Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In a quest to make money and fool around with trade, I picked up Venice. Considering their fate is to be kicked in by the Ottomans, I decided to try and snag Byzantine land before the Ottomans beat me to it. Sacrificing initial cash and manpower I have the option to take Constantinople and Morea (part of Greece). Is it actually a good idea to take Constantinople or will it result in the Ottomans immediately murdering me? I am allied to Austria and could easily get myself an alliance with the Papl States or Aragon. I was thinking of feeding Morea to Naxos for later diploannexin.g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you can prevent the Ottoman from taking it you're in a good position later on as it weakens them. Just get strong allies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Constantinople is good to have but keep an eye on the Ottomans’ missions. If they get “City of the world’s desire” they will come get it sooner rather than later.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If possible do take Constantinople (it has huge strategic and trade value) but make sure you keep a vassal Byzantium around one way or the other so you can declare on the Ottomans for their cores.

If you can get some decent allies and have beaten the Ottomans to Constantinople you'll probably be able to beat them in a straight fight.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

If possible do take Constantinople (it has huge strategic and trade value) but make sure you keep a vassal Byzantium around one way or the other so you can declare on the Ottomans for their cores.

If you can get some decent allies and have beaten the Ottomans to Constantinople you'll probably be able to beat them in a straight fight.

I would vassalize Byzantium but one half of their country is occupied by me and the other half is already occupied by the Ottomans, meaning I can't quite make them vassals sadly.

Ally wise I already have Austria and I could probably get The Papal State or Aragon on side.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you have enough WS to vassal them while the OE are still at war with them you'll get made the leader of a defensive war vs. Ottomans and will be able to call in your allies (probably, don't blame me if this doesn't work, I mostly just use this trick to avoid having to fight other peoples' allies). Venice + Austria vs. early game OE sounds doable if you have at least one good general.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

If you have enough WS to vassal them while the OE are still at war with them you'll get made the leader of a defensive war vs. Ottomans and will be able to call in your allies (probably, don't blame me if this doesn't work, I mostly just use this trick to avoid having to fight other peoples' allies). Venice + Austria vs. early game OE sounds doable if you have at least one good general.

Oh yeah I totally get that. My issue is that a vassalization is a 103 vs 130 against situation at the moment, and I fear that trying to fiddle and boost that decision making will lead to Byzantium peacing out with the OE. It's cool to get further expansion into the Ottomans but I'd rather fail and keep Constantinople than lose it all trying to be greedy. As it stands the occupation is half and half, with ticking warscore on my side.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 10, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Maybe take all you can but don't core it, wait for OE to take the rest, then release them? Or you could just wait for OE to peace out. If you control Constantinople, they shouldn't be able to take much, and then you can get what you want. Bonus points if length of war lets you vassalize them before that anyway, or the Mamluks or someone declare on them while their troops are busy standing around in Greece.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:v:

I think I'll easily be able to reach +55% combat strength for infantry. That might be fun. Just need a ton of admin points to finish Innovative ideas and wait for harmony to get high enough so I can harmonize with Shinto.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of Ideas Guy, what's a good set of ideas specifically for the South African trade empire route?

Anyone? I figure -20% development cost is the obvious first choice, but from there I get some serious analysis paralysis.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Do you want to blob hard? Anyway if you want to know my ideas:

Started in Lesser Namaqualand

traditions:
+20% tax
+2 colonists

(developing my starter provinces with my 6/6/6 ruler and heir let me scrape together enough cash to keep two colonists going after colonizing Cape)

And then ideas:
Idea cost -10%
Technology cost -10%
Morale of Armies +20%
Core-Creation Cost -20%
Discipline +10%
Global Trade Power +20%
Trade Efficiency +20%

Ambition:
Infantry Combat Ability +20%

Note that with the Discipline +10% I am already melting every enemy army I fight. you may want to swap the trade efficiency or power bonuses with the tax ones, or replace tax with production if you're not going to blob. However note that a lot of really good trade goods are in East Africa; lots of gold, ivory and slaves, with easy access to spices across the sea. I think you could definitely replace infantry combat ability and/or discipline with navy stuff or cost reductions for your infantry. If you're going tall, maybe forcelimits and manpower increases instead, or just your idea of -20% development cost (always great to pop institutions).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Army composition tips? Is as much cavalry as possible worth the extra cost in the early game or should I just go cheap and slap only a couple cav in each army? Advisors are eating most of my budget.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Army composition tips? Is as much cavalry as possible worth the extra cost in the early game or should I just go cheap and slap only a couple cav in each army? Advisors are eating most of my budget.

I always just blindly follow this guide: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ITH6oNHsIlVHo2LJnR92wP5LEKiON0k2rZJ82YbYaB0/edit#gid=0

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't care about cav at all unless i have mad bonuses or money. but early game is when they're useful, when wars are one/two battles long and you're looking to tip the scale or get a stackwipe

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Maybe take all you can but don't core it, wait for OE to take the rest, then release them? Or you could just wait for OE to peace out. If you control Constantinople, they shouldn't be able to take much, and then you can get what you want. Bonus points if length of war lets you vassalize them before that anyway, or the Mamluks or someone declare on them while their troops are busy standing around in Greece.

Thank you for that suggestion as the Ottomans (who wanted Constantinople but were perpetually stuck at 34 ws), just gave up, devouring almost all of Byzantine Greece, including Athens. Mercifully the cores are still all there though, at least for Greece.

This is a general question but when it comes to this, is it better to just vassalize all of Byzantium and then integrate them, or should I poach Constantinople for myself and leave them with just Morea?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SkySteak posted:

This is a general question but when it comes to this, is it better to just vassalize all of Byzantium and then integrate them, or should I poach Constantinople for myself and leave them with just Morea?

