Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How can looking like Nagito possibly be a negative..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pureauthor posted:

Also, Reindeer are terrible, terrible monsters and I hope they all die

just, you know, fyi

But you're a reindeer too

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Pureauthor posted:

just, you know, fyi

Please don't kill the MC.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

NRVNQSR posted:

Surely you'll just get all of your exp cards silently thrown away when you run out of space in the present box?

It actually won't let you keep drawing if the box has 290 or more items in it already.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Thuryl posted:

It actually won't let you keep drawing if the box has 290 or more items in it already.

Ah, that's fine then. Makes sense, I'm sure they don't want to have to field loads of support calls from people who accidentally junked four of their Santas.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

I hear Amakusa's name come up every now and then as a really nasty challenge fight, since his NP is literally unavoidable. I don't know how often DW actually makes him a boss though.

He's a boss during a few events and a singularity

Though his singularity boss fight is trivialized because his class is changed for it and the servant who is strong against his class at the time is incredibly powerful and a welfare

Endorph posted:

Kid Gil is underrated slightly there imo, his competition isn't really Robin Hood or Gilgamesh, it's Tawara and Arash. Arash obviously does way more damage but is really clunky to use, and Tawara has pretty crap NP gain though a better damage boost, and Gil has more attack than him. Overall I'd say 5/10. He's basically the same character as Alexander.

This is fair.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How can looking like Nagito possibly be a negative..?

Komatsuzaki being bad at drawing new characters is not a positive

Also I thought it was obvious some of these cheesy last ones don't actually reflect the score and are there for flavor

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

You mean to tell me "+Astolfo" isn't worth a full extra point on it's own!?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Clawtopsy posted:

aw gently caress

It takes twenty gears?! What the hell.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Baal posted:

Alright here's the writeups for Void Shiki, Chaldea Boys, and the Count of Monte Cristo

You'll have to excuse the obvious favoritism for Edmond, but it's really easy to win me over with edgelords that have dumb dbz powers

quote:

+NP is inherently pretty strong at NP level 1, it starts with a multiplier of 600% which a lot of servants don't see until NP5 at best. If you manage to make it to NP5, he's gonna be doing a lotta damage with that thing.
But Edmond's NP multiplier is completely normal for his target type and card type?

STs do twice the damage for AoE (at equivalent levels, barring some exceptions), interlude adds some more on top of that and the multiplier is combined with the card type, resolving to the same damage for Buster (300% * 1.5 = 450%) and Arts (450% * 1 = 450%) and a bit more for Quick. (600% * 0.8 = 480%) (Double the numbers for ST)

Nyaa posted:

I am especially terrible at writing any kind of intro for some reason. :eng99:

Sorry I came off kinda mean. I appreciate anybody who tries.

Nate RFB posted:

I hear Amakusa's name come up every now and then as a really nasty challenge fight, since his NP is literally unavoidable. I don't know how often DW actually makes him a boss though.
This is when you bring Orion, because with the proper team Amakusa will never get to NP.
(And Orion does bonus damage, as well)

Or you bring an Avenger and try to kill him before he gets to NP. That's kinda tricky since he has his NP per turn skill.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

But Edmond's NP multiplier is completely normal for his target type and card type?

STs do twice the damage for AoE (at equivalent levels, barring some exceptions), interlude adds some more on top of that and the multiplier is combined with the card type, resolving to the same damage for Buster (300% * 1.5 = 450%) and Arts (450% * 1 = 450%) and a bit more for Quick. (600% * 0.8 = 480%) (Double the numbers for ST)

Alright, I see now. I didn't realize NPs were calculated this way when I was looking everything up, so it seemed to me like 600% was decently high especially considering he's the only dude with an attack stat that high being funneled into that multiplier on aoe damage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also it isn't really enough to change their rating any but it's worth noting Astolfo's agender nature means they don't take extra damage from Jack or Orion's NPs or get boosted by skills that target only men/women. These two things kind of cancel each other out in terms of usefulness/detriment. Frankly it might be more of a flaw, since enemy single target NPs usually kill people even without the bonus damage.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It takes twenty gears?! What the hell.

And now you begin to understand the French Revolution.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kyte posted:

Now that's very interesting, I never stopped to think what the card type meant for a NP outside of its potential for how it affects the rest of the cards. So the card type affects the damage output (with Quick surprisingly being the biggest bang for your buck), but I assume the NP card's placement in the chain doesn't matter? I remember that being mentioned a few times. Because I know that normally a Buster Card going first is 150% while going third it's 210%.

quote:

This is when you bring Orion, because with the proper team Amakusa will never get to NP.
(And Orion does bonus damage, as well)
Something like Orion/Euryale/Tamamo? Lots of anti-male damage potential, skills/NP to reduce NP guages and charm him, Fox Wedding boosts, skill cooldown reduction, etc.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 10, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I burnt out terribly on this game, never got very far. But this event was great and I've got back into it I think. Will be nice to unleash hell on the story chapters for a while with all my fancy new stuff.

