Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cool screenshot, what ENB did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

VideoGames posted:

This is not the thread for this sort of thing.

You're right, it was related to Bethesda and I thought it was both horrifying and funny like a lot of mods, but there are other threads for this type of thing.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Have there been any good SE options for saving facial presets? I am using the Show Race Menu Alternative mod and would like to change some of my warpaint as a vampire. To do so though, I have to scroll back down into the correct race to get the sliders to work but it resets my current face data. I know the old standard RaceMenu mod used to do this but has not been properly ported over yet. Saw a mod or two that might have similar functions but looked too experimental to risk my current save game on.

Also waiting on a new, tested and stable, head tracking mod. The lightweight one I'm using doesn't work very well and some of the old ones look like they have some issues that need ironing out still. I'm tired of staring through the walls at the sleeping npc while ignoring the motherfucker talking to me two feet away.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Apparently RaceMenu can be made to work well enough to load presets. But there's some assembly required since the author doesn't want to release something where some functions work and other crash if you try to use them.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29624/?tab=posts

Also the experimental plugins require 1.5.16 at the moment.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I've been playing a bunch of Horizon, Fallout 4's one-stop semi-hardcore survival overhaul. It rebalances the difficulty to "tough but fair", rescues a bunch of orphaned mechanics and reintroduces real choice in character builds. After discovering that Requiem exists I'm interested in doing something similar for Skyrim, and I have some questions:

Is Requiem the standard for this sort of overhaul or are there any worthwhile competitors? If so, what ar their pros/cons?

Is Ultimate Skyrim as cool and stable as it claims?

If I'm interested in survival gameplay, is the Special Edition worth considering or should I just stick with survival mods for the regular edition?

MCM recently came to Fallout 4, and it's a bit of a pain to get it to work with MO2. Is that the case for the Skyrim version as well?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I think I may be in the predicament of having LAL lock the game up randomly, and I can't quite figure out why. I've tried doing things like moving it lower in the load order, disabling other scripted mods, etc., I've even tried installing outside of MO to try and see if that's the issue... no dice. I get random lockups and the only way to deal with it is to kill the process.

I guess I just need to bite the bullet and delete it altogether until I can figure out how to unfuck it.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Gonkish posted:

I think I may be in the predicament of having LAL lock the game up randomly, and I can't quite figure out why. I've tried doing things like moving it lower in the load order, disabling other scripted mods, etc., I've even tried installing outside of MO to try and see if that's the issue... no dice. I get random lockups and the only way to deal with it is to kill the process.

I guess I just need to bite the bullet and delete it altogether until I can figure out how to unfuck it.

This is anecdotal and may be of absolutely no help to you but I finally figured out my lockup issue. I was only getting it when outdoors and moving around seemingly randomly. I disabled survival mode and that solved it, but after tinkering some more I found it was Wet and Cold interacting with survival mode in unpleasant ways. I stripped out W&C and turned survival back on and have had zero issues since. Also using LAL but have not noticed any issues in my years of using it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

graynull posted:

This is anecdotal and may be of absolutely no help to you but I finally figured out my lockup issue. I was only getting it when outdoors and moving around seemingly randomly. I disabled survival mode and that solved it, but after tinkering some more I found it was Wet and Cold interacting with survival mode in unpleasant ways. I stripped out W&C and turned survival back on and have had zero issues since. Also using LAL but have not noticed any issues in my years of using it.

Ahhhhhhh that could be it. I hadn't even thought of W&C. poo poo. I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks!

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 14, 2017

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Even before Survival, I had problems with W&C locking up Special Edition.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Definitely seems like that was my issue. W&C just seems to be buggy as gently caress. I did get one random lockup but that might be a driver issue or something, not sure yet. That was one instance which happened after over an hour. Previously I would lock up every 10 minutes or so. Definite improvement.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kiggles posted:

Even before Survival, I had problems with W&C locking up Special Edition.

W&C also conflicts heavily with NAT (Natural and Atmospheric Tamriel) - it seems to think its always snowing and dusty everywhere. That and the options menu doesn't work to disable W&C in game. If you try and uninstall it of course your save file is kaput.

Short story: Wet & Cold is not worth it

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Just noticed this and thought I'd point out for anyone interested

SE
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14076
Classic
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/88401

Presently puts NPCs in sovngarde (Nords only) or Soul Cairne (soul trapped only) when their corpses are cleaned up after death.

Not sure how it is handled mechanically. Might be wildly incompatible with anything that edits named NPCs. Would recommend checking in xEdit.

