Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Powaqoatse posted:

sitcoms kind of need the stars to be terrible people though, otherwise the need for episodal conflict will make them the target of a cruel universe and people dont like that

theres a handful of good ones, but theyre rare

top 3 in no specific order
- arrested development
- seinfeld + curb your enthusiasm
- its always sunny in philadelphia

Rick and Morty is somewhere in there too, at least when it's not using its time to preach to the viewer about nihilism. Which it does a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One of the best comedies of all time is about an incredible doctor (but he's not Jesus Christ nor paid a heroes wage) who is relentlessly poo poo on by the world.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

One of the best comedies of all time is about an incredible doctor (but he's not Jesus Christ nor paid a heroes wage) who is relentlessly poo poo on by the world.
M*A*S*H*?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

EmmyOk posted:

who?

please dont say im right

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He even killed his best friend with a spade to end his suffering

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Seinfeld's thing was that they upended the typical sitcom format where conflicts were neatly solved at the end of the episode and the characters all hugged and learned a lesson. "No hugging, no learning" was actually a rule in the Seinfeld writers' room.

This is nothing special in sitcoms these days but back when Seinfeld first came out it it was a genuinely revolutionary.
Edit: Seinfeld premiered back in the late 80s when the top sitcoms were things like The Cosby Show, Roseanne, Cheers, The Golden Girls, Who's The Boss?, Night Court and ALF.

Roseanne was sometimes a bit darker than most sitcoms of the time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Randaconda posted:

Roseanne was sometimes a bit darker than most sitcoms of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwYo0w42r4

true

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

NorgLyle posted:

I always thought that Seinfeld's stand up bits from the show were intentionally tepid in service of the premise that, in the show, Jerry was just a working comedian doing random nightclubs and not a millionaire super comic. All of the characters (aside from Kramer) were supposed to be fairly unremarkable in the fantasy universe where they lived.

dog did you watch seinfeld when it was out? Jerry's poo poo sounds unfunny/lame now in 2017 but at the time those opening monologues were fuckin gold jerry, GOLD!!

Probably because when I was watching it as a kid I didn't really hear any other observational comics so his stuff was ironically very fresh

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Rick and Morty is somewhere in there too, at least when it's not using its time to preach to the viewer about nihilism. Which it does a lot.

I think the real thesis of Rick and Morty is what the therapist voiced by Susan Sarandon had to say about the hard work of relationships.

This is to say it's loving with the fandom. Rick is a pathetic figure not a heroic one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

abigserve posted:

dog did you watch seinfeld when it was out? Jerry's poo poo sounds unfunny/lame now in 2017 but at the time those opening monologues were fuckin gold jerry, GOLD!!

Probably because when I was watching it as a kid I didn't really hear any other observational comics so his stuff was ironically very fresh

no gently caress sake they were trash then too.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Powaqoatse posted:

no gently caress sake they were trash then too.

I have never disagreed with anyone so much on the internet before, it feels like I've been kicked in the stomach by a horse

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

abigserve posted:

I have never disagreed with anyone so much on the internet before, it feels like I've been kicked in the stomach by a horse

the show was good, the standup was awful, thems the breaks

i am sorry you were a bad child who liked the awful standup

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

This is to say it's loving with the fandom. Rick is a pathetic figure not a heroic one.

ah yes, clearly the creators who constantly emphasize how rick is the smartest person in all the universes ever are trying to portray him as a pathetic character

the best way they do this is by making him always get the upper hand on people he doesn't like and effortlessly overcome all odds

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I think the worst rick and morty discussions are the ones by people who don't even like the show. Why????

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im pretty sure any and all rick/morty discussion is the worst ever and i like the show.

theres two basic takes

A: rick is the smartest man yadda yadda, and this validates his antisocial behavior
B: same, but it doesnt validate it

i could roll a die and argue for a third reading too but i really dont like how intense people get about a cartoon for shutin reprobates.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Post your favorite comic: Or just talk about lovely sitcoms

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

trapped mouse posted:

ah yes, clearly the creators who constantly emphasize how rick is the smartest person in all the universes ever are trying to portray him as a pathetic character

the best way they do this is by making him always get the upper hand on people he doesn't like and effortlessly overcome all odds

That having power doesn't in itself make you happy or liked by anyone is sort of the point of Rick's character. The fact that a big chunk of the fandom thinks they're Rick is loving hilarious as a result

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Slimy Hog posted:

Post your favorite comic: Or just talk about lovely sitcoms

yea sorry i hosed up

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The latest SMBC "Comic"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Borges was a godly writer, whether fiction or fact. i much recommend

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

trapped mouse posted:

/

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Only about one in every thirty SMBC comics has a visual punchline anyway, the rest are just two people facing each other and emitting setups

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

If you ever want to become depressed as hell, find the patreon pages for poo poo webcomic and youtube people.

$6,634/month just from patreon donations. Bring on the nuclear holocaust, my things are in order.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Only syndicated comic artists should be allowed to get paid.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

smh if you need outside factors to get depressed

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Comptroll The Forums posted:

If you ever want to become depressed as hell, find the patreon pages for poo poo webcomic and youtube people.

$6,634/month just from patreon donations. Bring on the nuclear holocaust, my things are in order.

Other People?? Getting paid???????

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Remember that those guys generally do that sorta thing as a full-time job, which means they're self employed so they're playing for insurance totally out of pocket, there's a bunch of extra tax poo poo you have to do, if you have someone else who works with you (Lots of youtube guys have editors for example.) then you've gotta pay them too. Expenses jump up real quick with that sorta business, it's not all profit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

6634 dollars of pure profit per month for doing nothing. Wowie zowie

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

can we talk about streets and roads itt too cause i have some hot takes

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Over 6K bucks a month for the visual equivalent of making GBS threads in a box.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Powaqoatse posted:

can we talk about streets and roads itt too cause i have some hot takes

We are because you brought it up. Asking if we can talk about something is itself talking about it which renders your question irrelevant

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah so listen up

1: streets and roads are boring
2: i dont care
3: im a fan of cobble stones

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

yeah so listen up

1: streets and roads are boring
2: i dont care
3: im a fan of cobble stones

gently caress cobblestones, they make driving dangerous under most circumstances and are difficult to plow.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

gently caress cobblestones, they make driving dangerous under most circumstances and are difficult to plow.

pro tip: dont drive

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also all us coops around my awesome cobble street just sold the street itself to our municipality so we no longer have to plow, our taxes do it for us :D

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

pro tip: dont drive

If someone crashes while on my street that affects me regardless of whether I'm driving. Also I care about others.

Powaqoatse posted:

also all us coops around my awesome cobble street just sold the street itself to our municipality so we no longer have to plow, our taxes do it for us :D

Our streets get plowed by the city, but again, this still leads to unsafe conditions and higher risk of accidents. Also it's incredibly unpleasant on the ears.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

sorry i insulted your favorite show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If someone crashes while on my street that affects me regardless of whether I'm driving. Also I care about others.

Our streets get plowed by the city, but again, this still leads to unsafe conditions and higher risk of accidents. Also it's incredibly unpleasant on the ears.

yea they all normally do here too but our street was privately owned so we had to plow ourselves until now we dont anymore