Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

The difficulty is hosed up in the game. Feel free to turn it down if you wanna run and gun more.

Yeah I dropped the difficulty down once it stopped being fun. I'm glad to know it wasnt just me. I can't imagine playing this on the highest difficulty. The previous Wolfensteins weren't too bad, I wonder why they ramped it up in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I don't know if they count as "sales" the codes they include with graphic cards. Most of my coworkers wich were bugging me to buy Destiny 2 on release stopped playing. I'll get it with a complete edition and on sale in about a year or so wich seems like the best idea.
Thats not how Destiny games work, there won't be a "complete edition" on sale until Destiny 3 is announced. That's like saying you'll get the complete edition of an MMO a year after it launches.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The combat in Hellblade is really bad. Feels like there's a half second lag in everything you do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Are you playing on a Pro? I'd recommend switching to the 60fps performance mode if you do, you'll get much snappier inputs that way. Otherwise the timing window on perfect parries is very forgiving, and you can usually wombo combo the standard bad guys after pulling one off.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Akuma posted:

Thats not how Destiny games work, there won't be a "complete edition" on sale until Destiny 3 is announced. That's like saying you'll get the complete edition of an MMO a year after it launches.

What? When Taken King came out you could buy Base Destiny, the two expansions and Taken King for like £45 in the UK as a complete edition. I traded in my base Destiny disc copy and got that with the discount since I hadn't bought any of the DLC prior to that, pretty good deal. I assume they did something similar when Rise of Iron came out the next year but wasn't really paying attention at that point.

It's definitely going to happen next year when they release a similar sized expansion to 2 so waiting for that is definitely a smart way to go if you don't want to buy an incomplete game right now.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

thebardyspoon posted:

What? When Taken King came out you could buy Base Destiny, the two expansions and Taken King for like £45 in the UK as a complete edition. I traded in my base Destiny disc copy and got that with the discount since I hadn't bought any of the DLC prior to that, pretty good deal. I assume they did something similar when Rise of Iron came out the next year but wasn't really paying attention at that point.

It's definitely going to happen next year when they release a similar sized expansion to 2 so waiting for that is definitely a smart way to go if you don't want to buy an incomplete game right now.
You literally just acknowledged that you bought an "incomplete" version of the game. Destiny 2 isn't going to be complete in a year.

Yeah each year it costs the same for everything so far as it did the year before, but you're missing out on the live events during that year and if you want to play again next year you're going to have to pay the £30 or whatever for that year's expansions or the complete edition again for £45. Your idea of leapfrogging releases to save money only really works once and you're not going to see/get the seasonal live content.

If you bought in at Taken King or even Rise of Iron at launch you probably didn't do the first two raids or the endgame Prison of Elders stuff for some examples, because at that point there was no real reason to, and you wouldn't have seen the (admittedly small scale) Queen's Wrath stuff, or the Crota's End or House of Wolves world events, or taken part in the Iron Banner for it's unique gear.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Are you playing on a Pro? I'd recommend switching to the 60fps performance mode if you do, you'll get much snappier inputs that way. Otherwise the timing window on perfect parries is very forgiving, and you can usually wombo combo the standard bad guys after pulling one off.

Yeah, already played at 60fps.

Not really feeling the game to be honest. Once you experience the whole thing with the positional audio for around 15 minutes it just becomes whatever and you are left with a fairly mediocre game from an actual gameplay point of view.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Well, I disagree. I enjoyed the combat for what it was, but it's definitely not the highlight of the experience. It's not for everyone but to me the whole presentation was extremely powerful.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, already played at 60fps.

Not really feeling the game to be honest. Once you experience the whole thing with the positional audio for around 15 minutes it just becomes whatever and you are left with a fairly mediocre game from an actual gameplay point of view.

if you're looking for pure gameplay Hellblade isn't going to wow anyone. it's strength is in it's presentation, and how it handles it's story and subject matter.

E: i thought the gameplay was alright. perfect parries are satisfying. boss fights were fun, but theres to many jobbers you just have to beat down.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

Because nothing about MH: World is scummy lootbox garbage. Also, I really don't get why people are calling it a botched demo. I haven't touched a MH game since Tri, and I was able to quickly shake off my rust and kill the Great Jagras solo in about 2 minutes. Seems like it did its job well in my opinion.

