Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
God, those bits were awesome. These giant dudes just beating on you while muttering their crazy odes to color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I started playing again with an easy baby mode patch hoping I could just breeze through it and enjoy the ambience but I'm still feeling pressured. I'm 99% sure I'm actually ahead of the game but man they know how to make you feel off-put :saddowns: I had one of Uta's hearts opened before Mantid's fat rear end finally showed up, so I can't be doing that bad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nice, thank you

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

BlackFrost posted:

So basically play with the intention of lowering relationships instead of raising them, or anti-common sense options like "Open the spooky trap door or don't" kinda thing?

Probably the anti-common sense options give the more interesting (or lethal) scenarios. I don't remember offhand how lowering relationships effects the story apart from some characters endings.

the black husserl posted:

A horror game that intentionally tries to kill you with misleading tutorials and UI prompts would be awesome. I'm thinking Eternal Darkness 2.0.

A friend and I were discussing the idea a few years ago. Like the environmental suit you're wearing malfunctions and the onboard A.I starts displaying things wrong, with the motion tracker beeping for enemies that aren't there, ammo count cycling up and down etc. I wanted something like the loading screen tutorials spoiling an upcoming monster that's extremely dangerous, with tips saying you have to run. The monster never shows up in-game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's a careful path you have to walk because video games work by asking the player to trust them. You'd have to be consistent enough in your lying so that the player can pick up on getting cheated.

Illbleed kind of works like this. There are fake traps among the real ones but if like a telephone registers as smell instead of hearing then it's probably fake.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Probably the anti-common sense options give the more interesting (or lethal) scenarios. I don't remember offhand how lowering relationships effects the story apart from some characters endings.

Yeah, I'm seeing that now. I've been reloading some of the more obvious "die or do not" choices to see how it plays out. Kinda makes me want to play through the game a few times to see how things change without certain characters around! After my first run I may go back and see what happens if you try to kill off everyone, haha.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
So Scott Cawthon has a new game free on Steam and a few minutes with it makes it definitely seem like a stealth FNAF6. Liking it a lot so far.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Popular Human posted:

So Scott Cawthon has a new game free on Steam and a few minutes with it makes it definitely seem like a stealth FNAF6. Liking it a lot so far.

A streamer I follow decided to play it thinking it was a just a little minigame like Sit n’ Survive. Ended up playing for three hours. Because it IS FNaF 6: Pizzeria Simulator.

If there are a couple things Cawthon is underrated for it’s his sound design and his ability to provide instructions within context of his games that don’t quite drone on too long. Despite a few longer examples, very few fan games quite nail the whole “narrator explains the controls in a succinct but thorough manner” like Scott does.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hello friends, I finally beat SOMA and am now qualified to answer any questions you might have on it. Please, don't be shy.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You think those robot bodies have dick holes or what

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

A streamer I follow decided to play it thinking it was a just a little minigame like Sit n’ Survive. Ended up playing for three hours. Because it IS FNaF 6: Pizzeria Simulator.

If there are a couple things Cawthon is underrated for it’s his sound design and his ability to provide instructions within context of his games that don’t quite drone on too long. Despite a few longer examples, very few fan games quite nail the whole “narrator explains the controls in a succinct but thorough manner” like Scott does.

Yeah, just started playing it myself and yes, it really is basically a fully fledged FNAF game, and not a bad one at that. Hell, it's better than 2, maybe 3.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

oldpainless posted:

Hello friends, I finally beat SOMA and am now qualified to answer any questions you might have on it. Please, don't be shy.

which robot was the hottest

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

oldpainless posted:

I'm starting to think one of my cousins might secretly be a robot, what should I do?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bogart posted:

You think those robot bodies have dick holes or what

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

which robot was the hottest

Knorth posted:

I'm starting to think one of my cousins might secretly be a robot, what should I do?

