Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, isn't that used in the parks though I know I have seen it in construction areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

Wait, isn't that used in the parks though I know I have seen it in construction areas.

Yes, but it is not supposed to be attributed to Walt.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Anya posted:

That skyliner idea does sound super cool. Though, I’m going to be sad if it clogs up the best chill entrance to a park ever. International Gateway is best entrance ever.

Glad I'm staying at an epcot resort this trip before IG gets crazy, really looking forward to being so close to the park with relatively few other people around.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
What's the word on the current 4 hour trip back to MCO via Magical Express? I was reading that they are now requiring you to get picked up 4 hours prior to your flight instead of 3 over the current holidays due to MCO being a cluster gently caress. I booked a 5pm flight back home in February 18, and I'm hoping to not lose that extra hour.

And yes! I'm so happy to be finally staying at Beach Club before that walkway gets crazy. The whole love I have for that is due to the no wait line to get in World Showcase.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I would always try to get there four hours before anyways so good on Disney for doing that.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anya posted:

What's the word on the current 4 hour trip back to MCO via Magical Express? I was reading that they are now requiring you to get picked up 4 hours prior to your flight instead of 3 over the current holidays due to MCO being a cluster gently caress. I booked a 5pm flight back home in February 18, and I'm hoping to not lose that extra hour.

And yes! I'm so happy to be finally staying at Beach Club before that walkway gets crazy. The whole love I have for that is due to the no wait line to get in World Showcase.

MCO is a clusterfuck with the holiday travel. They may go back to 3 hours after things calm down after the first of the year.

You can alwasy Uber/Taxi/Shuttle if you don't want to use DME. Some folks give DME fake airline flight information to get around it.

Even with DME picking up at 4 hours some folks have mentioned cutting it closer than they like at MCO during peak times. It could take an hour for DME to drop you off at the airport depending on where you are on the route, leaving 3 hours from dropoff to flight leaving. Folks have reported 2 hour long TSA security lines, with planes boarding 30 minutes before takeoff that's only 30 minutes of extra time.

I'd say it's even money they go back to 3 hours before your trip though so I wouldn't stress out about it.

The really cranky people on the various disney forums have things like 5 or 6AM flights and they're getting picked up at 1 or 2 in the morning. They def don't like the current situation.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Yeah, I encountered a bad day at MCO in April of last year. Granted, there was a massive storm that was covering the entire southeast, but I ended up missing my connection to Charlotte, as the 4pm flight didn't take off until 7 (my flight time) and my flight didn't arrive until 1130pm. Ended up flying to the other airport near me in a jumpseat and finding a grandma to pick me up and return me to my original airport so I could get my car. 2 hours plus to get through TSA, and there were only half of the security corridors open - for an airport that big, they seem to be clusterfucked a lot.

unsmart move on my behalf this morning, should have picked my AK FP first, every flight of passage was gone by 705am.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Anya posted:

unsmart move on my behalf this morning, should have picked my AK FP first, every flight of passage was gone by 705am.

Awww, rookie move. We are disappoint.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

How much more crowded can the Skyliner make the International Gateway, given only six people can fit on a single gondola?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We were talking about this last night as there was a piece in the news on the new gondolas. Like everything else new that Disney opens it will be a three ring clusterfuck for years probably until the newness wears off. That's my two cents.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Until they start have to closing it when it’s windy or too rainy out like all other ski lifts and people will stop using it a lot because it’s unreliable. 🤷‍♀️

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm hoping it's like the continuous track rides like people mover or spaceship earth where the cars are just constantly moving at a set pace and don't stop for loading.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Skyliners are being developed by Doppelmayr which is an enormous European manufacturer of these things all over the world. They can operate at up to around 60 MPH of wind and have built-in emergency features to get everybody on the ground if something goes really bad.

