Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

For those new to the series I'd like to mention that a big part of getting into it is finding a weapon or weapons that click with you. The weapons are all really strong in their own ways and the balance between them is generally very good, so the "best" weapon is often whatever you feel most comfortable with. Definitely experiment.

(Horn and charge blade are the best weapons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Funny way to spell gunlance, there

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'll accept this or greatsword as well.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ciaphas posted:

Gunlance being so drat satisfying is one of the reasons I've always had a hard time enjoying other MH-esque games.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

In all the excitement, it seems I forgot to ever Get Good at Monster Hunter.

ran out of time first try on the Barroth quest

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Torn between switch axe, heavy bowgun, hammer and greatsword. They all feel awesome to use

e: and now I just tried gunlance and that's great too

Bad Parenting fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 10, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Play them all, silly. Everyone should play everything. Everything is fun and good.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

First time playing a Monster Hunter. Was kinda overwhelmed with all the consumables and utility items, but was able to kill the 3 bosses and rathalos in a group. Worked on diablos a bit but was unable to finish him in the time limit. The way rathalos moves around the map is extremely annoying and I hope some of the other maps aren't vertical hellscapes.
It was pretty fun even when we were losing and getting wiped repeatedly. I feel like there's not enough ingame info to explain some of the nuance with the weapons - like what exactly each of the bowgun ammos is good for, and elemental damage seemed inscrutable as a fresh player.
I ended up liking hammer the best, mostly because I still felt pretty mobile while unsheathed. The monsters move around so much, that several weapons feel very clunky when you have to sheath-dash-unsheath over and over as monsters charge/fly/burrow away from you.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Waffleman_ posted:

The PC port is going to be a good while after the console release simply because Capcom wants it to be the best it can be, so they're going to port it internally and optimize it to be able to run on a lot of systems.

Well good news bad news situation then. I didn't realize it wasn't simultaneous on all platforms. Inevitably I'll likely just double dip at that point. Assuming it'll be on the Steam distro, I already have over $30 just sitting in my account from gifts.

mightygerm posted:

First time playing a Monster Hunter. Was kinda overwhelmed with all the consumables and utility items, but was able to kill the 3 bosses and rathalos in a group. Worked on diablos a bit but was unable to finish him in the time limit. The way rathalos moves around the map is extremely annoying and I hope some of the other maps aren't vertical hellscapes.
It was pretty fun even when we were losing and getting wiped repeatedly. I feel like there's not enough ingame info to explain some of the nuance with the weapons - like what exactly each of the bowgun ammos is good for, and elemental damage seemed inscrutable as a fresh player.
I ended up liking hammer the best, mostly because I still felt pretty mobile while unsheathed. The monsters move around so much, that several weapons feel very clunky when you have to sheath-dash-unsheath over and over as monsters charge/fly/burrow away from you.

A lot of the weapons have moves that dodge as they attack, so you get more mobility with more knowledge of the weapon move set too. Not to say I don't love the hammer. I did end up falling back on my old standby the Charge blade though. Love that thing.

The damage numbers are both interesting and worrying to me. On one hand, it's really neat to see that kind of feedback instantly on how hard you're hitting. But also, it makes me realize when I'm not hitting my potential and constantly getting upset when I miss those BIG numbers on a hit.

Especially when the.. 'Expert' monster, forgot it's name, it was sleeping and the god drat hammer hit it accidentally on the upswing instead of the smash!

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 10, 2017

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
With the hunting horn how do i make Attack Up L happen? I seem to keep procing small.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Moochewmoo posted:

With the hunting horn how do i make Attack Up L happen? I seem to keep procing small.

I'd need to double check but there should be a song list on the weapon info.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Moochewmoo posted:

i want to say it’s either white red red or white white red with (s) already up

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Did they remove the Gunlance heat management stuff?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

empathe posted:

Did they remove the Gunlance heat management stuff?

Yes :peanut:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'll be buying this. Ranged weapons are actually fun. Combat feels a lot less about fighting the loving camera now!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Norns posted:

Ranged weapons are actually fun.