Yes
The naked one
gently caress it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Evil Within 2 is a more well rounded game this time, but it kinda lost its flavour by turning into a more bog standard semi-open world game. Even Mobius isn't wrapped in cryptic scenery or symbolism, it's just there and any intention of muddling the lines between reality and dream are gone.
"Is this all in my mind?" says Sebastian, well, yeah dude, you pretty much jacked into the matrix on your own this time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Honest Thief posted:

Evil Within 2 is a more well rounded game this time, but it kinda lost its flavour by turning into a more bog standard semi-open world game. Even Mobius isn't wrapped in cryptic scenery or symbolism, it's just there and any intention of muddling the lines between reality and dream are gone.
"Is this all in my mind?" says Sebastian, well, yeah dude, you pretty much jacked into the matrix on your own this time.

On the other hand it is now an enjoyable game, that people like to play

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It already was, given you were able to run it at a playable framerate.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Evil Within 1 was not very good, for a number of reasons that are well tread at this point.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I enjoyed my playthrough of evil within 1 but I fully admit it is flawed in certain ways that turns off the average gamer.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think having safe hub areas gives a certain approachability the original lacked. Although I liked the gauntlet design better.
On this new one for a second or two I thought "why can't I smash bricks on the fungus infected like before? ...oooooh."

Improbable Lobster posted:

Evil Within 1 was not very good, for a number of reasons that are well tread at this point.
:shrug:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

I enjoyed my playthrough of evil within 1 but I fully admit it is flawed in certain ways that turns off the average gamer.

It had a ton of genuinely awful game/level/enemy design as well as a terribly told plot that's complete nonsense if you don't play the DLC and some pretty major technical issues (some of which were eventually patched TBF)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So as is expected for Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, I've already started finding Scott's usual brand of hidden stuff :allears:

If you play Midnight Motorist, on the third or fourth lap there's an exit on the bottom of the screen. It's... uncomfortable and cryptic to say the least :ohdear:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Improbable Lobster posted:

It had a ton of genuinely awful game/level/enemy design as well as a terribly told plot that's complete nonsense if you don't play the DLC and some pretty major technical issues (some of which were eventually patched TBF)

See I think that's a big difference.

My first and only playthrough, I finished earlier this year with all dlc. So I got to see more interesting designs in the dlc and I liked the ending of the original game. Level design isn't that bad. Also because I played it this year, it's in the best patched state as well.

What is pretty bad is some of the enemy/boss encounters, like the one involving fire. But there are some set pieces that make you think 'this really feels like something put of resident evil 4'

At this point the complete game is like less than $20 bucks.

I'm glad they stuck with it. Doesn't seem likely we'll get a third game but I appreciate the effort.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

After a more recent replay I've softened up on EW1 a whole lot, it still got kind of weak about mid to late game for me, but after all the patches and the couple DLC's it was much better. EW2 I enjoyed a lot more all the way through though.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Danaru posted:

So as is expected for Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, I've already started finding Scott's usual brand of hidden stuff :allears:

If you play Midnight Motorist, on the third or fourth lap there's an exit on the bottom of the screen. It's... uncomfortable and cryptic to say the least :ohdear:

Additionally the music for what you’re referring to is just really solid.

Any suggestions on who to watch play through the game yet? I think the release caught folks off-guard so it may be a few days; tried to watch Markiplier for old time’s sake and I couldn’t make it through. He was tolerable 3 years ago when the first FNaF came out, but his exaggeration style is just too much for me now.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Additionally the music for what you’re referring to is just really solid.

Any suggestions on who to watch play through the game yet? I think the release caught folks off-guard so it may be a few days; tried to watch Markiplier for old time’s sake and I couldn’t make it through. He was tolerable 3 years ago when the first FNaF came out, but his exaggeration style is just too much for me now.

Youtube is a hellscape now. That kind of behaviour is encouraged because it brings in kid views which means plenty of ads. I legitimately miss small scale content providers.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

The training posters are great

Theres some speculation that this might be the Purple Man/Springtrap based on the clothes and cleft chin

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
John Wolfe will almost undoubtedly play it at some point.

Also just checked and he played doki doki literature club which means I don't need to play it anymore just to get to the twist.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm definitely expecting most of the tolerable youtube people to get videos up about it in the next day or so. i'm sure the spontaneous release did them no favors as far as their schedules go.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Poulpe posted:

Youtube is a hellscape now. That kind of behaviour is encouraged because it brings in kid views which means plenty of ads. I legitimately miss small scale content providers.

