Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe for Switch 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why not add DSi connectivity while we're at it?

Alternately: The WiiU was a failed console from the beginning and once its few good games are ported to the Switch no one will think about it again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Real hurthling! posted:

Mythras va is so much more checked out/worse than pyras their conversations together are really funny

That VA makes sense if you imagine she was given a picture of Mythra and Pyra and immediately recorded all of her lines in a "what the gently caress are these outfits" haze.

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Yeah, I agree with everything you say.
But it's still miles away more fun than the even-more-user-unfriendly XCX.

This a million times.

XCX had flying mechs and monsterous kaiju ultrafauna to fight and they managed to gently caress it all up. :sigh:

And even at his worst, Tora's just so much better than Tatsu.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The points to consider:

- Just because there aren't currently 3rd party wiiu tablets in the wild doesn't mean it'll never happen.
- Even if the above never does happen, Nintendo's still producing/supporting controllers from a...what, 15 year old system? And as far as I know you can plug "new" gamecube controllers into the OG systems still.

They will never make new Wii U controllers. Not in a million, billion years. There's zero demand for that.

That's why the Wii U controllers breaking isn't a huge problem. Yes, they will break, and every broken Wii U controller turns it's accompanying Wii back into a regular Wii. But who cares? They're just gonna keep porting Wii U games to the Switch, five years from now are there really gonna be people desperately tracking down a Wii U just to play the singleplayer of Splatoon 1, and uhhh.... ZombiU?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Games preservation is valuable and important by itself. No games need to be fun or good in order to justify preserving the consoles they ran on and their original versions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DoctorWhat posted:

Games preservation is valuable and important by itself. No games need to be fun or good in order to justify preserving the consoles they ran on and their original versions.
Buy a WiiU and stow it away so there's no risk of it breaking, I guess? Same as any other kind of collectible?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

They will never make new Wii U controllers. Not in a million, billion years. There's zero demand for that.

That's why the Wii U controllers breaking isn't a huge problem. Yes, they will break, and every broken Wii U controller turns it's accompanying Wii back into a regular Wii. But who cares? They're just gonna keep porting Wii U games to the Switch, five years from now are there really gonna be people desperately tracking down a Wii U just to play the singleplayer of Splatoon 1, and uhhh.... ZombiU?

ZombiU got ported to PS4/Xbone. Really the only Wii U game that people might miss that won’t be ported is Nintendoland.

There are a few other games that are not likely to not be ported—Paper Mario: Color Splash and 3D World, but it’s not like either have a lot of replayability. And by the time you’re feeling nostalgic and want to play them again, emulation will be available, perhaps even with a smartphone app to act as the second screen.

[Edit: that said, if Nintendo does port Color Splash to the Switch I would consider getting it IF they significantly improve the battle mechanics]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 10, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Smash? Mario 3D World?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lelandjs posted:

ZombiU got ported to PS4/Xbone. Really the only Wii U game that people might miss that won’t be ported is Nintendoland.

There are a few other games that are not likely to not be ported—Paper Mario: Color Splash and 3D World, but it’s not like either have a lot of replayability. And by the time you’re feeling nostalgic and want to play them again, emulation will be available, perhaps even with a smartphone app to act as the second screen.

[Edit: that said, if Nintendo does port Color Splash to the Switch I would consider getting it IF they significantly improve the battle mechanics]

The only real way to improve Colour Smash is to remove the battle mechanics. They just get in the way of an otherwise-fun inventory-based adventure game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Smash? Mario 3D World?
I assumed they're already working on a new Smash game for the Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People will make WiiU controllers when it becomes necessary. They'll get the internal components from some factory in China that probably still has the design and 3D print a bunch of parts and put them together in their garage and sell them for like $300 to speedrunners.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or how about we forget the WiiU ever existed except for some games that will end up on the Switch.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assumed they're already working on a new Smash game for the Switch.

