Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Are you sure your battery meter is correct? I never see the battery saver on my 360/2 either, it just thinks there's 70% left when in fact there's zero. I actually don't know where it shuts off but I do know that after a day's use it thinks there's about 70% left and from there it won't last another five hours. As far as I can tell the battery meter is a complete fiction.

I'm pretty confident the meter is correct. I pushed it to 1.5-2 days quite a few times over the summer. I've also killed it in a single day a few times but that is not the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Has anyone else's 360/2 stopped going into desk clock mode while charging? Mine has now for three days, right when it got that last Wear update. The only way to make it work is to reboot it while it's on the charger and then only until I remove it.

Yup. Also had difficulty coming out of that mode in the morning. I reset my watch over the weekend and it's better, but still kinda slow.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Had a weird issue this morning where my Fossil Q founder (1st gen) attempted to pair itself to my phone again. The pairing codes were different on the phone and watch. Then when I went to the android wear app on the phone I was able to initiate a re-pair which worked successfully.
No idea why it lost the pairing in the first place. I did have my phone on the opposite side of the house from the watch last night, which is different.

I've also had trouble with it no longer reacting to "OK Google". It successfully transcribes voice if I manually start the assistant by holding the button, but it absolutely refuses to bring up the assistant via "OK Google". Then after I restart the watch it'll work for a while again. Since I only use voice on the watch a couple of times a week, it's usually broken when I try.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My HWatch has prompted to re-pair a few times over the last few weeks and currently doesn't seem to be working over Bluetooth at all. 90% of my day is spent in places with WiFi so I don't really notice but there may be something up with the latest update.

My phone's bluetooth is occasionally just wonky though, so it may be just me.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

foutre posted:

My Pebble is dying, and I'd like to get a replacement smart watch. I really like the notifications, and wouldn't mind having a few more basic apps (ie controlling music etc).

I was thinking about getting a Zenwatch 3 or Moto 360 2nd gen, just because I like the way they look and they're on sale.

Are there other watches I should look at? Also, are wear 2.0 notifications annoying enough I should maybe be looking at Samsung Gear instead, or is it still decently usable?

I recently switched from android to iOS and then my pebble died.

Dreading getting an Apple Watch I decided to try-before-you-buy a gear S3 with amazons somewhat exploitable returns policy.

Pretty impressed. Gets me notifications. Tells me the time. Might be lacking in some functionality being connected to a iPhone. But eh. It does what my pebble did. And still has more than two days of battery life (but nowhere near the 10 I got on my pebble)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why doesn't anyone else release a recessed Sapphire screen like Huawei gen 1

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vice President of Android Wear engineering David Singleton has left Google

https://9to5google.com/2017/12/01/android-wear-engineering-lead-david-singleton-leaves-google/

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
If he's the rear end in a top hat responsible for aw 2 being so much worse than 1.5, then good riddance.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear 2.0 devices which are scheduled to receive the Android 8.0 Oreo update:

Fossil Q Venture
LG Watch Sport
Louis Vuitton Tambour
Michael Kors Sofie
Montblanc Summit
Casio PRO TREK Smart WSD-F20
Casio WSD-F10 Smart Outdoor Watch
Diesel Full Guard
Emporio Armani Connected
Fossil Q Control
Fossil Q Explorist
Fossil Q Founder 2.0
Fossil Q Marshal
Fossil Q Wander
Gc Connect
Guess Connect
Huawei Watch 2
Hugo BOSS BOSS Touch
LG Watch Style
Michael Kors Access Bradshaw
Michael Kors Access Dylan
Michael Kors Access Grayson
Misfit Vapor
Mobvoi Ticwatch S & E
Movado Connect
Nixon Mission
Polar M600
TAG Heuer Tag Connected Modular 45
Tommy Hilfiger 24/7 You
ZTE Quartz

Devices which are NOT on the list:

ASUS ZenWatch 2
ASUS ZenWatch 3
Fossil Q Founder (Original series 1 release)
LG G Watch R
LG Watch Urbane
LG Watch Urbane LTE
Moto 360 (Generation 2)
Moto 360 Sport
Huawei Watch (Original 'Huatch')

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Well, I guess my Moto 360 v2 had a good run. They battery has been doing that thing where it just dies at 75% also.

