Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'll answer what I can:

For the bandolier - yes. Just follow my instructions above.

Potion belt is just a UI feature (shift+p by default, also under eq button -> inventory -> potion belt I think). Drag your potions to a slot and you're done. They work from bags even! That's not a big deal if you're playing Live though (but it is a big deal on TLPs).

For dual-boxing: depends on the server. Yes, you need a second account. If it's TLP, you'd have to sub on 2 accounts because they require subs (or krono). Lots of Live players sub on their "main" toon, then run box crews on FTP accounts. And/or use a lot of krono.

Sub doesn't come with expansions (https://www.everquest.com/membership). I'm not a live player, but I'm pretty sure buying the latest expansion gets you all the previous ones. I'm not sure what F2P has in regards to expansion content, but I *think* F2P doesn't have the latest expansion (but has the previous ones, maybe?)

They have FAQ that should address some of this poo poo: https://www.everquest.com/faq but you'll notice "How much does EverQuest cost to play?" references Call of the Forsaken as the latest expansion...which was released in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
If you have not purchased any expansions, you will have access to all expansions minus the two most recent. If you buy the most recent expansion, it unlocks all previous expansions. Membership is completely separate. Having a membership enables, among other things, non-poo poo tier mercs, unlimited AAs and the ability to equip prestige gear.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What server are you on?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Phinigel or however its spelled. TLP server.

I'll be on ALL day today, so a goon group would be awesome!

Thanks to all of your for explaining this mundane poo poo. Surprisingly, EQ has a lot of layers to it.

Pilsner posted:

Go right ahead and ask, no worries about spamming.
I of course recommend my own UI (I play Zliz), which you can find here. It's up to date and minimalist, just a more clean and more tidy version of the default UI.

Thank you for this! The skin looks great.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

So, I can't use any of the multitude of potions I bought.. I tried using them from bags, using from hotkeys, using from potion belt - nothing. Their text is in purple - does that mean I can't use them at lv10?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 10, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Knowing you're on Phinigel helps a lot. So yeah, the "buy remotely" thing is tied to an expansion that isn't live yet on Phinny.

I don't know what a purple name means, but the potion will have on it "Req Level", which means "required level" if it has a level restriction. I bet you're not using it correctly though. Some notes:

-You can't click items that are within bags (yet - that unlocks with a later expansion).
-You CAN click them from an open inventory slot - the ones you put your bags in. You have 8 of them (and depending on your UI, potentially 2 others that are grayed out).
-You have to RIGHT click them to use them. From the potion belt, and from your inventory.
-To use them as a hotkey, they still MUST be in an open inventory slot.

WELCOME TO EVERQUEST!

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Haha that explains it. Things just got a lot easier, thanks!

By the way, my kurn's tower group is LFM, pst if ur lv10+ on phinny to (char name: Chabuddy)!

Seriously though, someone please friend me, so I dont have to ask all my dumb questions in the thread =(

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
A lot of people like to poop on druids but they are still a great class. My box is a Druid, and he can heal for days and still sit at full mana. The only thing that druids are lacking right now is group heals, but you do have 2 AAs to help with that. Granted my box Druid is better geared than some of the mains in my guild b/c he’s the only super active Druid.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Just so I can get this straight before I buy all this stuff...

I'm an SK. I want to dual-box a Druid. I'm also only subscribed, and not up to date on expansions...

So in order for me to do this, is it correct that I need to...
1. Purchase the most recent expansion
2. Purchase and subscribe a second account for the druid

Right?

Will I have to buy the most recent expansion on the druid account as well, for it to be up to date?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
No, you're on Phinny. TLPs don't have the latest expansions, far, far from it. When they do, they become normal live servers. Don't buy any expansions on any character to play on Phinny or Agnar (or the other TLPs, but they're pretty barren).

You will need to sub or use krono on any account that you want to play on a TLP.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Ok great that's good news. So all I need to do is sub one more account to dual box. Np.

Is there a way to cycle through mobs for targeting? Or do you have to manually click on them?
I thought it used to be just hit "tab" and it cycled through, but that's only for allies now apparently.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
There's a key for it, just look around in keyboard controls

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Ok great that's good news. So all I need to do is sub one more account to dual box. Np.

Is there a way to cycle through mobs for targeting? Or do you have to manually click on them?
I thought it used to be just hit "tab" and it cycled through, but that's only for allies now apparently.

You can rebind that key, go to the keys section in the options and fiddle with it to your hearts content. Same with the chat filters. they can be heavily customized.

I don't know if it was mentioned or if you know it, but on Phinny it's a truebox server, so you have to have separate computers for each account unlike the live stuff where you can just run a bajillion instances of EQ at once.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Oh bummer about needing 2 PC's on TLP.