Imho they'd be crazy to make a new Smash from scratch for the switch... Wii U Smash is amazing, the graphics could barely be improved on Switch, and the Wii U had a really small customer base. Nintendo has already run surveys and knows which characters people want most - if they released the same Smash with 4-8 new characters and better online multiplayer I feel like every Switch owner would jump on it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

People will make WiiU controllers when it becomes necessary. They'll get the internal components from some factory in China that probably still has the design and 3D print a bunch of parts and put them together in their garage and sell them for like $300 to speedrunners.

right, they'll just go the factory in China and get the designs. Y'know, that one factory in China. And they'll get the software from wherever. Bing bing bong so simple

Making a third party Wii U would be a big challenge. For a small and ever dwindling potential customer base of "people who know and care about the Wii U". And those people won't be interested in a third party controller until real Wii Us start becoming expensive/rare, which is going to be a long time from now. So like in 20 fuckin' 30, when the only Wii U exclusives are like, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and The Wonderful 101, and we're all adjusting to food being ten times as expensive and water rationing is enforced throughout the nation and any seaside community not rich enough to afford a giant seawall or dyke is slipping below the waves, is anyone going to care?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

Imho they'd be crazy to make a new Smash from scratch for the switch... Wii U Smash is amazing, the graphics could barely be improved on Switch, and the Wii U had a really small customer base. Nintendo has already run surveys and knows which characters people want most - if they released the same Smash with 4-8 new characters and better online multiplayer I feel like every Switch owner would jump on it.
I guess I don't know why they ever feel the need to make whole new Smash games in the first place.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess I don't know why they ever feel the need to make whole new Smash games in the first place.

The jump in graphics between Brawl and Wii U is actually pretty dramatic. The jump between Wii U and Switch wouldn't be big enough to warrant building a whole new game from the ground up.

edit: personally, one of my favorite things about Wii u smash was their insane decision to make GameCube controllers work (what other company would ever do this??). It's a shame that would basically be impossible on switch

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Polo-Rican posted:

Sakurai is a madman

I mean this very positively

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

The jump in graphics between Brawl and Wii U is actually pretty dramatic. The jump between Wii U and Switch wouldn't be big enough to warrant building a whole new game from the ground up.

edit: personally, one of my favorite things about Wii u smash was their insane decision to make GameCube controllers work (what other company would ever do this??). It's a shame that would basically be impossible on switch
It seems like it would be possible to make a wireless controller like the Pro but in the shape of a Gamecube controller...or is it something other than their shape that everyone loves about them? I never really understood the Gamecube controller love, even though I loved my Gamecube.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Didn’t they already have gamecube controllers working on the Switch?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah I feel like we'll get a Smash Bros DX with all the DLC, maybe the stages from the 3DS version and Smash Run included or something. Fine by me, Wii U Smash really is just about perfect

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

It seems like it would be possible to make a wireless controller like the Pro but in the shape of a Gamecube controller...or is it something other than their shape that everyone loves about them? I never really understood the Gamecube controller love, even though I loved my Gamecube.

Octagon gates. Vital for many techniques.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Raserys posted:

Sakurai is a madman

I mean this very positively

He has like debilitating carpal tunnel and has permanently hosed up his hands by making good rear end games for us

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Didn’t they already have gamecube controllers working on the Switch?

They did, and this time not just for Smash. It works for all Switch games provided they don't have too many buttons.

edit: I've used GC controllers for Fire Emblem Warriors and MK8 multiplayer

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DoctorWhat posted:

Octagon gates. Vital for many techniques.
Are they ancient mystic technology that can't be implemented in modern controllers?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Apparently not.

Also the wavebird controller is the GOAT, of any console, ever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Polo-Rican posted:

I mostly just don't want them to waste the time. They have a perfectly good Smash right there they can just port over. Just do that, put in new characters bada bing bada boom. There's zero reason to make ANOTHER new Smash from scratch

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are they ancient mystic technology that can't be implemented in modern controllers?

It would appear so, based on every controller made after 2009.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a fixed ratio of gamepads to consoles in the wild. It will not stay favourable.

I compared it to the Vectrex for that reason. It has the same controller and screen dilemma (if either of them kick it, your console is effectively useless), and wasn't extraordinarily popular at the time of its release. You can find this 35 year old console to this day working for 300 bucks, and it's wonderful. People will be cleaning Wii Us out of their basements for decades with no real agenda to make a buck. The only ones that will cost a lot will be never-unboxed ones, and maybe the white model down the road

I'd expect them to go down in price before they go back up, if ever. 13.5 million dead-rear end consoles floating in the wild, and I really don't see millions of gamepads irreparably breaking any time soon

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I want Smash to come to Switch because I never owned a Wii U. Also BOTW is awesome. Started playing a few days ago.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Smash? Mario 3D World?

do whatever w/Smash.

