Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bombadilillo posted:

Couldn't beat the expert with bow. Ran out a time. Felt like I was kicking it constantly. Maybe I'm missing something.

Couple things I noticed with my bow play is that you need to be really up in the monsters rear end in a top hat to get critical damage. Test it out in the training area, that's a good way to get a feel for where you need to be. Hitting weakzones is also really important, for Anjanath (expert) focus on his head, back, and the base of his tail. Generally you want to be doing charge shot->powershot for the initial bit of the fight. Once the monster enrages, switch to a more reactive style of play. Keep aiming but use your dodges to get your charge shots off (instead of manually charging them) and be judicious with power shots. If you get the monster in a trap or paralyze, charge shot->arrow rain->dragon piercer is MEGA damage, especially head on so you get the full dragon piercer. A full dragon piercer from Anjanath's head through his tail is is like 200 damage, it's insane (that's more than double a regular GS charge on a weakpoint). Dragon piercer in general is really good since it has much longer range, but you won't get many openings for it in solo play unless you make them yourself.

If you get a trap down and have full stamina, a great way to maximize damage is to get in front of the monster's face and then charge shot->power shot->backdash->charge shot->backdash->charge shot->backdash->charge shot->dragon piercer. That whole sequence will last about as long as a trap and puts out damage in the hundreds. You'll also be nice and safe far away from the monster since it's guaranteed to enrage after that.

Constitution is going to be pretty required on Bow in my opinion, the evade->charge shot is so fluid and so powerful.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Thanks for the writeup! I noticed the charge shits just happening but wasn't sure it was the dash. I'll have to watch a how to video before the game proper. Those numbers sound huge and awesome. On the other hand. Switch Axe sword doin like 33 a hit while infinitely comboing....so still gonna main that.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Prel posted:

Holy gently caress, despite being sorta veteran with horn and using it for most of the beta so far, I didn't figure this poo poo out. You can play multiple songs back to back during a performance, and then encore all of them in one motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Om_khNu2g

They added so much horn QoL in this game.

ffffffffffffffff this rules

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I need an idiot walkthrough of how charge blades work. I've watched a couple videos, but I can't recreate the sword boost.

Charge shield by filling vials, switching to axe and canceling out of a super. Got it. Now boost sword mode is supposed to be holding triangle during a vial charge. It plays the same animation as in the videos, but I don't get the sword boost. I don't get it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there's two "levels" of charge before you get the boost

also if you hold it too long it over charges and you get nothing I think

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Snak posted:

I need an idiot walkthrough of how charge blades work. I've watched a couple videos, but I can't recreate the sword boost.

Charge shield by filling vials, switching to axe and canceling out of a super. Got it. Now boost sword mode is supposed to be holding triangle during a vial charge. It plays the same animation as in the videos, but I don't get the sword boost. I don't get it.

Once you have red shield, be in sword mode. Do the phial charge input (R2 + O). After the animation starts, hold down triangle. You'll see the shield start to spark and then it will clamp down/lock on to the blade. As soon as it does, release triangle, you'll do an overhead sword slash, and you'll get red sword buff for a while.

e: and yeah I think if you charge it too long it doesn't work, I had best success letting off triangle right after the shield locks in.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Seriously it's because if you hold it too long it doesn't work. Lol.

Thanks guys.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Snak posted:

I need an idiot walkthrough of how charge blades work.

Unequip the charge blade, use an insect glaive. QoL improved by 1000%.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Well I thought the charge blade was best, but turns out it’s the hunter’s horn. That thing is a monster! It has the status effects and damage of a hammer, but a ton of buffs to go along with it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hunting horn has always been great but drat. They improved is so much. You can learn all you buffs for a weapon and just have them. Sweeet

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Turns out I suck with all weapons. Hurray.
Insect glaive is way too complex for me. Is sword and shield the most simple weapon?

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 11, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sword and shield is simple mechanically but it isn't easy to do well with it because it's weak and really short range

simple weps are like great sword, long sword, dual swords, hammer, maybe guns?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Insect glaive is way too complex for me. Is sword and shield the most simple weapon?