Do any goons have some Kronos they want to sell for Paypal? I have PM's enabled, or in game as "Chabuddy"

It's going to be awhile before I get my AA mount. I see there are a selection of mounts in the /marketplace. Allakazam doesn't seem up to date on their speeds. Are all the mounts the same speed in the marketplace, or is there like a "fastest" mount? They're all at least SoW speed probably, right?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 11, 2017

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

It looks like there's only 2 really populated TLP servers, Phin and Agnarr. (sp?) When new content (expansions) are released on each server, is there a group of guilds out there that are still raiding "new" content when it comes out?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Tons. http://phinnyprogress.com

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Dennis McClaren posted:

Don't forget on Agnarr and Phinigal you cannot dual box on the same computer, 2nd account has to be on a separate 2nd machine.

Edit: someone already said this, I didn't finish reading thread before I thought it was relevant to mention. Worth mentioning a second time though!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You can actual duel box on the same PC without a VPN.

Downloaded the installer from the eq site.
Download EQ off of steam.

And play. This worked as of a few weeks ago. Not heard anything about it being changed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I had gotten the feeling that GoD and Omens killed some guilds, and was thinking that Phinny might be on its downward slope. And surely it is - every TLP has drop-off after PoP. I know for a fact some guilds folded during this time (not just my old one), but I did quick counts on Phinny Progress:

Guilds clearing in-era:
PoP- 20
GoD - 19
OoW - 18
DoN - 13 (which has been out like 5 days)

Not at all bad. I know 4-5 guilds folded during GoD/OoW, but looks like new ones took their places. I suspect DoN numbers will be like Omens in another couple of weeks, as the casual guilds catch up and get through progression and mission grinding. Phinny really has some life in it.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Oh yeah, that's what's so inspiring for me now - that there is a possibility of actually still being able to raid and enjoy end-game content with other players. PoK is pretty busy, the bazaar is busy, and I've had no problems finding people to talk to. Sadly, most of my gabbing is about b.s. newbie questions, but I will have all that out of the way soon.

I might try the dual-boxing with the Steam method; or I may just get another cheap $150 refurb laptop off newegg just to tool around with. I need a 2nd laptop anyway.

How does haste work today? Is it still king for melee/dps? I know the FBSS and an alacrity stack, but does haste gear stack?

And with HP regen, is it still king also? For instance, does having a fungi tunic regen you +15hp per tick IN COMBAT?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
They haven't changed how Fungi works, no.

I assume Haste still works like it used to, in that only your highest% source counts. So like, a Cloak of Flames and FBSS don't stack.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
HP regen works in combat, but we're waaaay past really caring about fungi or whatever on Phinny. Maybe if you're in a true newb group or early level solo'ing without buffs it's still helpful.

Haste is a big topic, but here's the simple rules. There's 3 parts of haste: item haste (v1), spell/song haste (v2), and overhaste (v3). The cap on v1 and v2 combined will be 100%. V3 haste is added on after everything else. For each part, only the highest effect will count. So...

Items: lets say you're wearing a 36% and 46% haste items.
Spells/songs: You have enchie haste of 40% and bard song of 60% on you
Overhaste: You also have a bard song of 25% overhaste on you.

Top item will give you 46%. Top spell/song will give you 60%. That's 106%, but the cap on v1 + v2 is 100%, so plus your baseline 100%, you have 200% haste. Then the bard song can go into overhaste, so that's 225%.

There's probably weird exceptions or one-off pedantic nonsense to that, but that's the big picture that'll make you fine. Just look at your haste stat, if it's at 225%, you're a max haste. 200% is max before overhaste (bards don't get an overhaste song until the 60s, and I don't think there's any other sources of overhaste? Maybe there is, or maybe there's some coming soon, I dunno).

And yes, if you're melee, haste is huge. You always want the most haste you can get.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

(Very) Surprisingly, that was all easy to understand, and I get it. Thanks so much for the clarification.

So, as an Iksar SK, doing most of my leveling soloing - should I invest in a fungi tunic?

Or, while we're on the subject, would you all please tell me how you would twink out an Iksar SK?

So far I know to look for -

Cloak of Flames
Fungi Tunic
Reaver

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 11, 2017

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Other than looking badass, the SK 1.0 epic is poop. Don't waste resources on the Reaver. Well, I guess the proc lifetap was alright but seriously, that quest is/was balls dumb.

Cloak of Crystaline Waters will probably be cheaper than a Cloak of Flames and still be good for a SK. This may or may not be true. Check the bazaar.

Fungi is always a good investment but I'd not pay krono for it. It loses its usefulness in velious and is only good for downtime when soloing.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I'm a little confused about my inventory. I only have 8 slots. But I have a mount, a quiver, and numerous potions. Sadly, asfaik the mount, quiver, and each bloody potion requires them to be out of bags and in an inventory slot to use.
Is this the case? Or am I missing something here?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah in-bag item use comes in a much later expansion. That's why potion belt became a thing (until it was superceded by in bag item use)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I get the feeling DoN marks the start of a modern EQ feel. For those that play Live - do you agree with that?

Obviously as TLPs go on they slowly keep getting modern features obviously. Luclin gives you AAs, PoP gives you PoK, etc. It's obviously a very gradual process, but DoN feels like it just reached a tipping point.