I think it seems to be a fun demo for folks who are familiar with the series; but it took me like 8-9 minutes to kill that same monster because I've never played a MH game before and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I didn't mind the controls so much as the fact that I had no sense of whether or not I was fighting well. I might give it another whirl before the demo disappears; but as it stands I think I won't be purchasing it until it is on sale.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
TLOU(2) panel ended with them saying we'll see footage ... at E3 in 2018.

Lot of trailer blue balls by the end of 2017.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL that best selling game list is crazy. Did For Honor really sell well comparably to those other games?

Also of those 10, only two of them don’t have MTX lootboxes, and HZD might be the only one without MTX at all, if we’re counting Amiibo as MTX, which I kinda do.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Attitude Indicator posted:

if you're looking for pure gameplay Hellblade isn't going to wow anyone. it's strength is in it's presentation, and how it handles it's story and subject matter.

E: i thought the gameplay was alright. perfect parries are satisfying. boss fights were fun, but theres to many jobbers you just have to beat down.

Yeah, I actually can't believe how hard I'm bouncing off this game.

It sounded right up my street but pretty much everything about the gameplay is poor and the story has reached the point where I'm thinking "ok, ok, I get it" during every cutscene.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL that best selling game list is crazy. Did For Honor really sell well comparably to those other games?

If you rely on this thread to tell you what's popular and we'll liked you'll generally get the opposite of reality.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, I actually can't believe how hard I'm bouncing off this game.

It sounded right up my street but pretty much everything about the gameplay is poor and the story has reached the point where I'm thinking "ok, ok, I get it" during every cutscene.

I dunno, The story goes some really loving cool places. I wasn't really fully sold on it until after finishing the first 2 largish areas (raven and fire area). I'm glad I stuck it out because it was one of my favorite games this year.

Imo the combat was visceral enough that I enjoyed it. It's really simple and skews more cinematic than gamey, and there are probably a few too many mooks to chop down. it's not the highlight of the game by any means but I don't think it dragged it down and the boss fights were really good.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 10, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MONHUN will sell fine. Sales numbers are loving boring conversation

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bust Rodd posted:

Also of those 10, only two of them don’t have MTX lootboxes, and HZD might be the only one without MTX at all, if we’re counting Amiibo as MTX, which I kinda do.

people love gross white dudes with beards. also ubisoft games. people are scum with poor taste

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm pretty sure that if MEA had been in the top ten for the year, we'd be getting DLC and there would already be development on a sequel, regardless of the critical response.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I'm pretty sure that if MEA had been in the top ten for the year, we'd be getting DLC and there would already be development on a sequel, regardless of the critical response.

I'm pretty sure that list is only Top 10 US sales. It also doesn't include PUBG because it's technically still in early access.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I'm pretty sure that list is only Top 10 US sales. It also doesn't include PUBG because it's technically still in early access.

Is it because of ea or because its retail only?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The way games sales data is reported in the US I believe it includes both retail and digital, and does not go by units sold, only gross. So games with super deluxe mega hype $200 collector editions are slightly skewed upwards.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

AutomaticPrince posted:

Yeah I dropped the difficulty down once it stopped being fun. I'm glad to know it wasnt just me. I can't imagine playing this on the highest difficulty. The previous Wolfensteins weren't too bad, I wonder why they ramped it up in this one.

Yeah definitely not just you. I've been playing it at the second easiest difficulty pretty much from the get go and I still get my rear end kicked on a regular basis. Courthouse fight definitely took me at least a good twenty tries. Granted I haven't played an FPS in years so some of that is shaking off the rust, but still.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm sure this has come up before, but MH World has me thinking about upgrading to a Pro.

If I can sell my base PS4 to cover like two thirds of the cost (with the holiday PS4 Pro price reduction), but I don't have a 4k TV (and won't for a while) so I won't necessarily get the most out of it, is the upgrade worth it? It's certainly cheaper than the big PC upgrade I might do otherwise, and I do like more stable frame rates on my PS4 games. I'm not sure how much difference it makes if you don't have a 4k TV and already have a PS4, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think MonHun World is going to be better received than some people expect. Like, sure it's got kind of a steep learning curve and is pretty different from a lot of similar games, but we're also living in the age of twitch. A lot of people who buy this game aren't going to be stumbling through it for the first time having no clue what to expect. They will have watched a stream of it already and have an idea that it's a weird game.

Like, sure, it's still gonna turn some people off, but this is the year that Nier: Automata, of all things, was super well received. And I think that's in part because the internet helped people know what to expect.