Still, seems like it could be a fun novelty mod if any of you are the sort who like to actively grief fictional characters in ur fantasy games.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 14, 2017

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
That's a small touch that could only futher improve "immersion" if it works properly, thanks for the link.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've read the OP and the linked documentation, but I've still hit a bit of a snag (very) early in the setup process. I installed SKSE, created a SKSE folder in the \data folder, and plopped the .ini in there as instructed. It works fine if I launch from the SKSE .exe, but when I launch the game using mod organizer's SKSE option it throws up a message that the memory fix isn't installed. How can I tell skse through mod manager that the .ini is there?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Been a while but I'm pretty sure that error is nonsense and can be ignored.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Maybe try this: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51038/

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So is there a version of SPERG kicking around for SE anymore?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Been playing SE. Odd thing happened though. Stalleo, an NPC that asks you to reclaim his castle wasn't at his usual location near Riften. I was pretty confused, so I started debugging the problem with console. Turns out that he was wondering near a mammoth camp in Whiterun. What the hell happened lmao? I don't think I ever seen anything like that before.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Sounds like another poor sob got roped in by Ysoldas womanly charms.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Smol posted:

Been playing SE. Odd thing happened though. Stalleo, an NPC that asks you to reclaim his castle wasn't at his usual location near Riften. I was pretty confused, so I started debugging the problem with console. Turns out that he was wondering near a mammoth camp in Whiterun. What the hell happened lmao? I don't think I ever seen anything like that before.

I believe there is a sort of "panic" spawn location around there that handles NPCs that fall through the world or a few other states. Their AI kicks in eventually and they'll wander back to where they supposedly belong.

In closed cities, there will be one unique to each city that handles the same, which is why, every once in a while, you may get to the center of town or whatever, and a ton of people are there.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

TescoBag posted:

Not since the port was taken off Nexus.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

TescoBag posted:

The only one I had. It's from around January this year.

https://expirebox.com/download/98c7e7c1f3fbd63f47f87cb0c60710e0.html

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Admiral Ray posted:

Not since the port was taken off Nexus.

Whaaaaa-?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wait, is the SPERG guy a hugboxer now? I thought that guy was cool.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
No, whoever uploaded it to the SkyrimSE Nexus took it down themselves.

quote:

Now that SKSE64 is out this mod needs a proper port. I just did a half-assed version for myself that I thought others might want to use as well. Some things don't work and I can't support this mod.
It it's taken down there's a greater chance somebody will step up and do a proper port instead of seeing that there's one there already and no need to do it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

wiegieman posted:

Wait, is the SPERG guy a hugboxer now? I thought that guy was cool.

Nah, seorin (the author of SPERG) just hasn't updated it to SSE and might not, but doesn't care if anyone else does.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

drat, this actually makes me kinda sad.

You could replace the link with a wayback machine capture.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Smol posted:

I've done the Gildergreen quest several times and last time, for the first time ever, Maurice Jondrelle actually spawned in. I had no idea he ever existed or that there was an alternate route to the quest.
I did it again on a new character and he's missing again :v:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

When I gave feedback to EnaiSiaion regarding an unpleasant and seemingly unequally harsh interaction between Sacrosanct and Ordinator I, for some reason, expected a slightly more thoughtful answer than 'Just don't use it' from him. Yes, I know I can simply not use it. I mentioned it because it seemed incongruent with the other effects in the mod. I guess modders will be modders, no matter how good their mods are (usually).

For anyone wondering, Imperial Vampires with Sacrosanct get 25 magicka and stamina from shrines but the benefit is inverted (so like shorter shout cooldown becomes longer, etc). This on it's own doesn't seem good and doesn't match the other races all seemingly getting a straight up benefit. It was compounded terribly though by the Pilgrim line of resto perks in Ordinator which amplify the downside only. I'm not sure why the imperial racial is so decidedly bad, and I guess I'll never know.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

graynull posted:

When I gave feedback to EnaiSiaion regarding an unpleasant and seemingly unequally harsh interaction between Sacrosanct and Ordinator I, for some reason, expected a slightly more thoughtful answer than 'Just don't use it' from him. Yes, I know I can simply not use it. I mentioned it because it seemed incongruent with the other effects in the mod. I guess modders will be modders, no matter how good their mods are (usually).

For anyone wondering, Imperial Vampires with Sacrosanct get 25 magicka and stamina from shrines but the benefit is inverted (so like shorter shout cooldown becomes longer, etc). This on it's own doesn't seem good and doesn't match the other races all seemingly getting a straight up benefit. It was compounded terribly though by the Pilgrim line of resto perks in Ordinator which amplify the downside only. I'm not sure why the imperial racial is so decidedly bad, and I guess I'll never know.

