Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

business hammocks posted:

How’s he still married? I would have bet that anyone close to him would have been driven off long ago.

It can be very difficult to get out of abusive relationships once you're emotionally vested. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:yikes:
I was like totally on board with what he was saying and then somewhere in the middle it took a hard left

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, wow. That started out with a tone I was matching to his old skits, and then bam, right off the cliff. Guess all the faux-rage in his skits came from a very real place.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
He also said something to the effect of "Why do you worship your god when he puts you in those situations" shortly after a mass church shooting. Dude needs an intervention.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Leal posted:

He also said something to the effect of "Why do you worship your god when he puts you in those situations" shortly after a mass church shooting. Dude needs an intervention.

Yeah, he's directing that anger at the wrong people, namely victims.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 9, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s only one thing to say about Spoony, which is that he has a disease that will kill him if left untreated. He’s been attacking people close to him and self-destructing since at least the channel awesome anniversary movies. If anything he’s a very poignant reminder to get help if you need it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

business hammocks posted:

There’s only one thing to say about Spoony, which is that he has a disease that will kill him if left untreated. He’s been attacking people close to him and self-destructing since at least the channel awesome anniversary movies. If anything he’s a very poignant reminder to get help if you need it.

That's provided you can get help.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 10, 2017

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, wow. That started out with a tone I was matching to his old skits, and then bam, right off the cliff. Guess all the faux-rage in his skits came from a very real place.

I think I've been where Spoony is. This is prolly the scariest insight into him.

I really wanna hug the guy. :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I just feel bad for the guy, he's got a hosed up brain and it sounds like little access to treatment so he's just kinda imploding.

America, gently caress yea :911:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

That's provided you can get help.

Yep, america's poo poo and doesn't care about mental health almost at all, unless you have deep enough pockets for them to have to put any effort in. There's mountains of other people like him too that you just don't see, this is basically the end goal of rich shitheads trying to race our healthcare down as bad as they can, don't get help, just bootstrap your way up and if you can't do this calculatedly impossible task, go die in the gutter as quietly as possible please or at least take out some more of the poors with you when you go postal.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Genthil posted:

FeministFrequency gives a quick overview of gender representation in Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B-bnANSqhE

The video is a request for more women Contras in big franchise movies, there's a heartwarming hashtag recommended at one point, and the humour is awkward as gently caress. It's like self-parody of liberalism.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

Yep, america's poo poo and doesn't care about mental health almost at all, unless you have deep enough pockets for them to have to put any effort in. There's mountains of other people like him too that you just don't see, this is basically the end goal of rich shitheads trying to race our healthcare down as bad as they can, don't get help, just bootstrap your way up and if you can't do this calculatedly impossible task, go die in the gutter as quietly as possible please or at least take out some more of the poors with you when you go postal.

Just to be clear, I'm not posting these as a counter-argument or anything, I just thought it seemed related.

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/938492235334782976

https://twitter.com/SolBirdguy/status/939459798474547200
https://twitter.com/trilllizard666/status/939554745592684544

This one not related, but it caught my attention:
https://twitter.com/AboveUp/status/939600585246027776

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean he phrased it like an rear end in a top hat (HBomb? Never!) but HBomb isn't wrong that the whole "OH MY GOD WHAT WAS THE BABY IT'S SO WEIRD" overreaction is kinda silly considering the game trailers all seem to be screaming in your face "A MAJOR PART OF THE STORY IS THE CONNECTION TO YOUR INNER CHILD IN SOME FORM"

I have no idea what literally any of those other tweets are saying

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a Kojima game so if you're trying to predict the story now and not waiting about 10-12 years after release to truly understand it then you're being a fool

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, Phantom Pain's core themes were pretty clear from the trailers?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nerd spaces do have an issue with being able to parse meaning or themes in a work instead of going "woah this is crazy and makes NO SENSE", even to stuff where characters sit and exposit what the work is about.

Though that depends on how much blame you want to cast on viewers over the work itself, I guess.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 10, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I'm saying is this is the first time in years and years Kojima is spearheading a new IP and the man is notorious for absolutely loving with his audience. Trying to play smug and smarter than thou to some anonymous formless group of internet people excited for a piece of art is a pretty lovely thing to do. It's the "me: normal and legitimate thinker you: so CrAZy!!! and iLLLogicAL!!" meme but without the irony

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That's the thing, it's not 'smug and smarter than thou' to just look at a thing and point out common themes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sexpig by night posted:

That's the thing, it's not 'smug and smarter than thou' to just look at a thing and point out common themes.