The fact that it's like a coop mmo gameplay loop, but with no loot boxes or pay to win bullshit, is going to appeal to lots of people.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Noctone posted:

Yeah definitely not just you. I've been playing it at the second easiest difficulty pretty much from the get go and I still get my rear end kicked on a regular basis. Courthouse fight definitely took me at least a good twenty tries. Granted I haven't played an FPS in years so some of that is shaking off the rust, but still.

Wolf 2's difficulty was more obnoxious than fun to me even with plenty of recent FPS experience. There's some good stuff in the game but stage and combat design both felt completely unsatisfying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unsatisfying is a good word to describe Wolf TNC

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Harrow posted:

I'm sure this has come up before, but MH World has me thinking about upgrading to a Pro.

If I can sell my base PS4 to cover like two thirds of the cost (with the holiday PS4 Pro price reduction), but I don't have a 4k TV (and won't for a while) so I won't necessarily get the most out of it, is the upgrade worth it? It's certainly cheaper than the big PC upgrade I might do otherwise, and I do like more stable frame rates on my PS4 games. I'm not sure how much difference it makes if you don't have a 4k TV and already have a PS4, though.

I was tempted too; apparently, the Pro does little or nothing to improve the frame rate in MHW (beta, anyway.) If it's a different story on release, who knows!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Some people have been streaming the MH demo for 24 hours straight and this clip is :black101: as gently caress: https://clips.twitch.tv/RespectfulScaryChickpeaRitzMitz

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So you can actually play with friends in the beta? The blurb I read said you couldn't so I just did single player.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

veni veni veni posted:

So you can actually play with friends in the beta? The blurb I read said you couldn't so I just did single player.

If you make your own room I think you can pw protect it, or set friends only. Not sure tho I just did quickplay when I messed with it yesterday.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can join games by room id, so if you make a room, you can share the id with your friends and have them join it that way.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Montalvo posted:

I think it seems to be a fun demo for folks who are familiar with the series; but it took me like 8-9 minutes to kill that same monster because I've never played a MH game before and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I didn't mind the controls so much as the fact that I had no sense of whether or not I was fighting well. I might give it another whirl before the demo disappears; but as it stands I think I won't be purchasing it until it is on sale.

There's nothing wrong with that time at all, especially for a first timer. Also, what weapon did you use? There's 14 of them and you might simply need to find the right weapon that fits you best.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
Monster Hunter beta - the combat in this one feels so much better than in the other ones that I have played. I have the WiiU game and I've tried the latest (demo) on 3ds and the combat made me ragequit in 5 minutes.

This one, however, feels correct. If they can wrap up the presentation layer it will be a hit. I didn't feel like I was fighting a boss monster in the single player missions in the demo. Instead, I felt like I was a rally car driver fighting the clock.

In the multiplayer mode I never found a single clue, just followed the glowing bullshit to the boss. Always found it within 5 minutes and we'd spam attack it dead in another 5 minutes.

I feel like there needs to be a demo that puts things together in a better fashion. I'm still not sure what the game is actually trying to do.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

There's nothing wrong with that time at all, especially for a first timer. Also, what weapon did you use? There's 14 of them and you might simply need to find the right weapon that fits you best.

I tried them all out in the training area but found that I enjoyed missions most when using the axe that also turns into a sword. It reminded me of Bloodborne, I guess!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It took me way longer than that for my first kill because I forgot how tonuse my weapon.

If you just use your weapon's basic attacks to hit stuff, it's gonna feel really slow and grindy. But, most weapons have mechanisms that allow them to be much more effective if properly employed. Understanding the mechanism of yoyr chosen weapon is knowledge part of the learning curve.

It's usually not that difficult to learn what you're supposed to be doing, but getting the hang of doing it, and how to apply it to each monster's behavior, is where practice/experience and skill come in.

A big thing that makes the real game fun is that while you're doing easier hunts learning your moveset and the areas, you're collecting poo poo that you use to make better gear. Because resources are always good, you're never really wasting time as long as you're having fun getting better at the game.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 10, 2017

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think MHW is releasing up against any other big marquee titles at the start of 2018 so it'll probably do well.

MHW is releasing on the same day as the new Dragonball fighing game. I'm pretty sure that is going to take some wind out of it's sails.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Montalvo posted:

I tried them all out in the training area but found that I enjoyed missions most when using the axe that also turns into a sword. It reminded me of Bloodborne, I guess!

Which one

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Olive! posted:

Which one

I assume he means the Switch Axe.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Good. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I like the wyvern blade a lot any tips to maximize damage?