Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rough Lobster posted:

Just cast whoever can sell the movements and voice best, like Vader basically.

You don't really need to see Doom before he had the mask so you could even get a big guy who's a good physical actor and then have someone else doing the voice if you wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but as recently as 2006 it's still about magic gypsy witches and demons.

Well when I was talking about doing better I was talking about the hypothetical movie doing so

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I think he's responding to my comment that Marvel is casting more diversely than others, that the last two major heroes cast (ignoring Boseman because I think they're trying to make a point here) are white, though while yes, Spider-Man is played by a white actor, the movie is full of people of colour and none of them have being a PoC as their defining character trait. As someone said in the BSS thread back when Homecoming was announced "it looks like it actually takes place in Queens!".

Mordo is a major part of Doctor Strange, as Is Wong, and while they kinda hosed up on the Ancient one (though I completely understand the directors reasoning behind it) they at least destroyed the sagely asian manservent stereotype with Wong.

You know much like the Mandarin thing in IM3, I saw several discussions complaining that Mordo wasn't another white guy on other forums and Fb groups. I'm still kind of pissy that Marvel threw those assholes a bone with Hail to the King.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think Marvel is trying to cast more diverse because they basically are the top movie studio, but man, the early movies are super loving white and Black Widow is basically there for sex appeal until Winter Soldier. And then how they forced out Jenkins on Thor 2 and re-wrote Portman's role to basically do nothing while at the same time forcing her to be in the film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think Marvel is trying to cast more diverse because they basically are the top movie studio, but man, the early movies are super loving white and Black Widow is basically there for sex appeal until Winter Soldier. And then how they forced out Jenkins on Thor 2 and re-wrote Portman's role to basically do nothing while at the same time forcing her to be in the film.

Watching IM2 is kind of painful whenever Widow is in costume. Like, she's gorgeous but god drat were those scenes poorly thought out.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Watching IM2 is kind of painful

No more really needs to be said.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

No more really needs to be said.

Hey now,

Sam Rockwell.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Jessica Jones Season 2 has a teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgOwllnPJwo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kind of lukewarm on this after Defenders ended up being a dud.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Kind of lukewarm on this after Defenders ended up being a dud.

It all depends on who's in charge.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lurdiak posted:

It all depends on who's in charge.

The same people who made the first season.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hopefully they learned how to write not-terrible lines of dialog or even somewhat decent third acts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Third act would've been much improved if Purple Man actually turned purple.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

After watching the trailer it seems...okay, and Jessica Jones is still one of my favorite Marvel superheroes ever, but there's still some weird tonal thing that's kind of off with the trailer. I dunno. Maybe it'll sort itself out in longer looks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jessica Jones probably had the strongest third act of any of the Netflix series, it was just bloated in the middle.

I'm reasonably confident in the season 2 because it's the same people as season 1 and the best part of Defenders was just her and Matt Murdock investigating poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Skwirl posted:

Jessica Jones probably had the strongest third act of any of the Netflix series, it was just bloated in the middle.

You mean the third act that relied on one person being the stupidest moron on the loving planet to occur? That one?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were the best-received series of the bunch, even if both of them go somewhat south in the end.

I'll watch anyway, nothing can hurt me after Iron Fist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Purple Man getting super juice to make him EVEN MORE PURPLE MAN was really unnecessary and not a very interesting way to raise the stakes. But I do agree that the parts of the third act that weren't that were really good.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

You mean the third act that relied on one person being the stupidest moron on the loving planet to occur? That one?

I actually don't even know who you mean.

Samuringa posted:

I'll watch anyway, nothing can hurt me after Iron Fist.

I maintain that Defenders was a worse show than Iron Fist. And please don't take that as me going to bat for Iron Fist.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

I actually don't even know who you mean.

The lawyer lady is explained to, in extremely specific detail, by JJ what Kilgrave's powers are, that he's a liar, a rapist, and a manipulator, and can mind-control people, and she's convinced anyways because her divorce is going so badly that she decides to free Kilgrave so he can mind-control her wife into signing the divorce papers.

Basically, she either thinks that he can't actually mind-control people (despite having no reason to distrust JJ at that point, but we can take it as "She doesn't buy mind-control as a superpower"), in which case why would she ever let him go for the explicit purpose of mind-controlling her soon-to-be-ex-wife, or she thinks he can, in which case why would she ever honestly believe that he wouldn't just mind-control her the first chance he got.