Lots to do though, I'd just got to the start of whichever one has Nero. I just much prefer the silly stuff to be honest

also hooray, Astolfo :toot:

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Nate RFB posted:

Now that's very interesting, I never stopped to think what the card type meant for a NP outside of its potential for how it affects the rest of the cards. So the card type affects the damage output (with Quick surprisingly being the biggest bang for your buck), but I assume the NP card's placement in the chain doesn't matter? I remember that being mentioned a few times. Because I know that normally a Buster Card going first is 150% while going third it's 210%.

If the NP card goes first in the chain, then it gives its card type to the other two as per usual. But its damage doesn't get affected by where you place it in the chain, no, which is why generally you put it first.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
34 lotto boxes. I thought I was burning out but as soon as I streamlined the process, it was smooth like silk. Only misfortune is that I am out of apples.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Can we access the raffle even after the quests close, like the shop, or does that go away too? I'm trying to focus hard on farming the 40AP rather than opening boxes.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah all NP cards are counted as first-in-chain when resolving their stargen, NP gen and damage.
So a Buster NP always has 150% x NP multiplier damage, a Quick NP always has 80% base stargen and an Arts NP always has 3xbase NP gen.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Nate RFB posted:

Something like Orion/Euryale/Tamamo? Lots of anti-male damage potential, skills/NP to reduce NP guages and charm him, Fox Wedding boosts, skill cooldown reduction, etc.

You seem to be misunderstanding, the card affects the multiplier added to the multiplier of the NP. None of the card type NPs really are better or worse, the NPs have bigger damage multipliers to compensate for lower multipliers in the card. Quick has twice the multiplier of Buster because a Quick card offers half the damage multiplier. Otherwise, people would be even more off their rockers for Buster cards and they couldn’t sell characters who had non Buster NPs. No, I mean even more than in the post Merlin world.

Ironically this means without Merlin Buster NPs are slightly hobbled because Arts and Quick chains and cards form a function that occurs regardless, but Buster card bonuses are compensated for and their chains don’t affect NPs.

also Astolfo rating is trash, i demand a reappraisal

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Gologle posted:

Can we access the raffle even after the quests close, like the shop, or does that go away too? I'm trying to focus hard on farming the 40AP rather than opening boxes.

Thuryl posted:

Since I didn't see anybody else answer this yet: yes, you have a week after the event concludes. Unspent socks and other event materials go bye-bye on the 18th.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh whoops, thank you, I didn't see it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BlondRobin posted:

You seem to be misunderstanding, the card affects the multiplier added to the multiplier of the NP. None of the card type NPs really are better or worse, the NPs have bigger damage multipliers to compensate for lower multipliers in the card. Quick has twice the multiplier of Buster because a Quick card offers half the damage multiplier. Otherwise, people would be even more off their rockers for Buster cards and they couldn’t sell characters who had non Buster NPs. No, I mean even more than in the post Merlin world.

Ironically this means without Merlin Buster NPs are slightly hobbled because Arts and Quick chains and cards form a function that occurs regardless, but Buster card bonuses are compensated for and their chains don’t affect NPs.
I basically mean this, based on what Kyte listed for calculations:
Caesar (NP5) = 2000% x 0.8 = 1600%
David (NP5) = 1000% x 1.5 = 1500%
Assassin Shiki (NP5) = 1500% x 1 = 1500%

That would mean that everything else being equal (which it never is obviously), Quick would deal more damage. All of this interesting because I always looked at David's 1000% base for his NP and thought it seemed kind of mediocre at first blush.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 10, 2017

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

just, you know, fyi

Oh god, this so very much. I want to scream each time I begin 50 AP quest and see Altera with two of those jerks. They are sapping my will to continue grinding.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's an important Card Positioning Tip: TamaCat goes to sleep immediately after firing her NP off so if you want her to hit anyone else (with some nice Busters for example) that round those cards have to be placed before the NP card. Otherwise they just don't go off.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Only a couple more boxes for me before I'm done. Want to get Nursery rhyme and Nobu up to 70 (from 60) to match the many other 70s I've gotten from this event, and probably get Jack's last skill to 6 (currently sitting at 6/6/5). Then maybe I'll use my +6/7 ribbon income to get all the Fous remaining for her. Not a bad haul, all things considered.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

I don't think you can have a positive for a character be that they are that character.