Probably gonna pickup one of those Fossil watches if I can find a good deal on one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gonna keep using my 360/2 until it won't make it through the day anymore. Beyond that, I'll see how easy it is to replace the battery or look at something else.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
ZenWatch 3 isn't getting it? It only came out last November, didn't it?

Haha. Welp.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Keep in mind that just like on phones, Google is pushing new features and functionality via updates to the Google Play Services app, not via system software updates.

Still, it's lame that that the Android Wear ecosystem will now enjoy the same OS version fracturing as the Android phone ecosystem.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Rastor posted:

Devices which are NOT on the list:

ASUS ZenWatch 3

god dammit.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edit: NM maybe bad info.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 11, 2017

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried a Misfit Vapor? I'm very tempted at 185.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
So now that Huawei has put the HWatch1 on the black list, what wear watch is there with NFC, GPS, sapphire glass and a sombre design(so pretty much like the HWatch1 with updated internals)? The HWatch2 lineup looks like ali-express copies of casios so i'm not fond of them.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think such a watch exists. Everything is either huge or ugly or lacks NFC.

The Movado Connect has a pretty nice design and NFC but I would say it is far too expensive.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tunga posted:

Has anyone tried a Misfit Vapor? I'm very tempted at £185.

There are one or two goons with one if you search the thread. They said it's great except the battery life maybe not so hot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tunga posted:

I don't think such a watch exists. Everything is either huge or ugly or lacks NFC.

The Movado Connect has a pretty nice design and NFC but I would say it is far too expensive.

Huge is not an automatic skip for me, ugly or lacking nfc/gps on the other hand is. The movado doesn't seem to be on sale tho. Shame about the fossil Q series, the designs would be perfect(don't need a hr sensor after all, when i do running sessions i use my polar H7 sensor) if they had a nfc+gps chip inside.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 11, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Target has $20 off for every $100 you spend right now. The fossil watches can be had around $150-$160

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I'm happy with my Fossil Q explorist. I've had it about 5 weeks now. It doesn't have a lot of features but it does the basic things well and looks good too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Devonaut posted:

I'm happy with my Fossil Q explorist. I've had it about 5 weeks now. It doesn't have a lot of features but it does the basic things well and looks good too.

Tempted to upgrade my Moto360 gen 1 to one of these. The newer Android Wear versions look so nice compared to this.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Protocol7 posted:

Tempted to upgrade my Moto360 gen 1 to one of these. The newer Android Wear versions look so nice compared to this.

Ah, yeah that's what I had before, I loved that watch. The battery gave out a while back and I just didn't see anything worth replacing it with at the time.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Tunga posted:

Has anyone tried a Misfit Vapor? I'm very tempted at £185.

I've had it for a month or so now. It's good. I like it. Check the post history.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I've had it for a month or so now. It's good. I like it. Check the post history.
Thanks, I had a look back. Can you comment on the battery life? If it's better than a Moto 360 v1 then I'm probably sold. I know you said it wasn't great initially, how has it been since? I'm also not sure how many hours that was giving you.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 12, 2017

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I stopped using the Misfit tracking app altogether because it doesn't really suit my needs, and I think that helped significantly. I also never turned on "Ok Google" detection, which I only mention because I saw a post on Reddit suggesting that turning it off increases overall performance, which I'm gonna confirm I guess because the watch runs way smoother than my Huawatch2 *ever* did. Yesterday I worked a 10hr day and went to the gym after and got home with ~50% battery. I went ahead and turned "screen always on" back on cause gently caress being weird about battery life. One of the Misfit digital faces is really mellow and doesn't draw a lot of power I guess so anyways that's a long rear end way to say "yes, good, do the thing"

