Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
These Scale75 paints are really nice, however I am noticing some things. They appear to be a hybrid alcohol based acrylic. When you do a thin layer, you can see the alcohol evaporate right out of the paint to the matte finish. If anyone has used the Tamiya line of alcohol acrylics, you'll know what I'm talking about. This would explain why they come sealed, and why the pigment is so strong. Alcohol based medium allows for smaller pigment, which is also why the metallics resemble the Vallejo Liquid Gold metallics which are also alcohol based. The Scale75s don't seem like they have as much alcohol, though. If you're a brush licker, you will notice regardless. They can be thinned with water, but it's really hard because of evaporation and a wet palette doesn't seem to slow it. I've got Tamiya thinner that I'm going to try when I get home to see how that compares.

I could be entirely wrong, but after using Tamiya for Gundams for so long, they act a lot a like. The supreme matte finish are nearly the same and a lot of the colors are almost exact.

They are awesome paints so far, I just wasn't expecting this. They blend between colors like magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

BULBASAUR posted:

For sure. That #18 is for chopping and getting straight cuts. I've tried to use it for mold lines and it's really bad. You want a #2 or #11 for those

Oh I thought you were saying otherwise. Carry on :hfive:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Greetings mortals! Can I get some constructive criticism on this model?

I'm working on it for a friend as a keepsake for his Eldar army that he recently sold off.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Waaay too sharp for my liking. They'll slice off a finger and you won't even realize it until you've spilled half a pint of blood on the floor.
Fortunately, if you cut yourself while working on your minis, chances are good that you have ready access to super-glue to immediately stop the bleeding!

I...uh...I may have made use of that happy coincidence a couple of nights ago. :cripes:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ilor posted:

Fortunately, if you cut yourself while working on your minis, chances are good that you have ready access to super-glue to immediately stop the bleeding!

I...uh...I may have made use of that happy coincidence a couple of nights ago. :cripes:

I do this all the time. It's what super glue was invented for, right?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lol if u don't burn your xacto wounds closed

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dear goons, if you are going to self-treat your wounds with superglue please make sure they are clean and nothing has been left in the wound. You really do not want to glue your cut shut with a bunch of poo poo from your painting area left in there.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Dear goons, if you are going to self-treat your wounds with superglue please make sure they are clean and nothing has been left in the wound. You really do not want to glue your cut shut with a bunch of poo poo from your painting area left in there.

Seconding this, make sure you guys actually clean your wounds.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

General Olloth posted:

I do this all the time. It's what super glue was invented for, right?

Actually it was discovered accidentally creating acrylics, first for gun sights in WWII. Its potential as an adhesive wasn't even recognized until it was discovered a second time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

LOL if you don't keep a bottle of bourbon at your painting bench for cleaning x-acto wounds.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

moths posted:

LOL if you don't keep a bottle of bourbon at your painting bench for cleaning x-acto wounds.

It works on outside wounds and inside wounds!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zuul the Cat posted:

That is what paint-water is for! (Note: also, not for drinking)

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I made a collage to show off the projects I've worked on over the past year.

I go by @ChreeMills on social media and you can see all my work at chreemills.artstarion.com.

Love seeing everyone's work in here and hope everyone makes great things in 2018.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Hobby room is strategically placed near a bathroom for a sink for water and rinsing mold release and scrubbing stripped models and stuff, so yes I go quickly rinse out the cut when I'm bleeding, and use bandages located there when appropriate.

Usually though it's not a cut that actually bleeds, but I seal it up before I shower just so that I don't feel a hair slide through the paper-thin cut while washing my hair. That is the absolute worst feeling. I feel bad even remembering it exists.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looks nice, what's the June model?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol if u don't burn your xacto wounds closed

all these chemical burns or my hands? hobby progress

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

BULBASAUR posted:

all these chemical burns or my hands? hobby progress

lol if u aren't constantly scarring ur flesh in order to grow you tiny warmans power

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol if u aren't constantly scarring ur flesh in order to grow you tiny warmans power

My phone no longer recognizes the top third of my thumb print from 6 months ago. That's what you get when you clean mold lines with sharp #11 blades, and move the blade towards you like a real man.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
My old store had a painting contest where they gave you an old metal model and you had to paint it. I got this Ork Nob, which is the second ever Ork I've painted. The first one was from the AoBR starter set, and was the first model I ever painted. I dug it out to compare!

I need to work on not overexposing my photos.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Pierzak posted:

Looks nice, what's the June model?

It's Phonecia, Arcane Spellcaster from Guild of Harmony.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Alokgen posted:

It's Phonecia, Arcane Spellcaster from Guild of Harmony.
Thanks.

dexefiend posted:

My phone no longer recognizes the top third of my thumb print from 6 months ago. That's what you get when you clean mold lines with sharp #11 blades, and move the blade towards you like a real man.
Heh, I remember when they took my fingerprints for a passport:

I scan my fingerprints. Something goes wrong. Repeat once, twice. Clerk cleans scanner, asks me to do it again. Still wrong. Takes my fingers, presses them against the scanner herself so nothing's misaligned, still nothing. I ask:
- Is something wrong?
- I think the device's not working probably, it's got all those criss-crossing lines all over the prints.
- Oh, those are micro-scars, I'm a modeler :haw:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 8, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Man you guys need to practice some knife safety, I have probably only cut myself a half dozen times in my entire life and I have been cutting up plastic miniatures since the early 1990s. It's not hard to be safe!