I'm referring to the structure of his tweet. He could have done the first part without smugly looking down on other people for it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gamers suck and deserve to be insulted. Awful people imo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

Gamers suck and deserve to be insulted. Awful people imo.

I used to think this then I saw CineD posters

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kojima is a hack writer and none of his lovely stories are anywhere near as ~deep~ as his fanbase makes them out to be. he's about on the level of david cage, right down to making extremely stupid excuses for ridiculously oversexualizing his female characters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It is pretty amazing that nobody actually involved in this game has any idea what it's even about. Although at this point I'm not sure if they have actually worked on the game proper that much. I feel like we have like 5 more years of seeing these trailers before we see gameplay, knowing how Kojima is with deadlines.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

death stranding the video game doesn't exist and is just a cover for the romantic relationship between hideo kojima and mads mikkelsen

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Taintrunner posted:

I used to think this then I saw CineD posters
Sometimes. Not all the time though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Sometimes. Not all the time though.

*Ron Howard voice*

It was all the time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

death stranding the video game doesn't exist and is just a cover for the romantic relationship between hideo kojima and mads mikkelsen

hell I'll give that 60 bucks

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Jim Sterling is having a bit of a meltdown about Patreon:

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/939707057686614016

He's also considering other options:

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/939709489359572992

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i like the deleted patreon tweet promoting a metal health caretaker

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Motto posted:

Nerd spaces do have an issue with being able to parse meaning or themes in a work instead of going "woah this is crazy and makes NO SENSE", even to stuff where characters sit and exposit what the work is about.

Though that depends on how much blame you want to cast on viewers over the work itself, I guess.

Sorry, one sec, I was busy comping in muzzle flashes and gunshots to some footage where I wave a BB gun around, screaming because a movie just used a flashback.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I AM really shocked that Hbomb would act like a oval office towards anyone. I mean it's not like he'll call people trolls when they don't share his opinions when he was the ur-loving troll in this thread or anything. That clearly didn't happen and he didn't drive anyone away.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean moviegoers thought Inception was hard to understand so they're not exactly guiltless

financially racist posted:

kojima is a hack writer and none of his lovely stories are anywhere near as ~deep~ as his fanbase makes them out to be. he's about on the level of david cage, right down to making extremely stupid excuses for ridiculously oversexualizing his female characters.

MGS2 and 3 are legit good

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 10, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I maintain that MGS 2 isn't complex, it just suffers from 2 WILDLY differently paced stories being merged together, but both stories are pretty easy to follow.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I AM really shocked that Hbomb would act like a oval office towards anyone. I mean it's not like he'll call people trolls when they don't share his opinions when he was the ur-loving troll in this thread or anything. That clearly didn't happen and he didn't drive anyone away.

You're right, he didn't do any of that. I didn't know you had it in you!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

Whom did he drive away?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

All I've seen from the trailers is mpreg Norman Reedus and esophagus babies and psycho mantis ghosts in a crater, also invisible monsters with an olding aura and flappy robit arms I guess. So I dunno, "This is absolutely a clear cut case of showcasing the connection needed to your inner child you plebs!" feels kind of early for goofy Kojimbo poo poo that's probably not coming for some years more.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Whom did he drive away?

JesuOtaku. But hey, again obviously that didn't happen. All praise the glorious Hbomb and his tweets about how all gamers are dumb fucks

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Video game opinion: Kojima is great about experimenting with game mechanics, but his stories tend to be convoluted and nonsensical. Also, that thing with his female characters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

All I've seen from the trailers is mpreg Norman Reedus and esophagus babies and psycho mantis ghosts in a crater, also invisible monsters with an olding aura and flappy robit arms I guess. So I dunno, "This is absolutely a clear cut case of showcasing the connection needed to your inner child you plebs!" feels kind of early for goofy Kojimbo poo poo that's probably not coming for some years more.

For me it's the surrounding imagery of death and isolation that contrast with "here's a fuckin baby" that does it, but yea obviously it could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

JesuOtaku. But hey, again obviously that didn't happen. All praise the glorious Hbomb and his tweets about how all gamers are dumb fucks

I'm not seeing it. Looks like they had an argument, Jay O accepted HBomb's apology, and then Jay O proceeds to keep posting for months later, albeit sparsely?

• Locked thread