Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I did when it was airing. It still works fine.

i feel it's fine up to the palace but that stretch of eps feels like it would be hell outside of a binge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Gruckles posted:

Seems pretty pointless to me to have cut the meeting from the start of the series, only to add these extra sequences of them thinking Kite's an enemy before Gon vaguely remembers him leading to introductions.

Yeah if it didn't have another adaptation that did that already. Think of it like FMA and Brotherhood.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Gruckles posted:

Seems pretty pointless to me to have cut the meeting from the start of the series, only to add these extra sequences of them thinking Kite's an enemy before Gon vaguely remembers him leading to introductions.

While it is weird, I think they wanted to get the plot going as fast as possible, and figured it wasn't terribly important to include Kite. Ultimately it was probably the better choice, even if it does make it weird here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CharlestheHammer posted:

They would have done that either way since that was like 50 episodes ago.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Gon's delayed recognition is straight from the manga

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

While it is weird, I think they wanted to get the plot going as fast as possible, and figured it wasn't terribly important to include Kite. Ultimately it was probably the better choice, even if it does make it weird here.

I mean, they probably weren't even planning on adapting this far to begin with. The first arc aired in a children's time slot, when they got to here it switched over to a much later one 'cause of the subject matter.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
this poo poo sounds less like "he wanted you to find him as a test" and more like "he's an antisocial dickhead who prefers to not interact with others"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How the gently caress would you know that's Gon, you haven't seen him since he was a baby

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Argus Zant posted:

this poo poo sounds less like "he wanted you to find him as a test" and more like "he's an antisocial dickhead who prefers to not interact with others"

It's that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JT Jag posted:

They realize who each other are quicker though and no need for introductions.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Thanks for saving my kid, he's kinda a dumb idiot

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Argus Zant posted:

You don't know how on the mark you are here

and yeah there's a flashback of Ging specifically telling Razor to go ahead and try and kill his son

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MonsterEnvy posted:

They realize who each other are quicker though and no need for introductions.

There is no way they don't do intros just to catch the audience back up.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Ging told all his friends to beat the poo poo out of his son.

Best dad.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Nah, Kite just turns around and they both immediately recognize eachother and skip to the part that's happening right now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ging, being a misanthrope, punishes friendship.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JT Jag posted:

Ging, being a misanthrope, punishes friendship.

So the big question is, how much of this is a "plan", and how much is just Ging being a giant douchebag?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So yeah they did not meet Ging because he is a coward afraid to meet groups.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

So yeah they did not meet Ging because he is a coward afraid to meet groups.

Ging is a big mood

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

So the big question is, how much of this is a "plan", and how much is just Ging being a giant douchebag?

Judging from his past actions it's most definitely the latter.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

why are we even trying to track this fucker down

like, it's pretty loving clear that he's a miserable motherfucker with no redeeming qualities; why can't we just write him off as a permanent blank spot and go live our lives doing more constructive things

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Argus Zant posted:

like, it's pretty loving clear that he's a miserable motherfucker with no redeeming qualities; why can't we just write him off as a permanent blank spot and go live our lives doing more constructive things

Daddy issues my dude

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kerning Chameleon posted:

He put a lot of planning into how to be the biggest douchbag possible.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Argus Zant posted:

Gon's a stubborn bastard.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Argus Zant posted:

Gon doesn't really care about meeting Ging. He wants to find Ging.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Argus Zant posted:

Cause he is a good hunter who has some cool stories to tell.

Also Kite not entirely right here. Ging is a Double Star Hunter. He just has the qualification of a Triple Star.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Argus Zant posted:

Because HxH is a deconstruction of the shonen genre, and this is deconstruction of the whole "meet my dad who was/is never around" trope, the gag here being the dad is an rear end in a top hat not for any good or tragic reason, but just because he never really loving matured himself and really had no business fathering a son to begin with.

EDIT: GODDAMIT, NOT ANOTHER loving KING MENTION TONIGHT.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I’m starting to think Gon doesn’t actually have a mom, and Ging somehow cloned himself just to see what his mini-me would do.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Argus Zant posted:

Gon's like twelve, what the hell else does he really have to do?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We're in Japan for this one.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

why are we suddenly in Japan

e: never mind, I guess

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Only the best tiddies in Japan of course.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Man how awkward had that phone call had been if it had been Zenigata on the other end

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
fujiko's been kidnapped!

looks to be an entirely non-insane premise for an episode.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
does he just announce his name everytime he answers the phone

how has this safehouse not been busted yet, goddamn

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
holy poo poo lupin's watch

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

I can only imagine that Da Vinci is gonna be pissed that someone's been going around claiming to be the Japanese version of him

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

You're gonna get Zenigata in trouuuble, Lupin.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
lol this owns

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Goeimon got that Fujiko tail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fujiko's got black hair now.

• Locked thread