Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

L-O-N posted:

I thought Magus Bride would be my favorite anime of the season, but this beats it hands down. It's pretty funny because I've read both manga's and I remember liking Magus Bride's manga quite a lot better. HnK's manga was good but not great for me. Orange has done a spectacular job in terms of music, voice acting, comedic timing, and choreography.

Apparently this is doing pretty well in Japan? I would love a second season.

Have picture of the great Phosphophyllite

Mineral Classics Hall of Fame

Wow, Phos has a killer beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

L-O-N posted:

Phos: :v:

e: someone edit some eyes onto that rock. tia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad we all agreed to not use gendered terms for the gems, thanks everyone.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm just going to say that I really appreciate the show for having nonbinary/agender characters. It means a lot to me because people like to say that people of different genders are quintessentially different even down to the soul level so it's pretty cool that this story pretty much goes against that traditional ingrained belief/:biotruths:.

I don't think people who use gendered pronouns are doing out of malice or anything (except for a certain resident poster who's being very idiotic lately), so that's fine. Nonbinary topics are still pretty new to everyone, and it might take time.

Also, next episode might have dogs in it, but everyone is still going to die.

e:

L-O-N posted:

fixed

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 10, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes. Good.

I realize I want to see the gems wear hats now.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/notryein/status/939869014817251328

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Endorph posted:

im glad we all agreed to not use gendered terms for the gems, thanks everyone.

why tho

its a girl p clearly to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

authorial intent, the clear point of the story, etc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Jesus Christ

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

why tho

nice

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wild Horses posted:

why tho

Niichan though. The show's pretty heavy with Bort using only the most masculine pronouns too. Deliberate choice of the author.

Edit: If there any girl gems in the show, it's Sensei. They are the most mysterious of the cast.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 10, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
This is a show about the great science of geology not LGBT wish fulfillment

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Except it kinda literally is wish fulfillment because Japan is extremely strict with enforcing traditional gender roles towards Japanese women. :(

Edit: you can't deny my "Kongo is the only actual gem woman" theory, can you?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 10, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

EagerSleeper posted:

Except it kinda literally is wish fulfillment because Japan is extremely strict with enforcing traditional gender roles towards Japanese women. :(

Edit: you can't deny my "Kongo is the only actual gem woman" theory, can you?

dis is being sarcastic

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Me after watching this show then reading this thread

https://giant.gfycat.com/OrnateEnlightenedChinesecrocodilelizard.webm

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm a geologist and rocks can't talk or have feelings

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this should just switch from long hair phos to short hair phos

anyway the last time we got into this argument one of the guys arguing the strongest against using gender-neutral pronouns like they or them turned out to be a guy who argued that sex change operations are bad

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 10, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

me watching the show where a feminine but agender person has a voice whisper in their ear that they should harm themselves because their body is imperfect and useless and nobody lets them do anything due to it: wow this extremely isnt about gender

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its probably right for us to refer to the gems as thems and theys but i think it's a mistake for translators to change the way they refer to one another because there's a reason that they use those terms. but i dunno maybe they got with the author about it and she was cool with it?

also i'm surprised its a thing now since no one cared about "yellow nii-sama" back in ep 6

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

lets hang out posted:

its probably right for us to refer to the gems as thems and theys but i think it's a mistake for translators to change the way they refer to one another because there's a reason that they use those terms. but i dunno maybe they got with the author about it and she was cool with it?

also i'm surprised its a thing now since no one cared about "yellow nii-sama" back in ep 6

Yeah, but there can be multiple reasons why the author might choose a certain word for the character to use, for instance when people hear "Boku" they often think it is just a male pronoun, but it also implies youth and immaturity so it can be hard to tell what connotations the author wants you to take from a particular word choice, even more so for people who are not fluent in japanese.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

EagerSleeper posted:

you can't deny my "Kongo is the only actual gem woman" theory, can you?

it would be pretty rad

i think this sci fi story about rock people is not going to give them any gender though because gender to them has no purpose

what i will agree on is that the story very well could be a vehicle to express some concepts that would be "complicated" to tell in japan