It's sincerely one of the dumbest loving things I've seen in any superhero-based media. It's the worst. It's terrible.

ed: It's sincerely a plot hole that's completely unexplained in-universe why it would happen beyond "this one character temporarily became unable to have the barest minimum level of common sense, despite her character up to that point being defined by her competence, intelligence, and general level of logic and reason"

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 9, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I maintain that Defenders was a worse show than Iron Fist. And please don't take that as me going to bat for Iron Fist.

Jesus, that's like asking me who my least loved child is. I loathe them both equally (even if in my secret heart of hearts it's Defenders)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The lawyer lady is explained to, in extremely specific detail, by JJ what Kilgrave's powers are, that he's a liar, a rapist, and a manipulator, and can mind-control people, and she's convinced anyways because her divorce is going so badly that she decides to free Kilgrave so he can mind-control her wife into signing the divorce papers.

Basically, she either thinks that he can't actually mind-control people (despite having no reason to distrust JJ at that point, but we can take it as "She doesn't buy mind-control as a superpower"), in which case why would she ever let him go for the explicit purpose of mind-controlling her soon-to-be-ex-wife, or she thinks he can, in which case why would she ever honestly believe that he wouldn't just mind-control her the first chance he got.

It's sincerely one of the dumbest loving things I've seen in any superhero-based media. It's the worst. It's terrible.

ed: It's sincerely a plot hole that's completely unexplained in-universe why it would happen beyond "this one character temporarily became unable to have the barest minimum level of common sense, despite her character up to that point being defined by her competence, intelligence, and general level of logic and reason"

It's not like people making deals with the devil and then having it backfire on them is an incredibly common occurrence in fiction or anything.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Skwirl posted:

It's not like people making deals with the devil and then having it backfire on them is an incredibly common occurrence in fiction or anything.

There's a difference between "a deal with the devil" and "doing something that, if you have even the slightest modicum of common sense, you wouldn't do from a sheer cause-and-effect standpoint".

Like literally a Deus Ex Machina cop bursting into the secret lair, somehow, and deciding to free their "prisoner" would've been more coherent than what they went with. It's loving indefensibly bad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This looks boring.

Who is the baddie?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Anyone been keeping up with Runaways?

It's generally been pretty enjoyable, though I'm getting the impression that none of this is being directed by anyone who knows the least bit about directing action scenes. The "triumphant" team superpower reveal in that last episode was...........oof. Rough.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah I liked everything up until that moment. I can't remember that last time I witnessed such a nosedive.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like its actually being hurt by them toneing down the super powered/magical aspects of it. The reveal that the Pride was just working to heal just some guy was extremely underwhelming.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm an episode or so behind, got distracted by some other shows and NieR. Not surprised to hear the Schwartz/Savage duo may not produce the best action scenes. They've never done much more than rich kids having a scuffle or a gun going off. Hopefully they learn from the experience, or bring someone on board next season to help with action scenes. Runaways shouldn't have a lot of them tbh, but it would be nice if they were at least fun to look at.

e: actually did chuck have any 'action' scenes? it's like the only schwartz show I never watched.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It wasn’t an action scene.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh. Just powers stuff? The way people described it in the TVIV thread made it seem like it may be. Still not surprised if it looked jank tho.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It was a scene where they awkwardly used their abilities one by one to rescue their friend from a guy with a gun who also shot at them. A confrontation using super powers and a gun. A struggle between superpowered teenagers and an armed criminal.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be an action scene. :v: I dunno if we can rightly call it that, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Chase leaping out of his car and fisting the gangster was pretty hilarious looking.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I’m a fan of Karolina ripping off her bracelet and throwing it to the side.

Casually pocketing it isn’t as dramatic, I know, but don’t be the one that gets your team killed searching for your accessory later because you wanted to look cool now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

twistedmentat posted:

Chase leaping out of his car and fisting the gangster was pretty hilarious looking.

Phrasing?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol walking dead killed carl because his actor is going to college

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Nice job using spoiler tags so no one can tell what you're spoiling.

Also, people still watch Walking Dead?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

Not only does the gang banger wait for Chase to pull up, get out of the car, run up to the group, and then blast him through some shrubs, he then just casually walks back into frame unscathed to finally open fire.
The whole sequence was just...it was like they forgot to write it and just improvised it on set... and then let a small child direct.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao yet Judith still lives?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

http://ew.com/tv/2017/12/11/the-walking-dead-chandler-riggs-dad/

Lmao spoilers dont click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Caught up on Flash and did they just pull a plot point from Get Out? Also Barry remains the worst.

Also caught up on Gifted and the show continues to be pretty good despite itself. Also, did the kid playing the boy Fenris have a major growth spurt between episodes because I don't remember being that much taller than his sister. Anyway, I liked how the show used the Cuckoos even if it was kind of telegraphed in episodes ago.