Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Aramek posted:

They're worse, because corporate stuff is inherently better than indie stuff.

Are you measuring value with money, or some other abstract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Whoever runs a show about the Great War ought to understand that every victory comes at the cost of a sacrifice.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aramek posted:

They're worse, because corporate stuff is inherently better than indie stuff.

lol

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

doverhog posted:

Are you measuring value with money, or some other abstract?

Higher production values?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Whoever runs a show about the Great War ought to understand that every victory comes at the cost of a sacrifice.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Money spent on production is a pretty terrible measuring stick.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah. Raking in several grand for making elf titties every so often, loving hell.

Guess I'm just frustrated because of the amount of people I see whinging about their poverty while bringing in that sort of money, and I'm on a fraction of it with a nurse's job. How the gently caress do you piss away that much money with nothing to show for it.

Sincerely, don't ever EVER work in UK mental health, if you saw how much money the average person in supported accommodation pisses away on gently caress all it would make your blood instantly turn to steam.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Money spent on production is a pretty terrible measuring stick.

If a movie is trying to be artistic for the sake of art, then yes the money spent on it and how much it makes doesn't matter. But if it's meant to make money, a movie that can't secure funding and/or doesn't make money, it is inherently worse from that perspective than the ones that do.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You are introducing a whole new variable here, profitability. It's ok, it's a far more valuable metric than production budget.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We've finally come to a point in capitalism where the people that consume media both willingly donate for it's creation and purchase it later. It's beautiful in a way.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A system where people directly pay the creator and interact with them is far more wholesome than the entire movie business.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

You must be real dumb when you can't understand children's films.

Granted

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Caddyshack 2 is better than Caddyshack

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I miss PCOS. But I know why it had to be done.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Stranger Things season 2 was poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mackers posted:

Stranger Things season 1 wasn't much good either. I didn't dislike it, I just don't get the hype. Everyone was going absolutely crazy over it and it was... fine, I guess?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Stranger Things season 1 wasn't much good either. I didn't dislike it, I just don't get the hype. Everyone was going absolutely crazy over it and it was... fine, I guess?

It's because of all the nerd/nostalgia pandering, that's pretty much it. Take away all the D&D references and set it in 2017 and we probably wouldn't be talking about it. Both seasons were pretty good especially for a netflix exclusive (if you think it's bad, try checking out a random netflix exclusive show you never heard of), but the hype about it is crazy. I think that's just how people think you have to act when you like a show though (see also: game of thrones, breaking bad...). Like there's no "this show is OK" middle ground, it's either OMG AMAZING or "worst loving trash I've seen in my life".

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mackers posted:

Me and my friend tried to push through it but there is just so much poo poo and so little to care about. We tapped out when Eleven turned goth anarchist and came out to a slow motion music video

Season one was fine as a nostalgia... tribute or whatever and was actually cohesive and had a mystery that I felt was compelling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Radg-Kn0jLs

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Dec 10, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aramek posted:

I miss PCOS. But I know why it had to be done.

Did he get banned?

He was a real d bag but I gotta admit he was pretty funny sometimes.

Tiggum posted:

Stranger things 1 was a mid tier episode of the X-Files stretched into 10 hours.

All the Spielberg/Stephen King nostalgia pandering stuff has rubbed me the wrong way dating back to Super 8. Super 8 stranger things, It... They all just feel so calculated. Like "remember when movies were like this? Well, we are just going to make exactly that and you idiots are going to lap it up"

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Dec 10, 2017

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
I know for a fact PCOS has posted in this thread within the last 10 pages

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Stranger Things but my biggest problem is with the monsters. Theyre too boring. The Demogorgon is just a slenderman-looking thing. The Mind Flayer is just a shadow thing. And the hive-mind with the "demodogs" was just uninspired. Like, come on, the Duffer Brothers couldnt have come up with something better than that?? I wish the monsters were more strange. Its called "stranger things", make things really weird and strange. These entities are supposed to be Lovecraftian things from another dimension.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I really enjoyed season one and stopped watching season two after three episodes because I found it pandering and formulaic. I guess that's an unpopular opinion here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Eela6 posted:

Here's another opinion: I have become very suspicious of loud moral crusaders in general. It is so often the case that the loudest voices against a particular vice are secretly the worst offenders. They're so drat concerned about NOT being seen as something....

The most tumblr-rear end lady I ever met has a history of sexual harassing both men and women, and everyone knows a nasty story about a self-proclaimed 'feminist ally' [date rapist] in their local community. It's gotten to the point where if someone talks about how feminist someone is or isn't, that's a red flag. Moralizers on the right wing turning out to be exactly the kind of sex weird they need to be in office to "protect against" have an even longer history.

