lots more free software included with the rift. Art software medium and quill which might be a lot of fun for kids and I don't think PSVR has an equivalent of? Also full games like Robo Recall, Dead & Buried, Lucky's Tale, and at the moment (until the 14th) Lone Echo as well.

-Unless you move your PC/have your PC in the living room, the PSVR is definitely a more social thing for people to sit around and watch.

-The tracking and controllers are substantially better on the Rift. Being able to move all around your room, reach wherever, lay prone on the ground is a great sense of freedom. The PSVR has a much much more narrow field of tracking and some hiccups with the controllers due to their age and tech.

-Both PCVR and PSVR have exclusives, while some will cross over, others will not. I would definitely say the variety and amount is larger on the PC side, though if there are specific games on either system that will never come to the other that could be a decider for you right there.

-PSVR has nice lenses with no godrays (an effect in high contrast scenes, where really bright colours on a black background with produce a shimmer effect sort of like the lens is dirty) but smaller clarity (IE its clear in the center but as you turn your eyes to the edges of the lenses it gets more blurry.

-Rift has nice lenses with godrays, but a larger clarity where you can look around with your eyes more instead of head.

-Theres a lot more free software and experiences on the PC compared to the PSVR, not even counting the included oculus software. From experiences like visiting the ISS, The Lab on steam, to vr short films like Henry and such, theres a greater amount.

-The Rift by virtue of using one physical screen per eye has hardware IPD adjustments, while the PSVR has one large screen and only software adjustment. This isn't a huge deal but could potentially make the experience better for someone with really wide eyes, or really close together ones.

-The visual quality of games on the Rift will always be high just by virtue of the power vs the requirement of running on a PS4 base model. You'll never see something that looks like Lone Echo on the PSVR. This is not to say the PSVR is ugly, it does a great job with what it has to work with and there are some nice looking games on it.

-The PSVR has more asymmetrical games where one person is in the headset and others are using gamepads watching the TV. The Rift has almost nothing like this.

-Price difference of ~$200 isn't nothing

My personal preference is for the PC side, but I can't say if thats the right choice for you depending on your home, your children, what you're looking for.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Sacred Cow posted:

In addition to what's been said, PC VR has a lot of somewhat janky, often ugly, but nonetheless novel and fun indie games and experiments available.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just to say I've never experienced any issues with my 3570k, set to energy saving, with any VR app. Another instance where fallout 4 will apparently be the test.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well I finally got around to playing Scanner Sombre and that was definitely the sort of VR exploration game that I've been craving. (I kinda wish there was a The Witness VR and that it had been the first version of The Witness that I played but oh well.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I run an 8-year-old i5 750 (overclocked to 3.2 ghz) and a gtx 970, and it runs pretty much everything I've thrown at it quite well on my Vive at 2.0 supersampling. Even Doom VFR, despite being below the "minimum" specs.

In the year since I got my Vive performance hes pretty steadily improved as the drivers and Steam VR software have gotten better, I think.

The only notable issue I've had with my setup is that Echo Arena will not start because it flatly says my CPU isn't good enough, it lacks some kind of CPU feature that the game requires.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Lumpen posted:

I run an 8-year-old i5 750 (overclocked to 3.2 ghz) and a gtx 970, and it runs pretty much everything I've thrown at it quite well on my Vive at 2.0 supersampling. Even Doom VFR, despite being below the "minimum" specs.

In the year since I got my Vive performance hes pretty steadily improved as the drivers and Steam VR software have gotten better, I think.

The only notable issue I've had with my setup is that Echo Arena will not start because it flatly says my CPU isn't good enough, it lacks some kind of CPU feature that the game requires.

I had a 875k and, when starting Lone Echo, had a window pop up saying I lacked a cpu feature but I could just click the ok button on that window and keep playing Lone Echo.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rio posted:

Works 100% fine on rift, probably better than the Vive actually!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

How do I get Lone Echo for free with my Rift, until the 14th?

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
So apparently Fallout 4 VR min spec is 6700k/GTX1070, rip poors.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The original Fo4 released with minimum specs way above what you actually need to make it run so I'd take that figure with a grain of salt.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It looks like Oculus silently fixed one of the issues I had with dash. At launch every time you brought up the dash it would reorient your windows to where you're facing and any slight movements positionally even if you had them pinned. This was obviously annoying because I'd get things set up how i wanted in say elite, then when i had to open dash to interact with them, their position would get out of wack. At some point since then though it now keeps things locked, but if you make a big movement (turning 180, moving a few feet to the side) it reorients. However moving back to a similar position as it was initially puts it back where it was. It really works great now, I'm super happy they fixed that.

How do I get Lone Echo for free with my Rift, until the 14th?

Its free for brand new purchases, not sure how it works but I assume they give you a code to redeem.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Its free for brand new purchases, not sure how it works but I assume they give you a code to redeem.

Ah so presumably us who bought during Thanksgiving sale don't get it?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ah so presumably us who bought during Thanksgiving sale don't get it?

That would be affirmative, you got the 50 dollar discount instead :P

I did however find this really cool video while looking that up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h063Un5D2f0

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So whats the play report on Fallout 4 VR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I finished lone echo. It was pretty great, definitely want to play more. I do hope that when there is a sequel it's a bit more than a just a fetch quest. I hope that it gives you some real choice rather than just a really long, immersive, well done Simon Says.

Lone Echo spoilers follow
I was sure Apollo was going to be like SHODAN from the system shock games and that there would be some sort of double cross after getting the ship online that would introduce some choice or at least some unassisted problem solving since one character or another pretty much holds your hand through the whole thing. On one hand I was impressed that they didn't go the obvious direction but on the other I was just a little disappointed that there was pretty much no conflict or decisions. By conflict I don't mean combat. I was impressed that they made a story based game where shooting/ violence is not as integral part.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 9, 2017