Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just used my S3 LTE on a run for the first time. Absolutely love only needing to bring my headphones and watch instead of lugging my massive phone around with me.

Couple questions regarding the Strava watch app though. It seems broken as hell.
- It kept auto-pausing and resuming on the first quarter-mile of my run or so. I assume this is because the GPS was trying to get a lock after it disconnected from my phone? Also, after a few miles, it would just straight-up not auto-pause when I stopped to wait for a traffic light.
- I tried swiping to a different screen mid-run, and it auto-paused. Is this really how it's designed to work? If I touch the watch, it auto-pauses? I was hoping it would just auto-pause if I'm stopped.
- After the first mile, it stopped giving me auto-cues about my distance and split time. It worked fine after mile 1, but I never got any subsequent audio queues.
- The run isn't showing up in the Activity app as a workout at the bottom, like it would for Strong (strength workout) or anything started in the Workouts app.

Anyone else seeing these issues with Strava? Is it just a piece of poo poo app?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
First off: what does Strava give you that Activities doesn’t? Strava shines on a bike, but runners don’t really cover enough ground to have popular segments.

The Watch app used to be cool when it was just a quick display for the phone app and a way to integrate Watch heart data.

Then people demanded untethered stand-alone tracking and Strava said “we can’t do it both ways, but here’s what you all asked for.”

Now it’s standalone-only and it all sucks. If you involve the watch, you get no live segments, no access to extra sensors like cadence and a lot of crashes that lose entire workouts. If you start from your phone, you get no Watch heart rate, and no quick view.

Thanks for giving users what they “wanted,” Strava.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You can easily have segments on runs. There's a billion of them in my town for Garmin. I don't really care too much about segments, but anyway...

It sounds like the standalone Watch app is just garbage.

I was hoping to use Strava, since that's what most of my friends use. I can just try RunKeeper next time to see if it's less garbage and use Taparik to sync them. Kind of annoying to have an extra step to sync, but whatever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It sounds like the standalone Watch app is just garbage.

Honestly it kinda is and it doesn’t seem like they really want to invest that much into it. It works ok at best but I still have no clue why we can’t activate beacon mode from the watch directly.

I really regret giving them money for premium.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the ESPN complication kinda crappy or am I missing something?

I’d like to be able to pick which game it shows me the score of on the watch face, but it seems to only show the score of the top game in the list of currently playing games.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Re:Strava - I use it almost every single day for cycling and running and while there are a few annoyances, overall it’s great for both.

The Good:
-I can leave my phone at home and go run and get my Strava tracking with the convenience of glancing at my wrist for quick pace/HR/distance checks
-Audio cues have been working fine for me, both thru Bluetooth headphones and if I don’t have headphones connected
-Auto pause for cycling works like a champ

The Bad:
- Auto pause for running is worthless so don’t bother
- for some reason I get multiple alerts that my “activity is ready to sync” on both my watch and my phone even after I’ve synched my activity and it’s annoying as gently caress

Honestly it works just fine for my needs, calls out my splits while running. I just use it to track my cycling and don’t actively check my watch while riding. I wait until it’s uploaded to my phone to actually check the activity data.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
iSmoothRun has a pretty decent watch app that is highly customizable. You can have it automatically export your runs to whatever services you want, including Strava, Runkeeper, Nike+, and (my favourite) Smashrun. I mostly use Smashrun but like certain aspects of Strava -- this way, I don't have to choose one over the other, I just upload to both.

I have a Series 2 so I generally don't run just without my phone, but it supports "watch" and "watch + phone" modes. I know there are plenty of options for audio cues from the phone, not sure if the watch mirrors them without the phone around.

Yes it's a paid app, but it's absolutely worth it as far as I'm concerned. It's well maintained and feature rich.

edit - http://www.coachmag.co.uk/fitness-apps/7026/the-one-app-runners-with-an-apple-watch-should-download

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 8, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I totally forgot about Nike+. I’ll give them a shot.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I just figured out that the flashlight mode dials up the brightness when you turn the watch away automatically.

I have been tapping it once and getting blasted in the face.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I'm looking for a weather app to replace Apple's weather app. I would like the small complications to be similar (just a number for temperature, and an icon for weather conditions), but the underlying app to be better. Specifically, I'd like to (also) see the temperature for the coming hours when I tap the complication. I don't mind paying for it but a monthly subscription is a bit much since the stock weather app does nearly everything I'd like.

I know you guys will suggest Dark Sky and Carrot weather, but I'm in Europe and they suck here/are not available.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LPG Giant posted:

I'm looking for a weather app to replace Apple's weather app. I would like the small complications to be similar (just a number for temperature, and an icon for weather conditions), but the underlying app to be better. Specifically, I'd like to (also) see the temperature for the coming hours when I tap the complication. I don't mind paying for it but a monthly subscription is a bit much since the stock weather app does nearly everything I'd like.

I know you guys will suggest Dark Sky and Carrot weather, but I'm in Europe and they suck here/are not available.

I like BeWeather. It's a one-time payment, the Watch app does what you want, and the phone app is highly customizable.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
After a few months of realizing I just don't use my watch enough, I've decided to put it up for sale.

Series 2 42mm Space Gray if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843032

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I like BeWeather. It's a one-time payment, the Watch app does what you want, and the phone app is highly customizable.

This is great, thanks! It even has a small (corner) complication with both conditions and weather!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is there a big enough difference between the s2 and s3 if I don’t need cellular? Thinking about upgrading and the s2s are pretty cheap right now. I currently have an s0.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Depends how much you value a faster CPU. I have a S3 and love it, but this was my first AW.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I ended up getting an S2, black stainless with Milanese loop for $569. I don’t really need or like the Milanese loop so I’ll probably sell it with my S0.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Depends how much you value a faster CPU. I have a S3 and love it, but this was my first AW.