Yes :peanut:

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Hot drat!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I too am looking forward to trying guns I bounced off of before

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

empathe posted:

Hot drat!

between that and being able to dodge (does it give iframes?) forward and the extra spike shot thing after a slam Gunlance feels Super Good now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sadly the demo and i Have failed to convince any of my irl crew that MH is good, and so I will be alone / with strangers and goons for this one too :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh, Rathalos is the third quest monster? poo poo, I'm not gonna be able to solo that in 20 minutes.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

enojy posted:

Oh, Rathalos is the third quest monster? poo poo, I'm not gonna be able to solo that in 20 minutes.

Rath is in the third quest but not the main objective.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

enojy posted:

I got the impression that Rath is along for the ride but the actual quest monster is some new t-rex wyvern thing

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Ciaphas posted:

I got the impression that Rath is along for the ride but the actual quest monster is some new t-rex wyvern thing

There's also a Plesioth and Diablos on quest 2

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

How do I invite someone to a private match?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I screwed around in the training area for a bit since I've been out all day and my friends are done for today.

Fun as poo poo. Cannot wait for real hunts. I legit want to play LBG and Bow now, it's weird.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I’ve never played Monster Hunter and want to throw my comments in before I catch up on the thread.

I did the first quest using the big hammer weapon. Once I realized combo attacks were listed on screen, I got the hang of it. The attack buttons are kind of fighting my instincts and using items is a bit frustrating. The item use animation is very easy to interrupt and it’s really unclear to me when exactly i’ve started the action.

Quest 2 was a mess the first time. I used the jawbone thing and enjoyed it for a while. I fought some packs of enemies but wasted too much time and got chain-hosed by the underground thing.

I tried again with the dual daggers and felt good with the extra mobility, due to short attack animations. They did okay at cracking armor off its legs and easily cut that whole tail off. Didn’t fare as well against more armored sections, but killed it well within time.

I’d like to switch up weapons and try them again, before the last mission.

You know what sold me on it though?

Cat raft. I’m in.

edit: Played in performance mode on a pro and didn’t notice any performance issues beyond my own

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ahaha, was just watching Rathalos on video and it makes me laugh how, despite the graphical fidelity, I can still recognize his shuffling turn before attacks. *target* *target* GO

MH3U, it's the same drat double turn animation (3:55)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwYLZv9f-t0&t=235s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm away from the PS4, what kind of bow does the demo give you? I remember liking that most of all the ranged options in MHGen

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Is there a reason to prefer lbg over hbg? Also how is the ammo crafting time tax

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I'm away from the PS4, what kind of bow does the demo give you? I remember liking that most of all the ranged options in MHGen

It's a Hunter's Bow with a bunch of ammo coatings.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

empathe posted:

It's a Hunter's Bow with a bunch of ammo coatings.

Suppose I meant to ask if it was one of the double shot, spread or arc bows. I vaguely remember that being a thing?

on the other hand maybe I want to give HBG and LBG another go and oohhh nooo it's happening again

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there a reason to prefer lbg over hbg? Also how is the ammo crafting time tax

The little mine spikes you can drop explode when monsters run over them, it's also incredibly mobile.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Atoramos posted:

How do I invite someone to a private match?

You need to give them your quest ID which should be listed at the top if you are the host.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bombadilillo posted:

In general, lbgs are WAY faster, more mobile, and tend to have more diverse elemental shot capacity.

Also their new circle button thing seems cool. I assume it's a mine?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So Rathalos can now do this bullshit

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/939677511134281729

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

I feel like this is actually a good inclusion. I always did want monsters to actually use the environment to their advantage like this. You're in THEIR territory after all.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Yeah, but if he lands you can pull this on him with small barrel bombs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Intoluene posted:

I feel like this is actually a good inclusion. I always did want monsters to actually use the environment to their advantage like this. You're in THEIR territory after all.

Yea as much as I 100% will go 'oh gently caress you' if that happens to me I'm actually very into the monster using 'their turf' as a thing to worry about. The whole atmosphere of MH has always been 'we're very much, at best, just a small part of the greater world of monsters and poo poo', it's cool to see that finally be represented beyond the simple 'now they can swing on vines and coil around pillars' stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tomie knows me posted:

Yeah, but if he lands you can pull this on him with small barrel bombs.

He'll even do it to himself sometimes without your help.