This gets us through March right? Jalter isn't till May or something though so I might hold off on any big summons till then.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I don't think you can have a positive for a character be that they are that character.

wrong

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

All the Divines popping in are another big, massive break from the norm, among other reasons because they are also not residents of the throne. So the various possessors/hijackers wandering around, along with our younger two Gorgons - though Medusa is a weird case herself, only summonable due to the grail getting corrupted in the 3rd war if I recall correctly - should all be completely impossible to summon as well.

Hell, certain individuals like Tamamo (and probably Altera) were only summonable in the Moon Cell because it operates under completely different, technological, rules to the normal summoning ritual in those worlds where magic's still fine. So who the gently caress knows how Chaldea's system works, given it's at least theoretically based on the Tohsaka/Einzbern/Makiri model as opposed to somehow using the Moon Cell. This might eventually be explained, it might not - I don't know.

Pretty sure Tamamo is able to be summoned since she's not actually a god, since the original Tamamo-no-mae is only a facet born from Amaterasu, and the tamamo we have is a facet of that Tamamo too.
And for Altera, we are only summoning the mortal born from the shell of the white giant, which was only an avatar of the actual Altera. Which was why there's would be a servant version of her.

Its a similar case with Heracles. We are summoning the mortal Heracles, not the one that eventually became a god.

Apparently because Stheno and Euryale are so weak as goddess, they are actually stronger as servants.

Fuyuki grail system was designed to summon normal heroic spirits, but became able to summon 'anti-hero' heroic spirits because of the grail being tainted.

Randomzx fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 10, 2017

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
the real answer is ‘don’t think too much about it’ because we also have stuff like the Tamamo Nine becoming servants despite only ever existing because of a desperate decision by servant-Tamamo in the Mooncell. Unless it’s done in Tamacat’s interlude or something the game does not even TRY to explain how they’re summoned, much less by the Chaldean system.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Alright, I see now. I didn't realize NPs were calculated this way when I was looking everything up, so it seemed to me like 600% was decently high especially considering he's the only dude with an attack stat that high being funneled into that multiplier on aoe damage.

Looks like you need to reevaluate all the servants again if you went this long without knowing that NP damage are also affected by the type of card it is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kindly gently caress off, I knew they were effected by cards I even say it in the OP. I forgot about the damage multiplier when taking this into consideration, but it doesn't invalidate every single thing I've said about the characters.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

BlondRobin posted:

the real answer is ‘don’t think too much about it’ because we also have stuff like the Tamamo Nine becoming servants despite only ever existing because of a desperate decision by servant-Tamamo in the Mooncell. Unless it’s done in Tamacat’s interlude or something the game does not even TRY to explain how they’re summoned, much less by the Chaldean system.

Tamacat's interlude is mostly her hunting to make food since she, like regular Tamamo, just wants to be a good wife. :3:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

David is a shepherd who keeps some freaky sheep, that's for sure. He is also a greedy jerk that wouldn't give Cat just one.

Mistaking Asterios for a bull to be slaughtered for high class beef was a bit mean of Cat however.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Randomzx posted:

Looks like you need to reevaluate all the servants again if you went this long without knowing that NP damage are also affected by the type of card it is.
lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

To the JP people: Did anyone think of a way to beat Agarta's chapter 14 without a max skill Merlin or the pay to win button?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

genericnick posted:

To the JP people: Did anyone think of a way to beat Agarta's chapter 14 without a max skill Merlin or the pay to win button?

Here's a low star run of that fight. What I did was pump Okita full of steroids and have her run a train over the big guy and then used Jack to clean up Columbus. I doubt you have both of them though, so you're gonna have to find something that works for yourself probably.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Holy hell that damage on Euryale's NP :aaaaa:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Here's a low star run of that fight. What I did was pump Okita full of steroids and have her run a train over the big guy and then used Jack to clean up Columbus. I doubt you have both of them though, so you're gonna have to find something that works for yourself probably.

I gave up and used a friend Merlin. Still had to re do it because I forgot about the NP seal on my Lalter.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BlondRobin posted:

The answer is that in the Fate universe, basically every rule exists solely so that someone can break it. There's exceptions and cheaters to basically every little thing, ranging from the rules of the Holy Grail to even the fundamental laws and principles of magic itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Baal posted:

It's seeing videos like this that helped me decide to never spend a Quartz to revive and just try, try again until I find the right team and strategy.