I would like a Galaxy release

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tora's just so much better than Tatsu.

The lowest of bars

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Yeah, I agree with everything you say.
But it's still miles away more fun than the even-more-user-unfriendly XCX.

I played XCX and did not find it unfriendly. I played 300+ hours of it and bought a WiiU for it, even.

(though i did buy a smattering of party games for the wiiu, it was primarily for XCX)

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
How common are Blue Joycons? I want them to be blue because for 80 dang dollars, they should be whatever color they want me to be.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Anyone picked up Floor Kids from the eShop? It seems pretty interesting, but I can't find many reviews for it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Wait, there's co-op?

What's it like? And when you say local wifi, does that specifically mean 2 switches, or are they going to let 2 players play off of one switch as well?

The co-op is a highlight of the game for me. There are 53 separate encounters with 4 difficulties each, and 5 different characters to use. Jeanne and Bayonetta can use any weapons from the main game and the other characters have unique movesets. It's insane on the higher difficulties and the combo of trying to keep each other alive while still going for the most style points is like nothing else. I really hope Tag Climax is back in Bayo 3.

My favorite way to play is max difficulty with random verse cards. It's so much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7LWEP4puMU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ErIog posted:

I haven't played a Xeno game since Xenosaga on PS2. Would I be able to buy this and have a good time?

I have played some Tales and Star Ocean games and have hated hated hated the combat, but I do have a pretty high tolerance for anime bullshit.

Consider this : the creators of Star Ocean worked on the first Tales game, Tales of Phantasia. They also worked on Valkyrie Profile.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I will keep my WiiU because it has some good games that will probably never be ported TMS, 3D World, Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad etc. But I'm also not in the habit of breaking my controllers so.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dad Jokes posted:

Anyone picked up Floor Kids from the eShop? It seems pretty interesting, but I can't find many reviews for it.

I did, I haven't gotten deep into it but I like it. Stylish little rhythm game. Haven't gotten to try the versus battle dancing yet. For as simplistic as the animation style is, they did a good thing in putting a lot of unique transitions between moves so it remains interesting to watch. It feels pretty easy at first but get a few locations in and one really has to start paying attention to the scoring criteria, character stats, start memorizing a few combos.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

- Even if the above never does happen, Nintendo's still producing/supporting controllers from a...what, 15 year old system? And as far as I know you can plug "new" gamecube controllers into the OG systems still.

If you're only talking about the gamecube controllers, then this isn't really a good argument. GC controllers are specifically still being made only because of the needs of Smash players at this point. I love my Wii U, but it's not going to have the same sort of large and dedicated base for its games that will need to regularly get new Wii U gamepads (other than Smash 4....where people use GC controllers).

Polo-Rican posted:

You know that fighting game players regularly play on arcade sticks that have been around in gaming since forever, and continuously try to get them to work on new fighting games/systems (via drivers or converters), and that this has been a very normal and expected process for years? People wanting preference for a certain type of controller is perfectly normal in competitive stuff.

Samurai Sanders posted:

1. For competitive purposes, it's best if they aren't wireless. Wireless controllers don't have a good track record at fgc events (including the DS4s that everyone uses) for a variety of reasons. You could in theory make a Wireless controller that's absolutely perfect that magically doesn't invoke all of these issues, but it'd likely be pretty difficult, especially Nintendo who frequently doesn't get the specifics quite right on competitive stuff.

2. It's mostly the shape/feel that everyone is used to that makes them feel the most comfortable when playing, either in a direct physical sense, or just in pure muscle memory. It's no different from my above point about fgc arcade sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ventana posted:

You know that fighting game players regularly play on arcade sticks that have been around in gaming since forever, and continuously try to get them to work on new fighting games/systems (via drivers or converters), and that this has been a very normal and expected process for years? People wanting preference for a certain type of controller is perfectly normal in competitive stuff.

It's not just fighting game players either, there have been players in League who used trackballs in pro games. Also the Gamecube controller adaptor works on the Switch, so you already can use a GC controller on the Switch as a pro controller.

• Locked thread