Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dear Monster Hunter thread:

As someone that barely put hours into MH Freedom I launched the beta, selected the big sword, a cute palico, a great jagras as prey.

Tracked the jagras and started to swing my huge rear end sword (I can lock on!), dodge and knock down my prey. My palico runs around helping and I kill the big lizard.

I loving love this and I'm buying it day one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Still on my dumb birthday date with my dumb wife. Glad you guys are having fun. Sounds like there's some. New things to learn but game is good.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Lmao at how slow hbg dragon ammo travels

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I noticed that sometimes for switch axe on elemental discharge your hunter will hop on a monster part and try to cut it. Do any of the other weapons do stuff like that?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Could someone explain the basics of dual blades to me? I hit things a lot, the bar goes red, I go into demon mode until stamina runs out, then repeat over again. The ingame tutorial wasn't too clear on it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That seems to be it.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

So just how bad is the performance on the normal PS4?

I don't really want to wait for the PC version but I also don't really want to get a PS4 pro, unless we're talking like constant <20fps, MH generations level of framerate shittiness.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

exquisite tea posted:

Not a joke, just annoyed by how loose the target locking is. Oh you sidestepped the bad guy's charge, that must mean you wanted to put away your weapons and lose targeting.

There's a setting in the game options for auto sheathe, sounds like that's causing you to put your weapon away if the monster gets a bit too far away. It's never been in the previous games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Could someone explain the basics of dual blades to me? I hit things a lot, the bar goes red, I go into demon mode until stamina runs out, then repeat over again. The ingame tutorial wasn't too clear on it.

If it's anything like the handheld versions you also roll/dash a lot and keep hitting nonstop but have good element and status options for your blades. Also you can bypass bouncing while powered up so hitting reinforced spots is a possibility.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

megalodong posted:

I don't really want to wait for the PC version but I also don't really want to get a PS4 pro, unless we're talking like constant <20fps, MH generations level of framerate shittiness.

I have a slim and don't really notice the dropoff when I'm in the middle of things. I don't think it's all that significant though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You hit things a lot, go into demon mode (which eats up your stamina) to hit things even better, then when your red bar is full you leave demon mode to enter ARCHDEMON MODE which lets you hit things even more better.

If it's like previous games, anyways. I can't play the MHW demo since I don't have a PS4, a fact that makes me incredibly sad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Meldonox posted:

I have a slim and don't really notice the dropoff when I'm in the middle of things. I don't think it's all that significant though.

Yea I'm seeing people say they get chugging and all but I'm on a plain ol normal PS4 and it's fine.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man even with the pro on favor framerate mode monsters that are real far away drop to like 15 fps and start looking like some harry hausen poo poo

rest of the game looks incredible tho

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Lbg's damage is all about those mines. Here's a way to win if you've got 30 seconds left

https://giant.gfycat.com/ZanyQuaintHoopoe.webm

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

You hit things a lot, go into demon mode (which eats up your stamina) to hit things even better, then when your red bar is full you leave demon mode to enter ARCHDEMON MODE which lets you hit things even more better.

If it's like previous games, anyways. I can't play the MHW demo since I don't have a PS4, a fact that makes me incredibly sad.

Actually demon mode is better than archdemon mode, at the expense of stamina. Archdemon is kind of your fallback while your stamina is recharging, assuming you did well enough in demon mode to fill the meter before you ran out of stamina.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Harrow posted:

Insect glaive and switch axe are both very cool. I'm pretty much a Monster Hunter newbie and I just did the intermediate mission solo with the switch axe. Only had four minutes to spare so that was cutting it a little close.

I haven't tried the insect glaive in an actual mission yet, but I also want to try out the bow. Hm.

Definitely, you picked two pro-rear end weapons. Insect Glaive has somewhat of a learning curve, but the ability to pole vault up onto a monster at a moment's notice is insanely valuable. Upper level glaives can also put out a ton of fast damage. I'm definitely going back to it at retail, since they removed the class mixups from the latest 3DS game that allowed any weapon user to hop on pop.

Just about every weapon is good, so don't be afraid to experiment, but those two are top tier.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

megalodong posted:

It's not stable on a normal PS4, but it's definitely better than the handheld games by a wide stretch. I'm considering upgrading, but it's not bad enough that I'd say it's a genuine concern.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just eyeballing it I'd say it went down to 15 when two monsters were next to each other, and averaged about 25 the rest of the time

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Unlucky7 posted:

I noticed that sometimes for switch axe on elemental discharge your hunter will hop on a monster part and try to cut it. Do any of the other weapons do stuff like that?

This is a (new) switch axe mechanic. As you land hits in sword mode a blue outline around your gauge in the top left fills up. When it's full the blade turns red and using elemental discharge will do a pseudo-mount thing on whatever part you hit. It is amazing and breathes new life into an already great weapon!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

megalodong posted:

It's an acceptable 30, not perfect but it is a beta that's due out in over a months time after all. No frameskipping of the brain-hurting kind like in the earliest releases of Destiny etc.

e: Had moments of triple-monster action but it was seriously solid. Maybe mileage varies depending on your OG? Mine's one of the final non-Slim 500gb models

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Triarii posted:

Actually demon mode is better than archdemon mode, at the expense of stamina. Archdemon is kind of your fallback while your stamina is recharging, assuming you did well enough in demon mode to fill the meter before you ran out of stamina.

Yup.