I blame the finger family/algorithm Spider-man/Frozen type stuff. That’s doing more damage than a dozen screaming indie horror let’s players (unless said players are making toxic, bigoted “jokes,” those sorts absolutely brought ruin to the the industry).

exploded mummy posted:

The training posters are great

There’s a bit of Tim and Eric to those parts, evokes the old Tom Goes to the Mayor “here’s a money scheme that will absolutely get someone killed.” The game constantly warns you that X can get someone dead/you sued and in no way can you legally retaliate because hey, you were warned!

The ballpit minigame contains the most hilarious yet awful sound when you miss, demonstrating exactly what the “liability” is. A little rough to dwell in when you realize kids have actually gotten hurt playing that way! :smith:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I gave Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator a try last night despite never playing any of the other FNaF games, and wrote a nice, long review on my site about why it's brilliant. Linking it instead of posting it here because people seem to be spoiler-tagging stuff, but I also posted the review in whole in the Steam thread if you ever wander over there.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I used to be pretty drat good at FNAF but with this recent game I can NOT get past night 3. Springtrap camps the right vent, then Freddy fuckin' Initial D's from wherever he is to the left vent and suplexes me. I swear I saw him on the motion detector on the top right corner, and I just heard the computer rapidly blipping as I was staring at Springtrap's fat rear end as Freddy did his thing. I think I might actually just be lame :(

also maybe it's because he comes up from the bottom of the screen but seriously, Springtrap's jumpscare makes me yelp every time and I hate him so much

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While the actual management portion of the game looks like fun and is well thought out, the office/vent section is probably the weakest and most feature lacking version of the mode in any of the FNAF games.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arcsquad12 posted:

While the actual management portion of the game looks like fun and is well thought out, the office/vent section is probably the weakest and most feature lacking version of the mode in any of the FNAF games.

I feel like since the audio thing already says if someone's in range of it, having the motion detector show where the animatronics are, or at least showing them for longer would make it better. As it is, motion detector is basically useless since it only shows when someone moves, and someone is PROBABLY in the vent already if you're checking the detector.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i see nightcry decided to nuke/roll back my save

i had saved several times and now i'm beginning where the guy gets pulled into the soda machine

so bad lmao

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Too Shy Guy posted:

I gave Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator a try last night despite never playing any of the other FNaF games, and wrote a nice, long review on my site about why it's brilliant. Linking it instead of posting it here because people seem to be spoiler-tagging stuff, but I also posted the review in whole in the Steam thread if you ever wander over there.

Nice review, I appreciate your spoilers being more about the nature of the game and the gameplay mechanics than any lore possibilities some fans fixate on. When I reached the part of the game you refer to as a “bonus round” my immediate reaction was “ah-ha, this is a greed test, that’s so clever!”

I hope Scott discusses how long he spent rendering the broken-down animatronics during those phases because being forced to stare them down while playing unsettling number station tones is the most disturbing art he’s produced. I don’t get particularly scared of horror games but I was surprised how much I disliked looking at Funtime Freddy and especially when Springtrap sits upright.

“Thanks for letting me join the p-party. Hope I d-don’t disappoint.” :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am curious about one thing in the new FNAF game's story, though. So Springtrap is in the game, and we know the corpse and soul of William Afton, purple guy, is in the suit. Does Baby know about Springtrap's origins? Because she and the other anomatronics believe the new building is a gift to them from her "daddy", who would be William Afton, as Baby has the soul of Afton's daughter in her. So how would she fall for the trap set by cassette guy, thinking it was her father, if her father is already in there with her?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So now that Hello Neighbor is out, it seems like it's still a terrible piece of poo poo according to Steam reviews. Any goons try it out?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

So now that Hello Neighbor is out, it seems like it's still a terrible piece of poo poo according to Steam reviews. Any goons try it out?

Reading a review the game goes from stealth to platformer when you hit the basement and now I want to watch a documentary about how this game got so hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

al-azad posted:

Reading a review the game goes from stealth to platformer when you hit the basement and now I want to watch a documentary about how this game got so hosed.

Its not very complicated. They realized that youtube LPers would do a new video everytime they put out a lovely new version of the game, so they kept cranking them out with less and less quality control.