I want to be clear here, I'm not trying to make a 90s slacker 'caring is bad' point. But people who really devote themselves to a good cause tend to have some room for subtlety and nuance, and actually tend to engage with the concept beyond just trying to use it for social currency.

Shalom buddy. You post like an rear end in a top hat. Maybe try winning the struggle before you start with the purges?

:staredog:

Hi sorry

I was drunkposting like an idiot, sorry for the meltdown.

I’d like to read PHUOs in peace, just sorry everyone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pidan posted:

I really enjoyed season one and stopped watching season two after three episodes because I found it pandering and formulaic. I guess that's an unpopular opinion here.

Only in the sense that finding this season pandering but not the first is kind of weird

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked the first season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Only in the sense that finding this season pandering but not the first is kind of weird

Its..........burllssssssshit.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Stranger things 2 was killed for me because netflix released it all in one, rather than weekly.

Part of the appeal of the first one, was having a group of friends over, and watching the episode, then talking about it for the week. I got to think over what had happened, and look forward to what was going to happen. I was really invested, there was a legitimate desire to see what happened next.

With the second one, we binge watched it in batches of 4 or so episodes, over a few days; and I honestly do not remember any of the plot at all. It was completely unmemorable.

So phuo; releasing an entire season all at once to appease the bingers is bad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What? Season 1 was also released all at once.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Stranger things 2 was killed for me because netflix released it all in one, rather than weekly.

Part of the appeal of the first one, was having a group of friends over, and watching the episode, then talking about it for the week. I got to think over what had happened, and look forward to what was going to happen. I was really invested, there was a legitimate desire to see what happened next.

With the second one, we binge watched it in batches of 4 or so episodes, over a few days; and I honestly do not remember any of the plot at all. It was completely unmemorable.

So phuo; releasing an entire season all at once to appease the bingers is bad

All Netflix shows are released all at once. You guys made that decision on purpose or you’re thinking of something else.

EDIT: also nobody is making you binge on stuff. It's not that hard to avoid things being spoiled for you.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Dec 11, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Say what you will about the nostalgia pandering, the first season of Stranger Things had some great performances propping it up. Season two tried to spread the load around a bit more and predictably it didn't pan out too well.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm going to get ahead of this and JIC use spoiler tags because I haven't seen it yet. No one has said anything tagworthy yet, just a request! You won't be probated or anything if you don't but please be kind :shobon:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I'm going to get ahead of this and JIC use spoiler tags because I haven't seen it yet. No one has said anything tagworthy yet, just a request! You won't be probated or anything if you don't but please be kind :shobon:

Arya goes blind!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

George Gently dies in the final episode.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Losing Net Neutrality in the U.S. probably isnt the end of the world. Even within the US, its not apocalyptic.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Season one was pandering to nostalgia of a bunch of 80s tropes. Season two was pandering to positive memories of season one of the same show. It's not good when a show starts jerking off to itself let alone in the second season

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hi sorry

I was drunkposting like an idiot, sorry for the meltdown.

I’d like to read PHUOs in peace, just sorry everyone.

Hey, thank you for coming back and apologizing - I mean it. Happy Hannukkah.

Eela6 has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Dec 15, 2017

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

All Netflix shows are released all at once. You guys made that decision on purpose or you’re thinking of something else.

EDIT: also nobody is making you binge on stuff. It's not that hard to avoid things being spoiled for you.

Not all netflix shows are released all at once (though most are); and I may be misremembering, but I'm fairly certain ST1 was released weekly. E: apparently not, guess we had more self control back then.

It's not worried about spoilers (there was nothing in ST2 worth spoiling); it's the blurring together of episodes.

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Dec 15, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blue Star posted:

Losing Net Neutrality in the U.S. probably isnt the end of the world. Even within the US, its not apocalyptic.
Not in the short term, but I think it will have serious implications on innovation and the ease of establishing new Internet services in the long term, depending on how much of an rear end in a top hat the ISPs want to be. The lack of net neutrality regulation basically gives them the legal right to blackmail content providers, or form exclusivity deals with specific providers.

They might not do it (though you might have more faith in their good will than I do), but net neutrality regulation is still an important safeguard.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Bernie can reverse the decision in a few years time right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Not all netflix shows are released all at once (though most are);

Such as?

quote:

It's not worried about spoilers (there was nothing in ST2 worth spoiling); it's the blurring together of episodes.

Again, nobody is making you binge the shows. Like you alluded to, you just need self control.