Continuous track would own.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Now if it breaks down often and they don't have a good plan to extract people across would be miles of track, now imagine the family in pod 54 stuck somewhere between Epcot and MK has a guest that has a heart condition and now he's having some episode.. picture that nightmare unfolding.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Wouldn't be too much different if the same thing happened on the monorail to be honest.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
True but there would be how many of these in flight at once, spread out across miles and you had to go one by one to collect X guests if the poo poo hits the fan and they cannot safely restart the system..

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From experience, ski lift Evacs are not fun. Granted that’s on a mountain, but this one is apparently going to go over bodies of water? So good luck Disney.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tim Whatley posted:

The Skyliners are being developed by Doppelmayr which is an enormous European manufacturer of these things all over the world. They can operate at up to around 60 MPH of wind and have built-in emergency features to get everybody on the ground if something goes really bad.

Continuous track would own.

Yeah, this. Don’t think of the ones at ski resorts, think of the ones that are purpose built for public transit.

Like, look at this. 10 miles of cable, thousand foot elevation changes, and it manages all right.

Also apparently a line has a capacity of about 6,000 per hour. That has to rival what the bus system can handle, right? comparing point to point, anyway.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just from a logistics standpoint, it's a lot easier than bus. Not to mention emissions.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey Empress Brosephine you're a cast member, yes?

Do you have a way I can reach out to you I have some questions that I don't want to post in the thread but you don't have plat.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to be for the reservation center but I’ll definitely still try to help out. My email is Tomisthebest at gmail

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Flights of Wonder is more or less still a bird show but is becoming themed with Up characters

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...07171213170026C

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

Flights of Wonder is more or less still a bird show but is becoming themed with Up characters

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...07171213170026C

presumably Kevin would be there as well?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Boo.

I hope the guy who plays Guano Joe is still involved.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm not a first timer, but I guess I'll post my plans.

Wife's mom and sister live in Orlando and are...Disney people. Not like people here, but in a slightly unhealthy way. I'm a big fan of the parks and rides myself, even though I was 27 before ever visiting one. This is just to explain why we're going at Christmas.

Anyway, we fly in the 19th. 20th is a Magic Kingdom day with no flexibility. It's the only day we can see the non-holiday fireworks, which is important to me because I hear they're amazing. Lunch at Skipper Cantina, some time from 3-7 to go to trader sam's.

21st, Hollywood. Brown Derby lunch, Fantasmic (my favorite show), Star Wars fireworks.

22nd, Animal Kingdom. Tiffins Lunch, Rivers of Light. Waiting in a long line for Avatar Flying thing.

The above are just for me and my wife, because of money reasons. We're trying to fit everything we (I) want to do in the first few days so I can relax when we go with the rest of the family. I like to optimize while they go every weekend and quite a few weeknights. Their pace is slightly to glacial for me, if I have things I haven't done yet.

We have 7 other days and mostly I've been picking parks and fast passes just in case we go that day. We're going to try to take our 2 yr old nephew to Disney Junior because he's very fond of singing and dancing, and he doesn't need his own entry pass.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. :shobon:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

"and sister live in Orlando and are...Disney people. Not like people here, but in a slightly unhealthy way."

I see what you're getting at :v:

Plans look good. Tiffins is amazing and definitely worth splurging for. Good call on seeing Happily Ever After as well, it really is amazing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No EPCOT? You sure you want to waste a day at Hollywood? Remember there’s only like three adult rides now.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Me and mines spend half a day at Hollywood by riding a ride/watching a show, then go see when the Citizens of Hollywood(improve/crowd work/sketch group dressed like golden age hollywood) come out to perform every hour/half hour till about 5pm or so for their final show of the day. Then some of us bounce to another park, well mostly I bounce to another park, cause I'm crazy and find Fantasmic boring, cept for the finale. Also how did I miss that you can meet ball droid in the park?!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I met BB8 back in May! He was so cute! I also met Star Lord and Baby Groot. Baby Groot is so cool because he's interactive.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If the 20th is the only day when Happily Ever After is showing for several days will 7 pm be early enough for them to get a decent spot? I ended up watching from town square (or whatever the square when you come into the park is called) when I went in October. The crowd was massive because the Halloween party took a bunch of show nights away. I forget what time we showed up though. Next time I go I’m gonna burn a fp on it.