Demon Mode has the highest damage and new moves. Particularly the spinning dashing move (O) and the Demon Dance (Triangle + O). Demon Dance is the highest DPS move for Dual Swords but locks you in place for a long while so use it when you have a large opening. Demon Mode drains stamina but when you fill the gauge and leave Demon Mode you enter...

Archdemon Mode. You retain the spinning dash move which is very good because that move is very awesome. You also get a mini Demon Dace which is also nice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dual blades have always been great about elemental and status effect because you hit so many times. And then keep hitting.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Emalde posted:

It's not stable on a normal PS4, but it's definitely better than the handheld games by a wide stretch. I'm considering upgrading, but it's not bad enough that I'd say it's a genuine concern.

MrLonghair posted:

It's an acceptable 30, not perfect but it is a beta that's due out in over a months time after all. No frameskipping of the brain-hurting kind like in the earliest releases of Destiny etc.

e: Had moments of triple-monster action but it was seriously solid. Maybe mileage varies depending on your OG? Mine's one of the final non-Slim 500gb models

Meldonox posted:

Thanks.

I guess I'll just enable ps+ for a month and download it to see. My PS4 is a fairly "new" old one, so hopefully it won't be unacceptable.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

ReWinter posted:

This is a (new) switch axe mechanic. As you land hits in sword mode a blue outline around your gauge in the top left fills up. When it's full the blade turns red and using elemental discharge will do a pseudo-mount thing on whatever part you hit. It is amazing and breathes new life into an already great weapon!

Fyi, it's called the Zero Sum Elemental Discharge and it's metal as gently caress.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

drat, they really gotta tone down how often monsters run, or how far they run. Trying to fight Rathalos feels like a loop of 30 seconds of action followed by two minutes of running all over the place.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mčre
College Slice
Charge Blade has been sweet, but the Charged Elemental Slash (?) to move power from your shield to your sword is really slow. Not sure how much damage it adds to attacks, but the rest of it has been smooth.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The gunlance kept its shotgun twirl into slam :toot:

Because of the new forward dodge, it's a lot trickier to do the spin-around backdash towards a monster :confuoot:

Still curious to see how exactly, what with charged shots being changed into pile bunkers, how the other two shell types compare to one another

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

megalodong posted:

Thanks.

I guess I'll just enable ps+ for a month and download it to see. My PS4 is a fairly "new" old one, so hopefully it won't be unacceptable.

My PS4 I feel like is old as poo poo and I noticed no real slowdown. Had at most two large monsters fighting at a time, not three that you can get, but I had a ton of fun and was lost as poo poo.

It was really weird to feel lost in a MH game again, it’s been so long since we have had completely new areas and such.

Of note I hated Generations so that last iteration I went hard in the paint on was 4U.

Got all the quests done in single player and cannot get a match made quest going at all. Either some stupid error I was too lazy to look up, or I get in and the quest host cancels the room shortly after. :sigh:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

megalodong posted:

Thanks.

I've played a bit with a 1TB slim and I didn't notice big fps drops. The game ran enough to enjoy it and looks fantastic to boot.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I think I'm going to hold out for the PC release of this. I'd hope it'd look and run best on PC if it doesn't wind up being a lovely port.

ReWinter posted:

I was wondering what that was. I didn't actually notice it until I was loving around in training mode, and needless to say it doesn't activate against the barrels and crap.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Triarii posted:

drat, they really gotta tone down how often monsters run, or how far they run. Trying to fight Rathalos feels like a loop of 30 seconds of action followed by two minutes of running all over the place.

The Rathalos World Tour is a time-honored MH tradition!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I like the long 2h blade. I feel less cumbersome about interface details when I am using it, and for whatever reason, I get exhausted using it (??). It flows better than other weapons.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

megalodong posted:

Seems fine to me

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gotta say, I think the dual blades won me over when I used O to cut up the side of the Expert boss only to have it then lead into autoclimbing up a tree and then following it up with just pinwheeling down the thing's back in a flurry of slashes :allears:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Mr E posted:

Why have I never used the hunting horn before? It's loving awesome.

Welcome to my world, child.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So after looking around, I read that the matchmaker is bullshit and just use search by criteria. This however gave me a game where it started to chunk hard at a bunch of aponoths, but I chalked it up to bad internet on the host, not a ps4 regular vs pro.

If there is legitimate claims to needing a pro, I’m way more likely to simply buy on PC since I’m building a new one shortly after Christmas. I just worry that the PC port will be poo poo, since the last few pc ports of games I’ve been even mildly interested in have been a poo poo show. Like the newer Arkham games and such.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The PC port is going to be a good while after the console release simply because Capcom wants it to be the best it can be, so they're going to port it internally and optimize it to be able to run on a lot of systems.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I just worry that the PC port will be poo poo, since the last few pc ports of games I’ve been even mildly interested in have been a poo poo show. Like the newer Arkham games and such.

There's no need to worry about this, Capcom is super good at ports and the engine the game uses was made with multiplatform in mind. It shouldn't even take that long to release on PC, I'm more worried about delays for marketing reasons than anything technical.

WildChyld
Dec 20, 2003
Entirely too metal for one hand: \mm/
I’ve been loving around with the heavy and light bowgun in MP and they loving own. It is insanely satisfying mortaring the poo poo out of monsters as they’re stunned on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Andrast posted:

I'm just going to hit monsters on the head with a hammer like always

same