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 13, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I stopped using the Misfit tracking app altogether because it doesn't really suit my needs, and I think that helped significantly. I also never turned on "Ok Google" detection, which I only mention because I saw a post on Reddit suggesting that turning it off increases overall performance, which I'm gonna confirm I guess because the watch runs way smoother than my Huawatch2 *ever* did. Yesterday I worked a 10hr day and went to the gym after and got home with ~50% battery. I went ahead and turned "screen always on" back on cause gently caress being weird about battery life. One of the Misfit digital faces is really mellow and doesn't draw a lot of power I guess so anyways that's a long rear end way to say "yes, good, do the thing"

How does it charge, Qi or pogo pins? Does it have a desk clock mode while charging?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Sounds absolutely fine for me. I don't need any of the fitness stuff. Thanks!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

LastInLine posted:

How does it charge, Qi or pogo pins? Does it have a desk clock mode while charging?

Pins. There have been a lot of complaints about the magnet strength that are well founded, it does kinda suck, but I set it down on a nightstand that I don't then play Scrabble on or whatever and it's fine. No desk clock mode, just a splash screen that shows a digital clock and charging status that eventually turns off.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Also got a misfit vapor, very solid experience so far. Usually end up with 60% battery life at the end of the work day with ambient screen off and ok google detection off. Miss having a speaker on it but the microphone works well for dictating text responses and such. For 200 bucks it's a pretty good deal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

One last Vapor question since I'm sure I'll end up with one at some point: It does have an ambient light sensor, right?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

One last Vapor question since I'm sure I'll end up with one at some point: It does have an ambient light sensor, right?
I checked this too and found this Reddit thread which suggests that it does (see image in comments), and various articles from earlier in the year list it in the specs too. So hopefully that's correct.

Edit: Just noticed that thread references (but doesn't link to) a Tweet from early November. I found that Tweet here:

https://twitter.com/Misfit/status/926497450734612482

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 15, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah I knew they claimed it did, I just wanted to verify. Thanks for the info.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Amazon finally got stock of the Vapor, at least the black / black band color:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074G2THXZ

Currently showing as $140 (30% off).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hmm, that's cheap enough that I could justify buying just by virtue of being a different color than my Moto 360 2.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I also wanna mention how jazzed I am that the Vapor takes any universal 20mm strap. I immediately swapped out the thin, almost delicate black standard strap with a thicker leather cheapo one from Walmart and it immediately made the watch more distinct and cool looking. I ordered a red silicone strap from Barton on Amazon and I'm gonna wear that out for the first time today and it's going to match my shoes. I need about 30 more straps so I can mix and match I'm freaking out you guys!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

On the opposite end of the Android Wear spectrum, I just got an Emporio Armani Connected watch.

It's a noticeable step up in almost every way that I care about from the Urbane 2 LTE, which was a bit surprising. Very premium looking/feeling, snappier UI, much better charger, quite a bit thinner. Even has a functioning rotating crown like the LG Watch Sport. Downsides include 1mm worse bezels than the Urbane 2 (negated by my black background on the editable Armani face) and a steel band that doesn't have micro-adjustments, and of course I'm right in between two links.

Very happy with it overall. Small wrist havers should not consider though, reminder that the moto 360 looked like this on me for comparison.

edit: also seems to have a light sensor without a flat tire?? Oh my, the times we live in.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 17, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got my $140 Misfit Vapor today to bolster my wonky battery Moto 360 2. It's pretty nice so far, the added PPI over the Moto 360 2 is really noticeable. I'm a little worried about OLED burn in long term, but it does help it seem like a real watch by have absolute black levels.

It's a bit more nondescript and 'techy' looking than the Moto 360 2, no one's going to be mistaking it for a designer watch. Ordered a couple replacement 20mm bands to upgrade from the included silicon ones.

The 44mm case is a bit smaller than I would like for my wrist, but it doesn't look hilariously small either so it will do.

It's hard to argue with the price of this thing. If it lasts another two years, then it would be money well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

Amazon finally got stock of the Vapor, at least the black / black band color:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074G2THXZ

Currently showing as $140 (30% off).

Now also available for order in the Rose tone / Nude band color combo:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074F1SBYY/