Hammer is probably the simplest. Just hit poo poo

SnS is all about using a bunch of items. So simple weapon to access a more complex system.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

lets hang out posted:

sword and shield is simple mechanically but it isn't easy to do well with it because it's weak and really short range

simple weps are like great sword, long sword, dual swords, hammer, maybe guns?

DS has some pretty rough stamina management early on, ditto Long Sword and the spirit gauge.

Insect Glaive is probably simpler than either of those tbh.

Personally I'd put Hammer, Switch Axe, Bow as the easiest weapons for a new person to pick up and play decently.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nobody talks much about the lance, but it was the first weapon that really clicked with me.

It's a lot like being a defensive boxer, just grappling and working the body until they keel over.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Switch Axe goes from real good. To insane when you learn it. Sword or axe mode are a 100 viable weapon by themselves. When you git gud it's just incredible. It's damage output in the demo is crazy

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

RC Cola posted:

Use the hammer. Strong, simple, and stunning.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Great sword is deceptive because it is mechanically simple but very timing intensive. Almost all of your damage comes from getting off charge attacks, which lock you down a lot. I found this to actually make it a great weapon for really learning fights though; you're forced to start recognizing patterns and identifying openings where you can get big damage in.

e: also, GS is metal af, so there's that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is there a way to do the spinning aerial smash with the hammer when you're not sliding?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Prel posted:

Great sword is deceptive because it is mechanically simple but very timing intensive. Almost all of your damage comes from getting off charge attacks, which lock you down a lot. I found this to actually make it a great weapon for really learning fights though; you're forced to start recognizing patterns and identifying openings where you can get big damage in.

e: also, GS is metal af, so there's that

I remember the first MH demo I played I tried the great sword and got my rear end kicked and it put me off the series for a bit. It's a terrible first try weapon. Probably why the demo defaults to switch axe :getin:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

Longsword is the first weapon that clicked for me because it is responsive, has decent reach and good mobility. It's damage comes from continuing to successfully hit the enemy in a sustained fashion. Yeah, there's more to it than that, but it's much more forgiving that some of the more timing sensitive weapons.

If you're playing multiplayer, don't trip your teammates.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Seriously though IG is a hella easy weapon. You have essentially one attack string to learn and then you just focus on keeping up your buffs and getting mounts. You move quickly with it out and attack quickly so you don't really get locked in place or punished, and you have a ton of aerial mobility.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is the bug upgrade unfucked? I liked ig before but I couldn't keep it leveled and the bug upgrades broke my brain

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would not recommend GS to any new player, it is one of the least interesting weapons and most dependent on monster knowledge to make it not be uninteresting

Not quite sure I'd recommend the switch axe either as it's more technical, but it is a hella cool weapon and you can do some work even without switching forms

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jesus, long sword is kinda :eyepop:

It feels like it has a ton of power for comparatively little effort, but I'm sure there's a downside I'm not noticing. Tons of fun, though.

Given that this'll be my first MH game, how easy should I expect it to be to craft and play with a bunch of different weapon types?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Is the bug upgrade unfucked? I liked ig before but I couldn't keep it leveled and the bug upgrades broke my brain

Yes. Its a much more sane system than the ones in 4U/Gen.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's not hard. Since you always have access to earlier hunts, you can craft a cheap weapon of a new type and just go take in on a hunt of the appropriate level to try it out. So yeah, keeping a large number of weapons at your current gear level is going to be more time consuming, but there's really no barrier to experimenting. At least that was my experience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

It feels like it has a ton of power for comparatively little effort, but I'm sure there's a downside I'm not noticing. Tons of fun, though.

Given that this'll be my first MH game, how easy should I expect it to be to craft and play with a bunch of different weapon types?

It does take some work to get different weapons as you get further in, but I suspect it will be easier to try new things in world because you can now un-craft things for a refund of the resources used to craft them. In theory this means you'll be able to make the barroth hammer, decide you hate it and dismantle it to make the barroth lance with those materials, or whatever.

