Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was about to post that this episode was awkwardly paced and kinda bad but then then the fight scenes blew my loving mind.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Someone i follow on twitter just alerted me to the fact that this thing got an animated series and wow, i just binged episodes 1-10 in a single day.

I’m glad it’s getting some professional attention; even though i was originally was exposed to the series through low quality scans and questionable translations i’m very glad to see it getting a very well directed animated adaptation.

PHOS DID NOTHING WRONG.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

still time for Phos to ruin Christmas

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

lets hang out posted:

still time for Phos to ruin Christmas

Phos would never (intentionally) ruin Christmas :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just an update: do not call the gems with female pronouns. ty!!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

just an update: do not call the gems with female pronouns. ty!!

Several of them were referring to each other by "otouto", i.e. younger brother, this episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

Several of them were referring to each other by "otouto", i.e. younger brother, this episode.
Do Not Use Gendered Pronouns For The Gems

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm gonna use gendered pronouns for the gems.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Diamond is a good brother to Bort, but I'm glad she was able to win a fight on her own. It seems like a big character moment for him.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

paragon1 posted:

I'm gonna use gendered pronouns for the gems.

i just use male pronouns because anything else seems too much effort.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The word "they" is two letters longer than "he". It is in fact, incredibly easy.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Translating 'niichan' as 'Diamond' should be a war crime.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh gods here we go again with the pronoun discussion. :nallears:

Scrree posted:

Translating 'niichan' as 'Diamond' should be a war crime.

That one did stand out to me and made me wonder "why?".

(I've heard Amazon's translations for Yu3 are also bad)

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 10, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The word "they" is two letters longer than "he". It is in fact, incredibly easy.

Nobody actually cares about this in the context of the show. They are fictional characters with no agency or feelings to respect. Therefore, it doesn't loving matter.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
They decided with "Diamond" because they're being consistent with the Viz translations and their own setup. Bort yelling "BROTHER!!!" at Dia there would've been weird and stand out strangely because it'd never happened before in the localization. It's pretty simple

There Bias Two posted:

Nobody actually cares about this in the context of the show. They are fictional characters with no agency or feelings to respect. Therefore, it doesn't loving matter.

It's still really easy tho, so

Jsyk: this is actually the worst argument to be made for anything. This is just you saying you don't want to. Be more honest about it

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It'd be even easier to talk about what's actually going on in the show instead of policing how other people talk about it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mighty Dicktron posted:

They decided with "Diamond" because they're being consistent with the Viz translations and their own setup. Bort yelling "BROTHER!!!" at Dia there would've been weird and stand out strangely because it'd never happened before in the localization. It's pretty simple

It's still really easy tho, so

Jsyk: this is actually the worst argument to be made for anything. This is just you saying you don't want to. Be more honest about it

Don't tell me what I want or do want. They don't exist. This argument is moot.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
"I am allowed to decide anything in fiction is exactly how I say it. Everything I say is law and you can't argue with me."

Nice

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What should we talk about? The great character moments this episode? The weird new Lunarian and its weird new behavior? Phos being able to talk to jellyfish and having hallucinations? The great camera work? Bort and Diamond's relationship?

No let's insist on no one ever using the words he or she to refer to characters who just referred to each other as brother multiple times in the most recent episode, and have everyone get all mad in thread for the millionth time. That's what's really worth discussing in a thread for talking about Land of the Lustrous.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Regarding the Lunarian, I couldn't figure out if was supposed to represent a spider or something else.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

iospace posted:

Regarding the Lunarian, I couldn't figure out if was supposed to represent a spider or something else.

It looked like a weird monkey/spider hybrid to me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mighty Dicktron posted:

"I am allowed to decide anything in fiction is exactly how I say it. Everything I say is law and you can't argue with me."

Nice

That's literally what you're saying though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

paragon1 posted:

It looked like a weird monkey/spider hybrid to me.

I'm pretty sure it was an ape of some kind. Do apes have particular significance in Buddhist mythology?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The multiple arms and eyes led my thoughts to Shiva depictions, but that's too few arms and eyes, and not even Buddhism.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nielsm posted:

The multiple arms and eyes led my thoughts to Shiva depictions, but that's too few arms and eyes, and not even Buddhism.

Am I mixing up my iconography? Is it Hindu imagery?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

There Bias Two posted:

I'm pretty sure it was an ape of some kind. Do apes have particular significance in Buddhist mythology?

Well, you've got the Monkey King in journey to the west. Monkeys also play a pretty big role in the Hindu Ramayana iirc.

From wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanara#/media/File:Hanuman_in_Terra_Cotta.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanara#/media/File:Rama_and_monkey_chiefs.jpg

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

There Bias Two posted:

That's literally what you're saying though.

The only reason why I'm not actually going into significantly more detail is because a lot of that is manga material. I have advance knowledge on how these characters act, identify, and the implications of the storytelling surrounding the language they use and why the way the official English translations do it is a perfectly fair and accurate way of doing it. I literally can't go into extreme detail without spoiling one of the biggest mysteries of the series.

So instead I'll just say this: using nongendered pronouns is the most appropriate way to refer to the characters in English, flat. You're ignoring both the official release guidelines (since both the Viz manga and the subtitles for the anime,) and the implications behind the characters. I can totally understand doing the latter, and even the former, really, but the only way I can see that is if you're being completely arbitrary about it or just straight-up hate using nongendered pronouns. It's not any harder to do so, nor is it hard to remember, and if you claim this then I have to wonder what will happen if you ever met an actual nonbinary person. Chances are, you'd just be a slow-to-learn rear end in a top hat.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

iospace posted:

I'm guessing more animalistic Asura. Lunarians borrow visuals from Hinduism as well as Buddhism so it kinda fits.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i wish i understood budhism or hinduism because this show sure does have a lot of pretty imagery of it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh you have advanced knowledge? Then please shut up about other people not acting upon it. Seriously, stop policing others.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Good work, you're good at showing how good you are at reading the first sentence. Maybe you'll read deeper next time, or think about content!!

The show's imagery and a good chunk of plot beats are 100% purestrain Buddhist in nature. It's really fascinating how deep it goes on this.

Vv - I'm not going to make any more posts on this, so here's just an edit. Nothing what I said was sarcasm. What I said was you only read the first sentence and didn't read any deeper. You see, here, the joke is that I'm saying you're only doing surface-level reading of both the series in question, and also what I say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Good work, you're good at showing how good you are at reading the first sentence. Maybe you'll read deeper next time, or think about content!!

The show's imagery and a good chunk of plot beats are 100% purestrain Buddhist in nature. It's really fascinating how deep it goes on this.

What part of what I said suggests I didn't read your first sentence? I'm genuinely curious about how your brain functions.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay let's talk spoiler policies then.
In my opinion, if a story has a central mystery that it spends a long time revealing, but someone explaining the basics of that mystery in a few sentences destroys any enjoyment you could have from following along in the story to slowly reach the full reveal, doesn't that just mean the story is crap? If you can perfectly summarize fifty chapters in fifty words, maybe the story spent forty-nine chapters too many, or the author is just bad.
Personally, I often enjoy a story more when I know what to look forward to, just in broad strokes. It makes me eager in anticipation of exactly how the details will come together to the conclusion I know ahead of time.

By all means, please spoil me on why these issues are so important. It will probably increase my enjoyment of the story.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've read the manga too, and the scans get so bad that i can't imagine taking any degree of nuance from them as lore law, or whatever. can y'all just stop the petty pronoun fight that shouldn't even have been kicked up again

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

There Bias Two posted:

What part of what I said suggests I didn't read your first sentence? I'm genuinely curious about how your brain functions.

I'm wondering if you even bother reading what they say at all since:

Mighty Dicktron posted:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm wondering if you even bother reading what they say at all since:

It reads sarcastically to me.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

nielsm posted:

In my opinion, if a story has a central mystery that it spends a long time revealing, but someone explaining the basics of that mystery in a few sentences destroys any enjoyment you could have from following along in the story to slowly reach the full reveal, doesn't that just mean the story is crap? If you can perfectly summarize fifty chapters in fifty words, maybe the story spent forty-nine chapters too many, or the author is just bad.
Personally, I often enjoy a story more when I know what to look forward to, just in broad strokes. It makes me eager in anticipation of exactly how the details will come together to the conclusion I know ahead of time.

Okay cool your opinion on spoiler policy is different from most people. Nice, good work. Personally I'm the same way!!
No one should publicly spoil a mystery just because you'd be okay with it, my dude. I don't even think that knowing would harm anyone's enjoyment of the series at all, but I still don't think someone should just say what the central mystery is, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I thought Magus Bride would be my favorite anime of the season, but this beats it hands down. It's pretty funny because I've read both manga's and I remember liking Magus Bride's manga quite a lot better. HnK's manga was good but not great for me. Orange has done a spectacular job in terms of music, voice acting, comedic timing, and choreography.

Apparently this is doing pretty well in Japan? I would love a second season.

Have picture of the great Phosphophyllite

Mineral Classics Hall of Fame

• Locked thread