Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Ming is actually not that bad now, they just need to tweak the rules for diplo tributaries a little more so that Ming in India is like 1 in 10 games tops rather than a good 50% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ming is less stupid than it was when MoH came out but still quite bad. I have still never seen them lose the mandate once without my personally interfering to make it happen. Left to their own devices they will still pass all the reforms in every game and sit at 90+ mandate for at least half its length, probably with +3 stab and an army of 300k at least 200k of which is mercs. The effort that the devs made to make it possible for Manchuria to compete with them is completely useless to an AI Manchuria, which almost invariably gets wiped out by Korea or Japan or Ming or all of the above if it even forms (by no means likely in itself). Also, even if Ming loses a tributary here or there, it has very little effect unless they are bordering something insanely gigantic — again, unless the player interferes, this means a strong Russia that manages to border them is basically the only thing that can pose a threat to their mandate. They could easily stay at 100 mandate throughout their wars with an Arakan that had united everything between Bengal and Malacca, for example. Even once I decided to touch them with my Mughals, a 4000 development empire stretching all the way to Mecca, it’s still going to take me 20 years to reduce their mandate to 0. God knows if they will lose it then.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I meant to say that they're still too stable most games but at least they do sometimes fail by themselves now and don't always end up in Iran.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So I'm playing Karaman and the option to change to a theocracy popped up. I remember hearing theocracies are good. Is that still and if so, why are they good?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Are your generals more likely to randomly die if they're assigned to an army?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Are your generals more likely to randomly die if they're assigned to an army?

I don't know if they changed this with the drill/professionalism stuff, but at least a couple patches ago, yes they were. And they were still more likely to randomly die during battle or siege.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hmm my general just died "marching" through the ocean. Well no duh.

skasion posted:

I don't know if they changed this with the drill/professionalism stuff, but at least a couple patches ago, yes they were. And they were still more likely to randomly die during battle or siege.

Playing Ottos for the first time, guess I'll keep my event-generalized heir at home where he's safe then.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

skasion posted:

If anyone was wondering about the math on this.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I guess this is one of those thing. But I've got almost 900 hours in this game and just noticed that no matter what map modes you've got set, the hotkeys are always qwert for the first row and yuiop for the second. I always thought it was like, random letters and never used them...

Uh oh my heir is going to be chilling well into those rough %'s. At least his claim is good now.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

skasion posted:

I don't think I've ever had a general die in battle. All the god drat time when they're just hanging out with the troops though. If I want to get rid of a poo poo ruler (and can't abdicate) I'll put them in charge of an army for a while

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it possible to form a peasant's republic or is that custom nation only?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

It’s only Dithmarschen, right? It’s like Ambrosian Republic for Milan.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
It's marked as unique yeah so don't think there is a way to cheese it either

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Too bad, that would have been fun. :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm going for the Ideas Guy achievement.

I'm the white blob in South Africa, Bantuka. Fetishist theocracy (which is loads of fun btw). I think I can quite easily blob my way into all of Africa and into India, probably snagging Iberia as well at some point. My issue would be "how to get 500 ducats per month" as that's the requirement for the chievo. Most of my NI's are to create supersoldiers, with tax income and globla trade power buffs. I have expansion, offensive and am currently busy working on the economic ideas set.

What would you guys sugegst? Just keep blobbing until I read a point where I cna disband my entire military and get 500 ducats in a month? Would it be a good idea to gun for Iberia ASAP or should I take it slow and let the Euros colonize and create trade value in the New World before swooping into their centers of trade? Which idea sets should I get? Currently my troops' morale is like 5.7 (compared to enemies' 3.7 so far) so I think I can let military ideas slide for now. Which strategy should I follow? Mostly tax based or trade based? I've never been good with trade but it seems my income is 20% based on trade and I don't know if I could squeeze out a lot more there or not.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You could probably get insane trade income by conquering all of East Africa and then India to route all East and South Asian trade down to the Cape.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

vyelkin posted:

You could probably get insane trade income by conquering all of East Africa and then India to route all East and South Asian trade down to the Cape.

Yeah, I thought one of the standard ways to do Idea Guy was start in South Africa and funnel all of Indonesia trade into your ravenous maw.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I hate to be the guy posting esoteric errors in modding here, but the last couple of times I brought it up on the euiv boards it just got ignored and buried.

Really I'm just hoping Groogy sees it :shepface:

Specifically, I have a full map replacement going. It has all the files done, all the areas, super/regions defined, and loads with a sole error of a missing province (which incidentally if I create the last province in the defines with the color I say in there, it will always consider it an invalid color. If I then reduce max_provinces and blot that original last province out with neighbour colors, the new 'last' province will now show all of it's pixels as an invalid color regardless of no changes being made :suicide:) but that doesn't seem to be the choke.