One time I went to Nexus page for FROST, the Fallout 4 survival overhaul, to point out a pretty major level design flaw to the author. There was this point of no return close to the starting area where you'd drop down and had no way back up. From there there were two paths. One that lead to an impassable gauntlet of narrow walkways teeming with enemies that would spot you from half a mile away and instakill you the moment they touched you, and another that lead to a huge, sprawling area with plenty of goodies, spread out enemies you could actually fight - and a dead end. So by the time you realized that the only way out was through the impossible gauntlet, you'd already spent hours painstakingly killing, exploring and looting your way through the cul-de-sac and were now faced with the choice of either cheating or throwing away a whole afternoon's worth of progress.

His response? "You should have thought about that before jumping down."

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Terrorforge posted:

His response? "You should have thought about that before jumping down."

Goes to show that very few people have a good mix of being modest and getting poo poo done.

A New mod I adore is Snowfall ENB and I am just blown away by how good it is most of the time. How the distant effect and fogs hide the bad LODs, how it does not have that annoying blurry DOF effect and still makes everything feel cinematic and vibrant at the same time. The only downside is that its selling point can be disappointing since everything turns white when snow weather is active, even the flames in a furnace... The unpredictable weather can make taking screenshots a pain. Also finally switched out SFO with Veydosebrom and enhanced vanilla trees (lush) and I really like the effect and not dropping to 45 FPS outside. Some naive part of me is starting to think that I will be able to enjoy playing this game instead of just modding it soon.

Midig fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 17, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry if I overlooked it in the OP, but how does SKSE interact with Mod Organizer / how do I install SKSE for use with Mod Organizer?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

Sorry if I overlooked it in the OP, but how does SKSE interact with Mod Organizer / how do I install SKSE for use with Mod Organizer?

I will give the same advice I did earlier in this thread. Follow STEP until you are done with section 2E and only the core mods. By then you should have the basics down and save yourself from hours of frustration.

EDIT:

And you will be less likely to clutter up this thread.

Midig fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 17, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Install SKSE normally. Boot the game bu running SKSE_loader.exe via MO.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

graynull posted:

Im pretty sure Sacrosanct is no longer being worked on. While it's a nice thought, it really doesn't do anything new and Enai got sick of being asked to add new features. Im waiting for a more robust SKSE64 before playing again, but I think there's a port of BEtter Vampires for SE.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

OP doesn't have many sneak/stealth related mods - are there any you guys would recommend? I grabbed NARC and better stealing.

Raygereio posted:

Install SKSE normally. Boot the game bu running SKSE_loader.exe via MO.
Okay cool, I had to relaunch MO for SKSE to show up.

Midig posted:

I will give the same advice I did earlier in this thread. Follow STEP until you are done with section 2E and only the core mods. By then you should have the basics down and save yourself from hours of frustration.

EDIT:

And you will be less likely to clutter up this thread.
I've followed it mostly, some of the third party tool stuff is confusing me - do I really need DDSopt and TES5EDIT? I don't really understand the DX9 runtimes step of ENB - I extracted the dx archive but nothing is installable?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I've followed it mostly, some of the third party tool stuff is confusing me - do I really need DDSopt and TES5EDIT? I don't really understand the DX9 runtimes step of ENB - I extracted the dx archive but nothing is installable?
xEdit is probably the single best tool for modding Bethesda games there is. If you want to get started on modding any Bethesda-engine game, I'd really recommend getting familiar with it. Even if you're never going to create or edit any mod with it, being able to quickly see the content of plugins and compare multiple plugins to check for incompatibility is really useful and can save you the "poo poo is not working and I have no idea why"-headache.

As for DDSopt: Either because they don't really know what they're doing, or because they're operating under the "bigger textures == better" school of thought, a lot of the textures created by mod authors are way bigger then they have to be. Hitting the VRAM cap or having the game choke while trying to process a 100mb armour texture can obviously impact performance.
So it's less necessary, but can definitively be useful depending on the mods you're using and your hardware setup.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

OP doesn't have many sneak/stealth related mods - are there any you guys would recommend? I grabbed NARC and better stealing.

Okay cool, I had to relaunch MO for SKSE to show up.

As I said. THE CORE ONLY, that's the ones with a green bar on the left side. DDSopt you don't need if you don't go for textures above 2k, Tes5Edit you should go for. As you can remove issues with the Vanilla game, DLC, and mods that are added. It will save you a lot of pain down the line.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I don't really understand the DX9 runtimes step of ENB - I extracted the dx archive but nothing is installable?

You don't need to do anything special to "install" ENB. Just put the files in the right place and it'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't use ENB, use ReShade. It's much more user friendly and it lets you adjust things in real time.