In practice this won't be perfect because weapons are crafted from trees, but it should help. Previously you also had to make different armor sets for gunner vs blademaster armor, and that system has gratefully been removed, so you can switch to a bowgun after simply making the bowgun instead of having to make a gun and entire armor set.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Insectglaive kinda rules.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
fuk u capcom for no PC version at the same time

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

It does take some work to get different weapons as you get further in, but I suspect it will be easier to try new things in world because you can now un-craft things for a refund of the resources used to craft them. In theory this means you'll be able to make the barroth hammer, decide you hate it and dismantle it to make the barroth lance with those materials, or whatever.

In practice this won't be perfect because weapons are crafted from trees, but it should help. Previously you also had to make different armor sets for gunner vs blademaster armor, and that system has gratefully been removed, so you can switch to a bowgun after simply making the bowgun instead of having to make a gun and entire armor set.

I'm glad you can on break down that precious fire elemental weapon and turn it into something else.

It's such a huge quality of life paradigm shift in this game it's awesome.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 11, 2017

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Man, Dual Blades feel super powerful in this demo. My kill times with them are like half of other weapons. I was even able to kill Diablos in a little over 10 minutes.

Looking online, and that seems to be the general consensus of a lot of other people too. Of course this is the demo so it doesn't really mean much.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Insectglaive kinda rules.

Note on insect glaive, for anyone new to the series: shooting your kinsect out probably feels pretty bad right now because you can upgrade that bug a ton as you progress in the game. It'll eventually have like double or triple the range and speed of the one you have in the beta, if past games are any indicator. The late-game bugs typically also have secondary bonuses such as increased duration for the buffs they give you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna have to take a bow out for a final hunt tomorrow, and if I like it, I think I'll have a good array of weapons I like.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Harrow posted:

The main downside for the LS is maximizing damage. Hitting a monster's weak zones is often three to four times more effective than hitting a resistant area. The LS has very wide slashes, attacks rapidly, and has a relatively high amount of innate movement in its attacks. All of this combines to make it relatively hard to get the majority of your attacks onto a weak zone. Compared to say, the GS, where the damage is extremely concentrated in single, precise instances. Since the LS is also more of a sustained damage weapon, rather than a bursty one, it doesn't take quite as good advantage of things like traps or status effects. There's also a bit of a multiplayer stigma attached to LS, in that it's sweeping Spirit Combo attacks are the premier tripping (wherein you hit and stagger your teammates) instrument in the game. Which is not a good thing.

That being said, I think the LS is one of the best starter weapons, if not the best. It has relatively simple mechanics (build meter with triangle, spend it with R2) and it's designed around its limitations, so you can be relatively effective just chopping away at a monster's ankles and flanks with the LS, whereas doing the same thing with a GS or something would take forever. It also has a lot of forgiveness built in due to its long reach and rapid attacks, making missing harder and less impactful per attack.

Don't be fooled into thinking it's a newbie weapon though, it has quite a bit of nuance to it once you get into it. Particularly with the new additions, the Spirit Helm Breaker and the Foresight Slash. Really maximizing damage with it is a bit of an art at high levels and once you get it down you can just dance around a monster, never ceasing your onslaught of blows. It's one of my particular favorites, especially for solo hunts, where I don't have to worry about irritating my teammates.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Prel posted:

Holy gently caress, despite being sorta veteran with horn and using it for most of the beta so far, I didn't figure this poo poo out. You can play multiple songs back to back during a performance, and then encore all of them in one motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Om_khNu2g

They added so much horn QoL in this game.

MH World was made for me, guns and horns are hot as fuuuuuck

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Huge news regarding DLC for MHW: https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/940060116602175489 Confirmed that we WILL be receiving entirely new monsters in DLC. That's a first for the series and means the roster size at launch isn't nearly as much of a concern. Makes the game being updated entirely through DLC and not via G-rank re-releases more likely as well.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Capcom ain't about to leave that money from annual release cycle off the table though so expect to have to pay for some sort of upgrade eventually

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Is tripping even still a thing? I took the LS out on a multiplayer hunt and I don't think i saw anyone trip when were all hammering the same knocked over monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

imweasel09 posted:

Is tripping even still a thing? I took the LS out on a multiplayer hunt and I don't think i saw anyone trip when were all hammering the same knocked over monster.

I tripped a few times and I made a couple people stumble once or twice I think, but definitely not as much as I probably should have been considering I was just wildly flailing around with giant sweeping attacks the whole time.