First you get the bandolier and potion belt. Guild lobby now has all the NPCs and features you'd expect, plus the guild hall for even more teleports. And probably the biggest thing to me - we progressed via the mission/quest/task system. That's how most expacs go from here on out, right? Expac drops, maybe you grind missions for faction, and take a series of tasks for progression?

And there is of course still things to come - mercs stand out. Clicking from bags (even though, grand scheme of things, that's pretty recent too). Extended target window. AA autogrant. But with the task system being used now, along with having everything else, really feels like this is indicative of how the game goes.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm a little confused about my inventory. I only have 8 slots. But I have a mount, a quiver, and numerous potions. Sadly, asfaik the mount, quiver, and each bloody potion requires them to be out of bags and in an inventory slot to use.
Is this the case? Or am I missing something here?

Ditch the quiver, you have spells to pull don't need to use a bow, and even then a quiver is only really useful for a ranger as it gives bow attack speed, for everyone else its a non item.
The mount you can equip in one of your range slots, ammo I think? some slot up there by range.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Givin posted:

Other than looking badass, the SK 1.0 epic is poop. Don't waste resources on the Reaver. Well, I guess the proc lifetap was alright but seriously, that quest is/was balls dumb.

Cloak of Crystaline Waters will probably be cheaper than a Cloak of Flames and still be good for a SK. This may or may not be true. Check the bazaar.

Fungi is always a good investment but I'd not pay krono for it. It loses its usefulness in velious and is only good for downtime when soloing.

Reaver is not shadowknight epic 1.0, Reaver is a Velious Statue(?) drop that is lvl 1 usable 40/40 2hs.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I'm getting the message that Phinigel is locked. What's that mean? Is there scheduled downtime today?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yep. There's a red banner on the forums when it's down.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php

They also post mesages in News and Updates: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/server-downtime-december-12-2017.245788/#post-3608458

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Are the Daybreak EQ forums worth a hoot? Or are there other modern EQ forums out there I'm not aware of?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Really just this thread, official forums, and reddit I guess. I find the most activity on the official forums.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Krazuel posted:

Reaver is not shadowknight epic 1.0, Reaver is a Velious Statue(?) drop that is lvl 1 usable 40/40 2hs.

That's right. I was thinking Jade Reaver and ranger/druid epic. I forgot about the SoRZ 2 hander drop. We used to dump that thing on Skeletons in Nek forest back in the day for newbies to find since we all either had primal 2 handers or NToV drops.

If they could kill the thing. 2 handers used to make mobs OP as hell before they nerfed it. A skeleton that spawned with a rusty two hand sword was king poo poo back in the day and got trained many a time to the newbie log.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Today's patch shat on beastlords at least on progression. QQ

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How do you get more bag space? Is it as simple as going over to one of the merchants and buying a "backpack" or a "large bag"?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do you get more bag space? Is it as simple as going over to one of the merchants and buying a "backpack" or a "large bag"?

You have 8+ inventory slots depending on what server you are on and you can buy bags to put inn each slot, backpacks can go up to 40+ slots per bag.
Cheap vendor bags are like 8 slots, more are more expensive ones you can buy from players on the bazaar or from the /marketplace.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I suppose this question is mostly for Pilsner ; or anyone that uses the Zilz U.I...

How can I make all the fonts bigger? I can barely read my chat window, the words are so small.

In general, I would like to make pretty much everything in the U.I. bigger. Is there a way to do this?

Also - got to lv20 today on Phin server! I've been in a bunch of groups, and /friend the guys I've been with. Hasn't really been hard, spent most of today in Unrest, Paludul, and maru's seru with a 4 man group. I'm having a blast, I love the iksar SK.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Anyone itt playing on live/playing the new expansion? As someone utterly fascinated by EverQuest's longevity I'm curious to hear how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dennis McClaren posted:

I suppose this question is mostly for Pilsner ; or anyone that uses the Zilz U.I...

How can I make all the fonts bigger? I can barely read my chat window, the words are so small.

In general, I would like to make pretty much everything in the U.I. bigger. Is there a way to do this?

Also - got to lv20 today on Phin server! I've been in a bunch of groups, and /friend the guys I've been with. Hasn't really been hard, spent most of today in Unrest, Paludul, and maru's seru with a 4 man group. I'm having a blast, I love the iksar SK.
I've never toyed with fontsize, but it seems there are two ways. First a command:

/chatfontsize #

For example /chatfontsize 5

Some people online report that this is not saved reliably, and that you have to dig into the .ini files that store your UI settings. Open your EQ directory and look for a file named UI_<Charname>_<server>.ini, for example UI_Dennis_Phinigel.ini. Look for lines named something like this:

Chat_Window{x}_FontStyle={y} where x is the window # and y is the font size.

Since you can have multiple chat windows, edit the numbers accordingly.

Regarding scaling the UI, that is sadly impossible as everything is defined in pixels in the XML files that describe the UI. You'd have to manually, painstakingly edit each and every UI element to make them bigger. Alternatively, reduce your screen resolution if possible.