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Man you guys need to practice some knife safety, I have probably only cut myself a half dozen times in my entire life and I have been cutting up plastic miniatures since the early 1990s. It's not hard to be safe!

If you think the amount of times I cut myself is bad, you should see how much I have to go back and fix mistakes where I just smash totally the wrong part of the model with the brush, after years of painting.

My hand-eye coordination is pretty poor to choose this as a hobby but I enjoy it anyway.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm working on it for a friend as a keepsake for his Eldar army that he recently sold off.

Can't let this slip by unnoticed.
That cloak is loving dope man! :krad:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's looking pretty great, the only criticism that really comes to mind is the white inner cloak contrasts a little too much with the black if that is the final color. A darker grey or blue grey is what I would go with.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn I like the scale75 reds. Phone camera is compressing it a lot, but its got a big range from dark to bright without ever turning orange.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Is that an Emperor's Children 30k model? That armor is :syoon: as gently caress.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Is that an Emperor's Children 30k model? That armor is :syoon: as gently caress.

No, a custodes 30k dread. The aesthetic works pretty well for blood angels too.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I finished up these chunky boys this afternoon.

As usual, there's a bunch I could probably touch up if I felt like it, but I don't. Now I just have to kill time with some 6mm odds and ends while I wait for the easy-build Redemptor to get released.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I haven't really cut myself since plastic minis became common. Metal minis were another thing. The mixture of rage, frustration and high levels of pressure on the knife was pretty bad.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ended up finishing that Eldrad last night.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I painted up an old metal Eldrad for a friend that sold off his Eldar army after losing all his vehicles and wraithlords. He wanted to keep just Eldrad as a keepsake, since it was his first 40k army.

Painting Eldar is weird, I feel like i'm cheating on a spouse.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

I ended up finishing that Eldrad last night.

Love it! That's a great color choice on the sword.

Finished the two shadespire warbands I was excited about :

Probably moving on to more 40k stuff, but the bloodreavers will be next when I figure out a colorscheme I like better than GW's

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Those skeletons are loving DOPE~!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Ilor posted:

Those skeletons are loving DOPE~!

Yeah I think that's the top GW kit of the year.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So I picked up some supplies from the game shop by a company named Army Painter. Dunno if they're bad or good, it's what they had in stock. Got a pair of metal clippers, three files, a pin vise plus an extra set of the drill bits which also included some lengths of steel for clipping pins off and finally a mat so I don't make too much of a mess. Both because I didn't want to spend too much all at once and because I wasn't so sure, I didn't pick up any kind of knife but that does lead to a question or two I had.

Some guides I've read/watched say to not use the files on plastic minis, whereas the branding outright mentions plastic and not all guides say it's a bad thing. With the clippers, do I really need the "precision" ones for plastic or will the metal do just as well?

By my own mistake I ended up buying a type of glue that seems labeled as a plastic glue. Should've grabbed the Loctite.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I hosed up royally.

My pashce D200 compressor just died. Like, I'm all up in the middle of spraying some poo poo and it loving blows a gasket. This POS cuts me while I scope out the location of it's decompression.

Whatever, I'll just scope out the compressors I put in my wish list on amazon.

"This one, yes this is the nicest compressor I've seen on amazon, lets look at it again."

"Are you sure you want to look at this thing because your loving mother in law bought it for you, you stupid gently caress"

Seriously, I can never get ahead of this woman and she always has something up her loving sleeve. Like, I'm grateful and all but man that was a surprise that did not want to spoil.

I am blaming this on Paasche. Don't buy Paasche. Seriously, the 2 airbrushes I've had from them have been fiddly as gently caress and eventually exploded into "more parts than the effort is worth it".

E: Badger supremacy, and gently caress whomever was having a hard time with their 105.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 10, 2017

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Arthil posted:

So I picked up some supplies from the game shop by a company named Army Painter. Dunno if they're bad or good, it's what they had in stock. Got a pair of metal clippers, three files, a pin vise plus an extra set of the drill bits which also included some lengths of steel for clipping pins off and finally a mat so I don't make too much of a mess. Both because I didn't want to spend too much all at once and because I wasn't so sure, I didn't pick up any kind of knife but that does lead to a question or two I had.

Some guides I've read/watched say to not use the files on plastic minis, whereas the branding outright mentions plastic and not all guides say it's a bad thing. With the clippers, do I really need the "precision" ones for plastic or will the metal do just as well?

By my own mistake I ended up buying a type of glue that seems labeled as a plastic glue. Should've grabbed the Loctite.

Plastic to plastic means plastic glue. Plastic to anything else means superglue(locktite but thats your prerogative bro)

A knife: We've been discussing this lately ITT. Just get a basic knife and a dozen Number 11 blades. You'll be fine with that as far as starting out goes.

Honestly dude? If you have any experience with scale modeling then the only thing you need to pay attention to is the whole pinning thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I loving hate pinning because I am super terrible at aligning where I drill.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

DiHK posted:

Plastic to plastic means plastic glue. Plastic to anything else means superglue(locktite but thats your prerogative bro)

A knife: We've been discussing this lately ITT. Just get a basic knife and a dozen Number 11 blades. You'll be fine with that as far as starting out goes.

Honestly dude? If you have any experience with scale modeling then the only thing you need to pay attention to is the whole pinning thing.

I have absolutely 0% scale modeling experience but I've got fairly decent hand-eye coordination and steady hands. Knew about the glue, we probably got some superglue somewhere around here. Will see what shape the mini is in when I get it, might only need a file to clean it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Has anyone used water effects for ice, and if so, what did you do make it "icy" if anything?