Twinsies

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone with the Series 3 cellular having issues with the cellular? I hadn’t need to use it in the past few weeks (since I got the X, really) but tonight I went out and forgot to bring my phone. Turns out my watch no says I have no data plan (and to go to the Watch app in the phone). The Watch app on the phone shows my plan under “not in use”. Trying to add a new plan just says I already have a plan and it just “finalizes” it saying my watch is ready for cell use.

Sooo I have no idea what’s going on.

EDIT: turns out the fix was easy. Needed to completely remove the plan then start over. It appears the watch sim is tied to the device (my previous phone) so it didn’t carry over when I upgraded phones. Everything is working now.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 11, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I ended up getting an S2, black stainless with Milanese loop for $569. I don’t really need or like the Milanese loop so I’ll probably sell it with my S0.

If you're able to return it & interested, Best Buy has the 42mm black stainless steel S2 with sport band for $429. Might work out better in the end; adding a Milanese Loop to a S0 probably won't bump the resale value +$150.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Argh. Ever since the latest watchOS update Siri always verbally responds when I invoke it on the Watch even if I have it set not to.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Is it possible to have Apple Watch pair with two different phones? Would like to have it function as a pager for both my personal and my work iPhones.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No. Multiple watches per phone, but not the other way around.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Anyone else suddenly lose Watch “Hey Siri” and the Watch Siri settings after the last update? Series 0.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Molten Llama posted:

Anyone else suddenly lose Watch “Hey Siri” and the Watch Siri settings after the last update? Series 0.

Glad it isn't just me. I knew my Watch was new and that maybe I had used Hey Siri before but I'm glad I'm not crazy.

Edit: Got it to work again by turning the Hey Siri setting off, then powering cycling the watch and flipping the setting on again.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 13, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone else unable to reply to slack messages? I hit reply and it crashes to watch face.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm trying to decide which Apple Watch to pick up, I don't think I need cellular or GPS, I rarely use Siri, I really just want it for notifications. Any reason in particular I should choose a Series 1 or Series 3 over the 2?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I'm trying to decide which Apple Watch to pick up, I don't think I need cellular or GPS, I rarely use Siri, I really just want it for notifications. Any reason in particular I should choose a Series 1 or Series 3 over the 2?
That was me and I went with a series 2. I just use my watch for fitness and notifications.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Three Olives posted:

Nope! For once, you're not wrong. (Sorry I had to, old thread title and all.) Just don't go through Apple refurbished, and check out places like B&H Photo and Best Buy for heavy Series 2 discounts. Stainless steel Series 2 is especially discounted.

If you're set on aluminum, and can find a Series 1 for less than a discounted Series 2, then that wouldn't hurt, either. All you'd be sacrificing is the GPS, slightly better waterproofing, and a brighter screen (not that big a deal; I went Series 1 -> Series 2 and didn't have any major trouble seeing the Series 1 in direct sunlight.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would definitely check prices on a Series 2, but other than that, nah. There were definitely really good deals to be had for awhile.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I managed to get a series 2 42mm sport for $250 a few weeks ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I use siri more than I thought I would, but it also works fine on Series 2.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I sold my iPhone 7 and shipped it off, but I can’t get my new iPhone for about a day or so, so I went today just using my Apple Watch (I did have my work phone and my iPad).

I didn’t make many phone calls or do Music, but using the watch for a bit of messaging and staying connected to LTE from 930am to 730pm, made it the day and still have 40% battery life to go. Not bad.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Molten Llama posted:

"Hey Siri" quit working for me too. I just now finally got it working again by downloading the latest software update on my phone.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Molten Llama posted:

Yes, but I am running beta on the phone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I'm wanting a aluminum sport watch in silver and it looks like all the major retailers are sold out, the only one I could find is the Nike+ for $300 at Best Buy and I don't like the band.

So that leaves a Series 1 or a Series 3. I see no particular need for a Series 3 but I'm feeling like if I am already going to spend that much money I might as well buy a Series 3 LTE. Any opinions? I feel like I am really leaning towards the Series 1.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I'm wanting a aluminum sport watch in silver and it looks like all the major retailers are sold out, the only one I could find is the Nike+ for $300 at Best Buy and I don't like the band.

So that leaves a Series 1 or a Series 3. I see no particular need for a Series 3 but I'm feeling like if I am already going to spend that much money I might as well buy a Series 3 LTE. Any opinions? I feel like I am really leaning towards the Series 1.

You know the bands are trivial to switch out and cost just a few dollars right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah that is a strange reason to not get what you want.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mattfl posted:

You know the bands are trivial to switch out and cost just a few dollars right?

I mean I would rather have a Apple OEM band than a cheap knock off but I guess it doesn't matter that much. Same with the Nike+ but there is no difference between the Series 2 and Nike + besides the band, some extra watch faces and a logo on the back, right?

edit: I was just about to order it and it's sold out anyways, they had them yesterday.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of cheap knockoffs, sport loops are available. I’ve never tried a real one to compare, but from mine and other people posting about theirs, the main issue seems to be that the band on the 42mm is narrow. I’m guessing they just use a single width for both 38 and 42 to save costs. The little end piece is supposedly a bit fatter on the knockoffs too. Fabric wise someone mentioned the real ones are nicer, but the ones I’ve gotten seem fine on their own at least. I ordered two and on one the Velcro isn’t aligned against the end so the last little bit is kinda flappy.

Edit: and looking at the two laid out just now, they’re completely different lengths by over an inch :v:

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

I have 7 bands and the only one that ever gives me trouble with the lugs is the 3rd party one. It’s leather and wasn’t cheap either. But sometimes I have to struggle hard to get the band to come off. All the Apple ones I can remove in an instant.