Dren fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 12, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We always walk up like 5 minutes before show time and get prime spots. They keep an alleyway open down the center to usher in last minute people now and we just do that. Best spot is between the partners statue and Casey’s Corner.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any of you going to EPCOT can pick me up one of those Thank the Phoenician hats? Please? ❤️❤️

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Empress Brosephine posted:

No EPCOT? You sure you want to waste a day at Hollywood? Remember there’s only like three adult rides now.

We'll be doing Epcot probably. The idea with Hollywood is we can sleep in and still do everything we want. For the record, I hate Toy Story because I don't think the wait is worth it, and the first time I was there they made me wait in line for 3 hours to ride a second time after we just used our passes. Still got fast passes because my wife loves it. Fantasmic is my favorite thing and I love sitting in the front row and freezing from the spray and feeling the fire.

Dren posted:

If the 20th is the only day when Happily Ever After is showing for several days will 7 pm be early enough for them to get a decent spot?

The other days are Holiday fireworks, which we'll see, but I want to see the regular one. I'd ban the Jingle Cruise if I could.

Bottom Liner posted:

Best spot is between the partners statue and Casey’s Corner.

This also our secret spot. :tinfoil:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Braksgirl posted:

I met BB8 back in May! He was so cute! I also met Star Lord and Baby Groot. Baby Groot is so cool because he's interactive.

Hey, this reminds me, when I was at EPCOT I saw this cool little motorized vehicle with Beaker and Dr. Bunson in it, from the Muppets, and it was rolling around doing little shows. I didn't catch the entire event, but it looked like it was directly answering questions from the crowd, and moving out of peoples' way and stuff, which was really cool, but left me curious about how it worked. It wasn't big enough to fit a person into it, I have to assume it was remote controlled? Or perhaps (probably) it was just scripted and since I only caught a few seconds of it, I assumed more functionality than it actually had. Anyone have any details on this?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Behind Spaceship Earth was at one time a lounge just for teachers that they could go into and use the Library. I think it was open until 2002? Anyways about a year ago they cleaned out a room in that space that overlooks the courtyard where that muppet thing is. So there is a operator / actor in that room equipped with a headset and a screen with a live feed to those muppets that can talk and answer and comment on people they see.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Funkmaster General posted:

Hey, this reminds me, when I was at EPCOT I saw this cool little motorized vehicle with Beaker and Dr. Bunson in it, from the Muppets, and it was rolling around doing little shows. I didn't catch the entire event, but it looked like it was directly answering questions from the crowd, and moving out of peoples' way and stuff, which was really cool, but left me curious about how it worked. It wasn't big enough to fit a person into it, I have to assume it was remote controlled? Or perhaps (probably) it was just scripted and since I only caught a few seconds of it, I assumed more functionality than it actually had. Anyone have any details on this?

It's likely remote controlled, with pre-canned responses that someone is typing in as they interact with guests. If you watch some videos on youtube (called Muppet Mobile Lab) you can see a cast member standing unobtrusively nearby controlling it. If the responses are live, I'd assume it works similar to turtle talk and laugh floor.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Disney randomly dropped this Galaxy's Edge photo and said more details coming Saturday

Definitely looks like the walkway to your Millennium Falcon cockpit

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I’m going to the Galaxy’s Edge discussion at Galactic Nights on Saturday, really curious to see what they have to show.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Tim Whatley posted:

Disney randomly dropped this Galaxy's Edge photo and said more details coming Saturday

Definitely looks like the walkway to your Millennium Falcon cockpit

Hnnnnnngggg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Lincoln posted:

Hnnnnnngggg

:same:

Holy crap, this is cool. I am looking forward to this even more now.