The game loops forever on initializing maplogic, the setup.log ending at the superregion declaration, right before it would usually say map.cpp's time. Checking out eu4.exe in a debug trace, it seems to loop around a function called ZwReadFile, and a file that keeps coming up in trace is "face//band_reorg_blue.dds". Essentially it seems to go a few functions deep, hits a block, reverses out and then begins all over, looping infinitely.

I just want to load this goddamn map already I've been trying to do this at varying points over 8 months now when I get back to it :suicide:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

I'm the white blob in South Africa, Bantuka. Fetishist theocracy (which is loads of fun btw). I think I can quite easily blob my way into all of Africa and into India, probably snagging Iberia as well at some point. My issue would be "how to get 500 ducats per month" as that's the requirement for the chievo. Most of my NI's are to create supersoldiers, with tax income and globla trade power buffs. I have expansion, offensive and am currently busy working on the economic ideas set.

What would you guys sugegst? Just keep blobbing until I read a point where I cna disband my entire military and get 500 ducats in a month? Would it be a good idea to gun for Iberia ASAP or should I take it slow and let the Euros colonize and create trade value in the New World before swooping into their centers of trade? Which idea sets should I get? Currently my troops' morale is like 5.7 (compared to enemies' 3.7 so far) so I think I can let military ideas slide for now. Which strategy should I follow? Mostly tax based or trade based? I've never been good with trade but it seems my income is 20% based on trade and I don't know if I could squeeze out a lot more there or not.

I believe it's 500 ducats of gross income per month and not 500 ducats of profit. Disbanding your army doesn't do anything.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Conquering West Africa as well wouldn't be a bad idea. I think it keeps trade being dragged from South Africa.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Zanzibar is one of the strongest trade nodes in the game to collect in, if you totally lock down South Africa (which you have) then it's trivial to get 100% trade control, and you can feed Indonesia directly there without going through India. Kongo directs there as well.

Basically just get full control over Zanzibar and start conquering poo poo that feeds it, and make trade companies. No need to go gently caress with Europe.

E:

I guess I'll expand on this a bit for a more general case. So everyone knows that the trade end nodes are awesome because nobody can divert away your trade from there, so if you own all the provinces nobody else can get any trade value out. However there is also the concept of making a 'virtual' end node where you can control virtually all trade in that node. This comes down to a lot of factors and under ideal circumstances you can make any node into a virtual end node but the easiest circumstance is when you own all the provinces in a single trade node, which only has one downstream node, where you also own all the provinces.

Good candidates for virtual end nodes are Constantinople (if you own Ragusa), Persia (if you own Aleppo), Zanzibar (if you own Cape), Hormuz (if you own Basra) etc. Zanzibar is just uniquely useful because of its ability to suck trade directly out of Indonesia, allowing you to immediately get returns on conquests in East Asia as opposed to having to steer trade round India.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 9, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of Ideas Guy, what's a good set of ideas specifically for the South African trade empire route?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Wafflecopper posted:

For me I find it mildly annoying not because they're poking fun at the game but because I tend to get annoyed at any joke/meme that gets repeated often enough. We've all heard it before, there's nothing witty or clever about flogging a dead horse

Not only this, but it also makes things generally harder to decipher for people who aren't familiar with this dumb in-joke.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hmm if you control-right click an army, you can force it to use auto-transport.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just don't try and move the troops until all have arrived. They'll move one province and then get stuck moving back to the destination province overriding any command you give to them. Hopefully a strong enemy army doesn't come near until everyone is across because you can't move them out of the way and of course it transports the general last.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll eat my way to the Horn of Africa and travel across to India and the Indies and set up shop there.

Side note,

RabidWeasel posted:

Zanzibar is one of the strongest trade nodes in the game to collect in, if you totally lock down South Africa (which you have) then it's trivial to get 100% trade control, and you can feed Indonesia directly there without going through India. Kongo directs there as well.

Basically just get full control over Zanzibar and start conquering poo poo that feeds it, and make trade companies. No need to go gently caress with Europe.

E:

I guess I'll expand on this a bit for a more general case. So everyone knows that the trade end nodes are awesome because nobody can divert away your trade from there, so if you own all the provinces nobody else can get any trade value out. However there is also the concept of making a 'virtual' end node where you can control virtually all trade in that node. This comes down to a lot of factors and under ideal circumstances you can make any node into a virtual end node but the easiest circumstance is when you own all the provinces in a single trade node, which only has one downstream node, where you also own all the provinces.

Good candidates for virtual end nodes are Constantinople (if you own Ragusa), Persia (if you own Aleppo), Zanzibar (if you own Cape), Hormuz (if you own Basra) etc. Zanzibar is just uniquely useful because of its ability to suck trade directly out of Indonesia, allowing you to immediately get returns on conquests in East Asia as opposed to having to steer trade round India.