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

lets hang out posted:

Might also be because there is no agendered term for a sibling in Japanese.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Yes, we goons and our posts are obviously superior to the disgusting Reddit hordes and--

*reads last two pages of thread*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5z2-hpZB1w

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I'm about to start gendering everything. I'm Spanish and I have no regards for mineral life

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

irony levels are getting critical

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Aurora posted:

irony levels are getting critical

I don't think any of the gems are made out of iron.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

I don't think any of the gems are made out of iron.

tell me more, weird dude that genders the gems

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Do Phos's golden alloy arms being accepted and animated by their inclusion organisms mean that there could potentionally be beings similar to the gem people, but made out of metals?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

RottenK posted:

Do Phos's golden alloy arms being accepted and animated by their inclusion organisms mean that there could potentionally be beings similar to the gem people, but made out of metals?

I think being transparent or at least translucent is important, to absorb light. Even though I still think Sensei is a carbide, the fragments floating around in the screenshots a few pages back are transparent and the finger snap to make them suggests they aren't coming from somewhere else. I don't think we've seen any gemfriends that are entirely opaque.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Has anyone said "gemder" yet?

(I'm trying to stick to singular "they", but it often leads to ambiguous phrases. Like "It isn't Phos' fault that they have to hang around with this bunch of assholes who only care about them to the extent that they're useful to them.")

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

King Cohort posted:

Yes, we goons and our posts are obviously superior to the disgusting Reddit hordes and--

*reads last two pages of thread*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5z2-hpZB1w

Never thought I'd say this but I agree with those redditors

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Speaking of being translucent for photosynthesis, did anyone notice in episode 4 that King eats with her tentacles on the bottom?...

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
^^^well he's a jellyfish that's where their mouths are

Ranzear posted:

I think being transparent or at least translucent is important, to absorb light. Even though I still think Sensei is a carbide, the fragments floating around in the screenshots a few pages back are transparent and the finger snap to make them suggests they aren't coming from somewhere else. I don't think we've seen any gemfriends that are entirely opaque.

but Sensei has no translucent parts on his body, so i would assume that the way the light gets converted into energy doesn't require that

mostly i just like to think that there's an academy of cute androgynous huge fuckoff metal golems somewhere else on the planet, living in perfect peace because the lunarians don't dare approach their mighty fists

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

L-O-N posted:

Speaking of being translucent for photosynthesis, did anyone notice in episode 4 that King eats with her rear?...

Well yeah, I'd sort of assumed that everyone noticed that since octopuses and squids and such all have their mouth down there.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

RottenK posted:

but Sensei has no translucent parts on his body, so i would assume that the way the light gets converted into energy doesn't require that

I'd figure the powder doesn't block UV or IR or whichever wavelengths they actually feed on, but on the other hand we've not seen that Sensei actually wears the powder. Again, the fragments though.

Plants are green because they don't absorb as much green for photosynthesis as red or blue. One could argue this is why they leave their 'hair' uncovered. Because the inclusions don't appear to block or absorb visible light, I wouldn't figure they absorb it for sustenance, instead they abosrb UV or IR.

Or, maybe, each gemfriend's inclusions have their own 'diet', and each only thrives when their inclusions match up with the wavelengths that can pass through their material. The 'failures' on the coast are those whose inclusions' needs don't match their transparencies. Bort could absorb a lot of IR, and the large surface area would help. Few of the others would absorb IR at all.

I doubt the source material is quite this nerdy anyway.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 11, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dzhay posted:

Has anyone said "gemder" yet?

(I'm trying to stick to singular "they", but it often leads to ambiguous phrases. Like "It isn't Phos' fault that they have to hang around with this bunch of assholes who only care about them to the extent that they're useful to them.")
I mean context clues makes that sentence pretty understandable.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

are you saying you don't want bort to step on you?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

boredsatellite posted:

are you saying you don't want bort to step on you?

Well Dia wants to step on Bort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What are the gems going to do with 256 lunarian dogs? That's just way too many.

• Locked thread