Vassalize the smallest Byz possible, eating the rest for yourself, then feed them their cores back.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Anyone? I figure -20% development cost is the obvious first choice, but from there I get some serious analysis paralysis.

I started in mexico as High American and took -10 tech and -20 dev.. You start with fuedalism Its very easy to spawn ren and colonial institutions.. I also just systematically destroyed every neighbor with no concern for AE.. By the time i owned all of central america (about 1490) i was already #8 great power.. Get the colonists but put them further down the line (when you can better afford them) So many goldmines in Mezico make colonizing way easier.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Counterpoint: Ideas Guy in the new world is boring as hell

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

Counterpoint: Ideas Guy in the new world is boring as hell

Im still in my infancy with eu4, but i am enjoying bopping colonizers on the head and stealing their colonies

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's kind of amusing once it gets going but the first 200 years are just waiting, mostly.

Also, back to creating a virtual end node: do I collect in Zanzibar with a merchant? I have 87% trade power there and 90% in Cape. Do I then steer away from Cape or also collect there? Or am I supposed to move my center of trade to Zanzibar and collect with a merchant in Cape?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the best ideas guy is bornholm in the baltic. get austria up 100 relations and join the hre and then go hogwild dominating trade nodes with super soldiers

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

oddium posted:

the best ideas guy is bornholm in the baltic. get austria up 100 relations and join the hre and then go hogwild dominating trade nodes with super soldiers

I did that run. Its pretty unfair how ridiculous you can make armies with ideas now with all of the shock/fire damage ideas they added in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

It's kind of amusing once it gets going but the first 200 years are just waiting, mostly.

Also, back to creating a virtual end node: do I collect in Zanzibar with a merchant? I have 87% trade power there and 90% in Cape. Do I then steer away from Cape or also collect there? Or am I supposed to move my center of trade to Zanzibar and collect with a merchant in Cape?

Make Zanzibar your trade capitol and collect there without a merchant. Use your merchants to steer trade from India and Indonesia. You can't steer trade from Cape to Zanzibar, so you pretty much have to ignore it. That's what people mean by a buffer zone. If you control all the provinces in Cape, it prevents any colonizers from propagating any trade power upstream to Zanzibar and stealing your trade value. You effectively turn Zanzibar into an end node like Venice if you control all the power.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On an unrelated note, AI armies sitting around drilling their asses off is really annoying. Might as well just give the AI +10% discipline.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Talking to a friend about ck2 conversion. Apparently you used to be able to start in 1444 with absolute monarchy if you had absolute crown authority. Is there a new reward for that now that Absolutism exists? I mean it was pretty ridiculous and op anyway, but that's still a fun thing.

I could check myself but :effort:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Your reward for having max crown authority is directly controlling all of your land upon conversion, otherwise you might end up with some vassal nations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mountaineer posted:

Your reward for having max crown authority is directly controlling all of your land upon conversion, otherwise you might end up with some vassal nations.

I think all you need for that is more than min crown authority (at least according to the wiki)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

On an unrelated note, AI armies sitting around drilling their asses off is really annoying. Might as well just give the AI +10% discipline.

Well, that's what they get for mostly not actually using their armies or spending their cash on expanding. Seems fair.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does drilling even cost anything? If it raises maintenance it can't be by more than 5% or something.

I find it hilarious to sneak attack someone who is drilling if the borders are good for it. Hello unfair stackwipes. Always make sure to declare war on the first of a month so you have more days before their morale recovers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it would be nice if Prepare for War got allies to stop drilling. you're not going to help me blitzkrieg at 5% morale or whatever dog. also if Prepare for War wasn't insanely dumb and essentially cost double favors

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think drilling would be a lot better if they just got rid of the zero morale thing, because that makes me want to never use it. Make it so that stationary armies are always drilling by default, but you can turn it off to reduce maintenance. Then also get rid of the maintenance slider.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I think drilling would be a lot better if they just got rid of the zero morale thing, because that makes me want to never use it. Make it so that stationary armies are always drilling by default, but you can turn it off to reduce maintenance. Then also get rid of the maintenance slider.

The best use for drilling is to turn your maintenance to 0 and put 1 regular unit on drill with all your mercs to recover them for free

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

the fact that drilling decays while reinforcing makes sense but sucks. make reinforcing units that are drilling have exponential gains or something to get them back up quicker. i dunno

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Drilling armies suppress unrest just as good as when they stand around doing nothing. Of course you obviously shouldn't let rebels spawn on top of your no morale army but it's quite convenient at times.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hey yo question: do special event advisors that cost half price keep that half price if you upgrade them

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oddium posted:

hey yo question: do special event advisors that cost half price keep that half price if you upgrade them

They sure do.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a particular colonization strategy? Just as many going as you can afford? Like recall early to claim more land? Does it matter?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Is there a particular colonization strategy? Just as many going as you can afford? Like recall early to claim more land? Does it matter?

Priority is to get 5 provinces in each colonial region to establish independent colonial nations, then they can colonize on their own. If you're Catholic it also mostly blocks other Catholics from that region.

You can go over your colony limit by recalling early but that's almost certainly a bad return on investment. Colonizing in general has a very long-term payoff.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Priority is to get 5 provinces in each colonial region to establish independent colonial nations, then they can colonize on their own. If you're Catholic it also mostly blocks other Catholics from that region.

You can go over your colony limit by recalling early but that's almost certainly a bad return on investment. Colonizing in general has a very long-term payoff.

I also like to get a big jump start on trade power in the Caribbean because all of the upstream nodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So, if Munster invades Cologne and takes Westfalen, and I later attack Munster and take Westfalen myself, and the Emperor demands i return the territory, it would actually go to the Emperor rather than one of the previous owners? (Going from the wiki, playing Ironman...)