In this case would it be better to collect in Cape, in Zanzibar or in both? I have like 95% trade power in Cape (5% somehow goes to Castile, which as you can see is dominated by the France blob) and about 50% in Zanzibar last I checked. I thought it'd be better to push trade forward to Cape to create wealth and collect there?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The reason to collect in Zanzibar when you control the cape is no trade will flow upstream. If you collect in cape then someone who controls west Africa can start siphoning trade up towards Europe.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Collect in both eventually, but for now you're better off just collecting in Cape and pushing trade from Zanzibar. The reason people don't usually use Cape so much as a collecting node is that it's comparatively much easier to generate trade power in Ivory Coast which will suck trade out of Cape, wheras if you own all the provinces in Cape it's very difficult (impossible, even?) for most states to generate any trade power there. Also, even if you do have decent control over Ivory Coast, it's a very 'leaky' node (it is immediately upsteam from all the major European colonisers' home nodes) so collecting there will probably not give a huge benefit either, in which case you could have got nearly the same result from just collecting in Cape while owning many fewer provinces.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
These explanations are arcane and the trade system might as well be magic to me, so I'll take your word for it and collect in Cape until I solidly lock down Zanzibar

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'd like to do an Ideas Guy run. Would any of Third Rome, CoC, or MoH improve the game for me? I have all the older DLCs.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Depending on how fast the euros are and if you take expansion + exploration, you can manage to get Ivory coast + cape + 2 South American CNs. That way cap is safe.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

These explanations are arcane and the trade system might as well be magic to me, so I'll take your word for it and collect in Cape until I solidly lock down Zanzibar
Just wait until you attempt to play in Asia. :shepface:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'd like to do an Ideas Guy run. Would any of Third Rome, CoC, or MoH improve the game for me? I have all the older DLCs.

Mandate of Heaven has a few very nice bonuses for each age and absolutism is a good mechanic. Similarly Cradle has a crap-load of new events and mechanics for Muslims and mini-policies you can issue in a single state that give very strong bonuses at the cost of much higher maintenance for that state.

Third Rome would only be useful if you play as a Russian Culture or Orthodox custom nation

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

StealthArcher posted:

I hate to be the guy posting esoteric errors in modding here, but the last couple of times I brought it up on the euiv boards it just got ignored and buried.

Really I'm just hoping Groogy sees it :shepface:

Specifically, I have a full map replacement going. It has all the files done, all the areas, super/regions defined, and loads with a sole error of a missing province (which incidentally if I create the last province in the defines with the color I say in there, it will always consider it an invalid color. If I then reduce max_provinces and blot that original last province out with neighbour colors, the new 'last' province will now show all of it's pixels as an invalid color regardless of no changes being made :suicide:) but that doesn't seem to be the choke.

The game loops forever on initializing maplogic, the setup.log ending at the superregion declaration, right before it would usually say map.cpp's time. Checking out eu4.exe in a debug trace, it seems to loop around a function called ZwReadFile, and a file that keeps coming up in trace is "face//band_reorg_blue.dds". Essentially it seems to go a few functions deep, hits a block, reverses out and then begins all over, looping infinitely.

I just want to load this goddamn map already I've been trying to do this at varying points over 8 months now when I get back to it :suicide:

Not exactly sure what you are doing wrong, send me the mod instead zipped. Will give you the email in a pm

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

Mandate of Heaven has a few very nice bonuses for each age and absolutism is a good mechanic. Similarly Cradle has a crap-load of new events and mechanics for Muslims and mini-policies you can issue in a single state that give very strong bonuses at the cost of much higher maintenance for that state.

Third Rome would only be useful if you play as a Russian Culture or Orthodox custom nation

Edicts are in MoH actually

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I got bored of Ainu so I decided to start up a Chinese thunderdome as Wu. It's a lot easier than I thought. You simply start as Ming, take a loan, declare bankruptcy, go through the list of rebellions accepting all separatists and tag switch to your desired piece. :toot:

Had to save scum when Mongolia conquered OPM Yan who had the mandate (at 0 with 0 meritocracy lol) which permanently got rid off it and I didn't want that. It's actually kinda fun when it's not put into the hands of a super stable bullshit power for free at the start of the game.

Also, why is the flag for Min a birdface? Two closed eyes and a weird cartoon beak.

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 10, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That bird seems to be shedding a single tear for 5000 years of glorious history

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

5000 years of made up cultural butthurt! :byodood:
(I wonder if they'll claim 6000 or jump straight for 7 next time they raise it)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

RabidWeasel posted:

Edicts are in MoH actually

Hah, I bought them both last week guess I got them mixed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

With Third Rome you'd have access to the powerful but expensive Siberian Frontiers idea in the nation builder. CoC adds some nice unique governments, especially the Mamluk one, but you're probably better off with the best government from an older DLC: the Dutch Republic. If you got both Third Rome and MoH, I think the age bonus for increased development in colonies synergizes with Siberian Frontiers.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 10, 2017